• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overview of Nintendo's FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release/Briefing on Oct. 26/27

radcliff

Looks like several Switch questions in the Q&A. Hopefully someone can provide a quick overview before the official translation is released.

Some quick thoughts I typed on Twitter.

Read through the questions with my crappy Japanese. Investors are asking good questions. Look forward to English translation.

For example, one of the questions ask about third party support. Kimi said more developers are interested after the reveal

My Japanese is not good enough to translate them. Let's wait for the official translation.

Edit: Cheesemeister is translating the Q&A on Twitter!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k

Q1. Given that the people shown in the #NintendoSwitch intro video were teens to adults, what is the target demo? https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/161028.pdf …
0 replies 0 retweets 4 likes

Q2. The #NintendoSwitch intro video gives me high hopes for the software lineup. How will you apply the lessons of the #WiiU, in pricing?
0 replies 1 retweet 2 likes
Cheesemeister ‏@Cheesemeister3k 21m21 minutes ago

...Also, why do you think you were able to get the cooperation of 3rd-parties on #NintendoSwitch that didn't support the #WiiU?
0 replies 1 retweet 1 like
Cheesemeister ‏@Cheesemeister3k 6m6 minutes ago

Q3. The #NintendoSwitch had been billed as a new way to play games, but judging by the intro video, it looks like it just plays existing...
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes
Cheesemeister ‏@Cheesemeister3k 5m5 minutes ago

...games in different places. Could you please give us your impressions of the #NintendoSwitch, including what's new about it?
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes
Cheesemeister ‏@Cheesemeister3k 3m3 minutes ago

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Here's Cheesemeister's translations for all the questions, for those who want a quicker recap / can't look by themselves on Twitter right now

Q1. Given that the people shown in the #NintendoSwitch intro video were teens to adults, what is the target demo?

Q2. The #NintendoSwitch intro video gives me high hopes for the software lineup. How will you apply the lessons of the #WiiU, in pricing?...Also, why do you think you were able to get the cooperation of 3rd-parties on #NintendoSwitch that didn't support the #WiiU?

Q3. The #NintendoSwitch had been billed as a new way to play games, but judging by the intro video, it looks like it just plays existing...games in different places. Could you please give us your impressions of the #NintendoSwitch, including what's new about it?

Q4. The contribution of #PokemonGO to revenue may be limited, but The Pokemon Co. reported $100m of related income for the 2nd Q...Did sales and revenue allocation to The Pokemon Co. for #PokemonGO exceed expectations, and can you confirm Nintendo's share of profits?

Q5. Please tell me your plans for distributing #SuperMarioRun for iOS and Android in China.

Q6. Watching the #NintendoSwitch into video, it looked more fashionable than any previous consoles and looked aimed at gamers, not families....Should we expect that the launch software lineup will be targeted at hardcore gamers as well? You said that you're aiming for all ages...so I'd like to hear your software strategy.

Q7. Roughly speaking, #PokemonGO has been downloaded 500m times and daily sales are about $10m, correct? $100m in 2nd Q. has an impact...but will this improve going forward, or are these mostly just inflated initial royalties? I want to know the profit model for #PokemonGO.

Q8. How will #NintendoSwitch interact with smart devices? When NVIDIA Tegra was announced to be used, my imagination ran wild...Will interest in Nintendo IP generated through smart devices drive #NintendoSwitch software sales, Nintendo Account points be shared...or are there new and different ideas on a hardware level? Could you please give any hint you can?

Q9. I'd like to hear President Kimishima's business expectations for the next 2 or 3 years. While progress is being made with #Miitomo...and #amiibo to increase the gaming population, looking at the numbers, it doesn't seem to have succeeded yet. Also name current issues.

Q10. Regarding the smart device business, I'd like to know why #SuperMarioRun will go on sale before the previously-announced Animal...Crossing and Fire Emblem. Also, with the success of #PokemonGO, are there any mid-term changes to the dir. of smart device activities?

Q11. Why is the Nintendo Classic Mini Famicom being sold as hardware instead of on VC? How will it be positioned strategically w/ other HW?

