• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 1.2.0 released! Emulate your PS2 games at high resolution and frame rates.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah, between FF12 and KH2, square enix were pulling straight up voodoo out of the PS2 hardware.

9OT9bm3.png

YPivcEk.png

I said GOD DAMN.

Please Square . PLEASE PUT OUT AN HD RELEASE !!!

PS2 straight up couldn't justify FFXII, all the art and detail that goes unnoticed in the sub 480p resolution.

Gvaz

Banned
Yes those are the exact spots I have encountered the error. I proactively did a save state before attempting to save every time not knowing this and not wanting to get surprised. However if you require speed hacks to get the game running up to speed on your system those can be unreliable and cause the program itself to hang so its probably best to just avoid those 2 save locations as you said.

Grandia III looks great. There isn't much the emu can do for FMVs. They are often really jarring when they are pre-rendered using the in game models but everything is so low resolution compared to how you can make the game look now. Xenosaga III suffers the same fate. Game looks super crisp at 4-5x resolution and then a cutscene is native res.

You know for 3 I don't remember many prerendered cutscenes. The one at the start of the game isn't at least.

meanspartan

Just got it running and played some manhunt! But quick questions. I set my resolution in the configuration menu to 1920 x 1080, it was set at 640 480 default. Is that the right move? And set output at 4x native with AA on but everything else default. Any other changes I need?

With save states, can u rename them or do you just have to remember which game save is in each numbered slot?

Finally, freedom fighters and manhunt worked for me, but no dice on Jak X, what gives?

dab0ne

how do i boot from dvd? Thanks

Edit:
got it to boot...

What are some good configs? Its a little slow and I have no sound. Is it different for every game?

Playing MvC2

Teletraan1

Banned
You know for 3 I don't remember many prerendered cutscenes. The one at the start of the game isn't at least.

I think they start getting heavier during the latter part of the game. I think they just weren't able to wring enough out of the PS2 to do those scenes real time or it wasn't worth the time/money. I just replayed the last section of the game on this updated version to see if they were able to fix some of the stuff that bothered me with the older versions and really noticed it. The entire last section has a rather large amount of these low res cutscenes mixed in with in game stuff. Even with that said the battles looks amazing and moving around the environment is pretty much free of graphical errors outside of a shadow problem I cant seem to solve without introducing much worse. Shadow is fine 99% of the time but every so often it just elongates to the edge of the screen and then goes back to normal. lol strange bug.

I've played through practically the whole of Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and have had no problems at all. It doesn't even need speedhacks to run great.

Tried to play Shadow Hearts: Covenant,

The judgement ring was problematic. I experience a significant delay in button pressing using my DS3 which meant I missed a lot.

Also, when the judgement ring is displayed the background changes to a half map, half black screen??

Are these known issues with workarounds?

OmegaDL50

In case it hasn't been mentioned in this topic PCSX2 is more CPU dependent over GPU, while having a nice GPU is important I figure anyone who is having performance issues might want bring up what CPU they are using, I was a member / lurker over at ngemu for a period of time and most of the Mods and Support guys over there always brought up the importance of PCSX2 being more CPU bound then GPU bound.

Just figure for those striving to get this thing running perfectly should know this instead of trying to throw a monster GPU at the emulator like you would when maxing out the typical PC game, it's your CPU that is doing the bulk of work for PCSX2, so just keep that in mind.

Also for anyone interested in playing FFXII via PCSX2, you might be interested in checking out the FFXII IZJS translation patch which uses your legitimately owned copy of FFXII as a base for the text but has the gameplay improvements and tweaks that the International version has. Yes those wanting to experience FFXII for the first time would probably enjoy the game far more by jumping straight to the IZJS version from the get go. The improvements are worth it.

jediyoshi

I remember reading a while back about how they went for lower poly models but with much better textures; that was roughly the approach

The cutscenes can get away with it because they're directed and have cinematic models. Ingame there's pretty noticeable LOD with the environment and especially character models. I've always been curious as to whether someone could mod or write a cheat to disable the LOD transitions, I imagine a remaster would just keep the cinematic models always displayed.

Forgive me for my ignorance but has there ever been an Xbox equivalent to PCSX2? There are quite a few games I'd love to get running on my PC and I can't for the life of me find a proper Xbox emulator.

Forgive me for my ignorance but has there ever been an Xbox equivalent to PCSX2? There are quite a few games I'd love to get running on my PC and I can't for the life of me find a proper Xbox emulator.

Nope. There's been a couple of recent threads explaining that the xbox is hard to emulate and has little documentation to help programme an emulator.

I only tried Dark Alliance and no, there is still that green blocky glitch covering half of the screen.

I didn't mess up too much with the configs though, so if there's a fix I haven't found it yet.

Actually, in software mode and with a high memory patch (you can search the PCSX2 forum for details) You can get in game and play them reasonably well... but yeah they are still far from perfect.

Zafir

In case it hasn't been mentioned in this topic PCSX2 is more CPU dependent over GPU, while having a nice GPU is important I figure anyone who is having performance issues might want bring up what CPU they are using, I was a member / lurker over at ngemu for a period of time and most of the Mods and Support guys over there always brought up the importance of PCSX2 being more CPU bound then GPU bound.

Just figure for those striving to get this thing running perfectly should know this instead of trying to throw a monster GPU at the emulator like you would when maxing out the typical PC game, it's your CPU that is doing the bulk of work for PCSX2, so just keep that in mind.

Also for anyone interested in playing FFXII via PCSX2, you might be interested in checking out the FFXII IZJS translation patch which uses your legitimately owned copy of FFXII as a base for the text but has the gameplay improvements and tweaks that the International version has. Yes those wanting to experience FFXII for the first time would probably enjoy the game far more by jumping straight to the IZJS version from the get go. The improvements are worth it.
Yup, it also only supports 2 cores(3 with speedhacks), so clock rate is rather important as well.

Damaniel

Banned
Actually, in software mode and with a high memory patch (you can search the PCSX2 forum for details) You can get in game and play them reasonably well... but yeah they are still far from perfect.

Sadly that would defeat the goal of me playing the game in hi-res mode - I'd just play it on my PS2 otherwise.

If I remember, the PCSX2 team is aware of the general problem with Snowblind games, but fixing it would require a heavy rewrite of the code that manages the texture cache, among other things. Since it's not really a big priority and the amount of work is large, nobody is currently working on it (that I know of, at least).

If those games (and Burnout: Takedown) all worked perfectly without glitches and/or requiring software mode, I'd be very, very happy. For now, I'm just very happy - I've put dozens of hours into games running on PCSX2, and most of them have worked without many issues at all.

meanspartan

Is there any way to name the save states? So far I am just writing down which game goes with which save state on a notepad next to my pc.

Can anybody actually run Robot Alchemic Drive decently?

It's playable but even at the tutorial missions, it drops down to <30FPS getting the sound all stretched out and I'd say it's unplayable no matter what. Enabling frame-skipping will boost it to to <40FPS so it's still kinda useless.

I'm pretty sure my rig is capable to run this... FX-8320, HD7850, and 8GB ram... hell I can run a lot of new games at ultra settings, but for some reason it can't handle a PS2 lol.

Tried to play Shadow Hearts: Covenant,

The judgement ring was problematic. I experience a significant delay in button pressing using my DS3 which meant I missed a lot.

Also, when the judgement ring is displayed the background changes to a half map, half black screen??

Are these known issues with workarounds?

As with most problems, this is solved in software mode. Other then that it's not possible I'm afraid.

Haven't tried this since the first ratchet and clank brought my rig to its knees, hopefully I'll get some better performance with this release.

adamsapple

I remember reading a while back about how they went for lower poly models but with much better textures; that was roughly the approach

Yep, reportedly FFXII's characters use roughly HALF the polygon of FFX characters, but better quality textures.

Imagine a proper HD re-release, where they apply the highest quality character model to every part of the game, should be fucking fantasic.

As with most problems, this is solved in software mode. Other then that it's not possible I'm afraid.

Ah ok, thanks for the heads up.

Yep, reportedly FFXII's characters use roughly HALF the polygon of FFX characters, but better quality textures.

Imagine a proper HD re-release, where they apply the highest quality character model to every part of the game, should be fucking fantasic.

What I'd want most from a HD release of this game would be for the audio quality in the voice acting to be increased. For some reason all the voice acting in FFXII sounds like it was recorded on a mobile phone (maybe disc space limitations?)

adamsapple

Ah ok, thanks for the heads up.

