• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of all the bad videogame webcomics, which is the worst?

I've never understood what's so funny about webcomics and after reading this thread and what's out there...just...ugh...
That being said, thanks for getting me into Tails Gets Trolled.

Might I recommend Chris Chans comic? It's REAAAALLY good.

Edit: Giddy up.

Not

Banned
vV6QOFI.gif

Hahah "pants that aren't quite long enough"

Astarte

Well Tim is definitely an idiot but what horrible thing has he done?
I rarely follow web-comic behind the scenes drama and just read them.

Set up a charity to compete with child's play, spent the donated money on a big ass tablet instead. Sent pictures of his dick to a 14 year old girl. Plagiarizing hypocrite.

Not

Banned
Huh. The whompcomics are actually really good. It think it's because the guy might be the only gaming webcomic artist in existence who actually possesses a shred of self-awareness

C'mon, we all were dude. Some people just stayed that way; thus, gaming webcomics

Speak for yourself. When I was 12 I resented people who thought I had shitty taste, even though I must have thought that a lot of the stuff all the other 12 years were into was sort of shitty myself. *cough*
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
*cough*

Roto13

Just because there isn't a comic that does the joke better doesn't mean that this one isn't bad. Not that I think it is; personally I like the Awkward Zombie strip. But this argument makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense if you read the post I'm replying to. It doesn't seem like such a tired old joke if it hasn't actually been made a thousand times and hasn't been done better.

sibarraz

Banned
I really hope his ex-gf got on him for doing this crap.

Wait, his real gf suffered a miscarriage? what a douche.

On the same topic, why was this strip so mocked? it came out of nowhere and had no progression on the comic? for being of bad taste? or because it had no business in a vg comic?

I'm asking because I don't know why is so parodied

webrunner

Because the guy who writes it is politically right-winged and GAF refuses to acknowledge that this is a perfectly valid and alternative opinion to its mob-mentality.

I kid, I kid. But from what I've heard, the dude has some rather peculiar views on things.

Here's a good resource for why people hate this comic: http://badwebcomicswiki.shoutwiki.com/wiki/VG_Cats

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post. Couldn't multi-quote for some reason.

I can't say a lot of things about a lot of webcomic people but having been PERSONALLY fucked over by this asshole at a convention I'm going to throw my hat into the hating-him pile thanks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Speak for yourself. When I was 12 I resented people who thought I had shitty taste, even though I must have thought that a lot of the stuff all the other 12 years were into was sort of shitty myself. *cough*
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
*cough*

Power Rangers is more for like 8-9 year olds.

webrunner

Yikes, what happened?

I was on the Webcomics panel and he was scheduled to appear, but he also had his own panel. But he stayed at his panel doing autographs and shit and not only missed the webcomics panel (causing mostly nobody to show up at the webcomics panel) but also caused the panel that came after him in the room to basically be shit out of luck because the con workers couldn't even get into the room to kick him out.

Astarte

This thread has pretty much convinced me that CAD sucks.

I would have expected you to form that thought before this thread :y

I was on the Webcomics panel and he was scheduled to appear, but he also had his own panel. But he stayed at his panel doing autographs and shit and not only missed the webcomics panel (causing mostly nobody to show up at the webcomics panel) but also caused the panel that came after him in the room to basically be shit out of luck because the con workers couldn't even get into the room to kick him out.

Sorry to hear that, I hear that he's on the same tier as Andrew Dobson and Buckley in terms of public appearances.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
As much as I hate to admit it, I'm starting to come around to Tails Gets Trolled being a really, really elaborate satire.

bfRyOj4.jpg

GRW810

Looking for a constructive reply here, but I've got two questions about CAD and Buckley:

1) Why is CAD so popular and successful if it apparently sucks so bad? I used to love it and still think it's ok (and better since dropping main characters and plots) but when I first heard rabid criticism of the strip, rather than defending it, I actually had my eyes opened to many of the problems with it. So I can see why there is some dislike but I really do think it became 'the cool thing' to hate CAD. There are plenty of valid criticisms and accusations to be made but I don't think people would give it credit where credit is due if there was a good gag or funny strip, so I struggle to take a lot of the rabid hatred seriously. If CAD is an internet comic and the internet hates it then who is reading it and keeping it going? Buckley is obviously doing well out of it so the audience must be there.

2) Has anyone actually got any proof of the 'terrible' things Buckley has done, like cock photos and spending charity money? I'm not doubting anything but I'd like some evidence before despising him, and whenever I've asked for evidence in threads like this in the past nothing has materialised. Again, these accusations could be very true, but without proof they could just be rumours spread by haters of his strip.

The one thing I did see evidence of was him acting like a prick on the CAD forums, aggressively shouting down criticism and feedback, unfairly banning members, etc.

