• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orioto art thread - New VG wall every thursday!

orioto

Good Art™
Just bought posters for Horizon, Uncharted, and Journey. So incredibly beautiful. :)

I found this thread unintentionally a couple months ago through a Google search, rather than seeing it on Neogaf itself (even though I have visited this site probably daily for the last 10 years.) I've been following it ever since. I don't think Neogaf is the best way to get exposure for a project due to how quickly it moves. Getting more people to like and share your Facebook/instagram posts is probably more effective. I also wonder if you made a formal website for your work if that would help things, from which you display samples of your all your work and link to your other accounts (RedBubble, Patrion, Facebook, instagram, Twitter, even this neogaf thread, etc). I mean, if you were to write up a resume, what site would you direct your future employers to that summarizes all of your work? Although I may just be old fashioned -- maybe a formal website isn't necessary anymore. Anyways, I love your work. Keep it up.

Great, dat sony selection :p

Well i'm trying to get more people everywhere actually :p Gaf has been pretty good in bringing me sells and even patreon support i think. I can see it cause when the thread is bumped significantly, i generally see mails notifications in the same time. A personal site could be usefull but i'm never sure and it takes time. For now i use patreon public posts and it's good cause people see the patreon when they want the wallpaper.

I'm looking forward to Mario RPG. Wondering what it's gonna look like.

And I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged. You have amazing artistic talent. But it really is hard to keep a thread like this up when there's so much gaming news going on constantly.

I really hope that things pick up and you are successful with this. This is something you like to do. People would love to be paid to do what they like to do. I'm currently in retail and it's not fun. It can be either fast and stressful or slow and boring. I'm hoping I can figure out what I would actually enjoy doing as a job that pays well enough.

Anyway, keep it up. =)

Thx Lucent.
Well doing what you do is nice but it's stressful to when you don't know how much money will be at the end of the month. And it turns what you like into some kind of burden sometimes. I can't take a break for example. There will be no break this holiday cause sales have been bad.

Hey Orioto, long time fan here! I love your work. I had a question about your process and I've only recently come back to GAF so have a bit of catching up to do but I'm just wondering if you've ever done any tutorials on how you make your images? Is it completely hand drawn as in you create every element in the images yourself or do you use some assets from the games and change them to look like your water painting style?

I only ask this because some of the backgrounds look so genuinely genuine I'm stunned that it's a 2D drawing. I'm an aspiring artist myself, although I'm into a totally different thing (miniature painting) I feel like I could learn something from the way you use colour.

I'm also interested in how long each piece of work takes you to complete hours wise.

I use matte painting and some digi painting additionally. There was a halo timelaps where you can see some of the process but not every part. Cause it as too long. I'm not a drawer nor a painter initially, even if i'm more comfortable with colors than lines obviously. Even if i use a lot of photo assets, i work by feeling and with many layers added on top of each other, so it's actually more like a painter process where you try and add things as you feel it.

My incoming Earthbound art use no photos cause it was really too surreal, except for the sky which is a composite of many skies with things added on top as often, so it's more digi painting and toshop tools. I use the lasso and lighting layer a lot for example, so i can blur them the way i want after that.

Orioto don't take a lack of replies as a sign of disinterest. But people are getting used to everything, even amazing art, and at one point, always replying with «Amazing work» doesn't seem very constructive. It's like repeating yourself like a broken record. It's the same for the pictures I post on Facebook, I used to get a lot of comments and praise, now people are used to it, and only like once in a while. It doesn't bother me as I'm doing it mainly for me, and I know I make some pretty good pictures now after all the good comments. On the other hand, it's true a photo doesn't take as much time as your work.
Have the sales slowed down?
Maybe you could also try more variety because while your style is great and you seem to have perfected it, the huge landscapes with tiny characters are getting a bit samey? I don't want to sound harsh, maybe it's also time to get out of your comfort zone? Using more dramatic viewing angles, more close-ups, different color palette than pastels, black & white?
Don't doubt yourself in any case.

That's my point actually. And i always always seem like a douchebag on gaf cause most of the time i have an attitude and i don't think like everyone else, but mostly it's cause i feel humble about my work that i often seem cocky. Cause, see, you're telling me you know you're doing good pictures after some of the comments you had and it's ok if you don't always have them. Well no, it doesn't work like that for me. Every art is a challenge and a quest. Everytime i don't know if it's going to be good or if i'll fuck up. It's not about my general skill and it's not about needing some reassuring about it. It's about each art. Each one of them is a risk and i'm always afraid i fucked up with one. Or i missed the target and it won't appeal to the fans of the game. Each art is meant to reach a group of fans.

I don't need people to come here and tell me i'm great etc.. What make me happy is when people are happy about a game i chose. It's really the kind of interaction i'm waiting from gaf. Did i chose a significant part of the game, did i make its mood and spirit alive in my work. This is really about that all the time. And i,m really serious about it. This is my work, really. I've started to be way more varied in the game picked. I mean it goes from lufia to arkham knight in a week. Not everyone on the net is paying homage to such an extended part of the game history. That's what should be attracting comments here. My paintings are not some sort of landscape skill demonstration. They mean something to a certain culture.. That part is really underappreciated.

And again, yeah people tend to be used to something on the net and say nothing about it, and act like it's a given, and not all the time thoughts and dedication, and risks. I'm a douchebag when i just say "well don't be like that people, say something" cause i shouldn't be lecturing my audience right. Small things make you hated by people in this world.

Keep it up, I always always aways check this thread when it gets bumped. I really admire your skill. :)

Thx!

That is absolutely wonderful, Orioto. I wish the game had a tenth of this direction, and it is a fucking beautiful game.

As for the perceived lack of interest, I can understand that must be frustrating when you're pouring a piece of yourself into something. But just keep it in context: this thread is an epic success in comparison with ANY other non-OT thread on this board. I would echo the sentiment though that, while you're work is consistently tremendous - maybe it has gotten too... consistent? Would be nice to see you mix up your style a bit. Just a thought.

As always, keep up the wonderful work, GAF is a better place because of it.

Thx! I think that part in the game is pretty poetic to actually! I was inspired by it!

The thread seems an epic success cause it has many views and posts but in the last 4-5 years it's been 60% of my own posts lol!

Now about my work being not varied enough.
Well, this is me i'm sorry. You can't ask artists to become other artists, and people do that often. My work is pretty amazingly varied compared to other artists actually, in the type of worlds and mood i depict. Find artists with such a range of colors and tone on internet, and bring it to me. I'm sorry i defend what i do, so i'll again look like a douchebag to judgemental gaf. Also about Koopakid said, i'm constantly leaving the confort zone. See, i can say people are douchebagy to, in all friendship there. They are not doing the work, they don't know the sweat, the doubts, the challenges, they don't know about all that. And they tell you "exit the confort zone". There is NO confort zone for me. People judge things with a simplifying glass and are like yeah the art are the same cause they are landscape with tiny characters. That's what i do, and those landscape are super different, and they are the art. A tiny character in a colorful forest with monet inspirations and a tiny character in an industrial design are realllllly different work, and the tiny character part, i don't give a shit about it. The landscapes are what makes my art. And it's incredibly varied, AND i've been trying things that i never did before in the last months, more cityscapes, more complex compositions that i'm struggling with most of the time.

So yeah you're constantly trying to push yourself, always stressed about being able to finish a piece, and people are like "maybe you should exit your confort zone". Sorry again to defend my work in such an horrible douchy attitude.

Now about the sales question. It's been dead, maybe 40% less since i stopped the limit. Cause people have no reason to buy anything now, if there is not the threat of it disappearing of course. I was thinking the old popular art would bring regular sales to compensate but it's strangely not the case.

So the patreon should have been a nice bonus to help me but now it's making up for what i lack with the sales. Which creates a stressful situation cause patreon is a gift but also a source of stress for an artist. I mean when you post a new art there, it won't bring more patreons, obviously cause only patrons see it, BUT each time, your new art will be received by 1 or 2 people being all "haaa yeah i don't like it, i'll stop supporting you". The idea that your work can make you lose support somewhat is kinda horrible for an artist. It's like playing a videogame of life with perma death..

So yeah to summarize, i'd like you people to realize it's not a given. I'm not a douchebag gifted artist who does his thing easily and wants more and more attention out of it. It's never easy, it's never certain, it's always a fucking adventure, every art. So it's nice when, even when i did something less good, somoene like it, or say something nice, cause it makes me feel a little less shitty about it. People don't realize how much somoene invest himself in something like that..

KooopaKid

Banned
That's my point actually. And i always always seem like a douchebag on gaf cause most of the time i have an attitude and i don't think like everyone else, but mostly it's cause i feel humble about my work that i often seem cocky. Cause, see, you're telling me you know you're doing good pictures after some of the comments you had and it's ok if you don't always have them. Well no, it doesn't work like that for me. Every art is a challenge and a quest. Everytime i don't know if it's going to be good or if i'll fuck up. It's not about my general skill and it's not about needing some reassuring about it. It's about each art. Each one of them is a risk and i'm always afraid i fucked up with one. Or i missed the target and it won't appeal to the fans of the game. Each art is meant to reach a group of fans.
I don't need people to come here and tell me i'm great etc.. What make me happy is when people are happy about a game i chose. It's really the kind of interaction i'm waiting from gaf. Did i chose a significant part of the game, did i make its mood and spirit alive in my work. This is really about that all the time. And i,m really serious about it. This is my work, really. I've started to be way more varied in the game picked. I mean it goes from lufia to arkham knight in a week. Not everyone on the net is paying homage to such an extended part of the game history. That's what should be attracting comments here. My paintings are not some sort of landscape skill demonstration. They mean something to a certain culture.. That part is really underappreciated.

I get what you say but you shouldn't expect people to comment every time, or you will inevitably be disappointed. You should do it for yourself first and foremost, not trying to please someone else otherwise it just becomes a product. Ideally, your art should reflect what you felt about playing a particular scene of a favourite game of yours. Trying to show the soul of that moment.
BTW out of curiosity, have you played all the games you made a drawing for?
Your fondest videogame memories are mostly related to Nintendo consoles right?

I think your best pieces are related to old 2D games when our imagination was needed to fill the dots, and your art manages to bring to life that vision in our minds. 3D games and more recent ones don't need any filling and don't work as well IMO.

BTW, I hadn't seen this piece:

beforethejump_by_orioto-d9wj5pz.jpg

It really gets the tone right of that moment.

Now about my work being not varied enough.
Well, this is me i'm sorry. You can't ask artists to become other artists, and people do that often. My work is pretty amazingly varied compared to other artists actually, in the type of worlds and mood i depict. Find artists with such a range of colors and tone on internet, and bring it to me. I'm sorry i defend what i do, so i'll again look like a douchebag to judgemental gaf. Also about Koopakid said, i'm constantly leaving the confort zone. See, i can say people are douchebagy to, in all friendship there. They are not doing the work, they don't know the sweat, the doubts, the challenges, they don't know about all that. And they tell you "exit the confort zone". There is NO confort zone for me. People judge things with a simplifying glass and are like yeah the art are the same cause they are landscape with tiny characters. That's what i do, and those landscape are super different, and they are the art. A tiny character in a colorful forest with monet inspirations and a tiny character in an industrial design are realllllly different work, and the tiny character part, i don't give a shit about it. The landscapes are what makes my art. And it's incredibly varied, AND i've been trying things that i never did before in the last months, more cityscapes, more complex compositions that i'm struggling with most of the time.

You're right to defend your work but I'm just stating my impressions too. I just think a lot of your drawings involve a dreamy landscape with pastel tones in a slightly blurry background with small characters in the foreground in a flat, 2D plane. I'm not saying they are not great, just that 60-70% of your work seem to follow that pattern quite often, and a cityscape or a mountain background don't change that impression of a similar composition. I'm allowing myself to be a bit critical, I'm often a harsh critic in any fields, but only praise is a bit boring right? :)
Don't take it personally of course, it's just one opinion.

orioto

Good Art™
I get what you say but you shouldn't expect people to comment every time, or you will inevitably be disappointed. You should do it for yourself first and foremost, not trying to please someone else otherwise it just becomes a product. Ideally, your art should reflect what you felt about playing a particular scene of a favourite game of yours. Trying to show the soul of that moment.
BTW out of curiosity, have you played all the games you made a drawing for?
Your fondest videogame memories are mostly related to Nintendo consoles right?

I think your best pieces are related to old 2D games when our imagination was needed to fill the dots, and your art manages to bring to life that vision in our minds. 3D games and more recent ones don't need any filling and don't work as well IMO.

Yeah that's the thing here. That would have been boring quick if i only did the games of my childhood. And pretty quick people asked for games. Again this is meant to be a community thing, not just my own thing.

And nowadays most of what people ask for, and most of what sells, is modern stuff.
You know as an artist there is two choice. You can find a boring job and continue doing art on the side (in most case you will stop cause too tired), or you can try to make a path with your art. But then, that means you have to make money with it, and that means you'll have to take into consideration what people want or not. That's like any sort of art, like when you do a movie, or a game. if people don't want it, you won't be able to continue. That's a balance to find.

But today i'm more motivated to create a real large collection of art from different period of gaming, rather than paying homage to my fav games. It's more of an ambitious project for me than simply my little pleasure thing. Things has to develop at some point in your life.

Lucent

Yeah I get what you mean by the stress of not having a certain amount of income locked in place. Only reason I'm dealing with the stress of retail since I make the same every check. But if you could get a comfortable living off what you love it'd be great.

Very much looking forward to the Earthbound one. Still one of my fave RPGs of all time. I'm excited to have it included on the SNES classic mini. I have it on my Wii U and still own the cartridge. But I want to use that controller again.

Mr. Robot

Yeah that's the thing here. That would have been boring quick if i only did the games of my childhood. And pretty quick people asked for games. Again this is meant to be a community thing, not just my own thing.

And nowadays most of what people ask for, and most of what sells, is modern stuff.
You know as an artist there is two choice. You can find a boring job and continue doing art on the side (in most case you will stop cause too tired), or you can try to make a path with your art. But then, that means you have to make money with it, and that means you'll have to take into consideration what people want or not. That's like any sort of art, like when you do a movie, or a game. if people don't want it, you won't be able to continue. That's a balance to find.

But today i'm more motivated to create a real large collection of art from different period of gaming, rather than paying homage to my fav games. It's more of an ambitious project for me than simply my little pleasure thing. Things has to develop at some point in your life.

Or else you will eventually run out of games to paint :p.
Just wanted to let you know that i lurk your thread to appreciate your art, actually i had your first link to the past paintings as a wallpaper when i was younger and didn't know you made them until i saw your thread here years later.

orioto

Good Art™
Yeah I get what you mean by the stress of not having a certain amount of income locked in place. Only reason I'm dealing with the stress of retail since I make the same every check. But if you could get a comfortable living off what you love it'd be great.

Very much looking forward to the Earthbound one. Still one of my fave RPGs of all time. I'm excited to have it included on the SNES classic mini. I have it on my Wii U and still own the cartridge. But I want to use that controller again.

I'm working on it as much as i can!
But i may have a teaching job in a videogame school at the fall, it should help normally. Even if it's just 3 hours a week. I already gave a 5 cessions class there and it was nice.

I hope you'll like the earthbound art, it's kinda weird! Took a lot of liberties and it's not the most famous part of the game.

Or else you will eventually run out of games to paint :p.
Just wanted to let you know that i lurk your thread to appreciate your art, actually i had your first link to the past paintings as a wallpaper when i was younger and didn't know you made them until i saw your thread here years later.

Thx for saying something finally then :)

While i'm here, i made changes to the got poster presentation. No more text, something more cute and visual. And character up from 42 to 55 cause why not. It's difficult to select the last ones without omitting important ones.

Oh damn that one is fantastic.

Very mystical and dreamlike. Would be nice in a kids room, though I'm not sure any kids would even know what Earthbound is 😔

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oh damn that one is fantastic.

Very mystical and dreamlike. Would be nice in a kids room, though I'm not sure any kids would even know what Earthbound is ��
That's the kind of picture where you don't even need to know what it's from. It conveys the whimsy of Earthbound well enough on its own. I'm sure kids would love it. If I had a son it'd be in his room right now.

It's not in my room because I have Sephiroth burning down a town instead, lol.

orioto

Good Art™
In Japan, he's naked because in japanese symbolism being naked is represents purity. Since he's in his own mindscape he is free from earthly tethers and is in his pure form.

Indeed and was censored in the west!
But indeed Lucent i did him in his regular clothe cause i picked a rarely depicted place so most people won't even know what it is.

deleted

So, dunno how you are about suggestions these days, but have you thought about doing something from the SNES Disney catalogue before?

I'd love to see something from Goof Troop or even a little more obscure - Maui Mallard sometime in the future...

That said, I really like the last stuff you did lately. I don't watch this thread that regularly, but I scan it every other week for your new work.
Looking forward to your next shirt btw, should you choose to do one again :D

ZombAid82

Hey Orioto,

is there a possibility to get all your previous works in 4k without a monthly payment?
I love your work, but 10$ a Month is to steep for me...

orioto

Good Art™
So, dunno how you are about suggestions these days, but have you thought about doing something from the SNES Disney catalogue before?

I'd love to see something from Goof Troop or even a little more obscure - Maui Mallard sometime in the future...

That said, I really like the last stuff you did lately. I don't watch this thread that regularly, but I scan it every other week for your new work.
Looking forward to your next shirt btw, should you choose to do one again :D

Thx!

Well i can hear suggestions for sure and keep them in a part of my head, but requests are more a patreon thing now of course! I'll probably do more disney anyway yeah.

Shirt yeah hmm i'll see. Lacks motivation. It's mostly to bring more income to be honest and it wasn't a great success. I know i should send them to shirt sites etc.. but everything takes time.

Hey Orioto,

is there a possibility to get all your previous works in 4k without a monthly payment?
I love your work, but 10$ a Month is to steep for me...

Well technically you can pay one month only and take everything you need.. You can even downgrade to 2$ after that if you want to keep supporting me!

But no, no other way, that wouldn't be really cool for the ones paying :p

ZombAid82

Well technically you can pay one month only and take everything you need.. You can even downgrade to 2$ after that if you want to keep supporting me!

But no, no other way, that wouldn't be really cool for the ones paying :p

So, you would be okay, if I only pay once?
Good to know!
Cheers.

ZombAid82

Well i won't be encouraging people to do that, but there is nothing to stop you from doing it. But you won't have the next ones in 4k after that.

Hmm, somehow the Check-out doesn't work at my NC(Network Computer, the worst kind!) at work.
Have to try at home.

Hulohot

Neo Member
Fantastic art, will probably buy a lot for my house when money gets sorted.

Would love love love a PS1 Tombi/Tomba piece.

orioto

Good Art™
I never played Earthbound so I don't know the context but this piece looks very ethereal.
One thing that bothers me is the transparent thing over the main character.

A giant condom!

Hmm, somehow the Check-out doesn't work at my NC(Network Computer, the worst kind!) at work.
Have to try at home.

I know patreon has problems with some banks sometimes and some paiement are declined. That's unfortunate.

Fantastic art, will probably buy a lot for my house when money gets sorted.

Would love love love a PS1 Tombi/Tomba piece.

Great :)
And interesting idea.

ZombAid82

I know patreon has problems with some banks sometimes and some paiement are declined. That's unfortunate.

I don't think it's that, but after entering my CC or Paypal information's, the site just doesn't load the next script...
A common problem here @work.
It will work at home for sure.
But I really hope, you're okay with it. That you can do nothing about it, doesn't sound like that to me, tbh. I would gladly pay the 11,90€ including tax for me for the art that is already existing, and if I need another package, I would gladly pay again.
But as said before 11,90 a month is to steep atm for me.
But downsizing the pledge to 2$ is definitely doable.

orioto

Good Art™
I don't think it's that, but after entering my CC or Paypal information's, the site just doesn't load the next script...
A common problem here @work.
It will work at home for sure.
But I really hope, you're okay with it. That you can do nothing about it, doesn't sound like that to me, tbh. I would gladly pay the 11,90€ including tax for me for the art that is already existing, and if I need another package, I would gladly pay again.
But as said before 11,90 a month is to steep atm for me.
But downsizing the pledge to 2$ is definitely doable.

Don't worry it's ok, what i mean is i hope people don't all do that :)

deleted

Thx!

Well i can hear suggestions for sure and keep them in a part of my head, but requests are more a patreon thing now of course! I'll probably do more disney anyway yeah.

Shirt yeah hmm i'll see. Lacks motivation. It's mostly to bring more income to be honest and it wasn't a great success. I know i should send them to shirt sites etc.. but everything takes time.

Well, no worries, I'm enjoying the one shirt I got :p

I'd try to send your excisting shirt to Qwerty and Ripapparel btw. Might help you out, especially if you would manage to time it with the next Zelda DLC or shortly before.

orioto

Good Art™
Well, no worries, I'm enjoying the one shirt I got :p

I'd try to send your excisting shirt to Qwerty and Ripapparel btw. Might help you out, especially if you would manage to time it with the next Zelda DLC or shortly before.

Qwerty for exemple asks for 7 colors and i tried to convert my zelda shirt to screen print and it was not pretty..

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Would love to see a new art from Ghouls 'n Ghosts,
Opening area with Arthur in gold armature using super lightning and the tentacle plants all around would be super sweet...

I missed the earlier "controversy" until now but I wanted to put my two cents.

As someone who has always worked in an office programmer job, but is, as of early this year, quit it temporarily to create a game entirely on my own, Orioto's doubts resonate strongly with me. It's a completely different world when you have to make every single decision yourself, rather than doing what you're "supposed" to do and get paid at the end of the month. It's easily the hardest and most stressing part of it all, and frankly it's tempting to quell that inner nagging voice simply by working more.

As such, feedback is indescribably invaluable to me. I send a weekly build of my game to friends for them to try, and receiving feedback is the most amazing feeling in the world, whereas when I send a version and nobody replies, it's absolutely soul-crushing. It's something impossible to understand by anyone that hasn't done something like this. Sincerely, guys, if you have never left everything to embark in a completely solo venture, your "you should do it for yourself" comments are coming from a place of sheer ignorance, not maturity or enlightment. Sorry to be so blunt but that's how it is.

Now, back to Orioto's case: I love your art so much I can't put it into words. I've had it as my Vita wallpaper for ages, I've had it as several computer's wallpapers for ages, and if/when I buy a house I'll be sure to buy prints to decorate the walls. That said, and unfortunately, everything (and I mean everything) eventually becomes an accepted reality. If you see someone flying it is amazing. If you see people flying everyday for a few years, it's just an everyday fact. The first time I saw your Zelda and Chrono Trigger pieces, my jaw dropped. Now, when I see this thread bumped (which I'm subscribed too), I see the new artwork and I think "amazing, as always". It's every bit as good as always, but it's not "shocking" anymore. And that's simply human nature.

This is compounded by two issues:
1) You work insanely fast. Paradoxically, this makes it harder to appreciate each individual piece. If you put a piece of art once a month, it would be a major event; several a week make it hard to keep up, let alone let them soak in.
2) Your work being so good, also paradoxically, invites less comment. People gravitate naturally to comment on what they dislike: when everything is perfectly arranged, there's less to say. Further, your obvious expertise makes it intimidating to comment even if one were to dislike something: "who am I to criticise Orioto's work?".

You mention that you would love for people to comment on what they like too, and again, I emphatize with that so much (I keep telling my friends precisely that, not just to bask in the praise but simply to know what works and merits being explored further). It just doesn't come as naturally to people to criticism, which I guess is a natural consequence of criticism being a plea for change and thus more psychologically compelling.

I realize I'm part of the problem and one should change oneself before requesting change from others, so I'll try to make a point from now on to comment on your work, even if it means "I particularly like this part".

As such, feedback is indescribably invaluable to me. I send a weekly build of my game to friends for them to try, and receiving feedback is the most amazing feeling in the world, whereas when I send a version and nobody replies, it's absolutely soul-crushing. It's something impossible to understand by anyone that hasn't done something like this. Sincerely, guys, if you have never left everything to embark in a completely solo venture, your "you should do it for yourself" comments are coming from a place of sheer ignorance, not maturity or enlightment. Sorry to be so blunt but that's how it is.
Huh I never thought of it that way, that must be an awful feeling.

It's been a while since I have posted or bought anything but every night before I go to bed, I check for new updates or art. I know it won't really help you financially since they are just words but I'll my best from now on to give some good feedback on your stuff Orioto! : )

I love your Uncharted 4 piece BTW. I really like how the lighting goes well with the darker shades of color. What made you choose that scene/area in particular?

orioto

Good Art™
What? That's strange... Most of the stuff that's on there is 1 to 3 colors. For example the Portal one.

Well 3 or 7 the problem is my art is not done for separated colors in first place and it's a mess when you try to convert it :)

Would love to see a new art from Ghouls 'n Ghosts,
Opening area with Arthur in gold armature using super lightning and the tentacle plants all around would be super sweet...

Problem being every requests (the vote one and the direct commission one) from my patrons are modern games.. What can i do..

I missed the earlier "controversy" until now but I wanted to put my two cents.

As someone who has always worked in an office programmer job, but is, as of early this year, quit it temporarily to create a game entirely on my own, Orioto's doubts resonate strongly with me. It's a completely different world when you have to make every single decision yourself, rather than doing what you're "supposed" to do and get paid at the end of the month. It's easily the hardest and most stressing part of it all, and frankly it's tempting to quell that inner nagging voice simply by working more.

Now, back to Orioto's case: I love your art so much I can't put it into words. I've had it as my Vita wallpaper for ages, I've had it as several computer's wallpapers for ages, and if/when I buy a house I'll be sure to buy prints to decorate the walls. That said, and unfortunately, everything (and I mean everything) eventually becomes an accepted reality. If you see someone flying it is amazing. If you see people flying everyday for a few years, it's just an everyday fact. The first time I saw your Zelda and Chrono Trigger pieces, my jaw dropped. Now, when I see this thread bumped (which I'm subscribed too), I see the new artwork and I think "amazing, as always". It's every bit as good as always, but it's not "shocking" anymore. And that's simply human nature.

This is compounded by two issues:
1) You work insanely fast. Paradoxically, this makes it harder to appreciate each individual piece. If you put a piece of art once a month, it would be a major event; several a week make it hard to keep up, let alone let them soak in.
2) Your work being so good, also paradoxically, invites less comment. People gravitate naturally to comment on what they dislike: when everything is perfectly arranged, there's less to say. Further, your obvious expertise makes it intimidating to comment even if one were to dislike something: "who am I to criticise Orioto's work?".

You mention that you would love for people to comment on what they like too, and again, I emphatize with that so much (I keep telling my friends precisely that, not just to bask in the praise but simply to know what works and merits being explored further). It just doesn't come as naturally to people to criticism, which I guess is a natural consequence of criticism being a plea for change and thus more psychologically compelling.

I realize I'm part of the problem and one should change oneself before requesting change from others, so I'll try to make a point from now on to comment on your work, even if it means "I particularly like this part".

It's pretty rare that someone here post to support my view, so thx :) I won't go into details to not start the conversation again!

Just, again, i'm not looking for criticism, positive, or negative. i'm too old for that honestly lol. That's the thing on gaf. Posting in an art threat has to be useful criticism or it's not worthy. You know, everywhere else, people just say something like "thx that's my fav game". But on GAF it's really difficult for people to just say something like that. Cause GAF is proud. It's too proud to just say thx. it has to tell you if your art is good or not :p A guy is doing videogame art every week and gives away wallpapers. I don't know, people could just say thx, which helps me also by bumping the thread and giving it more views. No need to say something super deep lol. Why does it have to be a complex debate about what they should say or not..

And my art is not going to evolve all the time. So yeah there is no need to be impressed all the time and say something about it. And i get that people are used to it. But at least, they should be happy when it's a game they like! That's all i ask for! really :)

It's been a while since I have posted or bought anything but every night before I go to bed, I check for new updates or art. I know it won't really help you financially since they are just words but I'll my best from now on to give some good feedback on your stuff Orioto! : )

I love your Uncharted 4 piece BTW. I really like how the lighting goes well with the darker shades of color. What made you choose that scene/area in particular?

Commenting is always helping! It was difficult to find something cause those games are so beautiful.. I can't just redo a scene the same way with less details. So i need to find my own weather condition, light and mood. But then i need something that people will recognize (like the mountain here).

kubus

Just stopping by to say that I'm finally moving to a bigger apartment in September and then I can finally put the three prints I bought from you last year on the wall! :D. So excited!

Might get even more prints by then if we've still got space left because I'm loving your newest pieces to the point that I can't decide what else to get...

Awful doesn't begin to describe it, it can take the wind entirely out of your sails.

It's pretty rare that someone here post to support my view, so thx :) I won't go into details to not start the conversation again!

Just, again, i'm not looking for criticism, positive, or negative. i'm too old for that honestly lol. That's the thing on gaf. Posting in an art threat has to be useful criticism or it's not worthy. You know, everywhere else, people just say something like "thx that's my fav game". But on GAF it's really difficult for people to just say something like that. Cause GAF is proud. It's too proud to just say thx. it has to tell you if your art is good or not :p A guy is doing videogame art every week and gives away wallpapers. I don't know, people could just say thx, which helps me also by bumping the thread and giving it more views. No need to say something super deep lol. Why does it have to be a complex debate about what they should say or not..

And my art is not going to evolve all the time. So yeah there is no need to be impressed all the time and say something about it. And i get that people are used to it. But at least, they should be happy when it's a game they like! That's all i ask for! really :)

Commenting is always helping! It was difficult to find something cause those games are so beautiful.. I can't just redo a scene the same way with less details. So i need to find my own weather condition, light and mood. But then i need something that people will recognize (like the mountain here).

I didn't know simply a "thanks" is what you would prefer, I felt like I had to provide some specific feedback to be helpful. I guess I was projecting from my current position, as feedback is what I need the most, but obviously you've been at this for decades while I'm barely a few months into my stuff, so our positions are very different. In fact I now realize your position is more similar to my "serious" jobs, where I also had decades of experience and acknowledgement of a job well done was the most rewarding feedback.

I can certainly express the thanks I already feel whenever you post a new piece; I'll be sure to do so from now on. :)

orioto

Good Art™
Just stopping by to say that I'm finally moving to a bigger apartment in September and then I can finally put the three prints I bought from you last year on the wall! :D. So excited!

Might get even more prints by then if we've still got space left because I'm loving your newest pieces to the point that I can't decide what else to get...

Thx :) Good luck with your new apartment then :p

Awful doesn't begin to describe it, it can take the wind entirely out of your sails.

I didn't know simply a "thanks" is what you would prefer, I felt like I had to provide some specific feedback to be helpful. I guess I was projecting from my current position, as feedback is what I need the most, but obviously you've been at this for decades while I'm barely a few months into my stuff, so our positions are very different. In fact I now realize your position is more similar to my "serious" jobs, where I also had decades of experience and acknowledgement of a job well done was the most rewarding feedback.

I can certainly express the thanks I already feel whenever you post a new piece; I'll be sure to do so from now on. :)

Thx ;) But hey i'm not asking for thx right. i'm saying, it seems to be so troublesome to gaffers.. What to tell me, when really it's not :)

batfax

Love it! This part of Magicant was always really memorable and you really brought it out.

Saw people comment on the pajamas/nudity part of this game, but it's probably notable that there is a Ness in his full outfit there...

hqdefault.jpg

I actually thought it was him specifically, since he's on a little cliff looking out at the rest of the path!

Problem being every requests (the vote one and the direct commission one) from my patrons are modern games.. What can i do..

Kind of a bummer, but I guess fingers crossed I get the pull for the monthly some time. I think just about anything I'd ask for is at least a decade old.

orioto

Good Art™
Love it! This part of Magicant was always really memorable and you really brought it out.

Saw people comment on the pajamas/nudity part of this game, but it's probably notable that there is a Ness in his full outfit there...

I actually thought it was him specifically, since he's on a little cliff looking out at the rest of the path!

Kind of a bummer, but I guess fingers crossed I get the pull for the monthly some time. I think just about anything I'd ask for is at least a decade old.

I should have put a wrapped gift there!
Anyway a decade old is not that old :p

got update, one last line to go

RPGset-GOT7.jpg

I should have put a wrapped gift there!
Anyway a decade old is not that old :p

got update, one last line to go

RPGset-GOT7.jpg

Lovely! I've always loved that style ever since the chibi illustrations of FFVI (which I even used for custom Magic the Gathering cards way back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth). The only thing is, although I understand that putting names and jobs ate a lot of the space, it allowed me to recognize more characters, as, althouth I've read all published books, I've not been following the series past the first couple season.

orioto

Good Art™
Lovely! I've always loved that style ever since the chibi illustrations of FFVI (which I even used for custom Magic the Gathering cards way back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth). The only thing is, although I understand that putting names and jobs ate a lot of the space, it allowed me to recognize more characters, as, althouth I've read all published books, I've not been following the series past the first couple season.

Well yeah but it's clearly more cute without the text, as a poster i think :p But i'll put a list with the character names in order for you!

Well yeah but it's clearly more cute without the text, as a poster i think :p But i'll put a list with the character names in order for you!

Hahah, thanks.
Also it might be "cuter" without text, but... it's GoT we're talking here, "cute" is not something I tend to associated with it. :) I also liked the witty / black humour job descriptions. I'm just big on black humour. :D But it's not meant to be a criticism, I understand why you made the choice and it's also good, just different.

orioto

Good Art™
Hahah, thanks.
Also it might be "cuter" without text, but... it's GoT we're talking here, "cute" is not something I tend to associated with it. :) I also liked the witty / black humour job descriptions. I'm just big on black humour. :D But it's not meant to be a criticism, I understand why you made the choice and it's also good, just different.

well yeah i worked on my jokes, i regret them to^^

Top Bottom