• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAY2WIN: COD microtransactions keep getting worse - IW gives stat boosts to guns

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The gun perks that stack with attachments aren't nearly as powerful as the attachments themselves. It's a small bonus that you aren't honestly going to notice when you're on the other side of the barrel. And although Epic variants are more expensive, they aren't necessarily better in every case. Same goes for Rares and Legendaries. In the beta, I often found myself running the common variant because I preferred it's perk to the two I got from the rare or legendary (or even epic) options.

You forgot to mention that the salvage drop rate was increased in the beta over what will be in the Base game. So yes it'll be worse than what it is now somehow.

I think that only applied to the daily bonuses. Near the end of the weekend, they handed out 1000+ salvage just for signing in.

For the record, the variants in Advanced Warfare did have some drawbacks, but it rarely made a big difference. Some of the variants were even pure bonuses compared to base version. If you got the Obsidian Steed variant of the BAL-27, you pretty much win Advanced Warfare, as it was pretty much the most powerful weapon in any CoD ever.

With that said, RNG loot boxes need to go away in this series and in any game that I'm paying an upfront cost for, especially when you can get duplicates which is the biggest bullshit. I'm getting tired of this trend, even in a game like Overwatch where it's all cosmetic. We can thank the whales that are gamers and Youtubers who do this.

I don't think the variants are as bad as the AW versions this time around. Yes, most of them don't have drawbacks, but the most important stat-change (increased damage) does. The only variants that get it either become slower or go from automatic to semi auto.

Enilced2

I'm fine with lootcrates in overwatch and battlepacks in battlefield cause they are purely cosemetic and you can earn them at decent enough rate.

Halo 5 I was okay with because even with there being reqs in them it never felt like I had to play more than 3 or 4 matches to afford the most expensive box.

This and Gears 4 are just examples of doing it extremely poorly. Where you earn the currency to buy the crates at an extremely slow rate and gate game altering items behind them.

I'm cool with this version of supplementary income for devs to offset the costs of development and the fact that they haven't jacked game prices to compensate just as long as its done well and not done in the mobile game way.

People will use real money to boost their stats. Can you really blame Activision?

They're exploiting it. Doesn't make it good game design. It might be good business design, but if that's all you care about, why don't you go kiss some dollar bills or franchise a Mcdonalds. Games are meant to be fun, and pay to win is in conflict with that.

patapuf

When Microtransactions affect gameplay is where i draw the line.

Exept for cardgames, because i'm a hypocrite. But still, playing a shooter with pay 2 win mechanics can't feel great.

That's awful and makes me worried about Destiny 2 with the way that's going.

My biggest worry especially with how the most recent event is going. A lot of microtransaction for RNG cosmetic without any other way of getting the items after 3 attempts.

Acerac

Banned
This'll be wonderful for short term profits. That's all that really matters, right?
RNGeezus loot boxes are terrible.
I still don't understand why so many people defended the practice in those Overwatch threads from way back.

I didn't mind them because they had no effect on my stats.

As a sidenote I now have cool costumes for every character I use in that game, including bunches of the Halloween limited edition ones. I've yet to pay anything more than 40 dollar entry fee.

Djostikk

You get Salvage just for starting the game everyday. I got 1000 when I got to the menu. Don't know how much you will get everyday when the game comes out. I don't like this crafting system, too. Feels like F2P grind for same weapons, but with better stats.

Trace

Banned
That's awful and makes me worried about Destiny 2 with the way that's going.

I'm hoping they're smart enough to avoid that. None of the microtransactions in Destiny currently give you any tangible advantage, if they added that in Destiny 2 I'm sure there would be a huge backlash.

I like Drift, but his opinions on the matter mean shit to me when he directly contributes to this by buying into these RNG boxes.

At the least, I hope he's stopped in these games.

afaik he hasnt bought them in a long time, his weapon videos are borrowed clips from his friends/other youtubers

They're exploiting it. Doesn't make it good game design. It might be good business design, but if that's all you care about, why don't you go kiss some dollar bills or franchise a Mcdonalds. Games are meant to be fun, and pay to win is in conflict with that.

We have been trained to spend money on multiplayer games since forever. Whether it's cosmetics or boosters it's the reality of multiplayer games right now.

BigEmil

Hope Treyarch don't fall downhill in the future like all the other COD devs they still retain best COD devs BO3 was fantastic.
Gonna stick with BO3 & Titanfall 2 it seems.

