• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of all the bad videogame webcomics, which is the worst?

Another unintentionally funny one.

21a7dabe62.jpg

This strip accurately presents how most of Preston's comics go:

big20060619.gif

Yeah, note to anyone who makes webcomics. Regardless of your own biases, make fun of EVERYONE. No one should be safe, be it a company, a political party, a designer, or whatever. Everyone does stupid shit, call them on it. It's one of the reasons that Penny Arcade works, they tend to not pull punches with anyone.

On the political comics angle, that is why Bloom County is still the best politically minded comic of all time. No one was anywhere NEAR safe. It's also the reason that Sinfest, which used to be great, turned to shit over the years. Also, where did that strip come from?

Yeah, note to anyone who makes webcomics. Regardless of your own biases, make fun of EVERYONE. No one should be safe, be it a company, a political party, a designer, or whatever. Everyone does stupid shit, call them on it. It's one of the reasons that Penny Arcade works, they tend to not pull punches with anyone.

On the political comics angle, that is why Bloom County is still the best politically minded comic of all time. No one was anywhere NEAR safe. It's also the reason that Sinfest, which used to be great, turned to shit over the years. Also, where did that strip come from?

Remember that strip where the main characters had to smuggle the constitution through security cameras because of the police state they lived in? Its a good thing all of that went away when Obama got elected.

CorvoSol

Can somebody explain what was so bad about this CAD comic?
Was it offensive to people who had undergone such a tragedy? Why?

You've probably had several explanations already, but I'd like to add to the pile that there was a time in my life where I sort of liked CAD. Then the writer made his avatar defeat a straw-man army of all the world's religious leaders as he established his Church of Gaming.

It was horrid, blunt, and rude and shut me off from the comic forever after. Something similar happened with the Last Days of Foxhound, too, so I never finished that. Largely because I agreed with the author's position on that one, but he felt the need to insult me anyway, and his insult was as hilariously off-base as the position he was attacking, and I lost respect for the guy.

So a note to webcomic authors: while you should feel free to mock everyone while making your political comic or whatever, be wary of turning people off of your message by insulting them when they agree with you.

It's not trying to be serious or be a parody, from what I can tell. It's most likely a pre-teen trying earnestly to be funny. And what do pre-teen boys think is the height of comedic genius? Childrens' characters saying offensive things.

The thing is, he is trying to be serious. The guy is in his 20-something and he has asperger. He has a page in Encyclopedia Dramatica. (It seems the whole "kill the trolls" originated because he was being bullied by "trolls").

Mike recently decided that he wishes he was John Kricfalusi so most strips are ugly now.

That's when I stopped reading PA regularly. I used to look forward to their strips. I liked one so much I ordered a print and had it framed. But ever since he started emulating John K.'s style (especially the noses), I just dislike Mike's character designs. All the other art in the strips, particularly the Lookouts stuff, is really nice.

Tails Gets Trolled is an elaborate ruse. The creator is in it for the long-con. 10 years from now when he confesses he will have sure shown us.

Marjar

Banned
Tails Gets Trolled is an elaborate ruse. The creator is in it for the long-con. 10 years from now when he confesses he will have sure shown us.

On that day I will shake his hand for giving us the greatest literary masterpiece in history.

E: Oh geez, forgot about this one

He quickly changed the last panel.

Holy shit. What's even better is the post right below the edited version, trying to somehow spin it into showing how he's the better person:

I agonized the entire day about what to do with the script for today's comic. On the one hand, I felt the joke was funny, and ultimately harmless. But on the other hand, clearly any jab at a racial stereotype, no matter how playfully intended, is going to be a touchy topic for many people.

Allow me to first state that there was absolutely zero intention to offend anyone with today's comic. There was no ill-will, malicious agenda, or racism involved with arriving at the script for the comic. I am about as far from racist as a person can be.

