• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Analyst's Prediction: PS4 Slim to be announced in addition to the PS4 Neo at TGS

Apple doesn't announce the iPhone 8 an hour after they unveil the 7S

"New iPhone coming next year" is a headline that goes without saying.

If you're going to use the comparison to phones, at least use the proper analogy, as just as the Apple Store has games that will work on the IP8, the IP7S, and the IP5, so too will the Windows/Xbox Store have games (Non-VR) that will work on the XS, XOS, and Win10PC.

SOR5

Nobody confused? No? Slim model, better model? Nobody puzzled? Nobody wondering what's happening? No? Nobody's questioning how two iterations can co-exist? No?

Well, about time :)

geordiemp

I hope Sony picks the 5.5TF option with new CPU. I am willing to pay $499 for that. And they can delay the release to next year. A 4.2TF with slow CPU at $399 doesn't make sense to me.

Yup, especially with teh CPU, not so confident on the GPU seeing 480 performance getting as hot as it does on the reference 480 reviews.

Think I would be happy with anything above 4.5 and a CPU upgrade being realistic.

Also all this confusion about a $ 299 slim and a $ 499 enthusiast model that both play Ps4 games is not that hard to grasp is it. Must be posters just being silly.

icespide

Banned
Nobody confused? No? Slim model, better model? Nobody puzzled? Nobody wondering what's happening? No? Nobody's questioning how two iterations can co-exist? No?

Well, about time :)

what? I think you're trying to be so clever that you're not even saying anything

ethomaz

Banned
And we all know how well that worked out for the iPhone 5C.
That is exactly the point...

There is no problem for Sony to people choose Neo over Slim... they won't lose profit.

There is a problem for MS to people choose Scorpio over Slim... they will lose over a year of profit.

PS. We are now back to my first post lol

Rembrandt

Banned
Uh...I don't see the issue?

If MS never announced the Scorpio at all, you'd buy the S and then get bummed out midway through 2017 when the Scorpio gets revealed.

The reason you consider waiting for the Scorpio as an option at all is because they announced it early.

As a consumer, it's better to know beforehand.

people are "pro-consumer" until they're not.

And they're quick to throw around that "SonyGAF bias" bullshit.

-d0hv

the SonyToo shit is one of the worst things here and I wish people that used that to detract away from criticism got banned but hey, i'm not a mod.

There is no problem for Sony to people choose Neo over Slim... they won't lose profit.

There is a problem for MS to people choose Scorpio over Slim... they will lose over a year of profit.

Again, you're assuming that most gamers would be willing to miss out on a year and a half of gaming for a console that technically doesn't exist yet and has no price point.

sense

Uh...I don't see the issue?

If MS never announced the Scorpio at all, you'd buy the S and then get bummed out midway through 2017 when the Scorpio gets revealed.

The reason you consider waiting for the Scorpio as an option at all is because they announced it early.

As a consumer, it's better to know beforehand.
That's the issue many are having. I know iPhone 7 is coming out this year and there will be a 7s next year but apple is not telling me today that 7s is going to be 5 times more powerful and better than what the competition will have which would be dumb business wise. I know some are drinking the kool-aid that MS is serving by saying they are doing this so the consumer knows about it ahead of time and dont get pissed lol. Neither company is doing anything with the consumer in mind. The whole idea behind them announcing it this early is because they want people to not buy the Neo this holiday.

Again, you're assuming that most gamers would be willing to miss out on a year and a half of gaming for a console that technically doesn't exist yet and has no price point.

Well...the upgrade buyers can wait.

The new buyers are people who have already sat out on 2.5 years of Next-Gen console gaming, for consoles that already exist with price + discounts. You're assuming they're that desperate for Gears 4/whatever that they can't wait another 1.5 or go to a competitor.

DFox

Hahaha I'm 99,9% this story is wrong. Experts don't know anything this days. There a few things leaking a lot speculation that keeps building hype. My guess it was powerplay from Sony to reveal there temporary specs of Neo at GDC to force Microsoft to come out and talk about there plattform.

