• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overview of Nintendo's FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release/Briefing on Oct. 26/27

Neiteio

22 day countdown to a motherfuckin' earnings release.

tumblr_mhi8vl7Ed21rnw80to8_1280.gif
Seriously. GAF is crazy.

Just play some videogames. I'm working through Okami and MGS2 while replaying RE5, RE6, and BioShock Infinite. Also about to start Ico and SotC.

If you have a gaming itch, scratch it!

wiibomb

I was really expecting some kind of NX announcement before October ends, so I suppose this confirms they are aiming to announce it sometime after this event wraps?

may be at this point NX was really delayed

MuchoMalo

Banned
This, unfortunately.

I don't think Nintendo will unveil the NX until its Xmas sales have been secured. I don't think we should expect it at any time before Black Friday. Early december is my bet.

Nah. What they're going to do is unveil this month and announce launch details in January. December is awkward because they wouldn't want two events too close together, but December is still a bit early for launch details. I guess they could unveil in December and give the launch date and price in early February though.

I was really expecting some kind of NX announcement before October ends, so I suppose this confirms they are aiming to announce it sometime after this event wraps?

I have no idea how you came to this conclusion, but no.

Do you not understand that late October where the hardcore holiday season starts? You know, where it's busy? And there's lots of products releasing? And you know, where there's a lot of holidays where people are with their... shocking, I know families.

90% of their Xmas sales will be secured before or on Black Friday. They'll unveil it after that.

Fandangox

Seriously. GAF is crazy.

Just play some videogames. I'm working through Okami and MGS2 while replaying RE5, RE6, and BioShock Infinite. Also about to start Ico and SotC.

If you have a gaming itch, scratch it!

when are you going to finish Xenoblade and W101 though

Noi_

Banned
90% of their Xmas sales will be secured before or on Black Friday. They'll unveil it after that.

again

Dude, that's not how any of this works. People buy actual things on Christmas, not pre-order receipts, NO ONE is going to buy a piece of paper for their little kids on christmas, it's very dumb to think so.

What christmas sales? Pokemon Sun/Moon, Mario Maker 3DS? there's nothing for them to sale. Pokemon will sale no matter what and Mario Maker is mario.

wiibomb

that's why I'm asking, I arrived to that conclusion based on the fact they are holding this event in October, may be it would be very close to make a reveal event for NX since they are kind of focused in that aspect.

of course they could be making it right now, but I kind of think this meeting would be in the way.

All I can wonder about is how extensive will the "holding pattern" fallout be. Nobody should reasonably expect good news from the coming briefing - Q2 is a comparatively weak quarter in comparison to others anyway and there doesn't appear to have been any sort of saving grace.

I am interested to see how Kimishima wants to spin the company's prospects by hyping up NX and directing shareholder attention there. But I expect there to be no reveal before then, which means he may have to address whether this device is actually going to release in Q1 2017 (it isn't folks).

Noi_

Banned
All I can wonder about is how extensive will the "holding pattern" fallout be. Nobody should reasonably expect good news from the coming briefing - Q2 is a comparatively weak quarter in comparison to others anyway and there doesn't appear to have been any sort of saving grace.

I am interested to see how Kimishima wants to spin the company's prospects by hyping up NX and directing shareholder attention there. But I expect there to be no reveal before then, which means he may have to address whether this device is actually going to release in Q1 2017 (it isn't folks).

You what? Where's your evidence for a delay? Seriously, where is it. I'm sick of everyone saying it's delayed "just because I said so" Provide some evidence instead of just pulling this out of your ass.

MuchoMalo

Banned
that's why I'm asking, I arrived to that conclusion based on the fact they are holding this event in October, may be it would be very close to make a reveal event for NX since they are kind of focused in that aspect.

of course they could be making it right now, but I kind of think this meeting would be in the way.

Nah. It rules out the last week or the month but that's it. Only panic if next week comes and goes without a peep.

Rösti;219014861 said:
Some guidelines for this thread
  • Refrain from posting memes/The Simpsons strips

1251583.gif

If Nintendo don't release info on NX prior to this briefing, there's going to be some serious questions to ask - from angry fans and investors...

I would think it'd be in their best interests to reveal it BEFORE the briefing because I assume it'll be a huge topic of discussion there.

Unless it really is delayed, of course.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
At this point, I don't even know what they could be planning or when it'll be announced.

There's no reason to have a clue because...

Nah. It rules out the last week or the month but that's it. Only panic if next week comes and goes without a peep.

...they can pretty much reveal it whenever they want, and on short notice, since they just do Directs instead of hosting big press events that need to be set up in advance so media can attend.

My guess is we'll get a direct the week of the 17th. This week is probably too soon, and they may worry about PSVR launch next week causing the gaming press to lose interest in NX news. Doing it the week of the 17th puts it a week after the PSVR launch that will get all the gaming media buzz that week, and perhaps allow them to steal some of the PSVR buzz by interrupting the news cycle the following week. It's also a week before the investors meeting which gives investors time to watch and digest the news and formulate questions etc.

From the Nintendo Canada CEO:
“We decided to focus on Zelda (at E3). We’ll talk about the NX fall. At that time, it will be 100% NX.”

We are close. Very close. This month for sure, but definitely not January. Nintendo wants to fill your mind with NX during the holiday season.

TLZ

Banned
Nah. What they're going to do is unveil this month and announce launch details in January. December is awkward because they wouldn't want two events too close together, but December is still a bit early for launch details. I guess they could unveil in December and give the launch date and price in early February though.

Reminder:

Some guidelines for this thread

• Share your thoughts on what the upcoming briefing may include
  • Feel free to post extra information on times/venues of the briefing(s)
  • Discuss NX in relation to the upcoming earnings release/briefing, do not treat this thread as a repository for general NX talk
  • Refrain from posting rumors (especially those originating from Twitter)
  • Refrain from posting memes/The Simpsons strips

wiibomb

honestly? I'm not holding much hope for anything next week. Sound too good to be true and there aren't any kind of rumblings about reports from the media.

I would think it'd be in their best interests to reveal it BEFORE the briefing because I assume it'll be a huge topic of discussion there.

Unless it really is delayed, of course.

it clearly in their best interests, it will surely be a topic taking into account the very low earning from this year and the radio silent attitude they have been keeping since E3

Malus

OP is weak: where're the latest Twitter rumours!

: ]

Well..Natedrake said yesterday that the reveal wasn't "delayed at the last minute" out of September like some think. Don't know what to read into that.

Then you got NWPlayer (more known as a data miner) saying she's hearing AMD and DMP rumors.

At what meeting would Nintendo need to project how many units of hardware they expect to ship for the next FY? Is that the one in May?

If this is just a summary of the earnings from Q2, I don't know if NX is relevant to the meeting necessarily, unless I'm wrong. It'll be revealed either before that, or we'll get a timeframe for its reveal during the Q&A session / overall results overview (early November at the latest, I'm guessing)?

MuchoMalo

Banned
There's no reason to have a clue because...

...they can pretty much reveal it whenever they want, and on short notice, since they just do Directs instead of hosting big press events that need to be set up in advance so media can attend.

My guess is we'll get a direct the week of the 17th. This week is probably too soon, and they may worry about PSVR launch next week causing the gaming press to lose interest in NX news. Doing it the week of the 17th puts it a week after the PSVR launch that will get all the gaming media buzz that week, and perhaps allow them to steal some of the PSVR buzz by interrupting the news cycle the following week. It's also a week before the investors meeting which gives investors time to watch and digest the news and formulate questions etc.

Yes, but they're going to want to announce the event in advance. If they don't announce an event by the end of next week, an event two weeks from now is not likely. That's also why early December is unlikely if the logic is that they want to avoid conflicts with Black Friday.

Oregano

Seeing as how Animal Crossing is getting a direct in early November can we expect Fire Emblem to make an appearance here?

I expect them to tell us how much Super Mario Runs costs and outline the stategy.

No Simpsons?

What about SpongeBob?

All right everyone! Can't believe the April forecast is almost here, and we're hot off the March "farewell to the 3DS and Wii U" direct! We'll finally get to know more about the NX!

latest

Okay, so the NX is missing E3 and isn't out until 2017, but this is fine! We'll know more about it by fall!

latest

Well... September has come and gone without an NX reveal like Eurogamer said... Maybe at the October earnings release...

latest

Fuck it, time to replay Xenoblade.

I hope we have some NX info before the briefing. A substantial portion of the meeting could then concern Nintendo's strategy for rollout and promotion following a Direct-style announcement of the thing itself.

tarheel91

With how little Nintendo has announced in the pipeline past Holidays 2016 I don't see how they can go into this shareholders meeting without the NX to talk about. Their performance is probably going to be underwhelming especially given the hype (unfounded as it relates to Nintendo's revenue) around Pokemon Go. Without something to point to in the near future as a major revenue source, their stock is going to tank. Yeah Pokemon is gonna sell like gangbusters, but that's one game, not a sustained plan.

I expected a system reveal, some info about Zelda and some third party ports in October, and a generic 1H 2017 release window with more info on pricing, release date, and the inevitable up-ports (e.g. Pokemon, Splatoon, etc.) in early 2017 so that it doesn't impact holiday sales numbers. I think the potential to double dip on Pokemon Sun/Moon or to make the third game for the generation an NX release window game is strong.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, but they're going to want to announce the event in advance. If they don't announce an event by the end of next week, an event two weeks from now is not likely. That's also why early December is unlikely if the logic is that they want to avoid conflicts with Black Friday.

If it's just a direct, it's not really an event, so it doesn't need a huge leeway.

They could announce the week before for an event early in the following week, or the same week for one later in the week (i.e. announce on Monday, put direct out Friday etc.).

I doubt it will be some huge blowout. Probably just a 30 minute direct showing the hardware and concept for the first time with some game footage--and probably mostly (or entirely) Zelda.

They'll likely do a bigger blow out in Jan or Feb when they announce the price and other launch details.

maxcriden

Most likely gonna get an NX reveal date announced at this.
Have they ever before announced a reveal date at an investors' meeting? I think if they were going to do so they'd have a massive simultaneous social media campaign to announce the reveal date.

Packy

Can you imagine how bad the meltdowns will be if there is still no NX reveal by the time of this briefing?

Although, after how the last Nintendo earnings briefing went down, I don't believe that Nintendo will have any choice but to talk NX. They have to show the new device off by then and start confirming games that will be available during the launch window. As part of their responsibility to the share holders they need to prove that they have a viable financial plan for the fiscal year, which is something they didn't really have at the last briefing. "Trust us, the project code named NX exists and we will show it at a later date" won't work this time.

Nintendo has made some bold money making moves into mobile gaming, and I imagine the Amiibo market is still making them some decent bank, but the Wii U is limping to its death and the 3DS is in serious need of a replacement device. The time to unveil the NX as the future of Nintendo needs to be no later than this briefing later this month.

maxcriden

Seeing as how Animal Crossing is getting a direct in early November can we expect Fire Emblem to make an appearance here?

I expect them to tell us how much Super Mario Runs costs and outline the stategy.

The AC Direct is only so far confirned to be about the New Leaf update and IIRC new cards; unless I missed it, it hasn't yet been confirmed to involve news on the AC (or FE) mobile games. Remains to be seen when or how those will be revealed. But yeah, it's possible the AC mobile game will be revealed during that Direct and that we may hear info about the games or about a timeframe for release of either or both during the investor meeting, since they're slated to release prior to the end of the FY. Also, I expect to hear about Super Mario Run as you said. I imagine investors will be eager to hear more about that one, possibly above all else.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If they don't announce NX before or during, those investors are sure as hell out of the company.

I doubt that since most of them have been pressuring Nintendo to get into Mobile for years and are probably more interested in updates on future mobile titles and revenue streams.

Hell, a lot of investors would probably be thrilled if they scrapped NX and focused on mobile and maybe games for PC or other consoles as new hardware is just a big potential risk to them after them Wii U failure and the 3DS decline relative to the DS.

If they don't announce NX before or during, those investors are sure as hell out of the company.

To be fair investors lately don't seem to care much about Nintendo's hardware or hardware plans- they're all focused on mobile. I really don't know if there will be such a high investor demand for NX info.

They still need to provide some info as it relates to their Q3/Q4 forecasts, but I don't think there will be a massive outrage if investors don't get a substantial amount of NX info.

gafneo

Banned
To be fair investors lately don't seem to care much about Nintendo's hardware or hardware plans- they're all focused on mobile. I really don't know if there will be such a high investor demand for NX info.

They still need to provide some info as it relates to their Q3/Q4 forecasts, but I don't think there will be a massive outrage if investors don't get a substantial amount of NX info.

It will impact greatly. The Wii and DS was why a lot of investors got in. They were told last time March would be a release date, and still no word on it's existence.

Malus

If it's just a direct, it's not really an event, so it doesn't need a huge leeway.

They could announce the week before for an event early in the following week, or the same week for one later in the week (i.e. announce on Monday, put direct out Friday etc.).

I doubt it will be some huge blowout. Probably just a 30 minute direct showing the hardware and concept for the first time with some game footage--and probably mostly (or entirely) Zelda.

They'll likely do a bigger blow out in Jan or Feb when they announce the price and other launch details.

I don't see why they wouldn't have more games to show other than Zelda which has been focused on extensively already. Even the Wii U had a handful of games shown off during it's lackluster pre-release E3. Wii U did have a launch details event later with a couple more games but it was a smaller show.

I don't expect a huge blowout at an investor meeting but if they have a digitial event or otherwise there should be a good deal of info imo.

Though I can understand everyone being in a pessimistic/conservative mood with the way things have gone this year lol.

Oregano

The AC Direct is only so far confirned to be about the New Leaf update and IIRC new cards; unless I missed it, it hasn't yet been confirmed to involve news on the AC (or FE) mobile games. Remains to be seen when or how those will be revealed. But yeah, it's possible the AC mobile game will be revealed during that Direct and that we may hear info about the games or about a timeframe for release of either or both during the investor meeting, since they're slated to release prior to the end of the FY. Also, I expect to hear about Super Mario Run as you said. I imagine investors will be eager to hear more about that one, possibly above all else.

Really? I thought they covered it all in the last direct. I guess we will see.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see why they wouldn't have more games to show other than Zelda which has been focused on extensively already. Even the Wii U had a handful of games shown off during it's lackluster pre-release E3. Wii U did have a launch details event later with a couple more games but it was a smaller show.

I don't expect a huge blowout at an investor meeting but if they have a digitial event or otherwise there should be a good deal of info imo.

Though I can understand everyone being in a pessimistic/conservative mood with the way things have gone this year lol.

I think they'll just save that for a bigger blow out after the holidays. No point in revealing any big surprise titles since the console and games aren't out until March and they'd just get forgotten about over the holiday game rush anyway.

If they show more than Zelda NX it would probably just be already known about things like Pikmin 4, or a new Animal Crossing rather than showing something like a new Mario or Metroid or whatever Retro has been working on. They need to save that stuff to ramp up the hype again after the holidays.

Top Bottom