• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Analyst's Prediction: PS4 Slim to be announced in addition to the PS4 Neo at TGS

Hip Hop

A lilttle OT, but will all games released there on forward with the console release have to make use of the Neo's power? Is it required for third parties?

Thinking of jumping in if so.

Gitaroo

A lilttle OT, but will all games released there on forward with the console release have to make use of the Neo's power? Is it required for third parties?

Thinking of jumping in if so.

Neo compatible, rumors says neo is suppost to have 1080p mins requirement. Not sure if that is made up.

bunkitz

That would be... interesting? I suppose it should be expected, seeing as every PlayStation has had a slim version. The slim would replace the original, while the Neo would coexist with both of those boxes. Ehh, I'm cool with that.

How much smaller can the PS4 get, though?

Slim model is a good idea to keep the base PS4 model ''fresh'' even when Neo is available. I don't think it will be much smaller but anything helps.

Prologue

Hahaha I'm 99,9% this story is wrong. Experts don't know anything this days. There a few things leaking a lot speculation that keeps building hype. My guess it was powerplay from Sony to reveal there temporary specs of Neo at GDC to force Microsoft to come out and talk about there plattform.

I can guarantee that Sony is not going to be announcing Neo at a regular TGS press conference. Have you learned nothing Sony has reconstructed the PlayStation division to be more western oriented. Is not focusing primary on the Japanese market anymore. But they could hold a new PlayStation Meeting for press in Japan but it seems unlikely.

Everyone is also speculating about it being underpowered compared to Scorpio even before it has been announced. We don't even know the price of Scorpio yet but my guess that powerhouse will not be priced at $399. It could be priced as high as $599.

At this point Sony don't have anything to win by coming out and start talking about the future. They are dominating. Microsoft basically halted there sales for the coming 18 months. Nintendo's new console is not coming out in 2016. If they are going to reveal something is going to be few months before the release. So long we have not seen any leaked pictures on new consoles or reports of out stock PS4's they are still more than few months of releasing a slim.

I have a hard time seeing a TGS announcement too.

Felessan

The market for the S and Scorpio are completely different. The people buying $299 machines aren't going to wait a year and a half for a $399+ machine.

MS will still sell Xbox One's and will sell Scorpio's to a completely different crowd than who are buying consoles now.
The problem is exactly because markets are different. Those who aiming for Scorpio are forced to wait 1.5 years. And during this time they might switch to Neo or even PC. If markets were the same one - this people would have option to stay on current Xbox One/One S. But they are not and time gap will hurt sales.
Playstation doesn't (presumably) have this problem as they are offering products to both markets at once.

Elven_Star

It's already a pretty small console. It's also extremely loud and runs hot. I wonder how much smaller they can get

Have never had any problem with PS4's noise and heat. Smaller is always better. I'm not gonna switch, though, because the OG one is working perfectly fine. But this is great for new customers.

The problem is exactly because markets are different. Those who aiming for Scorpio are forced to wait 1.5 years. And during this time they might switch to Neo or even PC. If markets were the same one - this people would have option to stay on current Xbox One/One S. But they are not and time gap will hurt sales.
Playstation doesn't (presumably) have this problem as they are offering products to both markets at once.

Sony would most likely run into a problem of their own with sales introducing both Slim and Neo at the same time. It would be a sure death sentence for the Slim model as hardly anyone will want the inferior Playstation if they're sitting next to each other on the shelf.

It's just not a good idea for them to release a Slim model with Neo so close. Just release the Neo for those who want a beefier PS4 and keep the original model in circulation.

Microsoft will sell S models this Christmas and then a subset of gamers will purchase Scorpio's next year for extra power.

Sony would most likely run into a problem of their own with sales introducing both Slim and Neo at the same time. It would be a sure death sentence for the Slim model as hardly anyone will want the inferior Playstation if they're sitting next to each other on the shelf.

Not with the ballpark $200 price difference.

gtj1092

It's just not a good idea for them to release a Slim model with Neo so close. Just release the Neo for those who want a beefier PS4 and keep the original model in circulation.

Microsoft will sell S models this Christmas and then a subset of gamers will purchase Scorpio's next year for extra power.