I can guarantee that Sony is not going to be announcing Neo at a regular TGS press conference. Have you learned nothing Sony has reconstructed the PlayStation division to be more western oriented. Is not focusing primary on the Japanese market anymore. But they could hold a new PlayStation Meeting for press in Japan but it seems unlikely.

Everyone is also speculating about it being underpowered compared to Scorpio even before it has been announced. We don't even know the price of Scorpio yet but my guess that powerhouse will not be priced at $399. It could be priced as high as $599.

At this point Sony don't have anything to win by coming out and start talking about the future. They are dominating. Microsoft basically halted there sales for the coming 18 months. Nintendo's new console is not coming out in 2016. If they are going to reveal something is going to be few months before the release. So long we have not seen any leaked pictures on new consoles or reports of out stock PS4's they are still more than few months of releasing a slim.

rothbart

So wait, after slim versions of the PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP (maybe not blatantly for the same of being slimmer, it _got_ slimmer) people are actually surprised or are waiting to pounce on the idea that there may be a slim PS4? Am I supposed to be outraged? Yes, I think I am... that's the 2016 reaction of choice. I'm outraged!!!

Crayon

people are "pro-consumer" until they're not.

the SonyToo shit is one of the worst things here and I wish people that used that to detract away from criticism got banned but hey, i'm not a mod.

You'd be such a good mod, too. It's a shame.

icespide

Banned
So wait, after slim versions of the PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP (maybe not blatantly for the same of being slimmer, it _got_ slimmer) people are actually surprised or are waiting to pounce on the idea that there may be a slim PS4? Am I supposed to be outraged? Yes, I think I am... that's the 2016 reaction of choice. I'm outraged!!!

the PS4 is already pretty slim + the idea of more powerful consoles put the idea of a slim PS4 into question for a lot of people

That's the issue many are having. I know iPhone 7 is coming out this year and there will be a 7s next year but apple is not telling me today that 7s is going to be 5 times more powerful and better than what the competition will have which would be dumb business wise. I know some are drinking the kool-aid that MS is serving by saying they are doing this so the consumer knows about it ahead of time and dont get pissed lol. Neither company is doing anything with the consumer in mind. The whole idea behind them announcing it this early is because they want people to not buy the Neo this holiday.

But I'm a consumer.

I don't give a shit if MS makes a bad business decision. And I also don't care if they announce something too early in order to sway people away from the competition.

I don't care about their intent. If me knowing about the Scorpio helps me make a decision beforehand, that is good for my purposes as a consumer. That's my point.

Its so easy to say "oh people are drinking the koolaid and MS doesn't REALLY care about consumer choices."

But the reality is, the consumer is now informed and choice is brought upon as a by-product of MS announcing the Scorpio early.

I know no company really cares about the consumer, but announcing the Scorpio early was good for me as a consumer.

ethomaz

Banned
I showed all options and there is this option included... I'm not assuming anything.

MS - Possibility of lose sales/profit.
Sony - In any case is a win for sales/pofit.

My first post... way different approaches with different results.

rothbart

the PS4 is already pretty slim + the idea of more powerful consoles put the idea of a slim PS4 into question for a lot of people

But... things reduce in size/complexity over time. I'm not expecting the "40% the original size" slimming of what Microsoft is doing with the XBOne S, but these console makers are constantly trying to cost-reduce systems and even if it's not sold with its slimness as a feature, it seems like it only makes sense that it should be a when/how question and not an if question.

Dazza

I can explain better for you...

Apple selling iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus at same day
- Consumer will choose one between the two models
- Consumer will start to use and be active in iPhone ecosystem
- Consumer will possible spend money on App Store or buy accessories/stuffs

Result: Apple have one more sale where the consumer will possible be using it money on iPhone ecosystem

Apple selling iPhone 7 today and iPhone 7 Plus in late 2017
- Consumer can buy the iPhone 7 today and have all the result of previous case

Or

- Consumer can wait the iPhone 7 Plus
-- Consumer won't be part of iPhone ecosystem for 1,5 year
-- Consumer won't spend money on App Store or Accessories
-- Consumer can change his mind and buy Galaxy S8

Result: Apple can sell the iPhone 7 with all the goods come with it OR Apple won't get the sale of iPhone 7 Plus and all the goods come with it for 1,5 year OR Apple will lose one sale and all the good come with it.

