• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 1.2.0 released! Emulate your PS2 games at high resolution and frame rates.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I was able to get the program running VF4EVO but it's performing like butt. Even though the displayed fps is ~40, it's experiencing heavy slowdown, as though the game were running at halfspeed.

Any recommendations on how I can tweak the settings so that the emulator runs more smoothly? My system specs below (quote post)

Processor: AMD FX-8120 3.1GHz Pr...HDMI Rear USB: 6 x USB 2.0 RJ45: 1 port

Grief.exe

AMD Processors aren't the best for emulation, and PCSX2 needs a beefy processor.

Generally, I google search and see what other people have had success with previously, or if there is one setting that brings the whole thing together.

In Video plugin settings
  • Turn down the custom scaling to 2x native
  • AA/Texture Filtering off
  • Test 8-bit textures off (I've had success with that in DQVIII)
Try turning all of these off/down, then turning some on and experimenting what gives you the best performance.

Turn on Speedhacks in Emulation settings and see if that get any success with that.

Awakened

I was able to get the program running VF4EVO but it's performing like butt. Even though the displayed fps is ~40, it's experiencing heavy slowdown, as though the game were running at halfspeed.

Any recommendations on how I can tweak the settings so that the emulator runs more smoothly? My system specs below (quote post)
VF4 was one of the games I tried that seemed hard to run, much like Steambot Chronicles, ZOE2 and MGS3 on my i5 2500k running at stock 3.3ghz. There's a tip on the PCSX2 wiki page for that game that mentions turning on the normal recommended speedhacks and also changing the EE cyclerate to 3 to get more FPS.

Grief.exe

VF4 was one of the games I tried that seemed hard to run, much like Steambot Chronicles, ZOE2 and MGS3 on my i5 2500k running at stock 3.3ghz. There's a tip on the PCSX2 wiki page for that game that mentions turning on the normal recommended speedhacks and also changing the EE cyclerate to 3 to get more FPS.

Overclocking that 2500k will pay dividends in emulation performance.

Awakened

Overclocking that 2500k will pay dividends in emulation performance.
I should try that again sometime. The last time I tried it was going up to 4ghz to see if it fixed a stuttering problem with Xenoblade on Dolphin. It didn't, but I think that was a separate issue with Vsync or possibly having my Windows power plan setting on Balanced instead of High Performance. That seems to limit CPU power in certain emulators.

Can anyone recommend a good ps2 rpg that runs well on pcsx2, preferably something with combat as good as or better than ffX

Already played through ff12 ages ago , been wanting to play a decent rpg for ages but there's nothing on vita or ps3 or pc worth playing

Grief.exe

Can anyone recommend a good ps2 rpg that runs well on pcsx2, preferably something with combat as good as or better than ffX

Already played through ff12 ages ago , been wanting to play a decent rpg for ages but there's nothing on vita or ps3 or pc worth playing

DQVIII
KH 1/2
Rogue Galaxy
Dark Cloud 2
Xenosaga 1/2/3
Persona 3/4

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I feel my graphics card is better than it should be. I bought this tower thinking I'd have to replace the graphics card, but it had fantastic other things (fairly good processor, great cooling system), so was going to replace it... AMD Raedon 7000 series... But it's been far better than I ever expected. I've had absolutely no problems with any game, can still run modern games at 60fps no problem, and emulation over things like PCSX2, nullDC, Dolphin, and the like have also been flawless. I usually hear AMD graphic cards have problems with this and that, but for some reason this particular card on this particular computer has not failed me yet, and I consume a stupid amount of games on it.

appaws

Banned
I feel my graphics card is better than it should be. I bought this tower thinking I'd have to replace the graphics card, but it had fantastic other things (fairly good processor, great cooling system), so was going to replace it... AMD Raedon 7000 series... But it's been far better than I ever expected. I've had absolutely no problems with any game, can still run modern games at 60fps no problem, and emulation over things like PCSX2, nullDC, Dolphin, and the like have also been flawless. I usually hear AMD graphic cards have problems with this and that, but for some reason this particular card on this particular computer has not failed me yet, and I consume a stupid amount of games on it.

AMD gpus are fine. Most of the internet noise about problems with "this or that" is just either old information or just anecdotes from a person who had one problem or another.

Glad to hear that everything is working out for you! But you never say which card you have...? The 7000 series is a pretty big range in terms of performance.

I just turned this on with FF X. At first I was thinking "well, this looks exactly how I remember it" and then I tinkered with the graphical options and wow, all I can say is that I'm impressed.

I get a slight bit of slowdown, but I kind of checked every option. What's the best visual option to turn off while retaining the high fidelity? Using a USB Ps2 controller adapter makes this feel really natural!

Though I did try running WA 3 and got some weird artifacts on screen. FF X seems flawless.

KiraXD

Just snagged a Radeon R7 260x 2gb GDDR5 OC graphics card... im really really excited to check out my PS2 collection again with this... hope this card is up for the task... becuase this emulator looks sooo effing awesome!

Rougue Galaxy, FFXII, DQVIII, SMT Nocturne, Devil Summoner... just sitting on my shelf crying (both my Ps2 and BC Ps3 bit the dust)

Zoggy

amd 6300 and a 270x and i have had no problem running my ps2 games in 1080p

final fantasy 12 finally unlocking its true potential. it seems like so many of the textures were built for an hd console. it looks better than xenoblade running on dolphin at times

SparkTR

Just snagged a Radeon R7 260x 2gb GDDR5 OC graphics card... im really really excited to check out my PS2 collection again with this... hope this card is up for the task... becuase this emulator looks sooo effing awesome!

Rougue Galaxy, FFXII, DQVIII, SMT Nocturne, Devil Summoner... just sitting on my shelf crying (both my Ps2 and BC Ps3 bit the dust)

Emulators rely much more on your CPU, so make sure that's overclocked as well.

I'm just using an old dual core with a 560 TI 1GB. XII runs like a dream though there is -occasional- voice slowdown which is more hilarious than anything. I quit FF XII because I never beat the boss in
Raithwall's Tomb
, sadly it's because I refused to use the gambit system. This time around I've embraced it and it's a completely different game I'm actually enjoying. The really nice graphics don't hurt. I'm amazed how good it looks.

Actually there is an odd bug with shadows. Sometimes characters seem to have huge square shadows. Other times it seems like shadows effect a whole texture area nearby. It's rare and hardly that disturbing.

Pachimari

First I'm just gonna follow their starter guide. :)

But I didn't know about those links, so thank you.

I can't wait to get started on PS2 games again. But do we have an idea of how many PS2 games works? Maybe there's a list on that Wiki? I'm gonna check it out anyway.

Stupid question that's probably been answered a million times over, but I'm putting together computer components, and can't quite decide on what cpu to gun for. Since emulation is primarily cpu bound (to my knowledge), is the I7 4770 overkill? Would an I5 be just fine?

According to the recommended, both are correct, but from people who use this and dolphin, any recommendation?

Just briefly skimming, and I realize my question is stupid lol.

Ruruja

Has a fix ever been found for Rule of Rose's FMV issue (no picture, only sound)?

Try running FMVs in software mode (it's an option in the settings).

Stupid question that's probably been answered a million times over, but I'm putting together computer components, and can't quite decide on what cpu to gun for. Since emulation is primarily cpu bound (to my knowledge), is the I7 4770 overkill? Would an I5 be just fine?

According to the recommended, both are correct, but from people who use this and dolphin, any recommendation?

i5 will be fine, Intel is better than AMD when it comes to PS2 emulation too, so you're making the right choice there.

Try running FMVs in software mode (it's an option in the settings).

i5 will be fine, Intel is better than AMD when it comes to PS2 emulation too, so you're making the right choice there.

Thank you kindly! I love amd to pieces, but Intel always seems to have it together quite a bit more.

PirateKing

Does anyone have any idea why 1.2.1, in some games it doesn't recognise my Dual Shock 3? All other emulators work fine, even 1.0.0 works perfectly with all games. Anyone with the same problem?

Sora_N

I haven't used this that much but I wanted to see how Xenosaga looks, it doesn't look that good so far, or I did something wrong with the settings the last time I touched PCSX2.

Is there a way to make it Widescreen too? It's not really working lol.

EDIT: I think the FMVs must not scale up well, game looks pretty damn good actually. Since I can actually pause/save anytime, I think I can actually finish some PS2 games if I get some extra time. :) Pretty awesome.

xenosaga_zpsdb109a5e.png

Thanks to OP for the thread and helpful guide. Downlaoded the emulator yesterday, mostly just for novelty after spotting the thread, to see how my pc handled things. Got Final Fantasy XII working pretty flawlessly at 3x scaling and at 60fps. Have FXAA and edge AA on but higher scaling or MSAA slows things down a bit so I'm happy where I'm at right now. gtx 770 2gb, 8gb ram & i5-4670 for anyone wondering.

Grief.exe

I haven't used this that much but I wanted to see how Xenosaga looks, it doesn't look that good so far, or I did something wrong with the settings the last time I touched PCSX2.

EDIT: I think the FMVs must not scale up well, game looks pretty damn good actually. Since I can actually pause/save anytime, I think I can actually finish some PS2 games if I get some extra time. :) Pretty awesome.

xenosaga_zpsdb109a5e.png

If they are pre-rendered videos, then the emulator can't natively render them. They just upscale from 480p to your native resolution, so they can look pretty bad.

I love real-time cutscenes, such as Resident Evil 4. That means the game will permanently scale forward with hardware.

This is from the recent Steam version of RE4, but I was running this at 1440p/60 FPS

Thanks to OP for the thread and helpful guide. Downlaoded the emulator yesterday, mostly just for novelty after spotting the thread, to see how my pc handled things. Got Final Fantasy XII working pretty flawlessly at 3x scaling and at 60fps. Have FXAA and edge AA on but higher scaling or MSAA slows things down a bit so I'm happy where I'm at right now. gtx 770 2gb, 8gb ram & i5-4670 for anyone wondering.

No problem! Have fun!

Overclock that i5 if you haven't already if you want to get better performance.

Silky

Banned
I really need to man up, hype up and give an honest shot to FFXII.

I've been avoiding it (playing other games that felt more important to me) since a while, yet I'm playing Bravely Default and DK atm. Soon, I guess. :/

Is Ape Escape 3 good? I loved the first one and never player the sequel.

YES. Like 2, it simply improves on the AE1 forumla and adds more 'puzzles' to the monkey catching. The costume mechanic is pretty neat too.

Overclock that i5 if you haven't already if you want to get better performance.

Haha I would man but I foolishly bought the locked version! I have one of those node 304 cases and figured I'd never want to overclock in a case that size, but obviously, options are nice and it's bothered me even since.

Grief.exe

Haha I would man but I foolishly bought the locked version! I have one of those node 304 cases and figured I'd never want to overclock in a case that size, but obviously, options are nice and it's bothered me even since.

No problem, something you learned for your next build then.

Teletraan1

Banned

xenosaga_zpsdb109a5e.png

Xenosaga 1 and 3 have the most pre-rendered cut scenes if I remember correctly with a good amount at the end of 3. Nothing you can do about them. They simply will look bad. The actual game itself looks pretty nice cranked up with this emulator though. I have played through the series a few times. Avoid the first save when you get out of the encephilon (sp?) and the save on the elsa, it crashes the emu back to the PS2 bios. Well unless that is fixed with a newer build.