Looking for a constructive reply here, but I've got two questions about CAD and Buckley:

1) Why is CAD so popular and successful if it apparently sucks so bad? I used to love it and still think it's ok (and better since dropping main characters and plots) but when I first heard rabid criticism of the strip, rather than defending it, I actually had my eyes opened to many of the problems with it. So I can see why there is some dislike but I really do think it became 'the cool thing' to hate CAD. There are plenty of valid criticisms and accusations to be made but I don't think people would give it credit where credit is due if there was a good gag or funny strip, so I struggle to take a lot of the rabid hatred seriously. If CAD is an internet comic and the internet hates it then who is reading it and keeping it going? Buckley is obviously doing well out of it so the audience must be there.

2) Has anyone actually got any proof of the 'terrible' things Buckley has done, like cock photos and spending charity money? I'm not doubting anything but I'd like some evidence before despising him, and whenever I've asked for evidence in threads like this in the past nothing has materialised. Again, these accusations could be very true, but without proof they could just be rumours spread by haters of his strip.

The one thing I did see evidence of was him acting like a prick on the CAD forums, aggressively shouting down criticism and feedback, unfairly banning members, etc.

I just woke up, so I'm not going to be giving you the most detailed reply, but here goes.

1) Here I use the age old reverse-argument: Just because something is popular, doesn't make it good! One Direction is popular. Are they the next musical classic? Skrillex is popular. Does that make his "music" good or him any less of a douchebag? Pewdiepie is popular.... okay, I don't even WANT to talk about him this early in the morning.

2) Oh, there's proof. I'm not posting links, obviously. If I recall correctly, his ED article has most of the stuff you could ever need.

I think there are many nerds out there with juvenile senses of humor.

To the extent that "Ethan makes a reference to a popular video game and then kills someone" can be considered comedy gold.

When I was 12 or so I loved being random and I thought CAD was funny, though it was never my favorite.

I guess there's not really a point in complaining about it outside of the fact that Tim Buckley is a self-obsessed asshole.

PK Gaming

"Hiimdaisy" wasn't really a gaming webcomic, it was an artist's livejournal account. She doesn't even go by that name anymore, and actually dislikes those comics now.
I don't think she's ever outright stated that she dislikes her old work as hiimdaisy. In fact, i've seen her retweet some of her old comics and comment on them on twitter. That said, her time drawing fancomics as hiimdaisy is definitely over (though she occasionally draws a few of them on twitter / tumblr).

As an aside, her work as gigidigi has been amazing. Everyone should read Cucumber Quest and check out her Tumblr.

CAD was also terrible for the last 6 months of 2013. It became some weird serious comic about PS4-headed soldier fighting Xbox One-headed soldiers making terrible jokes about console war shit.

And it went on FOR MONTHS, only broken up by the weird-ass 4-players-that-murder-each-other-all-the-time comic.

Wait, CAD straight-up ripped off Castle Vidcons?

Some suggestions:

- Since you are putting your art out for [most] of the world to see, and considering the super intense culture of gamers, make sure you do your research, and put EFFORT into the content. People will rip you to shreds if you screw up anything related to their franchises, and depending on the situation, they might be justified in doing so. Just don't purposefully step on any toes, and don't be lazy. Treat your medium with reverant fervor. Be a mecca for gamers, and you'll gain the respect you deserve.

- Be unique. (No Portal jokes, no laser cheese, and no rampant cleavage surrounded by cookie-cutter characters). Make something that people will not only get a laugh or an interest out of, but something that they'll remember into the day... making them want to come back.

- Try out different art-styles on your concept board or whatever you use to draw, and go with something that's a compromise between stylish and artistically accurate. In my opinion, this is some of the best kind of art, and can really make you stand out in a crowd of webcomic mediocrity (or just art mediocrity in general).

Thanks for the input.

I see you're banned, that's unfortunate. :/
Well, hope you can come back.

worst webcomic... my award goes to vgcats.

rare updates being first offender, lack of funny being the second given the first offender.

CAD may be bad, but at least he consistently puts out strips, and most of them (while not hysterical, bring a funny perspective on some gaming news).

So... yeah... i don't get the obsession over the copy-paste on CAD... In a world where there's no family guy (and all the mcfarlane series)/the simpsons, alright... I could have a problem.

However, the author comes off as an hypocrite in many ways.

This has been my only webcomic strip about gaming here... and it paid off!

PvGJc.jpg

i lie, i also posted this one for the same contest http://i.imgur.com/5bbA1.jpg

Javier

It's too easy to say CAD, so I'll give a dishonorable mention to Danny and Spot by Tom Preston.

The adventures of a Hardcore PS360 gamer and a Nintendo Fanboy. Guess who's supposed to be whom.

u8rTPHM.jpg

dd76fEA.jpg

Roto13

It's too easy to say CAD, so I'll give a dishonorable mention to Danny and Spot by Tom Preston.

The adventures of a Hardcore PS360 gamer and a Nintendo Fanboy. Guess who's supposed to be whom.

u8rTPHM.jpg

dd76fEA.jpg

I kind of want to punch the smug right off that... dog... cat... thing....

glaurung

VG Cats is a vile piece of shit.

But that's not the reason I am posting here. I wanted to defend Penny Arcade which seems to be getting a lot of flak here. I started reading PA when they started and for the first couple of years their work was magic.

