• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 1.2.0 released! Emulate your PS2 games at high resolution and frame rates.

Mesoian

Fired this up last night after watching Game Grumps and having the need to prove to myself that Katamari Damacy was never as hard as they were making it look (and yes, it's not, they're just bad at playing games while talking).

It's gorgeous. I love how good everything looks. I just need to figure out how to apply filtering now, those settings aren't as obvious as they are in Dolphin. I think it may be time for a Jak and Daxter replaythrough.

Orayn

Has anyone tried King's Field: The Ancient City with the latest build? I could really use some recommended settings. OpenGL seems to be the smoothest and clearest plugin, but it stated giving me some weird rendering glitches and I don't know why.

jediyoshi

Made some anisotropic filtering comparisons

Top is default texture filtering, bottom is 16x AF. The metal grate flooring clears up a lot.

2pdoEkC.jpg

aQWUYPU.gif

The gate and walls behind the gate become a lot more legible, the ground also smooths out.
I'm guessing the default texture filtering option is what's keeping the ground texture sharp with AF off.

Has anyone tried King's Field: The Ancient City with the latest build? I could really use some recommended settings. OpenGL seems to be the smoothest and clearest plugin, but it stated giving me some weird rendering glitches and I don't know why.

You really shouldn't be using OpenGL yet. It's made huge progress in the last year or so that Gregory has been working on it, but it's still very much incomplete. DX11 is still the best rendering method. If you're on linux you don't have a whole lot of choice as ZZogl is ancient, and GSDX in opengl is the only hardware accelerated mode supported.

So here's a problem I've had with PCSX2 for a long time now. Whenever I try to use the DX11 mode in GSDX my framerate is locked to 50fps. Can anyone think of a fix for that? I'm going to assume it has something to do with me being hooked up to a TV but it's super weird that it only happens in DX11.

Would love help if anyone has any ideas.

Edit: Hmm, seems like v-sync was the cause? I'll have to test some games and see if I'm going to get screen tearing with D3DOverrider turned off. If so then I'll have to stick with DX9 I guess.

Just downloaded the new version and for some reason, my wireless 360 controller will barely work in any games anymore even though it functions perfectly when I'm mapping the buttons. Just in game, I'll get to a start menu and I won't be able to do anything. Never had any issues with controllers in previous versions. Anyone have any tips? EDIT: seems to work okay when I boot in fast mode rather than full mode.

Try turning on the half-pixel offset hack from the settings of your graphics plugin. It's only available in hardware mode. It removed the ghosting in Yakuza 2 for me.
I wish it worked for me as well, I can't remove the ghosting even with half-pixel offset hack turned on

pcsx2.exe_dx11_201402vouns.jpg

pcsx2.exe_dx11_201402h7up4.jpg

Aerocrane

I wish it worked for me as well, I can't remove the ghosting even with half-pixel offset hack turned on

Using the preset scaling options with the half-pixel offset hack fixes the ghosting, but it causes another glitch to occur with two black lines being rendered. Using custom resolutions seems to have no effect on the ghosting, even with the hack enabled. The black lines may be too distracting for you, but there is no fix that gets rid of both issues so it becomes the case of picking one glitch over the other.

Xenus

The gate and walls behind the gate become a lot more legible, the ground also smooths out.
I'm guessing the default texture filtering option is what's keeping the ground texture sharp with AF off.

Yeah you lose a little of the sharpness but at the advantage of severely limiting texture crawl. From some of those puictures it looks like it isn't LODing the textures in the distance at all without AF.

Yeah you lose a little of the sharpness but at the advantage of severely limiting texture crawl. From some of those puictures it looks like it isn't LODing the textures in the distance at all without AF.

Indeed, most PS2 games don't use mip mapping which results in massive texture aliasing in the background (texture minification). This is already somewhat mitigated when using higher resolutions in PCSX2, but the problem is still there. I've seen much worse examples than the screenshots above (eg. in Shadow of the Colossus), and of course it's more noticeable in motion.

Varg

Banned
any idea why the emulator is running at ridiculous speeds? just booted up mega man x command mission and the game runs like im hitting the fast forward button lol.

Mesoian

any idea why the emulator is running at ridiculous speeds? just booted up mega man x command mission and the game runs like im hitting the fast forward button lol.

You'll probably have to enable a frame rate limiter, or vsync.

Probably because you accidentally pressed Tab which turns off the frame-limiter. Press it again to go back to normal.

Moobabe

Anyone tested out Ghosthunter, Primal or Mark of Kri yet? I found them on sale in a CEX near me but haven't picked them up yet.

Also - was Dark Chronicle (Dark Could 2) any good?

Santini

Anyone tested out Ghosthunter, Primal or Mark of Kri yet? I found them on sale in a CEX near me but haven't picked them up yet.

Also - was Dark Chronicle (Dark Could 2) any good?

Primal doesn't work in hardware mode, but does in software, albeit slowly.

Donos

Wanted to post it here but posted it by mistake in the other thread.

Major thanks everybody for this thread. Saw this two weeks ago after the update and thought, why not try it. Got back my FFXII copy from a friend which i gave him after i sold my PS2 a few years ago. Disc is still in good condition. Only played half through the game back then (around 70 hours) till i sold the PS2.

Installed pcsx2 and tried it reading from Disc which made problems. Made an ISO and now it runs without problems on my laptop (i5-430M, 8 GB RAM and Radeon Mobility HD 5650). Could crank up more resolution and extra settings but i'm fine atm.
It's really easy to use and set up.

