• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of all the bad videogame webcomics, which is the worst?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Tails Gets Trolled... I don't even know what to make of it. It's like... weirdly funny, yet not funny at all, and sometimes terrifying.

I used to love Psyguy's comics, and Bob and George, back when I was around 13. BaG had a pretty good canon going on, like someone else has already said, and I remember getting pretty invested in it back in the day. Was really involved in those communities for a while, too. Everyone hated Psyguy for some reason I can't remember, though.

CAD is one that I've grown to really dislike. I have a soft spot in my heart for PA, and Jerry Holkins is actually a personal hero of mine, but their quality has declined, recently. I'm convinced it's because they're involved with running PA the company as well as PA the comic, have families, are industry figureheads, and are just not goofy teenagers/young adults anymore.

I'm not saying it's funny, just that it's at least somewhat true. Saying this as a Wii owner and gaming forum-goer. The comic is representing a kind of behavior that exists.

Maybe what the comic is saying doesn't actually need to be said though. Plus it's more of an "I get it" situation than a "I find this funny" situation, if you get my meaning.

It really doesn't though. What it does well is embody the persecution complex prevalent in a large portion of the Nintendo fanbase online and the strawman arguments they use (Nintendo is the only ones who make colorful games, etc.), hence the unintentional comedy.

the chris

It's too easy to say CAD, so I'll give a dishonorable mention to Danny and Spot by Tom Preston.

The adventures of a Hardcore PS360 gamer and a Nintendo Fanboy. Guess who's supposed to be whom.

u8rTPHM.jpg

dd76fEA.jpg

9vs1hC9.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Dobson comics are wretched and easily the most insipid ones posted in this thread. If you sympathize with them, you're part of the problem.

Castef

Banned
Can't say which ones are the worst. For sure, The Trenches, Penny Arcade and Castle Vidcons are the best.

I also loved the now-defunct Eegra.

CorvoSol

Tails Gets Trolled... I don't even know what to make of it. It's like... weirdly funny, yet not funny at all, and sometimes terrifying.

I used to love Psyguy's comics, and Bob and George, back when I was around 13. BaG had a pretty good canon going on, like someone else has already said, and I remember getting pretty invested in it back in the day. Was really involved in those communities for a while, too. Everyone hated Psyguy for some reason I can't remember, though.

CAD is one that I've grown to really dislike. I have a soft spot in my heart for PA, and Jerry Holkins is actually a personal hero of mine, but their quality has declined, recently. I'm convinced it's because they're involved with running PA the company as well as PA the comic, have families, are industry figureheads, and are just not goofy teenagers/young adults anymore.

Oh yeah I was really big into Bob and George as a kid. That and Captain SNES, which is ongoing, but never updates.

espher

Here's a good resource for why people hate this comic: http://badwebcomicswiki.shoutwiki.com/wiki/VG_Cats

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post. Couldn't multi-quote for some reason.

I'm not exactly a fan of VG Cats, but I'm trying to follow the things that Wiki is pointing me to as to why the comic is bad/the author is a douche, and even reconciling the mistaken pointers to comics, I'm not seeing a lot of it. Was it in, like, the news posts relating to the comics or stuff outside of it or what?

Boogiepop

Randomly remembered finding the Brentalfloss comic pretty bad. Not as atrocious as some of the stuff here IIRC, but definitely not good at all.

aravuus

Somehow, inspired by this thread, I decided to check Preston's syac again.

Jesus fucking christ that guy annoys me so much.

Roto13

Randomly remembered finding the Brentalfloss comic pretty bad. Not as atrocious as some of the stuff here IIRC, but definitely not good at all.

It's not like a collaboration between Andrew Dobson and Brentalfloss could be anything but awful.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I've always enjoyed her comics.

What's the consensus on 8 bit theater? I enjoyed that when it was ongoing but never went back and finished it.
8-bit Theater is good. It's another comic that follows a canon storyline in addition to being a comedy strip. I haven't read it since... 2005, I think, but I remember spending an entire weekend catching up on it.

I'm also glad that nobody has mentioned PvP as bad.

CorvoSol

... Wanna get some ice cream?

I don't have time for two flash back arcs and a trip through an alternate timeline.

What's the consensus on 8 bit theater? I enjoyed that when it was ongoing but never went back and finished it.

King of the Sprite Comics. Bob and George might be the Grandaddy and Cap'N SNES runs on my nostalgia, but 8 Bit Theater is legitimately funny no matter what.

RetroMG

I'm also glad that nobody has mentioned PvP as bad.

PvP is never bad. At worst it's been bland and boring at times, but never straight up awful. I will confess that I almost always stop reading around Christmas when the Scratch Fury has his Christmas arc, although this year it was somewhat entertaining.

Marjar

Banned

Pretty much god tier.

It kind of went on for too long and remixed old jokes a bit too much, but even at its worst it was a billion times better than any of the shitty comics posted in this thread.

squidyj

Oh yeah I was really big into Bob and George as a kid. That and Captain SNES, which is ongoing, but never updates.

I spent all of my high school computer programming class reading bob and george. time well spent.

oh yeah, 8-bit theater was another great webcomic, for a while at least, swordchucks yo.

Top Bottom