But it's been over ten years now. More than that. I have changed (well, not really), but more important, PA has changed. They're grown men now with families and their focus is elsewhere. At least I can reflect on a time when their work was fun and I enjoyed it as much as they enjoyed doing it.

Having said all that, barely one out of 40 modern PA strips cracks a smile for me.

Fuchsdh

VG Cats is a vile piece of shit.

But that's not the reason I am posting here. I wanted to defend Penny Arcade which seems to be getting a lot of flak here. I started reading PA when they started and for the first couple of years their work was magic.

But it's been over ten years now. More than that. I have changed (well, not really), but more important, PA has changed. They're grown men now with families and their focus is elsewhere. At least I can reflect on a time when their work was fun and I enjoyed it as much as they enjoyed doing it.

Having said all that, barely one out of 40 modern PA strips cracks a smile for me.

For me the majority of their stuff gets a chuckle from me, but I think that's largely because actual punchlines aside, they understand the mechanics of good comic writing a lot better than most (see the Last of Us example above)--thus even when their jokes are slack they can make up for a lot of it in the quick lands.

For me the biggest disappointments from them are their "serious" fare, which mostly seem to be puffed up and pretentious rather than giving any real statements on anything.

Toparaman

Banned
Brevity is the soul of wit.

t43pMRh.png

Plus they did it about a month earlier.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/06/19

The thing is, the PA one is only funny if you've played Last of Us. That's one of my biggest peeves with Penny Arcade; it's way too inside-jokey. Even if you're the kind of gamer that posts on GAF, you still won't get 50% of the humor. Most game comics have the same problem.

"trolls be trollin"

"i dropped your brother's wario and waluigi at the park acouple of months ago"

"i don't even love your mom" (mother laughs maniacally)

Come on. Sonichu is dead serious, this is trying too hard to be absurd to not be a parody of bad fan comics.

It's not trying to be serious or be a parody, from what I can tell. It's most likely a pre-teen trying earnestly to be funny. And what do pre-teen boys think is the height of comedic genius? Childrens' characters saying offensive things.

u8rTPHM.jpg

dd76fEA.jpg

If they're written by someone named Tom Preston, why do all the ones you posted say Andrew Dobson on them? Also yeah, awful. Still not anywhere near God Mode levels though.

Javier

If they're written by someone named Tom Preston, why do all the ones you posted say Andrew Dobson on them? Also yeah, awful. Still not anywhere near God Mode levels though.
Tom Preston is his "artistic" name. His real name is Andrew Dobson. It's the same guy.

He will randomly sign his works with either name.

Vamphuntr

Best goes to Awkward Zombie. She does a lot of self-deprecating strips and is genuinely funny:

comic331_zps0e179cf7.png

This is amazing. It actually gets worse as the series progresses. The whole Kurain village thing was pushing it but the Yokai stuff in AA5 brings this to an entirely different level. They actually use the 'Japanese immigrants village" excuse to pull it off since the setting and culture is absolutely impossible to pass off as American.

RetroMG

This is amazing. It actually gets worse as the series progresses. The whole Kurain village thing was pushing it but the Yokai stuff in AA5 brings this to an entirely different level. They actually use the 'Japanese immigrants village" excuse to pull it off since the setting and culture is absolutely impossible to pass off as American.

The funny thing is, I always assumed playing AA1-4 that it was SUPPOSED to be in Japan. I don't recall it ever saying it was in the USA. I did chuckle at Maya's love of Hamburgers, but what the heck, they have burgers in Japan. It wasn't until 5-2 went way out of it's way to explain the Tenma Taro village that I said, "Wait, is this supposed to be in the USA?"

Awkward Zombie's AA comics have been really good, so I feel like if the first one is going to be posted, this one needs to be in, too.

comic334_zps4ace2846.png

I especially love that the artist went out of her way to make up a scenario that would fit perfectly in an AA game, but didn't actually use one from AA so as to avoid spoilers. It's a nice touch.

The funny thing is, I always assumed playing AA1-4 that it was SUPPOSED to be in Japan. I don't recall it ever saying it was in the USA. I did chuckle at Maya's love of Hamburgers, but what the heck, they have burgers in Japan. It wasn't until 5-2 went way out of it's way to explain the Tenma Taro village that I said, "Wait, is this supposed to be in the USA?"

Yeah, same here. Maybe I missed something in the older games but I was always under the impression that they took place in Japan.

Fandangox

u8rTPHM.jpg

dd76fEA.jpg

This strip accurately presents how most of Preston's comics go:

big20060619.gif

TheYanger

Ok, I'd seen the ED article and his So You think shit before...but this Danny and Spot shit is a whole nother level of groan-worthy.

Like, is this real life?
JJpFjbj.jpg

aravuus

u8rTPHM.jpg

dd76fEA.jpg

Well to be honest, everything Tom Preston/Andrew Dobson is utter shit. I always liked the comics where the main character was a skinnier and hairier Tom himself. They were so goddamn bad.

Wow... where does all the VG Cats hate come from? Did I miss something? I understand if it's not up your alley from a comedy standpoint, but it's never groan worthy

Top Bottom