Put every other game back till i finally finish this badboy. Sadly, i already fucked up the Zodiac spear requirement, doh. Remembered it to late and didn't want to restart again just for it.

The future is now: (going to try my Bluetooth adapter with my DS3 soon).
b3abb5a.jpg

solarus

Just ripped my old copy of viewtiful joe and have been replaying it. Oh my god I forgot how much I loved this game, it's personally one of my favourite games of all time. Seems to be running perfectly so far but we'll see, just killed the first main boss (the bat dude).

KiraXD

Is it possible to create NEW 2D HUD overlays? like all the HUD elements in KH and KH II, could i re-do the HUD images so they arent pixely and input them in the game somehow?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
They fixed the Bombastic cutscene bug, so no need for the workaround. The other guy that bought Bombastic is gonna be thrilled.

I have a question, if I'm running my games off the disc directly, why aren't they looking any better? Do I need to rip my own discs to run the isos to see the improvement? Cause it looks like I'm playing ps2 games at full HD and it looks terrible.

Mesoian

I have a question, if I'm running my games off the disc directly, why aren't they looking any better? Do I need to rip my own discs to run the isos to see the improvement? Cause it looks like I'm playing ps2 games at full HD and it looks terrible.

What are your visual settings? You still have to increase the rendering rate if you're loading them off disc. The only problems I have loading certain games off disc is a bit of a pause everytime the game loads up a new area if the game hides loads behind gameplay. But they still look amazing once I set the internal resolution up to 4x.

Orayn

What graphics plugin settings are you using?

Orayn

I mean the actual settings for the plugin.

72e58.jpg

Did you uncheck "Original PS2 Resolution" and choose a multiplier for "Use Scaling?"

Hugstable

Banned
Did they ever end up fixing all the shadowing and blur problems with SMT: Nocturne? Just got a new PC that should have no problem running it now, and my nocturne disc really wants to be played :D.

Also whats a good, safe program for connecting a ps3 controller to a PC? I used to always use a 360 controller, but I no longer have one these days. Also does PS4 controllers work yet?

Did they ever end up fixing all the shadowing and blur problems with SMT: Nocturne? Just got a new PC that should have no problem running it now, and my nocturne disc really wants to be played :D.

Also whats a good, safe program for connecting a ps3 controller to a PC? I used to always use a 360 controller, but I no longer have one these days. Also does PS4 controllers work yet?

Motion in joy is hated on in general, but I have the latest version installed. Once installed, open it once to get the DS3 controller working, then close it. Never open it again, and install BetterDS3. That's what I do. Works great for me.

Hugstable

Banned
BetterDS3? I need to already have the DS3 working before I install it? I've heard of Motion Joy, but I also heard some bad things about them a year ago or so.

Grief.exe

Motion in joy is hated on in general, but I have the latest version installed. Once installed, open it once to get the DS3 controller working, then close it. Never open it again, and install BetterDS3. That's what I do. Works great for me.

BetterDS3? I need to already have the DS3 working before I install it? I've heard of Motion Joy, but I also heard some bad things about them a year ago or so.

Use neither of those programs, xinput wrapper is currently the best way.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=59385385&postcount=102

Hugstable

Banned
It doesn't seem to recognize it as a 360 controller and only a ps3 controller. I ended up having the folder on my desktop and everything was fine, but then I wanted to move the folder and couldn't cause it said something was still running. I ended up closing the scpservice process and was able to move the folder but then noticed it was a ps3 controller again. I even deleted the 360 controller drivers and reinstalled including doing the Xinput Wrapper but it seems that's already installed. Is there a way to delte that and retry it because I don't see it on Programs and Features. I feel like I already messed everything up :(

I thought this might be a good place for an answer, since I'm guessing some people may be using DS4 controllers for this. Does anyone have a fix for the left thumbstick not reading the diagonal directions for the DS4?

Here's an example on the test game controller screen (I'm just circling with the left thumbstick here):
ipRjnYqnZyJkn.gif

It won't hit the corners for some reason. When I'm playing a game like Rogue Galaxy my character walks when I go in diagonal directions, but runs when I go left right or up and down. Anybody else having this problem, or know a fix? I tried to go to pad configuration on PCSX2, but the sensitivity settings is darkened for me.

Terra

So um...

Anyone think that my laptop may be able to run FF 12?
It´s an:
Intel i5-2410 @ 2.30 ghz
GTX 560m
8 gb ram

Grief.exe

PCSX2 scales well, you just turn down the rendering resolution and you can heavily save on performance.

Your laptop is more than fine though.

Terra

Only on GPU performance. The GPU is absolutely fine, the CPU will probably cause some slowdowns though.

I had my doubts on this...don´t think I want to go through the hassle of digging out my copy of FFXII if there is a risk for slowdowns. Well, maybe I will anyway.

Thanks anyway! =)

Grief.exe

I had my doubts on this...don´t think I want to go through the hassle of digging out my copy of FFXII if there is a risk for slowdowns. Well, maybe I will anyway.

Thanks anyway! =)

Remember to rip an ISO file from the disc instead of running it from the DVD drive. It improves performance significantly.

I've been trying to track down a copy of FFXII, but its difficult.

I got Dark Cloud 2 running pretty nicely on it yesterday. I'll try and get some screen shots up later because it looked darn pretty.

Top Bottom