• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overview of Nintendo's FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release/Briefing on Oct. 26/27

Easier said than done, I know, but I would just try to expect nothing until the 26th. At least that's a known event where Nintendo will have to say something about NX.

Malus

I think they'll just save that for a bigger blow out after the holidays. No point in revealing any big surprise titles since the console and games aren't out until March and they'd just get forgotten about over the holiday game rush anyway.

If they show more than Zelda NX it would probably just be already known about things like Pikmin 4, or a new Animal Crossing rather than showing something like a new Mario or Metroid or whatever Retro has been working on. They need to save that stuff to ramp up the hype again after the holidays.

I think it'd be good to have a lot of positive buzz and excitement around the system when they first announce it, and showing a nice library of games can do that. If rumors about the NX having a super strong first party library are true, they can hopefully still save some surprises for the stretch run.

I think it has to be soon , either during or just before the meeting some things to take into account:-

Superbowl adverts

Pre order

Marketing and general publicity ahead of March release including launch line up, nx concept putting over to potential day one buyers.

Games by 3rd party and rest of 1st party in year one.

It will impact greatly. The Wii and DS was why a lot of investors got in. They were told last time March would be a release date, and still no word on it's existence.

There will be questions about it for sure (if they haven't revealed it yet) but I really doubt there will be a big stock drop or big issue if they don't give many details. The majority of their stock movement over the past couple years has been due to mobile announcements/results.

maxcriden

Really? I thought they covered it all in the last direct. I guess we will see.

Ah, I'm not an AC fan so figured there was a lot more to it. And zoned out during that part of the ND, sorry. I might be totally wrong then, but at the least I don't think it was confirmed that the AC Direct is about the mobile game.

Oregano

Ah, I'm not an AC fan so figured there was a lot more to it. And zoned out during that part of the ND, sorry. I might be totally wrong then, but at the least I don't think it was confirmed that the AC Direct is about the mobile game.

Oh no, I did exactly the same!

TheMoon

The AC Direct is about the amiibo update for New Leaf first and foremost.

Also, how are you of all people not into AC. :D

Whatever Nintendo has is being held close to the vest because it'll be easy to copy. Investing in Nintendo is high risk, but it just might pay off.

maxcriden

Oh no, I did exactly the same!

Ohh, gotcha, lol. I don't feel as bad about it then, haha. Thank you.

The AC Direct is about the amiibo update for New Leaf first and foremost.

Also, how are you of all people not into AC. :D

Gotcha, thanks.

I used to love Harvest Moon and AC didn't appeal to me. Then real life came calling and I didn't want any part of sim games. XD

There will be questions about it for sure (if they haven't revealed it yet) but I really doubt there will be a big stock drop or big issue if they don't give many details. The majority of their stock movement over the past couple years has been due to mobile announcements/results.

For better or worse, even if it's delayed into next FY, I expect their mobile efforts will mitigate much of the damage.

AdanVC

Such a depressive thread but that's what it is with Nintendo and how they are doing right now. There's simply nothing exciting to look forward with this company on the short term. It sucks really bad. Sure there's a few games coming and that nostalgia cash-grab that it is the NES Mini but other than that... Looking forward to the "We will not discuss the NX, today" quote on that meeting thing.

Sigh

tarheel91

Yeah, you're going to see big spikes with major announcements like that, but that's because Nintendo's overall viability and profit potential has been relatively static outside of those announcements since the Wii U release. They've had a relatively unsuccessful system with a reasonable amount of first party support (and good software attach rates) ever since launch. There's always been a slow but steady stream of first party games to stem the bleeding and minimize the losses associated with the Wii U and help grow the 3DS. This plan has been outlined in shareholder meetings and that's the "status quo" that we've come to expect.

However, if they don't have news about a new console by the shareholder meeting, that's not going to be true any longer. They have practically no software after holiday '16. They have no clear revenue stream.

gafneo

Banned

There isn't a permanent flow of steady income determined by mobile just yet. It's still early and up in the air. Mini app games fad out. There's only a possibility for them to strike it rich if they outsell a game like Candy Crush. Mario Run will not win the moms that spend day and night on their phones. Pokemon Go will die down during colder climate changes. The only other announced games are Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem. I doubt those will shake the bank to extremes.