You're trying too hard. If people are willing to buy a regular ps4 why wouldn't they buy the slim that is replacing it on shelves? There isn't going to be 3 models to buy. You're clearly reaching. Slim models always replace the old model. It's why ms is having fire sales on the original x1 to clear stock for the x1s.

I think Sony needs to get slim model out to compete with Xbox One Slim.I'm sure theyd don't want to let Microsoft have the holiday season to themselves as the cheapest UHD player. That would be a big selling point.

StrongBlackVine said:
I think Sony needs to get slim model out to compete with Xbox One Slim.I'm sure theyd don't want to let Microsoft have the holiday season to themselves as the cheapest UHD player. That would be a big selling point.

The PS4 2015 model had a new Southbridge and Southbridge is where ALL Media and Codecs are supported including UHD BLU-RAY. A blu-ray drive to support UHD blu-ray either needs a firmware update or a small change that with economy of scale would cost pennies. If the Launch PS4 didn't support UHD BLu-ray the 2015 version should. There is no 2015 revision for the XB1 as the APU contains the Media TEE and Codecs, if the Launch XB1 couldn't support UHD Blu-ray only the XB1 Slim could.

PS4 Slim is likely only about price and I think we are overestimating the price. Sony is going to make money on media and services and wants as many people as possible with the console in the living room. In 2017 with HTML5 <video> and Vidipath which includes the UHD Blu-ray digital bridge, streaming media/games will take off. With VR supported in ALL PS4 platforms, casual games like The Shoot and Start the Party should be coming to the PS4.

What is the magic price in consumer minds? Slim sold at a loss to meet the "Magic price" and NEO at more than 10% profit is likely.

A slim really doesnt make any sense

Don't think of it as a "Slim". They won't be able to make it significant smaller anyhow.

No, what I asume is they'll enable 4k playback and give it a new design, and maybe some internal changes to make it as cheap to produce as possible, and that's pretty much it. So, basically, this new SKU might also be able to play 4k Blu-Ray and streams, but won't have the extra beef of Neo.

I doubt Sony can afford to introduce a non-4k (playback) capable SKU now that MS has announced XBOX One S.

Don't think of it as a "Slim". They won't be able to make it significant smaller anyhow.

No, what I asume is they'll enable 4k playback and give it a new design, and maybe some internal changes to make it as cheap to produce as possible, and that's pretty much it. So, basically, this new SKU might also be able to play 4k Blu-Ray and streams, but won't have the extra beef of Neo.

I doubt Sony can afford to introduce a non-4k (playback) capable SKU now that MS has announced XBOX One S.
The VCE in the PS4 APU does not support HEVC encode while the XB1 VCE does. VCE is a low latency hardware encoder AMD provided for Game streaming. It can not be used for commercial media.
http://wccftech.com/amd-unveils-polaris-11-10-gpu/ said:
the new multimedia cores and the new display engine in Polaris. Which will enable gamers to record and stream 4K gameplay at 60 FPS with no performance cost.
The VCE is not on/in the ARM block. Sony moved the ARM block out of the APU to Southbridge so that they could use GDDR5 memory. The ARM block in APUs also handles Network standby which can't use GDDR5 memory as it uses too much power. Polaris GPUs use GDDR5 but rely on Motherboard and/or APU to support Network standby. I'd guess Sony will again move all ARM IP to Southbridge while Microsoft has to wait on HBM2 (Vega GPU) which can support low power network standby.

At this time we have only publicly demonstrated a GDDR5 configuration of the Polaris architecture.It&#8217;s important to understand that HBM isn&#8217;t (currently) suitable for all GPU segments due to the current HBM cost structure. In the mainstream GPU segment, GDDR5 remains an extremely cost-effective, efficient and viable memory technology
Which explains the XB1 Scorpio delay till Holiday 2017 using the Vega GPU with HBM2. The power savings in using HBM over GDDR5 is then used for the GPU allowing two extra TF at the same TDP.

Edit: The Linkedin cite with a AMD employee testing compatibility for three APUs from Polaris (hindsight) to Launch APUs have to be XB1 Slim, PS4 NEO and a PS4 slim. XB1 Scorpio is still a year out and a different GPU family.

Three AMD Polaris GPUs have been recently released and one of them could be used in a PS4 slim resulting in a bump from 1.8 to 2.2 TF GPU. AMD Radeon RX 460

Sony started advertising the PS4 in China last month (whole family playing including Grandma) for name recognition, apparently for casual games and Sony is expecting 2017 to exceed all yearly gross sales since 1998 with a 10% profit margin largely due to the PS4 and network services.

To my mind the lack of a h.265 VCE and a need to have a cheap PS4 for the China market makes it a lock that a PS4 Slim is being released this holiday season along with Firmware 4.0 as the Media update introducing the features we were told at Launch the PS4 would support.

When you add the PS4 media firmware update to the PS4 hardware you get a combination that Sony expects to make them money. When you add PS3 firmware 5.0 to the PS3 hardware you get a combination that Sony expects to make money due to Network services. Sony says; "they will have the largest yearly gross in 2017 since 1998 with a 10% profit margin due to the PS4 and Network services". &#8220;8&#8221; is written as &#8220;&#20843;&#8221; in Kanji. &#20843; is considered &#8220;&#26411;&#24195;&#12364;&#12426;(Suehirogari)&#8221; from its shape which widens toward the end. Suehirogari is to become more and more prosperous as time goes.

Sjefen

ui5g4zNu.jpeg

Isnt TGS a little late for a double console announcement, would think PGS is a better timeframe to build up some hype

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
They are just going to keep making small incremental changes to the base PS4 unit instead of a slim. They want to maximize PS4 NEO's attractiveness while lowering the cost of OG PS4 for the 'lower tier option'. Introducing yet another sku would mess that up because it would be expected to come with some of the advancements of NEO like 4K output, UHD BR and HDR color compatibility

Iacobellis

They are just going to keep making small incremental changes to the base PS4 unit instead of a slim. They want to maximize PS4 NEO's attractiveness while lowering the cost of OG PS4 for the 'lower tier option'. Introducing yet another sku would mess that up because it would be expected to come with some of the advancements of NEO like 4K output, UHD BR and HDR color compatibility

Having three different models would get confusing for the average consumer. Companies need to follow the Apple of the old and have a streamlined product line.

OmegaFax

The CUH-1200 was a nice improvement over the original model in terms of noise. I still think the latest model is a grab bag and can get a bit noisy at times. It has a wierd idle hum and a bit of coil whine in standby mode. It isn't a big deal of your immersed in the game.

I kind of want to see Sony go back to the PS2 slimline glory days. That thing was shockingly smaller than the original PS2 model. It won't happen but I'd like to think since Sony has the up on engineering over Microsoft in terms of hardware, they can pull off something interesting. Sony integrated the PSU into the system rather than having a power brick from the beginning while keeping the PS4 smaller than the Xbox One.

Some Nobody

The CUH-1200 was a nice improvement over the original model in terms of noise. I still think the latest model is a grab bag and can get a bit noisy at times. It has a wierd idle hum and a bit of coil whine in standby mode. It isn't a big deal of your immersed in the game.

I kind of want to see Sony go back to the PS2 slimline glory days. That thing was shockingly smaller than the original PS2 model. It won't happen but I'd like to think since Sony has the up on engineering over Microsoft in terms of hardware, they can pull off something interesting. Sony integrated the PSU into the system rather than having a power brick from the beginning while keeping the PS4 smaller than the Xbox One.

Hard drive size is the biggest barrier to creating a proper slim model. We need a new way to store data that's also got geometrically more space than what we have now.

Neo, Slim and PSVR. It seem a way too crowded holiday for PS fans. I don't think Sony doing that, neither I think someone announcing new home consoles in Japan.

Koozek

Only reason I'm holding off on buying a PS4 for FFXV in two months is that I'm waiting for the Slim announcement, but I'm not sure if it'd come before FFXV anyway :/

What are the chances of a Slim model releasing before September 30?

EDIT: Something is coming, either it's just the Neo or also a Slim, because in Germany they literally throwing PS4s at you for 220-250&#8364; including a game (recently 1TB PS4 + Uncharted 4 for 250&#8364;) or so in the last few days. They have to be making space for new models and I don't think they would do that just for Neo because they'd also want to have a cheaper product line alongside the Neo, no? And if there is no Slim they would want to sell the OG model for >= 300 instead of having all these cheap deals for weeks now, no?

Asd202

Only reason I'm holding off on buying a PS4 for FFXV in two months is that I'm waiting for the Slim announcement, but I'm not sure if it'd come before FFXV anyway :/

Slim.
Sorry I had to.
Anyway maybe wait for Neo it's a better choice than a potential Slim IMO if you can wait to play XV but looking at your posts I doubt it :p.

My prediction is that the Neo will launch with Horizon.

Koozek

Slim.
Sorry I had to.
Anyway maybe wait for Neo it's a better choice than a potential Slim IMO if you can wait to play XV but looking at your posts I doubt it :p.

Are you really asking me if I could wait to play FFXV? :p Of course I won't wait a day even, especially because I'm so lucky to have two weeks of absolute free time after my last exam 3 days before FFXV releases!

Yeah, would make sense.

Asd202

Are you really asking me if I could wait to play FFXV? :p Of course I won't wait a day even, especially because I'm so lucky to have two weeks of absolute free time after my last exam 3 days before FFXV releases!

Yeah I thought as much as I'm the same :p. I'm all in day zero digital or physical if I can get it earlier. Also we're exactly 2 months away from release so HYPE.

So Neo in February/March and Slim for the Holidays? That could happen.

jrcbandit

PS4 slim would have no real selling point, the Xbox One S has 4k video playback and HDR in games, and it's not like the PS4 is that big of console. Only the Neo will be receiving extra features. Plus, it would be way too many new choices out there when they need to promote the launch of both PS VR and Neo already.

kennyamr

PS4 slim would have no real selling point, the Xbox One S has 4k video playback and HDR in games, and it's not like the PS4 is that big of console. Only the Neo will be receiving extra features. Plus, it would be way too many new choices out there when they need to promote the launch of both PS VR and Neo already.

selling point: $199

boom

probably $249

Fat4all

Banned

It has less to do with having a "selling point" and more to do with making the console with cheaper components so that its cheaper to construct over the next couple of years of its life.

Cheaper components allows the console to be sold for cheaper as well, which is important for keeping the sales numbers high for Sony.

WaterAstro

It has less to do with having a "selling point" and more to do with making the console with cheaper components so that its cheaper to construct over the next couple of years of its life.

Cheaper components allows the console to be sold for cheaper as well, which is important for keeping the sales numbers high for Sony.

And keeping sales low for the Neo with that strategy. Whatever the price it is, it will be $200 or $300 less going towards a new Neo.

And keeping sales low for the Neo with that strategy. Whatever the price it is, it will be $200 or $300 less going towards a new Neo.
It's called options.
The most important thing for Sony is to get as many people as possible to buy their consoles, so they buy games and subscribe. They don't really care if it's a neo or not in the end.

Fat4all

Banned

I doubt Sony has a problem with having an introductory priced console while they have a premium console on the market, considering they both use the same software and that's where they make the bulk of their money.

Both have the same software, and both use the same subscription services. When a lot of PS4,s get traded in for the Neo, people who buy the second hand consoles are likely to buy new games or PS+.

WaterAstro

It's called options.
The most important thing for Sony is to get as many people as possible to buy their consoles, so they buy games and subscribe. They don't really care if it's a neo or not in the end.

I think you're missing the option called the original PS4.

Microsoft is creating 3 SKUs, and that's actually called a clusterfuck.

I doubt Sony has a problem with having an introductory priced console while they have a premium console on the market, considering they both use the same software and that's where they make the bulk of their money.

Both have the same software, and both use the same subscription services. When a lot of PS4,s get traded in for the Neo, people who buy the second hand consoles are likely to buy new games or PS+.

That's a pretty dumb statement. No company specifically create strategies to accommodate the second hand market in which they make no money from.

DonMigs85

Hard drive size is the biggest barrier to creating a proper slim model. We need a new way to store data that's also got geometrically more space than what we have now.

If they can shrink the board down to smaller than micro-ITX sized it should be possible to make a pretty small console. Maybe more cube than rectangle shaped. And might have to go with an external power brick.

Top Bottom