Grief.exe

Xenosaga 1 and 3 have the most pre-rendered cut scenes if I remember correctly with a good amount at the end of 3. Nothing you can do about them. They simply will look bad. The actual game itself looks pretty nice cranked up with this emulator though. I have played through the series a few times. Avoid the first save when you get out of the encephilon (sp?) and the save on the elsa, it crashes the emu back to the PS2 bios. Well unless that is fixed with a newer build.

Someone in the Steam thread has played the entire series recently via emulator and didn't report any problems.

If you are crashing at one point, hit F9 to go to software render mode.

Sora_N

AMD Processors aren't the best for emulation, and PCSX2 needs a beefy processor.

Generally, I google search and see what other people have had success with previously, or if there is one setting that brings the whole thing together.

In Video plugin settings
  • Turn down the custom scaling to 2x native
  • AA/Texture Filtering off
  • Test 8-bit textures off (I've had success with that in DQVIII)
Try turning all of these off/down, then turning some on and experimenting what gives you the best performance.

Turn on Speedhacks in Emulation settings and see if that get any success with that.

Do you mean the very first save in general? I saved after the first fight with the mech and stopped. I guess I'll have to check when I get home

Sora_N

Original, though I'm not really sure of the differences.

Original trilogy is not as nice graphically. I know where my .hack//1 is so I can dig it out (I'm curious too to see how it looks)

Is there a way to run from DVD drive? For Xenosaga I had to rip the ISO, couldn't figure out how to use the disc.

EDIT: Figured it out!

Sora_N

Sorry don't have a better host, but the game looks pretty good actually with emulation.

hack_menu_zpsadd8d6c0.png

The menu for the game's 'game' looks better and sharper.

hack_1_zps04481e5e.png

hack_2_zpsbbc707d3.png

Don't think I have the heart to play the game anymore right now but glad to see it looks pretty good lol.

Has anyone been able to emulate these two without graphical issues?
Timesplitters 2 runs at full speed, but with a couple of graphical issues (area surrounding the scope while zoomed in with the sniper rifle isn't rendered properly and certain lights are visible through walls.) Timesplitters 3 has some artifacts in the lower half of the screen. Could it be something wrong with the converted ISO causing the artifacts?
Both runs at full speed at 3x native res with an i5 2500k @ 4.3GHz and a 660Ti.

The Gamecube versions are free from graphical issues, but instead they don't run at full speed on Dolphin.

Timesplitters 3 has some artifacts in the lower half of the screen. Could it be something wrong with the converted ISO causing the artifacts?

Very unlikely. But of course you could just pop in your DVD and run it with the CDVD plugin...

According to the wiki page the errors in TS2 might only be present in the PAL version.

RangerBAD

So I got a new computer about a month back. My other one died and I had to sort of get what I could. I'm not really good at putting computers together for a lot of reason, so I bought a pre-built one. I was trying to get one with a proper gfx card, but I had limited choices and couldn't find one. Anyhow, long story short I have an onboard card and I was wondering if it could run PCSX2. I have Intel HD Graphics 4600. I meet the rest of the requirements just fine. Anyone have any idea if that will keep me from running it on my PC?

Oemenia

Banned
Anyone tested Ridge Racer V or Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War yet?
Yeah I have, you're going to have to run them both in software mode as otherwise they are broken. I'm not sure about AC5 but RRV has a widescreen patch which does help.
I have Intel HD Graphics 4600. I meet the rest of the requirements just fine. Anyone have any idea if that will keep me from running it on my PC?
The GPU is decent for PC games but it's bandwidth starved from I've heard. You'll be fine at native res and if you're lucky you can go up to 2x internal res. But yeah CPU is what counts most so even if you have a good enough GPU it won't matter.

Tried this then other day with Spider Man 2 on my gaming laptop and the game didn't play nice with direct hardware emulation, I read on the emulator wiki that it only runs with software emulation.

I'll try some more games later on but this was pretty cool. I think I'll need to OC my CPU though.

Top Bottom