• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overview of Nintendo's FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release/Briefing on Oct. 26/27

I'm trying to remember the last time Nintendo announced hardware launch plans and pricing more than two months before release. This isn't new for them.

The fact that we probably won't receive any Switch info before 2017 sucks though.

Well i'll try to remain optimistic by saying that the first 3 months of 2017 will be packed with info...

SalvaPot

None of these games had any chance of selling one million units.

I agree with that, and I own every single one of them and enjoyed them, just saying its sad that the games are not doing better.

I'll also like for Nintendo to just release info on sales even for the games that don't perform as great, I'll love to know how #FE did.

Splitting the game in two probably didn't do it many favors. Not to mention it didnt have the same push behind it Awakening did or bring such a transitional shift it did either. Awakening felt fresh and new. Fates, despite its many improvements, felt more of the same sadly.

For the entirety of this period, Fates has already been more than a year old in Japan, largely front-loaded in North America in the previous quarter (Release was in February), and likely didn't sell all too much in Europe (Like Awakening's sales).

casiopao

Splitting the game in two probably didn't do it many favors. Not to mention it didnt have the same push behind it Awakening did or bring such a transitional shift it did either. Awakening felt fresh and new. Fates, despite its many improvements, felt more of the same sadly.

Umm..... it is liek you guys don't read our reply up there.T_T

LordKano

I agree with that, and I own every single one of them and enjoyed them, just saying its sad that the games are not doing better.

I'll also like for Nintendo to just release info on sales even for the games that don't perform as great, I'll love to know how #FE did.

Oh yeah I understand, I also liked Starfox Zero but I understood that I was one of the few that bought it. Game was doomed since the announcement.

Fates is successfull. More so then Awakening.

fates plays much different then Awakening as well.

Oh yeah I understand, I also liked Starfox Zero but I understood that I was one of the few that bought it. Game was doomed since the announcement.

No, it wasn't. When announced as a prototype, people still had expectations. The game was doomed since Miyamoto decided to take over the project and make it an average game, tied to a boring control scheme and use PG as an assets farmer.

ramparter

Banned
Mario Kart is steadily growing as a franchise. Of course it also helped that it came with a free dgital code for another game on release and has been bundled with the console for a while.

oti

Banned
Seeing Mario Maker < 4 million hurts. I hope the 3DS release will triple that for total sales across all platforms. 8 million sales maybe? NSMB2 and 3D World both managed > 10. Although a Switch release could change things up.

Aleh

Is Nintendo intending on continuing a handheld line after Switch? Because from what I've seen, everyone knows that it's different from a 3DS. So why say this?

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/791181719093125120

"Nintendo CEO's confident that after full unveiling of Switch, consumers would understand that it would be different from 3DS."
Nah, unless the Switch fails big time, which I don't see happening (yeah I'm pretty positive)
It's just a matter of time since the 3DS still has to carry Nintendo till the Switch is out and starts selling sufficiently for them

casiopao

Seeing Mario Maker < 4 million hurts. I hope the 3DS release will triple that for total sales across all platforms. 8 million sales maybe? NSMB2 and 3D World both managed > 10. Although a Switch release could change things up.

The Switch port is going to be game changer i believe.^_^

LordKano

No, it wasn't. When announced as a prototype, people still had expectations. The game was doomed since Miyamoto decided to take over the project and make it an average game, tied to a boring control scheme and use PG as an assets farmer.

By announcement I mean reveal at E3 2015. I would also argue that thanks to Miyamoto it's one of the best games in the serie but it's not the thread for that and I know who I'm talking to. ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

For the entirety of this period, Fates has already been more than a year old in Japan, largely front-loaded in North America in the previous quarter (Release was in February), and likely didn't sell all too much in Europe (Like Awakening's sales).

Umm..... it is liek you guys don't read our reply up there.T_T

Fates is successfull. More so then Awakening.

fates plays much different then Awakening as well.

Sorry guys its 1am and i've been studying for my midterms all day, my brain is fried and I completely misinterpreted the post I quoted. I loved Fates a lot more than Awakening, but some reason my mind read his post as it didn't sell good at all and went with it completely ignoring the fact that we're only talking about this last quarter sales. My bad.

So, you were responding to something I didn't say with something completely different.

Alright.

Let's hope for a big software Direct in January.

The 3DS and Gamecube release date and price were revealed 5 months ahead of Japan's release and 6 months ahead of NA's. The N64's price/release was announced almost 3 years before it released. The DS's, Wii's and Wii U's release dates were between 2-4 months ahead of release depending on the territory.

I was responding to what you said, as the "detailed" bit inferred the two bits of information you specifically pointed out in your quote, and if you didn't pick that up from reading what I posted then now you know.

As an aside, I didn't realize the period of time was so short for the DS, Wii, and Wii U so at least I learned something new!

By announcement I mean reveal at E3 2015. I would also argue that thanks to Miyamoto it's one of the best games in the serie but it's not the thread for that and I know who I'm talking to. ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

Yeah, but reason why you think that is I know who I'm talking to too :")

The 3DS and Gamecube release date and price were revealed 5 months ahead of Japan's release and 6 months ahead of NA's.

No, it wasn't. 3DS launch date and pricing were announced in January 2011 for North America and Europe. It may have been slightly earlier in Japan.

DS, Wii, 3DS, and Wii U all received launch date info and pricing two months before launch.

I don't care about N64 and GCN. N64 is 20 years ago and GCN is 15. So, based on Nintendo's modern history, a two month window for launch date and pricing is completely normal.

However, the lack of other info, is not. Which I already mentioned in the original post you responded to.

Speely

Banned
I expect a "it's january where is my switch direct" thread to pop up on january the 1st at 00:01.

I've already planned for that and have my own "where is my Switch Direct" post typed up and ready to go on New Year's Eve at 23:59 since I am pretty sure no one will notice and I'll be the first of many.

I think that Nintendo CEO stating that Switch won't be sold at a loss, and they're listening to people's reaction right now to determine their pricing, is pretty big news.
I'll take a little l on that because some didn't expect any news at all. I was more expecting news tomorrow for sure.

Akiller

I expect a "it's january where is my switch direct" thread to pop up on january the 1st at 00:01.

I've already planned for that and have my own "where is my Switch Direct" post typed up and ready to go on New Year's Eve at 23:59 since I am pretty sure no one will notice and I'll be the first of many.

Tfw nothing's changed, i mean last January was "It's 2016, where's NX news at?" rotfl

Ninferno

Is Nintendo intending on continuing a handheld line after Switch? Because from what I've seen, everyone knows that it's different from a 3DS. So why say this?

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/791181719093125120

"Nintendo CEO's confident that after full unveiling of Switch, consumers would understand that it would be different from 3DS."

They NEED the 3DS for this holiday; why on earth would they say it now that the "3DS is about to die and get replaced"? Wait until April next year, then we can get to know what Nintendo really have in mind for the 3DS.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Thats my reaction seeing u saying the same thing on other thread and the mentioning the same thing on this thread lol.

It's not my fault that we have two threads about it. Anyhow, as I woke up I was asking more about interesting news. I saw now that there is the estimation of 2 mio. for Switch at launch so at least that's something I guess.

casiopao

It's not my fault that we have two threads about it. Anyhow, as I woke up I was asking more about interesting news. I saw now that there is the estimation of 2 mio. for Switch at launch so at least that's something I guess.

Well, we found that Poke GO help selling more 3DS/2DS so there is one positive thing there.

It also make Poke X and Y beat B&W and it is now not the worst selling gen.
Poke ORAS also beat HGSS sales number now.
Mario kart 8 reached 8 million making it one of the highest attach rate title on Wii U.
Switch is estimated to sell around 2 million in the first month of release(Not full month though)

Nes Mini coming November and Super Mario Run coming in December.

There is quite a lot of things for Nintendo to market there in this upcoming two months.

The only real things to consider regarding the switch is the release window between then and the end of the fiscal year is less than a month, Kimishima says while they aren't pricing at a lost, they consider customer feedback on what price the market will go for moving forward, and that the full reveal will have you understanding what the Switch will offer you differently from the 3DS (their current handheld) and other consoles.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well, we found that Poke GO help selling more 3DS/2DS so there is one positive thing there.

It also make Poke X and Y beat B&W and it is now not the worst selling gen.
Poke ORAS also beat HGSS sales number now.
Mario kart 8 reached 8 million making it one of the highest attach rate title on Wii U.
Switch is estimated to sell around 2 million in the first month of release(Not full month though)

Nes Mini coming November and Super Mario Run coming in December.

There is quite a lot of things for Nintendo to market there in this upcoming two months.

We already knew about Poke Go helping 3ds/2ds.

All the rest matter until you look at the net sales year on year and the operating income.

Is there an estimation for the sales of NES Mini and the income out of Super Mario Run?

All the rest matter until you look at the net sales year on year and the operating income.

Is there an estimation for the sales of NES Mini and the income out of Super Mario Run?

Not in the report but that's likely gonna be a question during the actual briefing with investors in the next 15 hours.

casiopao

Tomorrow i guess, they will explain? This is just the earning report released so, they will have Q and A time coming to explain those thing.

TheJoRu

Took over? This was never anything other than a Miyamoto project requested by Iwata to have more games make use of the Gamepad. The only reason this game exists at all, and as a Star Fox-game, is because they had some left-over assets and thought the franchise made sense for the kind of gameplay they wanted to make using the Gamepad.

ramparter

Banned
Should have handed it to Platinum since the beginning and give them full creativity freedom.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Not in the report but that's likely gonna be a question during the actual briefing with investors in the next 15 hours.

Tomorrow i guess, they will explain? This is just the earning report released so, they will have Q and A time coming to explain those thing.

Yeah, I guess at least one of the shareholders will about Super Mario Run expected revenues. I'm not sure they care about NES mini.

Yeah, I guess at least one of the shareholders will about Super Mario Run expected revenues. I'm not sure they care about NES mini.

It's the one other big holiday seller besides Pokémon that launches in three of their largest markets.

They might want to know how much they think it'll salvage the holiday season.

Top Bottom