You get Salvage just for starting the game everyday. I got 1000 when I got to the menu. Don't know how much you will get everyday when the game comes out. I don't like this crafting system, too. Feels like F2P grind for same weapons, but with better stats.

They also gave 120 keys, which is obviously a beta thing and is 100% not happening in the final game. That lets you open 8 dollars of rare drops. There is a login bonus system, but the numbers of items you get is unknown.

I'm hoping they're smart enough to avoid that. None of the microtransactions in Destiny currently give you any tangible advantage, if they added that in Destiny 2 I'm sure there would be a huge backlash.

for some reason I feel like Destiny 2 is going to bring microtransactions in force.

zeelman

For the record, the variants in Advanced Warfare did have some drawbacks, but it rarely made a big difference. Some of the variants were even pure bonuses compared to base version. If you got the Obsidian Steed variant of the BAL-27, you pretty much win Advanced Warfare, as it was pretty much the most powerful weapon in any CoD ever.

There was also no way to make guns in AW like IW has. IW's system is actually better then AW's because there is a way to earn the guns without loot boxes.

old

OP said:
The problem here is that you need to collect a currency called "Salvage" to craft. From my beta playtime I got around 7-10 salvage per game. To craft the best (Epic) version of a gun, you need 5840 salvage (200, then 540, then 1600, then 3500). Assuming you get 10 salvage every game (and that's probably not happening), you need to play 584 games. A COD match takes anywhere between 7-15 minutes to complete - assuming 10 minutes per game, that's 97 hours to complete one gun.

That type of time sink sounds like something from LoL and runes or ISK farming. But that's a game that people play for years. This is COD. Not to be crass but this game will be obsolete next November when the next installment drops.

I can't justify spending that kind of time investment to maximize a game when that game has a defacto expiration date and that date isn't even that far away.

Kibbles

I feel disgusted for buying this shit but I really want to play MWR with friends so here I am used and abused. Got the legacy for $59 on amazon (must've been on sale at some point before + prime discount), probably the cheapest way to get MWR for a long time so Im not cancelling.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
They also gave 120 keys, which is obviously a beta thing and is 100% not happening in the final game. That lets you open 8 dollars of rare drops. There is a login bonus system, but the numbers of items you get is unknown.

The number for a lot of things has changed from the beta. Salvage gain rate is one. I think we should wait and see before decrying the system as an unreasonable grind. I'm not that optimistic, but salvage rates were a frequent complaint during the beta.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I still don't understand why so many people defended the practice in those Overwatch threads from way back.

they're just sprays and skins and stuff

the second someone gets an "ult reduction time" boost i'll be pissed

Because they are completely cosmetic and have no influence on the game and you get plenty of items just for playing?

And also result in every update for the game being free

Kalentan

While I'm not a fan of the system, I feel like people are overthinking the value the variants give. A really good level 1 player with the default version of a gun is still going to kick the ass of a Master Perstiege player with a Legendary variant cause having those doesn't make them better. It wasn't hard for me to come in first place in the beta with just the standard guns.

Cause the TTK ensures that every gun is still viable.

ViciousDS

Banned
With the alternatives on the market now people really don't need to buy this game anymore.

But they still will :(

What alternatives exactly? Titan fall is the only one that feels like CoD and it still is futuristic. We have no boots to ground multiplayer game that is as good as CoD. People may argue battlefield.....but it's completely different in terms of gameplay and feel.

God I hope they remaster the first black ops.....then I can say adios lol

Menitta

Friendship ended with Call of Duty, Titanfall is my friend now

bestfriend.jpg

I'm so bad at photoshop.

Kallor

they're just sprays and skins and stuff

the second someone gets an "ult reduction time" boost i'll be pissed

That's how this shit started with COD too lol. And every year you had the same people shilling "Its just ____!" "You get free ones once in a while, sometimes"

Fuck these games. Titanfall 2 it is.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
That's how this shit started with COD too lol. And every year you had the same people shilling "Its just ____!" "You get free ones once in a while, sometimes"

Fuck these games. Titanfall 2 it is.

i have more faith in Blizz than i do EA

plus it helps that OW plays great and isnt yet another ADS shooter

Justinh

Its like they know the game is shit, so they're trying to get as much out of it as possible

I had the same feeling with the Modern Warfare remastered thing when it was revealed.

Wait, so you earn even less salvage per game than OP states and those were inflated beta values? Damn, I mean... I like it when games give you the opportunity to do this with non-realcashdollas, but I hate it when they draw the process out sooo much.

I was going to get Titanfall 2 anyways...

Top Bottom