The later option (MS) have a lots of things that can goes wrong and fuck the MS sales for at least a year or forever.

Exactly right, not hard to understand it's not the same. If it's announced at TGS there is a chance both Neo and the PS4 slim might out before the Xbox One S, given Sony's desire to follow Apple like announcement/release schedules

I showed all options and there are this option... I'm not assuming anything.

MS - Possibility of lose sales/profit.
Sony - In any case is a win for sales/pofit.

My first post... way different approaches with different results.

Out of curiosity, and of course hypothetically, how would all of those unsold Slim's sitting on the shelves be good for Sony's profit? They naturally wouldn't have to worry about selling Neo's, but those unsold Slim's would cause a dent somewhere. It wouldn't be a complete win for them.

Welfare

PS. We are now back to my first post lol
The market for the S and Scorpio are completely different. The people buying $299 machines aren't going to wait a year and a half for a $399+ machine.

MS will still sell Xbox One's and will sell Scorpio's to a completely different crowd than who are buying consoles now.

icespide

Banned
I could see the argument that the type of people that would wait for the Scoprio are also kind of likely to buy an Xbox One S (for HDR, 4K) fully expecting to trade/sell it next year for a Scorpio

SOR5

I could see the argument that the type of people that would wait for the Scoprio are also kind of likely to buy an Xbox One S (for HDR, 4K) fully expecting to trade/sell it next year for a Scorpio

I see why I don't think it will be that much people on that basis though

But I dunno, we'll see by next year, but I do think XB1S will sell okay

I can see this. Fence sitters are more likely to be swayed one way or another

sense

But I'm a consumer.

I don't give a shit if MS makes a bad business decision. And I also don't care if they announce something too early in order to sway people away from the competition.

I don't care about their intent. If me knowing about the Scorpio helps me make a decision beforehand, that is good for my purposes as a consumer. That's my point.

Its so easy to say "oh people are drinking the koolaid and MS doesn't REALLY care about consumer choices."

But the reality is, the consumer is now informed and choice is brought upon as a by-product of MS announcing the Scorpio early.

I know no company really cares about the consumer, but announcing the Scorpio early was good for me as a consumer.
I am saying it is not good for me as a consumer because I would find it annoying picking up the console this holiday to play a game I really want knowing full well a much more powerful console with additional capabilities like VR is coming a whole year later.

Rembrandt

Banned
I am saying it is not good for me as a consumer because I would find it annoying picking up the console this holiday to play a game I really want knowing full well a much more powerful console with additional capabilities like VR is coming a whole year later.

would you feel better or worse if they randomly announced it after you bought the console?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I hope the neo is 499 and the slim is 299 with a uhd player.

More expensive neo means better hardware.

Uhd slim means 4k movies will be bought more, making the prices go down relatively quicker and with a larger library.

Then again id rather not have a slim. The ps4 is smaller than the one s. Small enough.

If people are going to use phone analogues, it's more like this:

Sony releases ps4, then later on comes out with ps4c and ps4+ at the same time.

Microsoft releases xbo, then later on comes out with xboc and also announces xb2 for a little while down the line.

While Scorpio might technically not be the xb2, it's how it's essentially being presented.

Quite a difference really.

SOR5

I hope the neo is 499 and the slim is 299 with a uhd player.

More expensive neo means better hardware.

Uhd slim means 4k movies will be bought more, making the prices go down relatively quicker and with a larger library.

Then again id rather not have a slim. The ps4 is smaller than the one s. Small enough.

