• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overview of Nintendo's FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release/Briefing on Oct. 26/27

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Q&A Transcript (in Japanese): https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/161028.pdf
Presentation by the President: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/161027_2e.pdf

Earnings results: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/161026e.pdf
Supplementary Information about Earnings Release: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/161026_2e.pdf

Consolidated Operating Results

During the six months ended September 30, 2016, we saw strong trends for the global release of Kirby: Planet Robobot. On the
hardware side, Nintendo 2DS saw sales growth. The release of the smart device application Pokémon GO led to increased sales of
software in the Pokémon series released in the past and drove the Nintendo 3DS family hardware sales growth, particularly outside
of Japan. The sales volume for hardware this period was 2.71 million units (19% increase on a year- on-year basis) , while software
held steady with the previous year at 19.23 million units sold.

For the Wii U console, we have decided to ship 0.8 million units this fiscal year, based on our forecasts of comprehensive demand
for Nintendo hardware. Activity has conformed to our expectations from the start of the fiscal year, with hardware sales volume of
0.56 million units (53% decrease on a year-on-year basis). There were no hit titles this period to compare with Splatoon and Super
Mario Maker last year, so the software sales were 8.3 million units (33% decrease on a year-on-year basis).
As there were few new software titles offering amiibo functionality, amiibo sales were reduced to 3.8 million units for figure-type
and 1.7 million units for card-type. In addition, there were relatively fewer offerings of downloadable content during this period, so
download sales were down on the same period last year.

Along with this background, we felt the impacts of a strengthening yen, resulting in an operating loss of 5.9 billion yen against net
sales of 136.8 billion yen (of which overseas sales were 97.3 billion yen or 71.1% of the total sales). We have also included 12.0
billion yen of share of profit of entities accounted for using the equity method related to The Pokémon Company and other
companies, but we incurred foreign exchange losses totaling 39.9 billion yen, resulting in an ordinary loss of 30.8 billion yen.
However, due to the sale of part of our ownership in the company that manages the Seattle Mariners Major League Baseball team,
we recorded gain on sales of investment securities totaling 62.7 billion yen as extraordinary income, meaning that profit attributable
to owners of parent was 38.2 billion yen.
Update: A Corporate Management Policy Briefing has been reported to not happen. A Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing is likely to happen however, but has not yet been confirmed.

n_overviewolstd.png

What: Nintendo's Second Quarter Earnings Release/Briefing
When: October 26 & 27
Where: Osaka & Tokyo (tentative)
How: News conference + Investor presentation. No live streams, so news will most likely emerge through Twitter first.
Why: Good chance of some Switch news, plus info on holiday 2016 strategy.
Who: In focus will Tatsumi Kimishima, Shigeru Miyamoto and Genyo Takeda most likely will be. But I would expect several of the new executives to be present as well.

At time of writing, we are roughly three weeks away from Nintendo's FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release/Briefing. I'd like to give you an overview of these events and what to be expected.

To begin with, the FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release is scheduled for October 26 following the closing auction of the market (TSE/JPX) at 03:15 PM JST. This corresponds to Pacific Daylight Time:

t1477462500z4.png

The earnings release may see a news conference which in the past have taken place at the Osaka Stock Exchange. Below is an image from the news conference connected to Nintendo's FY 2015 Third Quarter Earnings Release on February 02, 2016:

newsconference-osegbk0x.png

Tatsumi Kimishima, president of Nintendo Co., right, listens to a question during a news conference at the Osaka Stock Exchange in Osaka, Japan, on Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2016. Nintendo Co. reported a 36 percent fall in third-quarter profit after a lack of hit game titles hurt holiday sales of its Wii U and 3DS hardware and the absence of currency windfalls that boosted the year earlier. Photographer: Buddhika Weerasinghe/Bloomberg via Getty Images *** Local caption *** Tatsumi Kimishima

These news conferences are open to members of the media, while the results briefings generally are not. It was in a news conference on April 27, 2016, connected to Nintendo's 2015 Fiscal Year Earnings Release that NX was announced for release in 2017.

The Second Quarter Earnings Release will most likely include:

• Consolidated Results for the Six Months Ended September 2015 and 2016
  • Dividends
  • Consolidated Financial Forecast for the Fiscal Year Ending March 31, 20167
  • Consolidated Operating Results
  • Consolidated Financial Forecast
  • Financial sheets
The Supplementary Information about Earnings Release will most likely include:

• Semi-Annual Consolidated Statements of Income Transition
  • Quarterly Consolidated Statements of Income Transition
  • Foreign Currency Transaction Information
  • Million-Seller Titles of NINTENDO Products
  • Launch Dates of Primary NINTENDO Products by Region (Apr. 2016~Sept. 2016)
  • Launch Schedule of Primary NINTENDO Products by Region (extracts: Oct. 2016~)
  • Upcoming Third Party Software Titles (extracts: Oct. 2016~)
Morever, Nintendo's FY 2016 Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing is tentatively scheduled for October 27, 09:00 - 10:00 AM JST (the briefings are usually held around that time). October 27, 10:00 AM JST corresponds to Pacific Daylight Time:

t1477530000z4.png

A financial results briefing will almost certainly happen, though a Corporate Management Policy Briefing is not guaranteed. Historically, CMPBs have happened in either October or January. Below is a list of what month these briefings have happened in the past:

2015: October
2014: October & January
2013: January
2012: January
2011: None
2010: October
2009: October

cmpbidsof.png

Tatsumi Kimishima, president of Nintendo Co., speaks during a news conference in Tokyo, Japan, on Thursday, Oct. 29, 2015. Nintendo fell the most in almost two years after the company said its new smartphone game application won't be released until March, at least three months later than originally promised. Photographer: Yuriko Nakao/Bloomberg via Getty Images

The most recent Corporate Management Policy Briefings have been held in the Fuji Room of Imperial Hotel Tokyo.

In my opinion, an October Corporate Management Policy Briefing would make sense. January and February 2017 will most likely be heavily focused on NX in terms of marketing and whatnot and Nintendo probably would want to devote its FY 2016 Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing to the new machine.

A Corporate Management Policy Briefing will most likely include:

Presentation by the President

• Situation Regarding Sales and Future Prospects (Sales for 3DS and Wii U)
  • Future lineup (3DS and Wii U)
  • amiibo
  • Digital Business Progress
  • Business Strategy
  • Future Products and Services (Switch, QOL, mobile etc.)
  • Q & A
Just a Financial Results Briefing could include the above items, but perhaps to a lesser extent.

I decided to post this thread considering the upcoming earnings release and briefing are quite significant (in my opinion anyway). It is the remaining investor presentation of calendar year 2016, in which Nintendo has said they will introduce the NX. Also, Wii U is an end end-of-life product at this point, in Europe allegedly even an end-of-sale product (as of October 1, 2016). These points ought to be addressed. Also, the impact of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition and Mini Family Computer on holiday sales/third quarter would be interesting to get some information on. All in all, there are many topics for Nintendo to talk about come October 26/27, and I think it is something to look forward to.

To note is of course that the tone of the upcoming briefing will rely much on if NX will be revealed prior to the meeting. Anyway, I hope this overview can be of some amusement/help.

For in-depth information on past financial briefings of Nintendo and/or other IR topics, be sure to visit https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/index.html.

Some guidelines for this thread

• Share your thoughts on what the upcoming briefing may include
  • Feel free to post extra information on times/venues of the briefing(s)
  • Discuss Switch in relation to the upcoming earnings release/briefing, do not treat this thread as a repository for general Switch talk
  • Refrain from posting rumors (especially those originating from Twitter)
  • Refrain from posting memes/The Simpsons strips

Neoxon

I'd at least hope that the NX would be revealed by the time this investors' briefing rolls by.

Still, great OP as usual.

Anth0ny

"We will not be discussing NX today. Please look forward to the reveal which will take place at a later date."

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm looking forward to what they'll say about Q2 in general.

I also hope that regarding NX (whether it's officially revealed by the briefing or not) they give some explanation on how they will attempt to market the system or something.

deleted

I'd at least hope that the NX would be revealed by the time this investors' briefing rolls by.

Still, great OP as usual.

Nintendo would have to announce something regarding NX earlier, either the console or a delay. Possibly both. Otherwise they would face some serious opposition at the meeting.

Oregano

"We will not be discussing NX today. Please look forward to the reveal which will take place at a later date."

That is depressingly exactly what I expect from this.

I also expect a lot of time spent on mobile and maybe they'll outline Miitopia if its not revealed between now and then.

Noi_

Banned
I honestly don't get how literally anyone can think they're going to go in there without the NX. It's either going to be announced before the meeting or during. Because saying "hey guys, uh, yeah we sold like 3 titles since the last time we met, that's all" wouldn't be the best thing ever.

That's really, really really dumb.

Say what you want about a delay but there's no evidence for it other than "well they haven't talked about it which obviously means it's delayed. and "well they delayed botw" which are both equally dumb considering that most evidence is pointing to a March release(production is literally starting THIS year.

Zalman

I bet a good chunk of the briefing will be about Pokémon Go and how it raised awareness of the franchise as well as sales of the main series games. They will use this as an argument for why their mobile plans will succeed.

spekkeh

Banned
I honestly don't get how literally anyone can think they're going to go in there without the NX. It's either going to be announced before the meeting or during. Because saying "hey guys, uh, yeah we sold like 3 titles since the last time we met, that's all"

Did the shareholders ever actually do anything? As far as I remember there was some slight hubbub around the succession of Yamauchi, but that's the only time it wasn't just okay we please understand. Kimishima has only been at the helm for a year and can pretty much only continue on with Iwata's work.

Good OP as always. Their financial forecast for the end of FY16 will undoubtedly be discussed in this meeting, so there will for sure be some discussion of how NX will or will not impact that.

I believe they've stated in the past that NX releasing March 2017 will make it so that the NX does not impact FY16 earnings all that much, but I would imagine that they will discuss why exactly that is, potentially what part of the month, and hopefully initial estimations and launch forecasts.

That'll be the very least we can expect for NX info by October 27th I would say. I expect at least a partial reveal before then but I'm basing that on pretty much nothing.

I bet a good chunk of the briefing will be about Pokémon Go and how it raised awareness of the franchise as well as sales of the main series games. They will use this as an argument for why their mobile plans will succeed.

Totally agree. I'm sure they will also talk about Pokemon go Plus and how well its doing.

Anth0ny

I honestly don't get how literally anyone can think they're going to go in there without the NX. It's either going to be announced before the meeting or during. Because saying "hey guys, uh, yeah we sold like 3 titles since the last time we met, that's all" wouldn't be the best thing ever.

Say what you want about a delay but there's no evidence for it other than "well they haven't talked about it which obviously means it's delayed. and "well they delayed botw" which are both equally dumb considering that most evidence is pointing to a March release(production is literally starting THIS year.

"We did Pokemon Go.

Now we have a new Pokemon game coming next month.

Also Mario and other games on iPhone."

shareholders are happy.

Noi_

Banned
Did the shareholders ever actually do anything? As far as I remember there was some slight hubbub around the succession of Yamauchi, but that's the only time it wasn't just okay we please understand. Kimishima has only been at the helm for a year and can pretty much only continue on with Iwata's work.

Sorry, I don't understand. They do Q&A... honestly without a console to keep investors in check they're gonna start pushing for mobile even harder. Of course Nintendo wont budge, but they'll lose some investors.

"We did Pokemon Go.

Now we have a new Pokemon game coming next month.

Also Mario and other games on iPhone."

shareholders are happy.

They didn't do Pokemon Go tho, that was Pokemon/Niantic. If Nintendo is getting anything it's probably very little. I mean really all they have is mario mobile. It's just dumb to not have the nx

sense

The Nx launch delay to holiday 2017 is what I am expecting. Let's hope I am wrong for everyone's sake.

I imagine that if it isn't officially revealed by then investors will demand more info on the NX. That being so close to launch I don't think they will feel comfortable still being totally in the dark on what the device is.

Then again, this is Nintendo.

AniHawk

The Nx launch delay to holiday 2017 is what I am expecting. Let's hope I am wrong for everyone's sake.

only thing giving me pause to march is that '2017' was the answer to botw's release date when asked at the booth at e3.

nintendo's released handhelds outside of the holiday season though - the gb, gba, and the 3ds are examples of that. i don't think it's outside the realm of possibility they do it again.

18-Volt

I don't expect NX reveal at least until December, so this briefing will be all about Pokémon, NES Mini and Mario Runs. If we're lucky, we'll get SNES or GameBoy Mini announcement too.

If that will be the case, then they need to keep fans busy for whole year. And they can't do that by making more filler games, they would need every able developer on board of NX. Maybe some dumbed down ports like Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World? Nah, there isn't any game left that can be donwported.

Oregano

I imagine that if it isn't officially revealed by then investors will demand more info on the NX. That being so close to launch I don't think they will feel comfortable still being totally in the dark on what the device is.

Then again, this is Nintendo.

I think we'll get more questions on mobile/Super Mario Run than NX.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I would be completely shocked if there was no NX talk prior to the investors meeting.

Same. They told investors at the last meeting that they'd talk about NX later this year. I can't imagine they won't do a reveal before this meeting so investors no what it is and they can spend the meeting on the usual stuff about project revenues rest of this year and for NX launch etc.

I just can't see it getting delayed as that would mean either 1) Delaying Zelda again which would be a huge shit show after dedicating their entire E3 to it; 2) Having Zelda on Wii months before the NX version is available, which will cannibalize sales as many like me would just play the Wii U Version and probably not pick up an NX at launch unless there's some other huge surprise like Metroid Prime 4 or something.

I don't care enough about stuff like a possible 3D Mario, Pikmin 4 etc. to buy day one if I've already played Zelda on Wii U. An enhanced version of BotW, and being able to play it on the go assuming the NX is a hybrid, is the main appeal to me.

Anth0ny

I would be completely shocked if there was no NX talk prior to the investors meeting.

As would I. I don't know what it is about NeoGAF but pessimism seems to get in the way of logical thinking.

I bet you were both on the "They'll say something before E3 about NX!" hype train.

Logical thinking said: "They won't say anything until E3!"

Then Nintendo said: "Fuck all of you, WE AIN'T SAYING SHIT AT E3."

pessimism is the way to go when we're talking about Nintendo.

As would I. I don't know what it is about NeoGAF but pessimism seems to get in the way of logical thinking.

Logical thinking isn't exactly Nintendo's M.O. - this is the same company that launched the Wii U. We've practically been trained to expect the worst at this point.

Noi_

Banned
I bet you were both on the "They'll say something before E3 about NX!" hype train.

Logical thinking said: "They won't say anything until E3!"

Then Nintendo said: "Fuck all of you, WE AIN'T SAYING SHIT AT E3."

pessimism is the way to go when we're talking about Nintendo.

Actually no. I hoped for E3 before it was disconfirmed and that's it. After that I knew it would be September/October(leaning towards October)

You all live very, very, very sad lives if you believe for even 1 second that pessimism it the way to go when it comes to things like this.

only thing giving me pause to march is that '2017' was the answer to botw's release date when asked at the booth at e3.

nintendo's released handhelds outside of the holiday season though - the gb, gba, and the 3ds are examples of that. i don't think it's outside the realm of possibility they do it again.

I think it could just be they don't want to confirm any launch titles right now. They could easily say it's a launch title without giving a date, yet they don't.

Because I've been thinking they can't go in to a month without NX and it being announced since at least E3*, and have been thinking it would be dumb to go another month without it being announced. At this point, I don't even know what they could be planning or when it'll be announced.

*Rather, the date that they announced NX wouldn't be at E3.

MuchoMalo

Banned
We're going to get an NX reveal before this meeting even happens. You guys need to stop being so pessimistic. NX obviously isn't going to be revealed in November or December and since they promised a reveal this year what Anthony said wouldn't work. At worst, they'll out right say that the reveal and/or release has been delayed.

Actually no. I hoped for E3 before it was disconfirmed and that's it. After that I knew it would be September/October(leaning towards October)

You all live very, very, very sad lives if you believe for even 1 second that pessimism it the way to go when it comes to things like this.

I stayed an optimist as long as I could....but you can only be burned so many times before that optimism seems unrealistic and pessimism takes over

Noi_

Banned
We're going to get an NX reveal before this meeting even happens. You guys need to stop being so pessimistic. NX obviously isn't going to be revealed in November or December and since they promised a reveal this year what Anthony said wouldn't work. At worst, they'll out right say that the reveal and/or release has been delayed.

can I paypal you like $20 for being one of the first actually smart posts here?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
22 day countdown to a motherfuckin' earnings release.

tumblr_mhi8vl7Ed21rnw80to8_1280.gif

This, unfortunately.

I don't think Nintendo will unveil the NX until its Xmas sales have been secured. I don't think we should expect it at any time before Black Friday. Early december is my bet.

bman94

Anyone setting themselves up for a huge blowout of NX information from this meeting is setting themselves up for disappointment.

And which part of November or December isn't "this year", exactly? The year flips over the first of January, in case you forgot.

Noi_

Banned
And which part of November or December isn't "this year", exactly? The year flips over the first of January, in case you forgot.

Do you not understand that late October where the hardcore holiday season starts? You know, where it's busy? And there's lots of products releasing? And you know, where there's a lot of holidays where people are with their... shocking, I know families.

Nintendo would simply be crazy to unveil this thing just before the Xmas shopping season. No way this is happening.

Dude, that's not how any of this works. People buy actual things on Christmas, not pre-order receipts, NO ONE is going to buy a piece of paper for their little kids on christmas, it's very dumb to think so.

Top Bottom