• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Xbone, getting banned from XBL maybe revokes(?) access to your games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a guy who had over $1000 in XBLA games/DLC and he, like an asshole, flashed his 360 and got caught playing forza early. He lost everything. Games, DLC, gamerscore, username... everything.

DrBo42

Also illegal under Australian law. w00tw00t.

Is Steam legal in Australia? Pretty sure if you fuck up and breach their ToS it's the same deal. I'm kinda excited for this solely from imagining some racist little piece of shit kid being unable to play anything.

You guys assumed otherwise? Seriously? This is the case for the Xbox 360 as well, just since your games are in disc format and not tied to your account, you don't lose that.

All your arcade games/games on demand/DLC? Gone if you get banned.

Ya this seems possibly illegal. Unless the ToS REALLY says you do not own your games and your just legally renting them from MS and they have the rights to cancel that at any time.

That ToS doesn't mean jack shit in most countries (US included).

You guys assumed otherwise? Seriously? This is the case for the Xbox 360 as well, just since your games are in disc format and not tied to your account, you don't lose that.

All your arcade games/games on demand/DLC? Gone if you get banned.

You act like that makes it okay?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It's like the Xbone is an experiment to see how much dicking a consumer will take.

...and there are still people who are eager to buy one.

shaowebb

TROLLS WILL EAT THIS POLICY UP.

Think about it...troll report random users in hopes of getting them a ban. They get banned and they pretty much can never use their damned system again and they lose their entire games library offline. Can they even buy games again for the console in this scenario?

Get a troll who ends up having you banned and they cost you HUNDREDS of dollars!?

I posted this in the other thread in like, the same minute, because I wasn't sure it was thread-worthy. Apparently it is! I should just do or die from now on. :p

Can't wait for the first false ban wave.

Instead of just being unable to play online for a week tell it was fixed, now you can't play the system.

/clap

IrishNinja

hot mess

wait, i don't recall them banning accounts much though this last gen, wasn't it just the boxes that'd get banned for bootlegging/breaking street date etc? not that this isn't a potentially big issue here, just trying to see how it'd even come to that. i mean, they're not quite origin forum-banning level yet i guess

Canon

Banned
OK with all this news, Microsoft is actively TRYING to fail. Why are people buying this shit (based on preorders)?

Guess this is a good time to remind everyone that MS watches what you put in your Skydrive folders and they'll ban you if there's something in there they don't like: http://wmpoweruser.com/watch-what-you-store-on-skydriveyou-may-lose-your-microsoft-life/

Dutch user ‘WingsOfFury’ had uploaded 9 GB of content, and suddenly found his Windows Live account suspended, meaning he lost access to his Hotmail, Xbox Live, could not purchase apps and could of course not upload anything to SkyDrive.

After contact with Microsoft support he found out that his account was blocked because there was a folder on his SkyDrive that contained content which was not allowed by the code of conduct of Microsoft SkyDrive. The folder was a private folder, not shared to anyone else.

Be careful.

I don't know, this is one thing i don't mind. The ultimate ban-hammer to dissuade the many assholes that populate xbox live from being ... assholes.

Man, microsoft support personal is going to be such a cluster - fuck of a job for the upcoming generation.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Will wait till I see an official announcement before jumping to conclusions.

Eusis

I thought this was known.

Anyone know if that's the case with PSN? I don't think it is with Steam.
Think it used to be, on Steam, but changed to it sort of being frozen. Forget what happens with bans on PSN, but at worst you'd still have your physical games anyway. I kind of expect Sony won't be much better, but the difference there is that it's not as if everything's tied to your account period.

If any of them are smart enough they'll divide it between online play and only console bans. That way if you're an asshole online you're quarantined from others, and if you hacked your console it effectively doesn't exist to them anymore.
I don't know, this is one thing i don't mind. The ultimate ban-hammer to dissuade the many assholes that populate xbox live from being ... assholes.

Man, microsoft support personal is going to be such a cluster - fuck of a job for the upcoming generation.
WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP DEFENDING BLOCKING GAME ACCESS. For fuck's sake YOU PAID FOR THAT, WHO GIVES A SHIT IF YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE. That's why quarantining from others socially makes more sense, within the area of games anyway.

hot mess

wait, i don't recall them banning accounts much though this last gen, wasn't it just the boxes that'd get banned for bootlegging/breaking street date etc? not that this isn't a potentially big issue here, just trying to see how it'd even come to that. i mean, they're not quite origin forum-banning level yet i guess

Werent thousands of people banned because they were victims of some kind of Fifa hack, and it took them months to get it sorted out?

Wynnebeck

Banned
fWpJY1n.jpg

Ponn

Banned
I'm always surprised by GAF being lttp, we were discussing this weeks ago. What part of registering your physical copies to your xbox live account and DRM were people not getting?

Has there been any other device that could essentially ban you from your content this much?

I always expected this but didn't see it confirmed until now.

Holy shit.

So we're listening to Xbox Live support now?
Your Xbox Live family of 10 people can all share 1 Xbox Live gold membership.
And your Xbox Live family of 10 people can all play different games out of your collection at the same time.
And you can play all your games at the same time as another family member.

1 family member could play your Halo with you.
Another could play your battlefield.
Another could play your Forza.
Etc

Or do we only believe XboxSupport when it is bad news for Xbone?

So Microsoft would like to not just kill used game sales but new game sales as well, amazing.

TROLLS WILL EAT THIS POLICY UP.

Think about it...troll report random users in hopes of getting them a ban. They get banned and they pretty much can never use their damned system again and they lose their entire games library offline. Can they even buy games again for the console in this scenario?

Get a troll who ends up having you banned and they cost you HUNDREDS of dollars!?

Xbox Live doesn't work like that. They actually DO look at every complaint and do have a team dedicated to this stuff, and do take everything seriously.

Plus getting reported many times doesn't get you banned permanently (or banned at all). Very few things get you banned from Xbox Live permanently. Console Modding (and your system is banned), account modding (Only your account is perma banned), and stealing from the Marketplace (account only as well).

if they ban you you can't play your games at all anymore

people are going to buy this console, people are going to knowingly and willingly buy this console.....

blamite

Is it so hard to just keep banned players from interacting with veryone else without taking everything they own?

Also how ill this impact family sharing? Take the game away from all 10 people if the owner is banned?

I'm sure the end result of all this is everyone will act in a cordial manner on XBL. And everything will be peaches and cream, by golly.

Amir0x

Banned
Wow. WOW. I thought they'd at least allow you to keep authenticating your legally owned games on the internet.

This is honestly one of the worst things they've announced yet. THIS must be what Cboat meant by the DRM policies actually being WORSE than we think

Edit: Seriously, this is the most fucked up possible policy yet. Do you know how many people were wrongfully banned at some point during the 360 gen? I don't even think it's possible to take an accurate accounting it's so many. I was fucking wrongly banned for a few days once!

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Here's a thought; Maybe you shouldn't get fucking banned

Losing single player access doesn't make any sense, true. (and to reiterate; It does not make sense that I, or anyone, should lose access to all content if there is an illegitimate ban placed on my account)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom