• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 37, 2016

How about we play a little game then?

Quote this with your guess on how many copies Gears 4 will sell and I'll edit them all into this post. We'll see who comes closest.

I think people are underestimating it heavily. There's no way it sells less than Halo 5, Halo franchise had a lot of problems prior and a poor campaign with no local coop in 5 giving a low review score, Gears doesn't look to have any of those.

I'd be shocked if it does less than Halo 5.. I'm lowballing it at 180k prediction but I wouldn't be surprised to see over 200k.

or maybe I'm overestimating it haha, we'll find out I guess.

You really wouldn't be surprised if Gears 4 outsold Uncharted 4's first week? I'd be shocked.

From my perspective, Gears 4 hype has been even more muted than Halo 5's (which itself was extremely quiet for a Halo launch), both E3 showings were weak, the last Gears game was Judgement and the studio is a big question mark because this is their first game. I'm not optimistic.

Edit: Argh! Should've refreshed before I posted. I'll change it to 105k then.

Chris1

You really wouldn't be surprised if Gears 4 outsold Uncharted 4's first week? I'd be shocked.

From my perspective, Gears 4 hype has been even more muted than Halo 5's (which itself was extremely quiet for a Halo launch), both E3 showings were weak, the last Gears game was Judgement and the studio is a big question mark because this is their first game. I'm not optimistic.

Edit: Argh! Should've refreshed before I posted. I'll change it to 105k then.
Uncharted was never *that* big in the UK though, U4 had a 66% increase over U3 and an even bigger increase over 2. Gears was doing 300k+ on the 360. To put that into perspective, Gears 3 did slightly under 3x that of Uncharted 3 and slightly over 50% more than Uncharted 4. Judgement is a good point but Gears 4 is back to it's roots and I don't think a new studio will hurt it that much unless Gears 4 turned out bad (Halo 4 did fine in sales).

Halo had a broken MCC, a disappointing campaign and reviews, coming off the heels of Halo 4 and a lot of people with absolute despise for 343. All of that and it was still doing 150k+. Gears 4 will be fine IMO as it only really has Judgement going against it, assuming it gets good reviews and the campaign is half decent.

Even with a quieter launch, it's Gears, it's still gonna sell a ton. Not as much as it used to for a multitude of reasons but I think people are crazy expecting sub 100k.

I think it's got better chance of selling under 100k than it has hitting the dizzy heights of 180k. Don't forget digital will play its part and the 360 was a beast.

I cannot see it doing more than Halo 5 first week in the slightest. Gears has historically always sold worse. There's not as much hype going for it and there's a heck of a lot of competition in the multiplayer stakes going forward. I'm not even sure it could do 180k first week if it was on PS4 TBH. But time will tell. If reviews are particularly strong as is the marketing and whatever bundles they put together it could do better with those but I can't see it as it currently stands.

Chris1

I think it's got better chance of selling under 100k than it has hitting the dizzy heights of 180k. Don't forget digital will play its part and the 360 was a beast.

I cannot see it doing more than Halo 5 first week in the slightest. Gears has historically always sold worse. There's not as much hype going for it and there's a heck of a lot of competition in the multiplayer stakes going forward. I'm not even sure it could do 180k first week if it was on PS4 TBH. But time will tell. If reviews are particularly strong as is the marketing and whatever bundles they put together it could do better with those but I can't see it as it currently stands.
Tbh I don't think digital will play a big part, it is the UK and games here cost a fortune digitally. It's £35 on amazon or £50 on the xbox store, why buy it digitally when you can get near enough another brand new game for the differences? Digital %'s will be low in the UK.

I guess we'll see, but I'm gonna be surprised (impressed, maybe even worried? both? lol) if Halo 5 managed to outsell it with everything it had going against it.

Oh don't get me wrong digital won't be a game changer but it's most definitely much stronger now than it was in the 360 era which won't help its first week sales for the purpose here.

Chris1

Oh don't get me wrong digital won't be a game changer but it's most definitely much stronger now than it was in the 360 era which won't help its first week sales for the purpose here.

In the end it's just fun and games predictions, no harm no fowl if someones way off or on the money. I've always said I think Gears is gonna outsell Halo this time around after Halo 5 sales, can't go back on my word now :p

Absolutely. You could be bang on the money. We'all see soon enough :)

Edit: Actually forgot it was PC as well which could affect the XBone version sales a little.

Kyonashi

I will clarify, I won't be sharing any official numbers so we'll have to go based on Bruno's (most often very correct) estimations.

Of course I'll know who the REAL winner is ;)

I'm personally hovering around the 110-115k mark. I don't think the series has legs any more and the marketing has been pretty non-existent. I saw a lot more ads for Halo 5 and we know how that did.

Bruno MB

If we exclude FIFA and Call of Duty, these are the only Xbox One titles that had an equal or better opening than Halo 5.

[Week 46, 2015] XBO FALLOUT 4 (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) - 198,000 / NEW
[Week 47, 2014] XBO GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 165,000 / NEW
[Week 37, 2014] XBO DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 150,000 / NEW

Star Wars Battlefront must be the closest game to 150,000 outside that trio.

[Week 47, 2015] XBO STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 130,000 / NEW

Chris1

If we exclude FIFA and Call of Duty, these are the only Xbox One titles that had an equal or better opening than Halo 5.

[Week 46, 2015] XBO FALLOUT 4 (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) - 198,000 / NEW
[Week 47, 2014] XBO GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2) - 165,000 / NEW
[Week 37, 2014] XBO DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 150,000 / NEW

Star Wars Battlefront must be the closest game to 150,000 outside that trio.

[Week 47, 2015] XBO STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 130,000 / NEW
Shit.. not giving me much hope Bruno :(

Quote this with your guess on how many copies Gears 4 will sell and I'll edit them all into this post. We'll see who comes closest.

As I said before, Gears problem is it's a product of a bygone era.* Many people who would of jumped at a new gears game even 4 years ago have moved on now.

Launching so close to the big hitters isn't going to help either.

*NB in the UK. I think Gears will still do very well in US and surrounding territories.

Welfare

Also the PS4 slim did nothing? That is concerning. Even more is the low 25k being expected for the Xbox One S.

Also the PS4 slim did nothing? That is concerning. Even more is the low 25k being expected for the Xbox One S.

I'd say the issue with the Slim was it wasn't really needed or cheaper/bringing new features because the orig PS4 was slim enough and selling well. And of course we have the Pro incoming soon.

Just saw an ad for Gears. I don't know, it just didn't wow or stand out and felt a bit "seen it all before" though I'm not Gears biggest fan and the series got quite stale fast for me. The dude bro thing started getting too much.

I think people are underestimating it heavily. There's no way it sells less than Halo 5, Halo franchise had a lot of problems prior and a poor campaign with no local coop in 5 giving a low review score, Gears doesn't look to have any of those.

I'd be shocked if it does less than Halo 5.. I'm lowballing it at 180k prediction but I wouldn't be surprised to see over 200k.

I don't think Gears will outsell Halo 5, but we'll see.

What I am going to counter here is the low review scores for Halo 5 point. Isn't it sitting on mid/high 80s on metacritic? That's not a low score! In fact, I think it's very likely that's exactly where Gears 4 will end up.

jjonez18

It had no new software to move things along. Just look over to the PS4 Slim + Persona combo in Japan versus its weak debut in the UK.

25k though, that is dissapointing. Especially if FIFA is bundled in for free. A game that should move 1m in week one.

Slim's not gonna do anything here or in the US until the holiday sales. I just don't see it personally.

I can see that too. Just like last year with the the delayed price effect last year. Weak debut, but huge holiday sales.

Abdiel

Unless things escalate rather quickly in their media blitz, the response for Gears is really muted right now in our preorders too. I know that Gamestop is the primary source for the Gears audience, but I mean, our percentages aren't usually that far off for a comparison, and it's not really that impressive. Even most of my staff is kind of halfhearted on it right now. I think if the reviews come out and it blows people's socks off that might help give it some serious legs, but even Halo 5's pretty positive response didn't grow significant longevity there.

Ray Down

Banned
Unless things escalate rather quickly in their media blitz, the response for Gears is really muted right now in our preorders too. I know that Gamestop is the primary source for the Gears audience, but I mean, our percentages aren't usually that far off for a comparison, and it's not really that impressive. Even most of my staff is kind of halfhearted on it right now. I think if the reviews come out and it blows people's socks off that might help give it some serious legs, but even Halo 5's pretty positive response didn't grow significant longevity there.

Nice, to hear some retail musings Abdiel.

Wondering if you can give us any word on Mafia 3?

viHuGi

Banned

People can still buy OG Ps4 dirt cheap so those will sell faster than Slim, after that and Slim bundles into holidays, Slim should skyrocket Ps4 sales.

Chris1

I don't think Gears will outsell Halo 5, but we'll see.

What I am going to counter here is the low review scores for Halo 5 point. Isn't it sitting on mid/high 80s on metacritic? That's not a low score! In fact, I think it's very likely that's exactly where Gears 4 will end up.
It's sitting at 84 metacritic. It's not low on its own, but Halo 2 and 3 were mid 90 metacritics and Reach at low 90's.

If Gears 4 gets a mid 80's meta it'd be a disaster I think. Every other Gears bar Judgement has gotten a 90+ and I expect the same here. The lowest I can see it is an 88-89 meta, any lower would be a disappointment for me.

tolkir

Spain:
Week (Sep 12-Sep 18) - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PS4 NBA 2K17 (>16.000 / NEW)
02 (NE) PS4 Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 (>13.000 / NEW)
03 (NE) 3DS Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (>5.000 / NEW)
04 (NE) PS3 Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 (>4.000 / NEW)
05 (NE) PS4 BioShock: The Collection (~3.000 / NEW)

LTD Vita:

Uncharted: Golden Abyss (>62.000)
Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified (>60.000)
Invizimals: The Alliance (~47.000)
LEGO Jurassic World (>25.000)

viHuGi

Banned
Spain:

LTD Vita:

Good debut for NBA.

Fifa next week will be huge.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Spain:

What's this shit, where is Yokai Watch? :p /s

Wonder if FIFA for XBO will chart next week, if not even the freaking FIFA can chart this really tell us how death is XBO in Spain lol.

LTD Vita:

Is this a TOP 4? The 4 best seller on PSVita, or is just some random games with numbers? If so i would be surprised Assassin's Creed is not here.

Bruno MB

Is this a TOP 4? The 4 best seller on PSVita, or is just some random games with numbers? If so i would be surprised Assassin's Creed is not here.

It is not a PS Vita top 4. Every week the guy makes a contest to guess the order of sales of some titles, for this week he chose these 4 PS Vita games.

Edit: Oops, I thought I was editing my previous message instead of posting a new one.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Yokai Watch first week - 6,000
Dragon Quest VII first week - 5,000

...Dragon Quest VII beast confirmed! :p

No but seriusly this seem a great first week.

It is not a PS Vita top 4. Every week the guy makes a contest to guess the order of sales of some titles, for this week he chose these 4 PS Vita games.

Ok thanks.

I wonder how Yo-kai Watch Espana is going to market YW1. They've had a solid run of sales for the past months, how will they get more people into YW. :eek:

Chris1

I think he meant can it chart this Monday coming because of the early access thing. In that case no, digital doesn't count unless with bundles.

It's sitting at 84 metacritic. It's not low on its own, but Halo 2 and 3 were mid 90 metacritics and Reach at low 90's.

If Gears 4 gets a mid 80's meta it'd be a disaster I think. Every other Gears bar Judgement has gotten a 90+ and I expect the same here. The lowest I can see it is an 88-89 meta, any lower would be a disappointment for me.
What sequels this gen have matched or exceeded their predecessors critically?

UC4 is the one that immediately comes to mind. Overall, I think there has been decline with major titles like that though.

Edit - Oh, Forza Horizon too. :p That is a bit of a different case though but yeah.

Chris1

What sequels this gen have matched or exceeded their predecessors critically?

UC4 is the one that immediately comes to mind. Overall, I think there has been decline with major titles like that though.

Horizon 3, UC4, Call of Duty and TR comes to mind.

Edit: Witcher 3

Bruno MB

Spain

(1st week sales)

[Week 34, 2016] PS4 DEUS EX: MANKIND DIVIDED (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) - 3.000 / NEW
[Week 37, 2016] 3DS DRAGON QUEST VII: THE FORGOTTEN PAST (NINTENDO) - 5,000 / NEW

I know US is not the biggest market for racing, but how are your impressions about Forza Horizon 3 compared to Forza Horizon 2 (if you can remember anyway) ?

Spain

(1st week sales)

[Week 34, 2016] PS4 DEUS EX: MANKIND DIVIDED (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) - 3.000 / NEW
[Week 37, 2016] 3DS DRAGON QUEST VII: THE FORGOTTEN PAST (NINTENDO) - 5,000 / NEW

I still really don't understand how Deus Ex bombed so hard. Shame too really as it's fricking good game.

Chris1

Just a handful.

I just wouldn't call Gears a disappointment if it does end up below the games before it.
There's the sports games too but I guess they don't really count. Ratchet and Clank, MGS V, Dirt Rally, Dragon Age Inquisition & Dark Souls 3 are some more.

There's a lot that's scored roughly the same as the previous entries, I do agree reviewers are harsher this gen but I also think a big part of it is games just aren't as good any more or have other issues. Batman AK wasn't as good + the batmobile, Halo 5 campaign was a lie and disappointing, AC Unity was broke, BF4 was broke, Fallout 4 wasn't as good as 3, trying to think of more but minds going blank.

Edit: I do think it'll score slightly below 1-3 but still around the 90ish mark. Gears 1 94, Gears 2 93,Gears 3 91, I can see 4 being a 90-91.

Top Bottom