• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Xbone, getting banned from XBL maybe revokes(?) access to your games

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDR_11k

Well I can't see this ending poorly at all

Definitely not the case with Steam, it only locks you out of games that use VAC security IIRC. Didn't EA do something like this with Origin and forum bans and there was a huge shitstorm?

VAC bans are for cheating but aren't there also full fledged bans for things like mule-ing games from, say, Russia, to pricier regions?

Attempting to break a street date on a game gets you banned if Gamestop or someone else happened to sell the game to you early. At least it did on 360.

I'd guess with their mandatory authentication they'll stop doing that and just tell you that you can't play the game until the official release date. Kinda like what Steam does. If not...

this will be interesting....

indiana-jones-popcorn-reaction-gif.gif

TheD

The Detective
Is Steam legal in Australia? Pretty sure if you fuck up and breach their ToS it's the same deal. I'm kinda excited for this solely from imagining some racist little piece of shit kid being unable to play anything.

No, it is not the same as steam.

MormaPope

Banned
Honestly, the best part of playing Uno on Xbox Live was the abundant number of people that would use the Xbox camera thingy and quickly show their genitals. It was like a game within the game. You either have to pause the game fast enough so the main menu blocks out the genitals, or the host would have to have quick enough reflexes to ban the person from the lobby.

CDX

Stop Microsoft, whatever you're doing just stop.

I keep thinking the news can't get any worse and yet it seems everyday it DOES get worse.

Who can honestly defend something like this?

Amir0x

Banned
Here's a thought; Maybe you shouldn't get fucking banned

Losing single player access doesn't make any sense, true.

Here's a NEWSFLASH: Many, many gamers last gen were wrongfully banned from the Xbox 360 at one point or another.

Justify that.

zroid

Banned
You guys assumed otherwise? Seriously? This is the case for the Xbox 360 as well, just since your games are in disc format and not tied to your account, you don't lose that.

All your arcade games/games on demand/DLC? Gone if you get banned.

That's terrible enough as it is, but losing access to your physical disc copies too is what makes it absolutely insane.

Microsoft is demonstrating here that sometimes having "accounts" with all your games tied to it can be scary shit if the company doling them out is not to be trusted. We're yielding a lot of our rights away when agreeing to these Terms of Service...

So we're listening to XboxSupport now?
Your Xbox Live family of 10 people can all share 1 Xbox Live gold membership.
And your Xbox Live family of 10 people can all play different games out of your collection at the same time.
And you can play all your games at the same time as another family member.

1 family member could play your Halo with you.
Another could play your battlefield.
Another could play your Forza.
Etc

Or do we only believe XboxSupport when it is bad news for Xbone?
What has this to do with this thread? There was a thread created for this, because it is indeed good news...if true....and no limitations.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
This is the case with any digital distribution DRM platform. It's the same with Origin, it's the same with Steam. It's not because the support account said it, but because it's industry standard and common sense with what Microsoft has announced so far.

So, I guess if you plan on modding your Xbox hardware in any way, it would be foolish to get games from legitimate ways. At least hackers usually stay away from strict DRM and avoid trying to crack that sort of thing. For the record: Not advocating piracy. Don't buy an Xbox. My official position is "Don't pirate any xbox games, because that would require buying the console. And don't do that. Go buy the games on PS4 or PC." But it's going to happen.

Jedi2016

Here's a NEWSFLASH: Many, many gamers last gen were wrongfully banned from the Xbox 360 at one point or another.
This. So, my official statement is "fuck that noise". The list of reasons not to get an Xbone just keeps getting longer and longer every time they open their mouths.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Attempting to break a street date on a game gets you banned if Gamestop or someone else happened to sell the game to you early. At least it did on 360.

only because piracy exists on 360. a lot of games were released online days or weeks before the official release date

This just keeps getting better. Next they'll reveal that Kinect will check to make sure you aren't wearing any inappropriate clothing.

Mikey Jr.

Ok, Ok. So someone clarify here.

1. I buy the game Metal Gear V.

2. I then hop on and play Titan Fall. I do something stupid, get framed, whatever, and get banned.

3. What happens to MGSV? Can I still play it?

Dramos

Microsoft jail if you ask me. Anyway, with online and used-games, I doubt people will be able to pirate games. Supposedly, MS will ban for XBL exploits and by heavily disturbing and disrespecting others.

Are you sure about that? I always remember the buzz around town during big launches being that if you had a legitimate copy and played early, you were fine.

CSX

Werent there people banned for playing games before release date? They werent pirated copies either. That happened to someone here for Halo 4.

Also you can easily be trolled and have a random dick report you for no reason that can lead to a ban or at least temp ban

The only good out of this is potentially scaring people off from being dumbasses on the mics and messages.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG

Justify that.

Just shot support a tweet, let's see how they respond.

"@XboxSupport If I am banned from Xbox Live, why can't i play single player games that I payed $60 for? What if Ban is illegit, or mistake?"

terrible

Banned
Unenforceable in a lot of countries. No way MS would try and pull this off.

EA does this with Origin, so why can't Microsoft? Heck you can apparently lose all your Origin games by getting banned on their forums even. Scary.

This thing just keeps getting worse. All I can do is shake my head at this point.

blamite

Imagine a glitch two years after launch that bans random people with no fix. o_O
There was that guy last November who had his entire Xbox banned for playing a copy of Halo 4 he (claimed to have) legitimately bought? Now imaging that taking away everything you've ever bought for the console.

IrishNinja

Guess this is a good time to remind everyone that MS watches what you put in your Skydrive folders and they'll ban you if there's something in there they don't like: http://wmpoweruser.com/watch-what-you-store-on-skydriveyou-may-lose-your-microsoft-life/

Be careful.

holy shit, that's even more troubling

Werent thousands of people banned because they were victims of some kind of Fifa hack, and it took them months to get it sorted out?

i do indeed recall this - i assumed it was a box banning though, or was it account related? not saying the former is acceptable, mind

so you're just gonna ignore the legit people who caught bannings, then? the lawful-good alignment never made much sense to me

krae_man

How fun is it for the people manning these support accounts?

Don't bots do all the banning and the CSR's just pretend they investigated and say "I looked into it and the ban will stand as issued"?

Remember that guy who got banned for living in Ft Gay and the CSR wasn't allowed to use critical thinking?

MormaPope

Banned
Wait, wait, wait...

As far as I can tell, we don't know if this applies to disc based games.

Uh, there still needs to be online authentication every 24 hours. If a ban pertains to blocking or not allowing the person to access anything online, that would mean you can't play games anymore until the ban if lifted.

Eusis

Justify that.
Yeah, it's like getting wrongly arrested: it can happen, and likely will to some people. Only way to avoid that is if they were omniscient, and they'd have avoided this whole mess if they had that kind of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom