• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Xbone, getting banned from XBL maybe revokes(?) access to your games

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenpp72

I remember getting banned on Xbox live for my username being offensive, after talking to someone from India trying to explain the origin of the name being from goldeneye, the banned wasn't reversed, but I was given permission to change the number from 2 to another number, so i guess in that instance, i'd lose all my physical games. Considering the bans system is largely based on the reports of others (which can be abused without proof) this is a pretty scary problem.

We need new laws in the US fast..

god no! you can still play dvd's and blu-rays!

Do we have confirmation on this?

I remember getting banned on Xbox live for my username being offensive, after talking to someone from India trying to explain the origin of the name being from goldeneye, the banned wasn't reversed, but I was given permission to change the number from 2 to another number, so i guess in that instance, i'd lose all my physical games. Considering the bans system is largely based on the reports of others (which can be abused without proof) this is a pretty scary problem.

We need new laws in the US fast..

No, you just need to send a message to those companies by not buying there product.

Talk with your $$$.

Ondore

Seriously, Phil Harrison has to be a Vince Russo-class mole at this point. The Xbone is public enemy #1 for the black-hat hacking community this fall, and if they managed to pull off another FIFA Ultimate Team scam there's gonna be a lo... few dozen legit shook Xbone fanboys who won't be able to play anything during the investigation period.

JHall

ytetSUL.gif

HOOOLY SHIIITE.

This is what Crazy Buttocks meant! I can understand online gaming, but to be locked out completely...., even physically, you truly don't own you games at all. This is just a horrendous system at all levels.

I can't believe the awesome team, that made the OG Xbox and 360 is just gone.

Xenon

I hope all you are listening to this all you Xbox Live hooligans. MS will steal your games and never let you play them again. The PS3 is a better home for you. Go buy that PS4, so I can be free of you. Ummmm I mean, so you can be free!

BigDug13

Ok wow, some reasons people got banned according to the support personnel at: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/41.aspx

One gamer:
- Altering the appearance of your avatar beyond legitimate parameters

Another with the bold/underlined as his infraction:
- This account was suspended due to content in the Gamertag, motto, bio, name and/or location fields which violated the following section of the Code of Conduct:

Don't create a Gamertag, profile content or in-game content that other users may be offended by. This includes, without limitation, anything related to or suggestive of: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities.

Another:

- Offering to trade Xbox LIVE or in-game services for Microsoft Points or money

Response from support to a player wanting to get his MS Points back from banning:

- Apologies, but upon receiving a permanent suspension all content licenses, Gold membership time, and Microsoft Points associated with the suspended account are forfeit.

And this is just a small sampling from the past 2 days on their support forums.

Terra

Good!

Should keep all the pirates, cheaters, hacks and ragequitters at bay.

What about all the negative reactions here GAF? I just don't get it? Is everyone a cheater?

Camp Lo

Banned
Exactly, you want to promote sharing my games with 10 friends but if one of them do something stupid once, I'm fucked forever?

Jesus Christ!

ironcreed

Banned
As always, I am an open minded 'to each their own' kind of guy, but I honestly cannot for the life of me see how anyone would actually want to buy this thing... good games or not. Microsoft can take your games away and render your console useless at any moment, no matter how many thousands of dollars you might spend. But again, to each their own.

The only thing that has me even considering a xbone is Titanfall, if this gets confirmed as a timed exclusive that there is no doubt left in my mind what console I am buying this gen.

BrunoM

EDIT:
Can a mod please change the title to specify Xbox One games? Thanks.

fWpJY1n.jpg

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/status/345338828606812160

I can understand not being able to play multiplayer, but single player too?
After reading up on it and talking to some on in the xboxone team (personal friend) the system will slow you to play the game you own the disc to (blue ray) but will not let you play any game you get off the live market may that be a Indy game or a AAA .

That is crazy and in no way makes any sense so if your a gamer that like to go digital and for what ever reason happen to get ban if you have 300$ in digital games you will lose them all..

Microsoft looks as if is doing all the right things to make me and most other gamers I talk to
To just go the Playstation4 way

I can not accept that they would actually do that to some ones had earn money

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Fuck to you Microsoft.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Ok wow, some reasons people got banned according to the support personnel at: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/41.aspx

One gamer:
- Altering the appearance of your avatar beyond legitimate parameters

Another with the bold/underlined as his infraction:
- This account was suspended due to content in the Gamertag, motto, bio, name and/or location fields which violated the following section of the Code of Conduct:

Don't create a Gamertag, profile content or in-game content that other users may be offended by. This includes, without limitation, anything related to or suggestive of: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities.

Another:

- Offering to trade Xbox LIVE or in-game services for Microsoft Points or money

Response from support to a player wanting to get his MS Points back from banning:

- Apologies, but upon receiving a permanent suspension all content licenses, Gold membership time, and Microsoft Points associated with the suspended account are forfeit.

And this is just a small sampling from the past 2 days on their support forums.

Don't forget the guy who got banned because his profile said he lived in Fort Gay, WV.

A real place.

Where he lived.

Kromis1

As much as I think this is overkill, I don't really mind. I don't intend on getting banned. Are there any "accidental" bans anyway? Don't be an idiot and you'll be fine. If you really want to get banned then you probably deserve everything that comes with it.

Wizman23

Banned
This policy will honestly effect kids and teenagers the most, as they say and do shit that most adults don't really do. Imagine a 13 year old kid balling his eyes out in front of his parents because he said mini hate speechs and can't access any games.

Good. I'm in my 30's and can't stand that fucking shit. Sounds like MS has made a console for responsible adults and I have zero problem with that.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I had assumed everyone would have figured this out by now. Seemed like a forgone conclusion to me after they released their PR sheets last week.

Games are tied to your XBL account. No XBL account = No games.

jmls1121

Banned
They have completely lost their mind.

This would be a massive class action lawsuit. People would be calling for it to be pulled off shelves.

MarkusRJR

Holy fucking shit. That is actually insane. Who the fuck is running the Xbox division right now? This is messed up beyond belief. How can you revoke access to purchased content?

My friend got banned because people all ganged up on him and reported him. I can't even imagine how horrible it'd be to lose all access to your game collection over something stupid like that. Fuck off MS.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This sounds logical to me, it's the inevitable consequence of how the DRM and game registration system is set up.

On the current 360, the PS3, and presumably the PS4, if you get one account banned you may lose your digital download games, but your disc based games are all fine. You'll just have to make a new account and start over with achievement/trophy progress. As far as I am aware.

The Xbox One is basically a digital download box. It's just that you can choose to get a disc at retail to install the games so you don't have to download 20-50 gigs of data the first time. So banned = all your purchases go away.

(This is, by the by, one of the big and real concerns with the digital distribution age in general.)

Yagharek

As much as I think this is overkill, I don't really mind. I don't intend on getting banned. Are there any "accidental" bans anyway? Don't be an idiot and you'll be fine. If you really want to get banned then you probably deserve everything that comes with it.

Read the thread. Heaps of false bans occur, including people who had their accounts fifa hacked, which Microsoft or EA never admitted to.

Xbox live is basically fraudulent when you end up on the receiving end of a ban.

Emitan

Good!

Should keep all the pirates, cheaters, hacks and ragequitters at bay.

What about all the negative reactions here GAF? I just don't get it? Is everyone a cheater?

Yeah if you leave a FPS deathmatch early you should lose access to thousands of dollars of purchases. Seems fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom