• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Xbone, getting banned from XBL maybe revokes(?) access to your games

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS4-

imagine doing that whole family/game share thing with randoms. Who you know, decide to want to fuck up your account.

Feels good.

iNvid02

steam and origin tried this approach iirc, couple of shitstorms resulted in them modifying it so you can access your games

history will repeat itself

Ovid

Wow. WOW. I thought they'd at least allow you to keep authenticating your legally owned games on the internet.

This is honestly one of the worst things they've announced yet. THIS must be what Cboat meant by the DRM policies actually being WORSE than we think

Edit: Seriously, this is the most fucked up possible policy yet. Do you know how many people were wrongfully banned at some point during the 360 gen? I don't even think it's possible to take an accurate accounting it's so many. I was fucking wrongly banned for a few days once!

How do you get banned on Xbox Live (besides modded consoles and stealing)?

BigDug13

Xbox Live doesn't work like that. They actually DO look at every complaint and do have a team dedicated to this stuff, and do take everything seriously.

Plus getting reported many times doesn't get you banned permanently (or banned at all). Very few things get you banned from Xbox Live permanently. Console Modding (and your system is banned), account modding (Only your account is perma banned), and stealing from the Marketplace (account only as well).

Playing a game before its official street date is also a ban.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Haha seriously. Are we sure this twitter account is legit? The answers are so surreal.

Yeah, and whatever department that is in charge of it, needs employment change.

Sydle

lol, MS needs to tell Xbox Support to zip it until they get their story straight.

If this is true then there are going to be some really angry people. I'm not sure how they'll get away with this. However, if it means I won't have to listen to highly inappropriate jabs from 12 year olds, see scam artist messages, and deal with cheaters who mod their console then so be it.

Mononoke

Banned
I'd guess with their mandatory authentication they'll stop doing that and just tell you that you can't play the game until the official release date. Kinda like what Steam does. If not...

Never thought about this, but you are probably right. Damn.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Wait, wait, wait...

As far as I can tell, we don't know if this applies to disc based games.

I'm sorry, what are those? You seem to be under the mistaken impression that those are any way different than a digital download. According to Microsoft, they are not. There won't be any distinction, you still need to have the game fully installed and check in with their servers. Your games are tied to your account and you can't untie them. This is kind of what the whole problem is about in the first place.

kyo27

so you're just gonna ignore the legit people who caught bannings, then? the lawful-good alignment never made much sense to me

What were the reasons for the people who were wrongfully banned? Street dates won't be an issue anymore with the authentication requirement.

Here's a NEWSFLASH: Many, many gamers last gen were wrongfully banned from the Xbox 360 at one point or another.

Justify that.

I honestly disagree with this. I really, really doubt it's "wrongfully" ban. Every single time I look at the suspension forum on Xbox.com, it's obvious what the user did to get ban. There are MANY stupid things that can get you banned, like having a swear word in your Xbox Live profile WILL get you banned if reported for a few days, that's probably where most bans come from.

All those small tiny things are in the ToU and CoC, and will get you banned. This is why I already decided (I think I said this last night haha), before I buy my Xbox One, I am 100% reading Microsoft's Terms of Use and Code of Conduct, because I knew this was going to happen. I knew Microsoft was going to be evil enough to take everything away if someone gets banned.

I know for sure though, I'm never getting my account permanently banned, like I said, those are only for people who Mod their system, Mod games, and Mod their account. Those people aren't "banned innocently", no one is. Everyone who gets banned broke something in the Terms Of Use or Code Of Conduct. Maybe they didn't KNOW what they did was bannable, I'm sure that's the case for many. I know many of my friends who modded to 10th prestige in Modern Warfare 2 and didn't know it was bannable. I had friends who used the javelin glitch (really dumb, fun easy glitch in MW2) and got their accounts banned for a few days for it. I always see people banned for swear words, and none of them knew it was banable.

This is the dumbest one. I remember a GAF user getting banned for playing Halo 4 early. I do think though, if you DO provide a receipt and show that the game is legal, you're fine. Don't know if that's true, but I doubt it is. No way Microsoft will bother checking a receipt from a user.

Replicant

OMG LOOOOL.

Can Xbone get any worse? Haven't this thing hit rock bottom already? What's next? Kinect will attack its owner?

it8s2kdL5S92F.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I thought this was known.

Yeah, this has been XBL policy since like 2005.

Also it's the same for Steam in that you can't buy anymore games on that account but you can access the games you've already bought. Just can't play them online or buy new ones really, IIRC.

Again, I don't think this is true at all. As long as you have a legit copy I'm pretty sure you're okay. There were thousands of people that got Modern Warfare 2 early and they played online just fine, if I recall correctly.

Mikey Jr.

Getting banned from using the online is fine. Whatever.

Making your games essentially worthless HAS to be illegal.

It has to.

zma1013

The better question is, what happens to the games in 10 years when they move on to the next Xbox and shut this one down? Does everyone suddenly have an awesome collection of paperweights?

Again, I don't think this is true at all. As long as you have a legit copy I'm pretty sure you're okay. There were thousands of people that got Modern Warfare 2 early and they played online just fine, if I recall correctly.

A lot of people played Modern Warfare 3 early and didn't get banned as well. I think it just depends on if you're willing to prove you "legally" bought it from the store, either way, you should be banned for being lucky and playing a game early. Dumbest rule on Xbox Live.

Ondore

I didn't realize Microsoft had managed to secure "Hide And Go Fuck Yourself" as an Xbone exclusive. Well played, gentlemen.

getting banned from multi players is one thing,
but banning an account where all your disk based games are tied to due to account-install-drm = LOL

The better question is, what happens to the games in 10 years when they move on to the next Xbox and shut this one down? Does everyone suddenly have an awesome collection of paperweights?

I have raised this issue many times in terms of vintage gaming but somebody laughed at me for playing vintage consoles

bue eh, my Genesis still works

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So you can't freak out one night on accident. Say you're drunk or what not. Its like a year after launch. You have quite a bit of games to your account. Then suddenly...they're all gone. That $^&*# sucks!

AMAZING. And after all the stupid bans that happened on X360 for minor offenses. Like the people who played halo 4 early. Give me a fucking break.

Smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom