• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 1.2.0 released! Emulate your PS2 games at high resolution and frame rates.

Sentenza

I hope the PC port that was discussed on Capcom Unity recently comes to fruition. I know its a massive outside chance
Care to point some source? Not that I don't believe you, but just to check of what kind of discussion we are talking about.

lem0n

Hey everyone. My girlfriend installed PCSX2 to my rig today while I was out, she wanted to play Shadow of the Colossus. We're trying to get the framerate to be stable and smooth. It seems pretty OK, but sometimes the game freezes up while the disc is accessed. I hear it load and about a half a second or so it continues. Is this something we can fix? Thanks

Hey everyone. My girlfriend installed PCSX2 to my rig today while I was out, she wanted to play Shadow of the Colossus. We're trying to get the framerate to be stable and smooth. It seems pretty OK, but sometimes the game freezes up while the disc is accessed. I hear it load and about a half a second or so it continues. Is this something we can fix? Thanks

You should create an image file of your DVD. Should be supported by most disc burning/mounting software (e.g. ImgBurn).

PirateKing

I downloaded 1.2.1 but for some reason the games don't recognise the buttons. It's mapped and everything, in fact, previous version of PCSX2 and Dolphin work fine, but 1.2.1 doesn't. Is it a glitch?

lem0n

And hollllyyyyyy moly what a difference. Thanks for the tip, guys. Kingdom Hearts looks fantastic, and runs at a steady 60fps. SotC is next and I hope running off the .iso has the same effect!

UrbanRats

Finally decided to try this.

Works good so far, but the only problem is, my right thumbstick is stuck pointing up, for some reason which, as you may imagine, makes it impossible to play most games.

I tried rebinding keys, rebooting and whatever came to mind.

I'm using a ps3 pad with motioninjoy + betterds3, btw, as at the moment i don't have a 360 pad handy.

I could just wait to get one (360 pad), but i was wondering if it's maybe something obvious.
Besides, i'm not sure getting a 360 pad would even fix it.

Picked up a copy of Siren 2 and wow, it actually works. After so many years, I had given up actually playing this game in English (I did play the Asian version though). Anyone have a good configuration for the game for optimal visuals? Hardware mode looks nicer when it works but also has visual glitches whereas software mode doesn't look as nice but I haven't had any problems with it.

UrbanRats

Finally decided to try this.

Works good so far, but the only problem is, my right thumbstick is stuck pointing up, for some reason which, as you may imagine, makes it impossible to play most games.

I tried rebinding keys, rebooting and whatever came to mind.

I'm using a ps3 pad with motioninjoy + betterds3, btw, as at the moment i don't have a 360 pad handy.

I could just wait to get one (360 pad), but i was wondering if it's maybe something obvious.
Besides, i'm not sure getting a 360 pad would even fix it.
So, for the record:

The way i fixed this is, i kept remapping the right stick until it stopped doing this.
Yes, i kept doing the same thing until at some point it worked.. for some reson.. what was the definition of insanity again?

create .iso file from your DVD disc, it is a bad idea to play directly from disc on emulator.

dreamfall

It's sad that I just keep booting up PCSX2 to play Here Comes The Pain ! Man, we really need a proper wrestling game on the PC. Here's hoping Wishnowski's project is actually great.

Grief.exe

Games should never have prerendered cut scenes

INcp5fQ.jpg

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers emulated on PCSX2

This is one of the few times I have emulated a game and just disgusted at the way it looks. It just looks horrible, and I am usually just fine with older games.
The IQ and textures are perfectly fine, and I don't even have AA or AF on in these shots. Its mainly the characters and art style that are so egregious.

Gameplay is still fun. Scheduling a time with my friend this weekend so we can play.

KiteGr

A use cracked ps2 now costs barely 40€.
Why bother with emulator that might glitch/crash 5 hours unto a game?

nded

Hardware breaks and eventually goes out of production. Emulation is very much about game preservation (and, yes, it can enable piracy).

wrowa

What am I supposed to do with a cracked PS2? This is not about piracy, but about playing PS2 games in HD and with better framerates...

Grief.exe

Hardware breaks and eventually goes out of production. Emulation is equal parts game preservation and piracy.

And by that you mean no piracy at all?

Why would I pirate my games when I can play them legitimately at high resolutions with various effects to clean up the image (AA,AF, etc) and my choice of controller?

You don't get visuals like these out of a base PS2, in fact the image quality is significantly worse as the image will be stretched on modern televisions.

nded

Games should never have prerendered cut scenes

Some of the better widescreen patches I've used actually took prerendered cutscenes into account and letterboxed/zoomed them so they're displayed properly.

And by that you mean no piracy at all?

Ah sorry. Most other places I frequent generally take a dim view of emulation and whenever I mention game preservation I usually like to pre-empt the inevitable "but what about piracy, hmm?" stuff by at least mentioning it.

Tensketch

I remember messing around with this a few years ago and getting my copy of Resi Outbreak on there looking amazing in HD. Made me want a HD port. I then turned it off because I was just too sad to continue.

I'll probably jump back in and play Shadow of the Colossus that I've had for years and never played.

Actually, does that game run well on there? Does it look as good as the PS3 port?

Tapejara

So, I'm thinking if setting this up to play through Drakengard before Drakengard 3 comes out.

However, I thought I read somewhere on the website that you need a homebrew'd PS2 to rip the BIOS files - otherwise you can't run PCSX2 properly. Is this true? I don't have access to a PS2 but I really want to clear through some of my backlog.

nded

So, I'm thinking if setting this up to play through Drakengard before Drakengard 3 comes out.