Q12. The #NintendoSwitch will have 2m units shipped this fiscal year. Is that as originally planned? If there were any changes, why? Why 2m?

He's translating the answers to Q2, Q3, Q6 and Q10 right now.

Answer to question 2 is nice.

Because we're not announcing specs today, I can't compare #NintendoSwitch to the #WiiU. As the name indicates, it allows you to "switch" your gameplay experience, while the Wii U offers a different type of experience. In terms of price, as I said before, we will not sell at a loss. We want people of all ages to play Nintendo's products, so we will take customers' valuation of our products into account. In terms of 3rd-party support, they understand #NintendoSwitch offers different surprises than standard consoles, so many indicated that they would actively support it. Also, following the intro video, even more software makers have expressed interest in developing for it.

It's very encouraging.

Baltic

Banned
According to the translation, they decided to launch Super Mario Run sooner than expected in order to benefit from the same synergy effect as Pokemon Go and X & Y software sales being driven up.

So....

A Mario Switch game near launch?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
According to the translation, they decided to launch Super Mario Run sooner than expected in order to benefit from the same synergy effect as Pokemon Go and X & Y software sales being driven up.

So....

A Mario Switch game near launch?

You don't just bust out a 3D Mario game so easily. More like SMM for 3DS this December and Mario Kart 8DX for Switch at launch.

You don't just bust out a 3D Mario game so easily. More like SMM for 3DS this December and Mario Kart 8DX for Switch at launch.

A lot of people seem insistent that they need Mario at launch, but Mario Kart would likely be a better launch title. It sells better, it offers multiplayer (while BotW can hold the single-player torch), and still gets the characters out there.

Mario Kart will be a launch title, and a pack-in if Nintendo is playing aggressively. Mario Switch will be a summer to holiday title.

Speely

Banned
A lot of people seem insistent that they need Mario at launch, but Mario Kart would likely be a better launch title. It sells better, it offers multiplayer (while BotW can hold the single-player torch), and still gets the characters out there.

Mario Kart will be a launch title, and a pack-in if Nintendo is playing aggressively. Mario Switch will be a summer to holiday title.

Yeah I am thinking Super Mario Ice Cap for holidays 2017.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

I'm betting they have a Nintendo Play / Switch Play launch title or pack-in that really sells the hardware's ability to play multiplayer games anywhere. Then add Zelda and MKart to sell like hot cakes alongside.

Mario Maker NX was heavily rumored before Mario Maker 3DS was revealed. I sort of still expect it happen.

If it was ever an idea in the development team (not just mass speculation), it seemed they switched gears to the Nintendo 3DS sometime early this year.

VariantX

Mario Maker NX was heavily rumored before Mario Maker 3DS was revealed. I sort of still expect it happen.

Just needs SMB2 and slopes and im 100% in. It was a considerable amount of fun for me to whip up a level then hand it off to a friend and watch him struggle through it. They should bring back mario bros for some 4 player co-op/ competitive stuff to bring more people in who want to play in more ways.

LordRaptor

I think its unlikely Nintendo will launch with more than one or two 'heavy hitters', if only because they are going to want to give some breathing room to any third parties who show up.
It would also make a lot of sense to space their release schedule out over the year instead of shooting their entire load and leaving a drought until the holidays.

MacTag

Banned
Do it like Wii:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Excite Truck
Wii Sports

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
F-Zero XX
Switch Sports

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Mario Kart is a Wii U game, Zelda is a Wii U game, Splatoon is a Wii U game. I think that from the perception point of view, Switch would greatly benefit from a new Mario at launch. Probably won't happen. Even the shareholder asked about this image of Switch being a reload of Wii U. I know it's not, but there must be also enough new games at launch.

Turrican3

Mario Kart is a Wii U game, Zelda is a Wii U game, Splatoon is a Wii U game.
I see where you're coming from, but I believe we should also take into consideration many other factors that might lessen the perception of an ”old” game.

The first one is arguably the most obvious: WiiU was a very very unpopular platform. So there's a huge mass of people that can still enjoy its games.

Second, I fully expect Nintendo not to seat on a mere port and adding content to those games, as the video (2 items, Boo, etc.) already might hint at. Maybe they can even offer those 1.5 versions at discounted price to people that bought the games on WiiU, to incentivate a soft community transition and as a goodwill gesture.

Third, the Switch seems to be hinting in many ways at changes to the public image of Nintendo. Maybe it's a bit far fetched to recall what happened with the Wii (apparently there's nothing as revolutionary this time) but still, I feel this thing is going to surprise people, in a good way.

nynt9

Here's Cheesemeister's translations for all the questions, for those who want a quicker recap / can't look by themselves on Twitter right now

He's translating the answers to Q2, Q3, Q6 and Q10 right now.

Any update on the answers?

ggx2ac

English Q&A: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/161028e.pdf

The only questions that had any substance:

Q10 For the smart device business, can you tell us why Super Mario Run will be released earlier
than Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem, which were announced at the start of this fiscal year?
Also, have there been any changes to your mid- to long-term direction for the smart device
business due to the success of Pokémon GO?

A10 Kimishima:
At the start of this fiscal year, we had announced that we would be releasing around five
applications for smart devices by the end of March 2017, including Miitomo. Super Mario Run
was one of these titles. After that, it became clear that development had proceeded to the
point that we would be able to release it this year, and we reconsidered the order of release.
Among other factors, we saw how well-received Pokémon GO was and determined that it
would be best to release a Mario-related title ahead of the other titles. In the past, it was not
entirely clear what kind of impact the smart device business would have on our existing
business, so we were pleased to see Pokémon GO generate the kind of synergetic effect on
packaged software that we had expected. Due to this consequence, we want to strengthen our
development framework for smart device titles going forward. As for the basis of our smart
device business strategy, we continue to hold to the three tenets I discussed in my
presentation* today.
*(See page 11 of the “Presentation by the President” in the Semi-Annual Financial Results Briefing.)

Q11 Why did you decide to launch the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition as a
new hardware system instead of as Virtual Console titles? Also, how is the Nintendo
Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition positioned in your business strategy against your
other hardware, such as Nintendo 2DS and Nintendo Switch?

A11 Kimishima:
I had heard of many cases, particularly in the U.S. and Europe, where fans who had played on
Nintendo systems 30 years ago still had the system and were playing it with their children to
show them how much fun it was. We have also been aware of the strong desire for some of our
past hardware to be rereleased. We decided to launch the Nintendo Entertainment System:
NES Classic Edition in order to meet this demand and to provide a chance for fans who didnʼt
already own the system to play our past games and share the experience with their children. In
addition, we felt that providing a chance to play this system again would rekindle an interest in
Nintendoʼs game systems. We are expecting that these consumers will wonder what kind of
fun new experiences we will bring to Nintendo Switch and give the new system a try. At first,
we thought that the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition would mainly appeal
to a limited age demographic, but we had a massive response to the announcement of this
system and want to thank our fans for their support.

Q12 You have confirmed that you are planning to ship two million hardware units for Nintendo
Switch (during this fiscal year). Was this the same number planned by the company as of the
time when you came up with your original financial forecast? If you have changed the number,
what was the reason? What is the rationale behind this two million unit figure, anyway?

A12 Kimishima:
The 2 million hardware unit shipment forecast that we have just announced for Nintendo
Switch was the same number we originally planned on (internally at the company) when we
publicly announced the annual financial forecast earlier this year. In the case of Wii U, we
launched it in November, and we shipped slightly less than 3.5 million hardware units by the
end of the same fiscal year. In the case of Nintendo Switch, on the other hand, as we had
already announced when we made the original annual financial forecast, we will launch it in
March, the final month of the fiscal year. The fact that we can only ship for one month during
this fiscal year was part of the background for determining the annual shipment number.
Please also be advised that we have been preparing for a possible increase in demand as a
result of the presentation and the hands-on experiences next January.

Top Bottom