What I'd want most from a HD release of this game would be for the audio quality in the voice acting to be increased. For some reason all the voice acting in FFXII sounds like it was recorded on a mobile phone (maybe disc space limitations?)

Yeah that's true, back on the PS2 it sounded like the voice acting was recorded separately in Mono to conserve disc space. Always did made me wonder how they managed to cram that large of a game into a single layer DVD.

Santini

I've been enjoying this thread and wanted to share and post screenshots of random, more obscure PS2 titles.

I'm running PCSX2 SVN build r5882 on an i5 2500k CPU OC'd to 4.3GHz with an EVGA GTX 560 Ti 448 video card. My display is 1920 x 1080, and with one exception (Urban Reign) I've got the PS2 resolution set to 3x native. Depending on the game, I had to turn on/off various video features and hacks. In general, no speedhacks were turned on apart from the program defaults. Audio is also set to DirectSound, as I've had too many crashes with XAudio 2 for whatever reason.

The games below are very playable on my rig; I got further in Devil Kings than I did when I had originally played the game on my old PS2.

Really digging how games look upscaled, and will probably take more screenshots of my collection in the future.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon
ZPnwQ4C.jpg
Spy Fiction
ocbaRAZ.jpg
Skygunner
Euzh4v5.jpg
Akira Psycho Ball
5GI2u88.jpg
Crimson Tears
JRYIQBH.jpg
Urban Reign
GPSkSe0.jpg
Devil Kings (the game formerly known as Sengoku Basara)
ZHetWEh.jpg

WfSH1oL.jpg
Rumble Roses
j705gLx.jpg
RAD - Robot Alchemic Drive
gEkNS73.jpg
Crimson Sea 2
4xXGH6l.jpg

Blades64

Banned

Yup, it also only supports 2 cores(3 with speedhacks), so clock rate is rather important as well.

So I have a Lenovo y510p with an i5 4200M. It's clocked at 2.5 GHz with Turbo up to to 3.1 GHz. GPU=Dual GTX 750m. I'm pretty sure the GPU is enough right but is that enough for the CPU?

I have PCSX2 installed already, but so far I've only tried X-Men Legends (which I imagine isn't a very demanding game), and it's very good.

I have other games locked up in my atic but I don't wanna go through the hassle of taking them down if PCSX2 won't run those. My games are:

Kingdom Hearts 1&2
Ratchet & Clank Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal, and Deadlock
Gradius V (I'm pretty sure this will run fine)
Jak & Daxter Series
Burnout Revenge
DMC3: Special Edition
God of War 1&2
Prince of Persia Sands of Time Series

And some others I can't remember off the top of my head.

RiZ III

I know one of the more interesting techniques they used was that all of the character was completely symmetrical. This meant only storing half of the character and the other half was generated on the fly. One of the things this allowed was having more detail for a character in the texture because the artist only needed to texture half of the character while using the full size texture.

You can actually see the symmetry in those pictures. All of the characters are mirrored vertically.

Ugh, forgot that PS emulators require BIOS, made a comment about having FFXII in "HD" on LameFAQs (edgy and creative, I know) and modded for "illegal activities". Reminded of how overly anal their rules are and why I stopped posting so much there. At least it's less bullshit than the time I got modded for the same thing for having a legal copy of Infamous 2 from that Sony/Subway contest before the street date. >_>

Miguel81

Excited I get to try DQ8 with this on my new i7 equipped laptop tomorrow.

begs the question: anyone playing with a DS4?

The DS4 works fine in directinput mode, but no rumble. The problem is that it lacks pressure sensitive buttons and certain games depend on them(MGS3).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
In the video plugin options, make sure texture filtering is enabled and a little below that there's an option for AF with a dropdown next to it. It's a recent addition though so you'll need a newer build

http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
Nice, seems really subtle, but I suppose it's dependent on the game.

Anyway, here's some KH2 and VP2 with some Edge AA and AF both down from 4092x4092.

Couldn't get VP2 looking right at 16:9, and performance was poor. :(

dreamfall

I should really try some other games. I've just been playing Here Comes the Pain nonstop- in love with it on PCSX2. Gah, gooooodness.

Next up will probably be an attempt with FFNY. I'm excited!

I'd take screens but they always look blurry in motion- maybe the 60FPS Fraps hates. It looks pretty glorious, minus the weird pixelated shadows.

Top Bottom