PS4 really hit a nice form factor on the first console

Sony would be really stupid to announce Neo and a Slim model on the same day. On top of that- this kills the rumor that "Neo is the Slim PS4".
It's about price and getting the PS4 in everyone's livingroom. Add this to a much cheaper PS4 echoing the sales jump with the cheaper PS3 slim:

sony02_s.jpg

Aim for the second time in the operating income of 5,000 billion yen in Sony history in FY '17

sony04_s.jpg

The expected strong growth in the 2017 fiscal year of the next season is, games and network services business. Sales and 1 trillion 8,000 to 9,000 billion yen, is top up from the initial forecast of about 3 to 4,000 billion yen, it has been revised upward operating profit margin from 5-6% to 8-10%.

So...the issue is having to wait for a new console and being annoyed by the fact that you have to wait.

That's on you, not MS. It doesn't make it anti consumer lol

I'm not planning on getting a Neo until I can afford it (which I probably won't this holiday season). So I'll just work on my massive backlog until then. You're on gaf, so you must have one too :p

SOR5

I would rather not know ahead of time I am making a dumb investment. Either way it is going to suck.

Would you say buying a PS4 now is a dumb investment?

Because that serves the exact same purpose as the XB1S, a lower-end affordable way to play games in the respective ecosystem.

ethomaz

Banned
The market for the S and Scorpio are completely different. The people buying $299 machines aren't going to wait a year and a half for a $399+ machine.

MS will still sell Xbox One's and will sell Scorpio's to a completely different crowd than who are buying consoles now.
You mean people will continue not buying Xbox One even after Slim :p

Schrade

People drinking lemon juice with extra salt in this thread.

People are talking about PS4K/Neo like it's an announced thing. It's not. The specs are not announced either... they are leaked specs that are subject to change. And to top it off this is an analyst guessing at things.

sense

Would you say buying a PS4 now is a dumb investment?

Because that serves the exact same purpose as the XB1S, a lower-end affordable way to play games in the respective ecosystem.
I would say it is a dumb investment if I knew what the Neo was and Sony throws it in my face with an ad that says it will be the most powerful console and it is coming out next year. All I know is that it is an high end model of the current ps4 and going by comments from Andrew house, I can tell that when Sony do give me the details, I will be able to pick it up soon after. Don't confirm something is 5 times better and possibly has vr capabilities and tell me to wait 15 to 18 months and in the mean time, here is a sexy new slim console that has an UHD player as well. What if I already have an xb1 and want 4K playback and the only option is the slim one? I have to buy this new one now and then a year later buy the Scorpio as well. In Sony case I can just buy the neo and be done with it even if there is a new slim version of the vanilla ps4 shown with UHD playback capabilities. I know there are a lot of people that are price conscious and will pick up the cheaper stuff but have both options available so I can pick the one I want rather than make me wait.

So...the issue is having to wait for a new console and being annoyed by the fact that you have to wait.

That's on you, not MS. It doesn't make it anti consumer lol

I'm not planning on getting a Neo until I can afford it (which I probably won't this holiday season). So I'll just work on my massive backlog until then. You're on gaf, so you must have one too :p
So now you understand why this Sony too stuff doesn't make sense and why some people are a bit upset with MS due to the wait. They are not the same. When Sony does announce new hardware, it will be available soon after not 15 to 18 months later. I am not trying to say what ms did is anti-consumer, it is just annoying as a customer that you showed me this new sexy slim console on one hand and then on the other hand say that you really should wait for next year.....

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I agree with you except for one thing. The Xbox One S is a 4k disc player. My reason for upgrade.

Since when? Why didn't they announce a feature that big during the reveal?

quest

Not Banned from OT
I hope Sony picks the 5.5TF option with new CPU. I am willing to pay $499 for that. And they can delay the release to next year. A 4.2TF with slow CPU at $399 doesn't make sense to me.

After seeing the 480 reviews today I believe the 5.5 TF version was a false rumor. Unless they were going to push the launch back till mid 2017 and use a cut down Vega like Microsoft. There is no way they are making a Polaris 5.5 TF in a SOC with out huge cooling issues.

Really hoping this PS4 Slim rumor pans out and they give the NA region an easily available white one. Make it $299 and that'll be the icing on the cake.

Top Bottom