However, I thought I read somewhere on the website that you need a homebrew'd PS2 to rip the BIOS files - otherwise you can't run PCSX2 properly. Is this true? I don't have access to a PS2 but I really want to clear through some of my backlog.

You can rip right from the DVD drive on your computer.

Edit: Oh, sorry, you mean the BIOS file. Yeah, you'll need to do stuff to your PS2.

Grief.exe

Ah sorry. Most other places I frequent generally take a dim view of emulation and whenever I mention game preservation I usually like to pre-empt the inevitable "but what about piracy, hmm?" stuff by at least mentioning it.

I personally acquire the actual games before I venture into emulation. Its generally not that hard or expensive with Craigslist and Gamestop's 75% off sale.

My main issue right now is finding copies of the Kingdom Hearts series.

Almighty

The internet annoys me with how overzealous they get about piracy sometimes.

Anyway all these screen shots make me even more excited for when I get my new PC. It will be nice to play PS2 games that look as nice as these do. Playing my old PS2 on my HDTV hurts my eyes.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

PS2 can't play games in 3D.

PS2 can't play 30fps games in 60fps.

PS2 can't render at 1080p, 1440p, 4K with AA on top of it as well as Ansiotropic Filtering.

PS2 can't properly render 4:3 games at 16:9 without stretching.

PS2 can't play games with an Xbox 360 gamepad.

You bother with an emulator because it offers something the native hardware cannot. That's the entire point.

Grief.exe

Its a moral grey area as the original developers don't see a dime from your sale

Legally, you are barred from doing it and discussing such matters on GAF puts the forum at risk. Just ignore the issue and go about your day.

So to play 4:3 games in 16:9, do you need game-specific fixes, or is it a setting in the general configurations of PCSX2?

The latest version of PCSX2 actually bundles all the widescreen hacks into the base game! Just run your game and the system will load the specific hack.

iavi

Why would I pirate my games when I can play them legitimately at high resolutions with various effects to clean up the image (AA,AF, etc) and my choice of controller?

You don't get visuals like these out of a base PS2, in fact the image quality is significantly worse as the image will be stretched on modern televisions.

What game is this?

angrylamp

Neo Member
Valkyria Profile 2 - adds that to my backlog. I have the game however not even touch it after spending enough on it... sighs

Almighty

Valkyria Profile 2 - adds that to my backlog. I have the game however not even touch it after spending enough on it... sighs

Yeah. I actually have a copy right in front of me that i bought when it was new, but barely played. Maybe once I get my new PC that will be the first game I fire up.

angrylamp

Neo Member
I have a horrible feeling that Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria is one the games that is out of the case somewhere in a moving box, or in a pile of discs.

I sure hope it isn't scratched up...

CRAP....

UrbanRats

The latest version of PCSX2 actually bundles all the widescreen hacks into the base game! Just run your game and the system will load the specific hack.

That's actually great.

Is there a way to see if a certain game does or doesn't have 16:9 available? Or does the emulator just alter the window accordingly?

Grief.exe

That's actually great.

Is there a way to see if a certain game does or doesn't have 16:9 available? Or does the emulator just alter the window accordingly?

I'm not all that familiar with PCSX2 to be honest with you, just saw the update and posted this thread. Have been playing around with it a bit the past month or so though, and have used it a few times in the past.

For example, when I was loading Two Towers last night the game said it did not load a widescreen patch, but the game was still rendering natively at 16:9 without stretching. With the exception of UI Elements and pre-rendered cut scenes as those have to be stretched.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm not all that familiar with PCSX2 to be honest with you, just saw the update and posted this thread. Have been playing around with it a bit the past month or so though, and have used it a few times in the past.

For example, when I was loading Two Towers last night the game said it did not load a widescreen patch, but the game was still rendering natively at 16:9 without stretching. With the exception of UI Elements and pre-rendered cut scenes as those have to be stretched.

You have to click enable widescreen patches in the File dropdown normally.

EGM92

Hey guys, I'm trying to finish up some of my PS2 backlog (FFXII, Odin Sphere and Xenosaga 3).

I'm trying to get saves from my PS2 memory card and I have a PS2 to PS3 memory card adapter. I've also installed the drivers for it on my PC. Is there software to access the saves? Is it even possible to get saves from the MC to PC?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
before I dive in, how easy is this to do for a layman? I've got VF4:EVO and I'd love to rip it and play it on PC but idk how complicated that'll be.

/edit/ i'm now creating an Image.iso file from VF4EVO with ImgBurn. Is this right?

/edit/ oh lord getting the PS2 bios sounds tricky. I need to run something on the PS2 itself? it needs to be homebrew enabled? whaaa

Maybe I won't be able to do this :<

I've been enjoying this thread and wanted to share and post screenshots of random, more obscure PS2 titles.

I'm running PCSX2 SVN build r5882 on an i5 2500k CPU OC'd to 4.3GHz with an EVGA GTX 560 Ti 448 video card. My display is 1920 x 1080, and with one exception (Urban Reign) I've got the PS2 resolution set to 3x native. Depending on the game, I had to turn on/off various video features and hacks. In general, no speedhacks were turned on apart from the program defaults. Audio is also set to DirectSound, as I've had too many crashes with XAudio 2 for whatever reason.

The games below are very playable on my rig; I got further in Devil Kings than I did when I had originally played the game on my old PS2.

Really digging how games look upscaled, and will probably take more screenshots of my collection in the future.
These look like fun games I've mostly never heard of. Are they actually good? Which ones can you recommend the most so I can try tracking down some copies.

Top Bottom