On the other hand, I will admit that I often laugh at jokes about racial stereotypes when they're told for comedic, light-hearted purpose (as opposed to coming from a place of anger or ignorance). A lot of standup comedians make jokes about stereotype humor. I think that racism is a serious matter, but I also think that stereotype humor can be funny, in the same way I think that real world violence is a terrible thing, but I find humor in cartoon/comic violence.

I talked to a good number of people this afternoon while I was working on the comic, to get outside opinions and advice about whether or not I should proceed with the original script. I knew it was a big risk, to trust that it would be apparent that it was coming from a place of good-natured ribbing on a well-known stereotype, and not any place sinister.

In the end I wrote three different versions of the comic and prepared them. I decided to launch with the original script, stay up late and monitor how it was received, and have the backup on hand in case it didn't go over well.

I'm not out to offend anyone. My goal is to make people laugh. Not everyone has the same sense of humor. Some people are offended more easily than others. In hindsight, it may have been irresponsible of me to try and walk the admittedly very fine line that is racial stereotype humor in a medium where I have such a broad and varied audience that I cannot immediately see/guage.

I tried something different, and I'll be the first to admit that it didn't work for me. Rather than keep the comic up and offend people, I decided to swap it out for one of the alternate scripts. Again, if you were offended by the original script, please accept my sincerest apologies. I certainly meant to no harm by it. Ideally we'd live in a world where we could all laugh together and tease and poke fun and nobody's feelings would get hurt. But until that day, I promise that if I'm on the fence about a potentially abrasive joke, I'll err on the side of caution.

I also loved the "if you were offended", which is the closest thing resembling an apology in the entire eight paragraphs, and yet is a textbook example of a non-apology apology.

Also, holy WTF at the other stuff about him. Guy's a real piece of human being, it seems.

Ellie's facial expression in the other one makes it better tho

Exactly what I was going to post, Awkward Zombie's expressions are so fun. Single panels are often more fun than most other webcomics' punchlines.

The thing is, the PA one is only funny if you've played Last of Us. That's one of my biggest peeves with Penny Arcade; it's way too inside-jokey. Even if you're the kind of gamer that posts on GAF, you still won't get 50% of the humor. Most game comics have the same problem.

That's true, particularly when they're riffing on some news piece that's one or two days old. It comes to the point that I always read their posts first. Awkward Zombie almost universally can be read standalone, and in any case she always includes a short explanation below the comic itself; it makes it much more organic and comfortable to read.

Remember that strip where the main characters had to smuggle the constitution through security cameras because of the police state they lived in? Its a good thing all of that went away when Obama got elected.

Not really no, I stopped reading in 2008 when his politics became so very blatant that it wasn't even close to fun anymore. Looking into it, it seems Ishida has pissed off the bulk of his fanbase by going hardcore second wave feminist. Not at all what I would have expected, but looking at some of the newer comics, I'm glad I stopped reading when I did.

Oh my god the Tails Gets Trolled videos are already hilarious and then they get a hundred times better when they start using music and Saturday morning cartoon bumps.

Astarte

Looking for a constructive reply here, but I've got two questions about CAD and Buckley:

1) Why is CAD so popular and successful if it apparently sucks so bad? I used to love it and still think it's ok (and better since dropping main characters and plots) but when I first heard rabid criticism of the strip, rather than defending it, I actually had my eyes opened to many of the problems with it. So I can see why there is some dislike but I really do think it became 'the cool thing' to hate CAD. There are plenty of valid criticisms and accusations to be made but I don't think people would give it credit where credit is due if there was a good gag or funny strip, so I struggle to take a lot of the rabid hatred seriously. If CAD is an internet comic and the internet hates it then who is reading it and keeping it going? Buckley is obviously doing well out of it so the audience must be there.

2) Has anyone actually got any proof of the 'terrible' things Buckley has done, like cock photos and spending charity money? I'm not doubting anything but I'd like some evidence before despising him, and whenever I've asked for evidence in threads like this in the past nothing has materialised. Again, these accusations could be very true, but without proof they could just be rumours spread by haters of his strip.

The one thing I did see evidence of was him acting like a prick on the CAD forums, aggressively shouting down criticism and feedback, unfairly banning members, etc.

1. Popular =/= Good. Pandering to the lowest denominator will always be popular as hell, yo. "MAN THIS GUY KNOWS HIS BUTT JOKES GUD"

2. Yes, there is proof. Out of the $3500 he raised for his charity, he donated $150 and the rest all disappeared to....? Soon afterwards he emerges with a huge expensive as shit tablet that totals ~$3000. You can google Tim Buckley charity and whatever to find images of his dick and plagarism.

It's too easy to say CAD, so I'll give a dishonorable mention to Danny and Spot by Tom Preston.

The adventures of a Hardcore PS360 gamer and a Nintendo Fanboy. Guess who's supposed to be whom.]

Tom Preston seems permanently pumped full of hot air, dude makes the most one sided comic arguments out there.

He draws inflation fetish art and calls others out on being perverts

jaxword

You've probably had several explanations already, but I'd like to add to the pile that there was a time in my life where I sort of liked CAD. Then the writer made his avatar defeat a straw-man army of all the world's religious leaders as he established his Church of Gaming.

It was horrid, blunt, and rude and shut me off from the comic forever after.

Here's some irony for you: the author is Catholic. He just thought he was being cool and edgy and trying to fit in with what he perceived his gamer fans to be.

Well to be honest, everything Tom Preston/Andrew Dobson is utter shit. I always liked the comics where the main character was a skinnier and hairier Tom himself. They were so goddamn bad.

There's no point in hating Tom Preston/Andrew Dobson. He lives a miserable, joyless life. He's hated so much that some goon from the S-Awf forums threw a drink at him at a convention.

When other sad sacks go out of their way to attack other sad sacks in real life, it's time to realize there's no winners.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
lol why does he have a 360 controller in 2002

Not to nitpick some terrible comic but it must be some crappy third party controller. Used to own a wireless white one but I doubt it was from 2002.

You know what forget it. Too ridiculous of a comic anyways. I mean a 3DO in 1992 one year before it was even released?

3docont.jpg

Actually if his goal was to get people to do this... well then mission accomplished. If that's not the case and he really doesn't know the dates of certain things then I have no words.

Don't remind me. I fucking bought the DVDs of season 1and paid for CAD Premium. Worst money I've ever spent on game-related shit, and I've bought multiple copies of Sonic 06, Bomberman Act Zero, and Mad Catz controllers for 5th gen systems. Perhaps I am being unfair to it because I wasted on it, but has it actually gotten better? Haven't read anything in like 2 months.

Holy shit you are the devil.

TheYanger

Not to nitpick some terrible comic but it must be some crappy third party controller. Used to own a wireless white one but I doubt it was from 2002.

You know what forget it. Too ridiculous of a comic anyways. I mean a 3DO in 1992 one year before it was even released?

3docont.jpg

Actually if his goal was to get people to do this... well then mission accomplished. If that's not the case and he really doesn't know the dates of certain things then I have no words.

Except the 1992 is clearly a genesis controller, and the 2002 is definitely a 360 controller! It has the green X, and you say it may be third party, fair enough, but it lacks black and white buttons and has bumpers, which the original Xbox did not. Now we know the truth: The 360 controller design was actually ripped wholesale from some third party Xbox controller that moved Black/White onto R1/L1 and used white plastic. Mind = blown.

Hasney

Except the 1992 is clearly a genesis controller, and the 2002 is definitely a 360 controller! It has the green X, and you say it may be third party, fair enough, but it lacks black and white buttons and has bumpers, which the original Xbox did not. Now we know the truth: The 360 controller design was actually ripped wholesale from some third party Xbox controller that moved Black/White onto R1/L1 and used white plastic. Mind = blown.

Yeah, there's a Kotaku article about how horrible the black and white buttons were and that a $25 third party pad was better for actually having bumpers. Never knew that existed.

EDIT: Think I found it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/380532344287

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Except the 1992 is clearly a genesis controller.

My 3 button Genesis controller never had 2 start buttons or 2 shoulder buttons for that matter. Even most 6 button versions of it only had just 1 of each. Either way if it's not a 3DO one I'll throw it under the third party category as well.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
That has the black/white buttons still though, looks like standard controller S.

This controller debate is vastly better than the comic, telling.

It certainly doesn't help how badly drawn they are in the comic.

aravuus

There's no point in hating Tom Preston/Andrew Dobson. He lives a miserable, joyless life. He's hated so much that some goon from the S-Awf forums threw a drink at him at a convention.

When other sad sacks go out of their way to attack other sad sacks in real life, it's time to realize there's no winners.

Hey, just stating my opinion of him or rather, his comics. I'm not sure why you are even saying this here, I'm not attacking him personally or anything.

LegendX48

It's too easy to say CAD, so I'll give a dishonorable mention to Danny and Spot by Tom Preston.

The adventures of a Hardcore PS360 gamer and a Nintendo Fanboy. Guess who's supposed to be whom.

u8rTPHM.jpg

dd76fEA.jpg

I remember seeing some of these posted by him on the GameTrailers forums and, in all fairness, they accurately represented the community :|

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I remember seeing some of these posted by him on the GameTrailers forums and, in all fairness, they accurately represented the community :|

They still do. Some things never change.

Davey Cakes

That Danny and Spot comic is...true. At least to some extent.

Is that why people don't like it?

The Wii-related ones are spot on.

Another unintentionally funny one.

21a7dabe62.jpg

A small point, but aren't the graphics of the Wii roughly comparable with those of the Xbox, rendering his point on diminishing returns rather silly for the comparison between those 2 frames/dates/consoles? Should have used a PS3 controller, or a 360 controller and made the 2002 representation of the Xbox controller more accurate

edit: Wait, is the point of the comic supposed to be diminishing returns of graphical improvement as gamers age, or the underwhelming graphics of the Wii?

Davey Cakes

I'm not saying it's funny, just that it's at least somewhat true. Saying this as a Wii owner and gaming forum-goer. The comic is representing a kind of behavior that exists.

Maybe what the comic is saying doesn't actually need to be said though. Plus it's more of an "I get it" situation than a "I find this funny" situation, if you get my meaning.

L Thammy

A small point, but aren't the graphics of the Wii roughly comparable with those of the Xbox, rendering his point on diminishing returns rather silly for the comparison between those 2 frames/dates/consoles? Should have used a PS3 controller, or a 360 controller and made the 2002 representation of the Xbox controller more accurate

edit: Wait, is the point of the comic supposed to be diminishing returns of graphical improvement as gamers age, or the underwhelming graphics of the Wii?

Based on the other comics, the point is probably "gamers purposely ignore Nintendo".

Peaky

Neo Member
Used to enjoy vg catz until he stopped updating regularly and when they finally did come out, the strip was based on a joke I read on /v/ weeks ago (which was probably lifted from somewhere else)

I liked his art style and there were some really funny strips (every so often) so I wouldn't say it's the worst.

CADs never been funny or interesting so I haven't an idea why people still read it. The characters and story don't seem at all interesting so I'm not sure of the point. Comedy doesn't seem to be a priority and nothing seems to happen so... Why???

That Danny and Spot comic is...true. At least to some extent.

Is that why people don't like it?

The Wii-related ones are spot on.
It's true in the same sense that a comic making fun of Nintendo for eschewing to a younger demographic or having weak hardware would be true. It's low hanging fruit, normally constructed out of a crude strawman (something Dobson fucking loves to use in his comics, rather than directly argue his point) and just has this all-around unpleasant smugness to the whole thing only someone desperate for vindication about their favorite company would enjoy. I'd feel the exact same way if he were a Sony/Microsoft/Valve/SEGA/whatever fanboy.

Top Bottom