As much as I'd like to hope Nintendo will mention the NX here to appease investors, you know damn well they can get away with a few more months of secrecy by mentioning the word "mobile" to satiate their interests.

I bet you were both on the "They'll say something before E3 about NX!" hype train.

Logical thinking said: "They won't say anything until E3!"

Then Nintendo said: "Fuck all of you, WE AIN'T SAYING SHIT AT E3."

pessimism is the way to go when we're talking about Nintendo.

Ugh everybody assumed NX would be talked about at E3 prior to Kimishima saying it wouldn't. I don't see the problem.

No, I'm not being pessimistic. That's not how I live my life. If they don't announce it prior to the investors meeting, then that's no sweat off my back.

Same. They told investors at the last meeting that they'd talk about NX later this year. I can't imagine they won't do a reveal before this meeting so investors no what it is and they can spend the meeting on the usual stuff about project revenues rest of this year and for NX launch etc.

I just can't see it getting delayed as that would mean either 1) Delaying Zelda again which would be a huge shit show after dedicating their entire E3 to it; 2) Having Zelda on Wii months before the NX version is available, which will cannibalize sales as many like me would just play the Wii U Version and probably not pick up an NX at launch unless there's some other huge surprise like Metroid Prime 4 or something.

I don't care enough about stuff like a possible 3D Mario, Pikmin 4 etc. to buy day one if I've already played Zelda on Wii U. An enhanced version of BotW, and being able to play it on the go assuming the NX is a hybrid, is the main appeal to me.

I can't see them not revealing it so they can do a good talk with investors of how good NX will be for their future. They need BotW to launch with NX and release atleast the same time as the Wii U version or earlier.

As would I. I don't know what it is about NeoGAF but pessimism seems to get in the way of logical thinking.
I don't get the pessimism either. Just a week or so ago most where saying we would get NX news before the investors meeting and all of a sudden that's changed -for what reason I don't know.

So far, this thread has had some of the more reasonable explanations of why they'd be surprised if the NX didn't have at least something put out to the public ahead of the investors meeting.

Lucifon

Can you imagine how bad the meltdowns will be if there is still no NX reveal by the time of this briefing?

Although, after how the last Nintendo earnings briefing went down, I don't believe that Nintendo will have any choice but to talk NX. They have to show the new device off by then and start confirming games that will be available during the launch window. As part of their responsibility to the share holders they need to prove that they have a viable financial plan for the fiscal year, which is something they didn't really have at the last briefing. "Trust us, the project code named NX exists and we will show it at a later date" won't work this time.

Nintendo has made some bold money making moves into mobile gaming, and I imagine the Amiibo market is still making them some decent bank, but the Wii U is limping to its death and the 3DS is in serious need of a replacement device. The time to unveil the NX as the future of Nintendo needs to be no later than this briefing later this month.

Surely the only reason for an announcement delay is software not being ready to show off and/or doubts about the release window.

GamerJM

Banned
I bet you were both on the "They'll say something before E3 about NX!" hype train.

Logical thinking said: "They won't say anything until E3!"

Then Nintendo said: "Fuck all of you, WE AIN'T SAYING SHIT AT E3."

pessimism is the way to go when we're talking about Nintendo.

They have to announce it at some point. I know just being pessimistic like this seems logical with how long this has taken but going by this logic they'll never announce it.

Seriously. GAF is crazy.

Just play some videogames. I'm working through Okami and MGS2 while replaying RE5, RE6, and BioShock Infinite. Also about to start Ico and SotC.

If you have a gaming itch, scratch it!

I have a decent sized backlog and new releases I want but I'm too anxious to play games because of university whereas I can come on GAF in between assignments anxiety-free

Banned
Or if not this event, then certainly some event, some day, according to my Twitter insider sources @NoNXNoPeace14 and @MushroomKingdomGuy

Another jab at me for no reason?

I meant a worst case scenario would be a reveal date announced at this event assuming there isn't a reveal before the meeting.

If not I'm hitting the panic button.

"We are excited to officially announce our new console, which has been codenamed the NX up until now. I present to you, the Wii U Slim!"

"We are excited to officially announce our new console, which has been codenamed the NX up until now. I present to you, the Wii U Slim!"
We are merging home consoles and handhelds into one entity. Our goal is to eliminate brand confusion. We are proud to announce our new system will be named "NEW Wii U DSi lite XL"

Oregano

We are merging home consoles and handhelds into one entity. Our goal is to eliminate brand confusion. We are proud to announce our new system will be named "NEW Wii U DSi lite XL"

FFS don't be ridiculous!

The investor meeting is in Japan so it'd be LL not XL

Packy

Surely the only reason for an announcement delay is software not being ready to show off and/or doubts about the release window.

That is the only reasonable explanation for a delay, but then again that would not bode well for shareholder confidence. Nintendo has had plenty of time to work on their marketing presentation for whatever the NX actually is, as well as the preliminary software that will launch with it. If the NX is truly not ready for a Spring launch, or for that matter not ready to even be shown at all on or before the briefing, then Nintendo is going to have a potentially sizable issue for fiscal year 2017.

ryohumar

I expect Nintendo will go into earnings and revised projections. If they do talk about the NX, it'll probably be to announce a delay. At this point I don't think a March launch is in the cards, but I'd be really happy to be wrong.

tarheel91

I expect Nintendo will go into earnings and revised projections. If they do talk about the NX, it'll probably be to announce a delay. At this point I don't think a March launch is in the cards, but I'd be really happy to be wrong.

Revised projections to nothing? What does Nintendo have coming beyond Pokemon and Zelda? I don't see how anyone can look at Nintendo's current situation and think they can escape this shareholders meeting without having already disclosed NX information. The Wii U (especially) and 3DS (to a lesser extent) did not receive a graceful, gradual decline of software output.

"We will not be discussing NX today. Please look forward to the reveal which will take place at a later date."

Listening to this week's NVC, Jose was floating the idea that they talk about concept for the NX at this briefing, then announce the actual reveal for January.

I've seen big ads for Pokemon Sun and Moon in Paris today. Weeks before release.
I think their plan is to go all out on Pokemon for Christmas, riding the go hype. They'll keep NX for january and a 2 months marketing blitz.
It could be possible that the reception of Pokemon Go made them change their plans.

I hope I'm wrong.

udivision

I've seen big ads for Pokemon Sun and Moon in Paris today. Weeks before release.
I think their plan is to go all out on Pokemon for Christmas, riding the go hype. They'll keep NX for january and a 2 months marketing blitz.
It could be possible that the reception of Pokemon Go made them change their plans.

I hope I'm wrong.

Pokemon Sun & Moon gets a year of marketing, not even counting the 20th anniversary stuff and Pokemon GO. It'll probably end up selling 13+ million as every new Pokemon Gen does.

The NX, Nintendo's next system that they're staking a majority of their business on... gets 2 months. Dunno 'bout that...

Pokemon Sun & Moon gets a year of marketing, not even counting the 20th anniversary stuff and Pokemon GO. It'll probably end up selling 13+ million as every new Pokemon Gen does.

The NX, Nintendo's next system that they're staking a majority of their business on... gets 2 months.
You forget one thing:
Its Nintendo, and they work in mysterious ways.

Anywayz: Don't think it'll get delayed, but if it does I'm scratching my head at everyone saying they'll have nothing. Sure, a weaker year, but Pikmin, Mario Sports, Ever Oasis, Yarn Yoshi, Dragon Quest VIII, Etrian Odyssey V, and Pokemon/Mario Maker/Mario Party this year is still pretty good.

Mario Maker and Mario Sports will be bigger than people are expecting. Especially since the three new sports in the new Mario Sports games aren't developed by Camelot. I expect Yarn Yoshi to be fairly big aswell. Just because its a port doesn't mean it won't sell well.

I still expect NX in March however. I just wish I knew price and launch lineup already.

If they don't unveil it by the time this conference hits, it ain't coming out in March. You can't realistically unveil and prepare for a launch of a brand new console, one that replaces your handheld and home console division, in only five months. You need more time than that to gauge public reaction to figure out how many units to have ready for launch in each territory. Retailers need more time than that, too. They make set planogram decisions several months in advance.

So, if Nintendo legitimately just isn't ready to unveil the NX yet, and they're not simply holding onto it for competitive reasons, then that's fine. Take as long as you need to get it right. But tell us if March isn't happening. If need be, I will just get BotW on Wii U instead.

Or Operating system not being ready, or at a level that is ready for public use.

The Wii U, X1 both suffered with OS issues at launch and were clearly not finished.

With the NX being a completely new thing, a new start so to speak a lot of work would have to go into the OS, especially with what is expected of game console these days.

Having said that, i don't think the thing is delayed, i'm 90% sure/hopeful/deluded that we will know all about the NX within the next 21 days.

FZZ

Banned
You forget one thing:
Its Nintendo, and they work in mysterious ways.

Anywayz: Don't think it'll get delayed, but if it does I'm scratching my head at everyone saying they'll have nothing. Sure, a weaker year, but Pikmin, Mario Sports, Ever Oasis, Yarn Yoshi, Dragon Quest VIII, Etrian Odyssey V, and Pokemon/Mario Maker/Mario Party this year is still pretty good.

Mario Maker and Mario Sports will be bigger than people are expecting. Especially since the three new sports in the new Mario Sports games aren't developed by Camelot. I expect Yarn Yoshi to be fairly big aswell. Just because its a port doesn't mean it won't sell well.

I still expect NX in March however. I just wish I knew price and launch lineup already.

Nope. Nope nope nope nope nope. No

This is not by any means a pretty good year lmfao

This year is pathetic, and if the NX is delayed then it'll be even more pathetic. The lack of communication, the decision to actively avoid any and all NX discussion, and the piss poor PR they've had is all culminating to either mean they have something up their sleeve or what is more likely they don't know what the fuck is going on and are leaving fans in the dark. Again.

All moves they've made so far with doubling down on mobile, capitalizing on amiibo (even though steam has run out), and licensing their IP has been done to appease investors. That's why I always laugh when Nintendo fanboys say "hey at least Nintendo doesn't listen to investors they do what they want." No. No they don't. They've been listening and appeasing invrstors, the only people they don't listen to are you the fans because they know they can get away with anything they decide to do and you'll still buy their products.

It's gotten to the point where the behavior I see some fans give the company is just sad. There is no need to defend a company and every single decision they make. And I'll still get people saying and responding with hypothetical scenarios and things that Nintendo may or may not be doing. Maybe that's enough for you, but for the vast majority of consumers it doesn't cut it. A company that doesn't communicate with consumers and provide a sufficient amount of software and services is something that any other company would get hounded and scrutinized for.

I don't doubt Nintendo's ability to come up with the next big thing and create amazing games, but the way the company operates with its PR, lack of NOA/NOE autonomy, and just how they treat fans is fucking brazy.

I used to be the biggest Nintendo fanboy ever. I still am tbh, I'm gonna be buying this thing day 1 for BOTW, but Christ do not say this year has been pretty good.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
If they show more than Zelda NX it would probably just be already known about things like Pikmin 4, or a new Animal Crossing rather than showing something like a new Mario or Metroid or whatever Retro has been working on. They need to save that stuff to ramp up the hype again after the holidays.

Still holding on to that Pikmin exists for NX theory?

udivision

Still holding on to that Pikmin exists for NX theory?

You expect us to believe that Miyamoto said he's working on a Pikmin game and then they reveal a Pikmin game and somehow that game is the game he was working on?

That'd be like if that Star Fox game he hinted that he was working on was actually Star Fox Zero.

Top Bottom