• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAY2WIN: COD microtransactions keep getting worse - IW gives stat boosts to guns

Meh, if people want to buy a full price game and then spend extra money on crap like this,
they must have more money than sense.

But like any game with MT's, I just ignore them, I won't be buying any extra crap and the people who need these extra boosts are probably crap at the game anyway.

SliChillax

How can you blame Activision when you know people will buy them. Activision is in the business of making money. As long as there's dumb people to buy stuff like that, they'll include it in their game.

geordiemp

tl;dr version - COD IW has gun stat boosts, getting them takes an eternity unless you pay Activision money and get lucky. Remember to buy the season pass!

I agree, I have preordered every COD as long as I can remember with season passes for 2 consoles, I loved Bo3 but the COD points for guns really left a bad taste in my mouth after buying the season pass (twice no less !).

I felt hard done, especially with the Marshall 16 pistol shotgun, 1 slot use that I never got put me at a serious disadvantage in every single game. It grinded me.

This year I have not bought the game at all, there comes a line where its too much microshit, and Activision just crossed it with both feet.

BF1 for me this year. Paid for advantages in PVP is a no no, not going there ever again and voting with my wallet.

Activision just lost 2 copies of almost £ 100 season pass full games with their microshit.

Also the quickscoping looks damn retarted broken in this game, maybe it will get patched, but they lost me.

Catvoca

Banned
There was also no way to make guns in AW like IW has. IW's system is actually better then AW's because there is a way to earn the guns without loot boxes.

Yeah, it's actually slightly better than the AW stuff which was really, really messed up. At least with this, if one skin varient is OP you can craft it rather than having to try and get it in the blind boxes. It's still very shitty, especially when the Blops 3 stuff was just cosmetic.

Kalentan

Yeah, it's actually slightly better than the AW stuff which was really, really messed up. At least with this, if one skin varient is OP you can craft it rather than having to try and get it in the blind boxes. It's still very shitty, especially when the Blops 3 stuff was just cosmetic.

But BO3 stopped being cosmetic when they started to put an entire guns behind the boxes where there was no way to get them other than the boxes.

Shengar

How can you blame Activision when you know people will buy them. Activision is in the business of making money. As long as there's dumb people to buy stuff like that, they'll include it in their game.

There would be tipping point on their microtransaction. People are not that dumb and they will eventually realize how they trap in such a shithole of a game.

Kalentan

Wait did that happen? I stopped playing the game a few months after launch. That's crazy.

It started as just cosmetic weapon skins but then they eventually added a pistol, a rifle and so on.

The IW solution isn't perfect, but I like the fact that you can still earn the guns through play rather than having to merely roll the dice of the loot boxes.

The games current TTK (at least from the beta), does balance things in a weird way. Cause while yes there are variants with nice perks, you can still easily be competitive with the basic variants. Hell, the 'classic' guns you get have no variants.

When the first details came out about Star Wars Battlefront's currency and unlock system I thought right away it was an avenue to microtransactions. To my pleasant surprise, the game never added them.

There would be tipping point on their microtransaction. People are not that dumb and they will eventually realize how they trap in such a shithole of a game.

Yeah, but this is COD. Activision can afford to this. At this point you know what your getting yourself into.

Really getting the feeling this is the start of the decline for this game. It will still hit number 1, but the direction of the franchise is going to start rapidly descending.

Catvoca

Banned
Really getting the feeling this is the start of the decline for this game. It will still hit number 1, but the direction of the franchise is going to start rapidly descending.
Eh, we'll see how this turns out but all it takes is another good COD game and I think people will be back on board. If this years and next years game sucks though? Then i'm with you.

I have a feeling after this trilogy of futuristic games (AW, Black Ops 3 & IW) the next COD game might go in a different direction.

janoDX

honestly, this is no troll post, if you want to play a good COD just wait until the MW remaster is sold separately or just buy titanfall 2 and play the mode without titans, it's amazing, plus all MP maps will be free

They will not sell MW remaster separated because they are low on preorders of IW, that's why they released the 2nd phase of the beta the same day as BF1. They are desperate.

ironmang

honestly, this is no troll post, if you want to play a good COD just wait until the MW remaster is sold separately or just buy titanfall 2 and play the mode without titans, it's amazing, plus all MP maps will be free

Will Titanfall 2 have a community in a couple months though? 1 pretty much died immediately despite having so much hype surrounding it.

VariantX

Will Titanfall 2 have a community in a couple months though? 1 pretty much died immediately despite having so much hype surrounding it.

Its probably got a much better chance succeeding than it did starting out releasing on 2 platforms, one of which alot of gamers were pissed off at thanks to terrible PR leading up to its launch. The main criticisms people had with the first one was there being no singleplayer content and there wasn't much to unlock in the MP. At least one of those things have been fully addressed, I cant speak on the other since I won't be picking up any other games this year besides FFXV next month.

They will not sell MW remaster separated because they are low on preorders of IW, that's why they released the 2nd phase of the beta the same day as BF1. They are desperate.

Unlikely, if I was a betting man, I'd put money on COD wiping the floor with most games this year in sales, like normal. CoD is just so massive, despite what some people want to believe.

After IW sales die down, they will sell the remaster separate, give it a few months after Christmas. They will sell a ton of copies too, probably at nearly full price because they know people want it.

Ambient80

Wait did that happen? I stopped playing the game a few months after launch. That's crazy.

At or just after the first DLC. There was a pistol added that was basically one shot one kill. A hand cannon, essentially. Granted it had a long reload time but still. Drift0r had multiple videos after he got it in a (unpaid) supply drop just smoking the competition. Some of the guns were hot garbage but a lot of them were game changing and "required" to do well.

Still not as bad as AW, imo, since that was strictly luck and was that way from the very beginning (although trolling people with that musket-esque shotgun was lol). If there is an AW 2 I hope that they at least ban variants from competitive play.

Saty

Because they are completely cosmetic and have no influence on the game and you get plenty of items just for playing?

Doesn't change the fact Blizzard is exploiting players who do like the cosmetics and wish to get some but are refused to do so. Blizzard will only accept your good money if you buy random blind loot boxes because you'll have to buy them again and again to hopefully get what you want.

Blizzard doesn't offer trading, doesn't offer direct item purchase, doesn't offer purchase of the currency because they'd rather bleed the players dry and direct them towards only buying random boxes. Blizzard chose greed over a fair business model.

RedRum

Banned
BO3 was amazingly fun in the early part of the game's life. I don't remember specifically when they started putting new guns in the crates (I do remember the melee weapons I didn't give a shit about). I think they did this in the last throes of its life to get more money. Anyway, we had a significantly balanced game for the majority of the game's life.

As for IW, this stat boosting gun shit is vomit inducing. I love CoD but I chose to go with Titanfall this year. I am hoping I can hold out, because I really want to play Modern Warfare and for them to attach the game that everyone really wants to play, behind another full priced shitty game, shows you how scummy they are.

I like Pilot Vs. Pilot but it's not a good alternative to COD. That game mode will be forgotten after a couple of months.

styl3s

This is why people should go and buy Titanfall 2!
If Titanfall's PC community didn't die so quickly i would buy it.

Don't MMORPGS have stuff like this?
You can pay money for XP and Rep gain boost but as far as i know you can't spend real money to get better PVP gear which this argument is about, getting advantages over people by spending real money.

It's disgusting. You wanna nickle and dime people for XP boost, cosmetics, mounts, rep gain etc i don't give a shit but when it comes to the competitive side if someone can spend money to get an advantage over me i won't support your product but it doesn't matter because this game is still going to sell gangbusters just like people will continue to pre-order broken games.

styl3s

I've seen so many people with that attitude that if everyone who had it bought the game, there would be no issue with the PC community.
So i should spend $60 on Titanfall 2 in the hopes i don't get burned like with Titanfall? Which i spent $60 on? Where's the logic in that? I can spend $60 on Battlefield which i did and there will be a large community playing that game 5 years from now let me know how well Titanfall 2 is doing 5 months from now.

I'll get it on PS4 during Black Friday.

I am only getting COD IW for the campaign and MW4 remaster. But this is getting pretty bad. Titanfall 2 is the much superior futuristic FPS that does not need mictotransactions and has free DLC.

Schlorgan

I feel disgusted for buying this shit but I really want to play MWR with friends so here I am used and abused. Got the legacy for $59 on amazon (must've been on sale at some point before + prime discount), probably the cheapest way to get MWR for a long time so Im not cancelling.

Would you say you're...
Damaged?

Kade

I've seen so many people with that attitude that if everyone who had it bought the game, there would be no issue with the PC community.

Yeah pretty much. It's a self fulfilling prophecy but it's not the consumer's fault. The first one did die pretty fast which rightfully has people worried.

kiguel182

The fact that they put guns on the supply drops months after the game launched really soared me on Black Ops 3.

I'm not spending money on this stuff anymore.

I've been put off CoD more and more because of loot boxes and better guns that can be in them. Give me a clear unlock path any day and not one that will take at least 97 hours to get 1 gun. I only bought Blops3 because it was on sale and the loot system sucks. I have no desire to buy another CoD. I think I'll stick with BF from now on

Top Bottom