• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark’s Game Director leaves The Initiative

Status
Not open for further replies.

assurdum

Banned
Things happen, doesn't matter folks. There's always someone capable of taking over a previous lead's role. Unless people actually think a game is made by a single person, or any 2 or 3 people.
Explosion Reaction GIF

Dream-Knife

Banned
This game is going to be a trainwreck anyway if they went with the hitman angle. People fondly remember Perfect Dark as being one of the best, if not the best FPS.

Edit: the original PD is #16 on metacritic, making it the highest FPS.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

There’s always going to be departures when you create a new team from scratch, it’s inevitable.

Not too concerned about this but time will tell, last year everyone was terribly alarmed about 343 and they made my favorite FPS in years - a game isn’t bad until it’s out.

Zeroing

Banned
People celebrate their acquisitions but MS have a long sad history of incompetency in this department. The fact Spencer throw money from the windows and think to compete to Sony just buy big companies really leave me a mental headache. How many years needed sony to consolidate their studio? 15 years? I don't understand how they can think to handle this situation perfectly and idiot like Pachter think they will kill sony just because acquisitions. Lol. Sure.
They do, and the same people are still there calling the shots so nothing leads me to believe that all of the sudden MS became really good at managing big studios and new IPs and so on.

There’s always going to be departures when you create a new team from scratch, it’s inevitable.

Not too concerned about this but time will tell, last year everyone was terribly alarmed about 343 and they made my favorite FPS in years - a game isn’t bad until it’s out.

Well, it looks like they had a right to be concerned

kingfey

Banned
I'm more worried of the fate of companies in the medium long terms like Bethesda and Activision but will see.
those studios have structure, unlike xbox game studios. The people who are leading xbox game studios need some serous managements.

Swift_Star

Banned
They are in rebuild mode. Its not easy as other companies, which had decades of headstart.
They still havent learned their xbox one fiasco. If they dont fix these issues fast, they would have bigger issues in the future.
This take is so funny it’s ironic. I thought they had a war chest, with infinite money that suddenly made all problems go away and that in two years they’d dominate the market.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
those studios have structure, unlike xbox game studios. The people who are leading xbox game studios need some serous managements.
They did well with gears, Forza, halo, Psychonauts 2, flight sim and grounded.

Which shows the "xgs has management issues" narritive not to be true.

Klayzer

That's a great point. Leave the structure that's already in place with these studios. It's already proven they can handle releases without micro-management.

kingfey

Banned
They did well with gears, Forza, halo, Psychonauts 2, flight sim and grounded.

Which shows the "xgs has management issues" narritive not to be true.
343i is prime example. Rare is doing whatever they want to do. Other studios at least are doing good job, and pulling their weights.

kingfey

Banned
This take is so funny it’s ironic. I thought they had a war chest, with infinite money that suddenly made all problems go away and that in two years they’d dominate the market.
Activison/blizzard with shitstorm problems is still makes a bank.
MS main problem is they arent acting like Sony or Nintendo. They need to let that soft side, and try for once be a serious company.

Sosokrates

343i is prime example. Rare is doing whatever they want to do. Other studios at least are doing good job, and pulling their weights.
But infinite got good reviews. I mean XGS is not perfect, but other publishers also have issues too, even the games that get 90+ meta scores. They def need to improve but they are also delivering great games, so they are doing something right

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
But infinite got good reviews. I mean XGS is not perfect, but other publishers also have issues too, even the games that get 90+ meta scores. They def need to improve but they are also delivering great games, so they are doing something right
That doesnt excuse them, the terrible state the game had in 2020, which made MS delay the game. Not to mention the lack of updates for infinite MP.
Problems like these needs to be rooted out early, or you end up with lazy devs.

For some reason, I am not really surprised. I think Perfect Dark will be the next Halo: Infinite with the long development cycle and internal issues.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Things happen, doesn't matter folks. There's always someone capable of taking over a previous lead's role. Unless people actually think a game is made by a single person, or any 2 or 3 people.

I think that point is correct for most games, but there are definitely games that are very reliant on the game director, more so than other games. Kojima, for example, writes, directs, and produces his games. If he leaves in the middle of a project, is there really someone capable of filling his shoes on every aspect of the project? Same for the likes of Miyamoto and Miyazaki. These are game directors that have very distinct styles and visions. I'm not sure there's always someone who can just immediately step in for those types of game directors that are at the very apex of their craft.

THEAP99

Banned
It's obvious since the news last year that this game is not going as planned. Hopefully, they sort it out. Not sure how Microsoft will be able to efficiently manage two publishers if they can't get the initiative off the ground.

assurdum

Banned
I don't find the management of Bethesda and Activision really brilliant during the past generation, I have a memory of various sales reports below their expectations. It's not like because they are under the MS umbrella they will can go back to the old glory of the ps360 era and MS haven't to do anything to lead them. I suspect MS isn't exactly the best company to redirect them in the right route.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Can't wait to bump threads like these when this game has a great showing. ☺
Bump away, I’ll be playing it day one.

It’s still fair to speculate as to why 2 key people have left after working on something for 4 years before delivering it.

It’s not like Miyazaki just woke up one day 4 years in to making Elden Ring and thought ‘I want a different challenge I’m going to leave FS’.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Microsoft building studios and giving them legacy IPs doesn’t have a spotless track record. Sometimes you get The Coalition, but sometimes you get a 343 Industries. Here’s hoping it’s more of the former and none of the latter.

Sosokrates

That doesnt excuse them, the terrible state the game had in 2020, which made MS delay the game. Not to mention the lack of updates for infinite MP.
Problems like these needs to be rooted out early, or you end up with lazy devs.

Well, you could say that for most publishers. I disagree, XGS can improve but They just had a cracking year, metacritics best publisher, so lets let the facts do the talking.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Well, you could say that for most publishers. I disagree, XGS can improve but They just had a cracking year, metacritics best publisher, so lets let the facts do the talking.
That means nothing for long term. MS is building gamepass and for the future. Whatever metric their games got now is irrelevant to them. They need to keep the big moment as long as they can. Any slip up, and that could hurt their potential future.
They come out from xbox one. They need to be very careful, and not make any mistakes.

kingfey

Banned
I don't find the management of Bethesda and Activision really brilliant during the past generation, I have a memory of different sales below their expectations. It's not like because they are under the MS umbrella they will can go back to the old glory of the ps360 era and MS haven't to do anything to lead them. I suspect MS isn't exactly the best company to redirect them in the right route.
Both struggled with money. And Kotick push for COD yearly. These are something MS can provide them. Enough money, and enough time to make their games.

Sosokrates

That means nothing for long term. MS is building gamepass and for the future. Whatever metric their games got now is irrelevant to them. They need to keep the big moment as long as they can. Any slip up, and that could hurt their potential future.
They come out from xbox one. They need to be very careful, and not make any mistakes.

Same can be said for any publisher, they had a very good year, prior years were not as good because they didnt have the devs. But looking at there devs i dont see how they can go backwards.

But im not surprised, people will probably still be saying "XGS need to prove themselves" after 3yrs of 2021 quality (or likly better imo).

kingfey

Banned
Money will not fix everything. Management is more important.
Zenimax: not enough money, which resulted in fallout 76. Despite that, they still delivered the games.

Activitision/Blizzard: kotick let upper management ruin the company, instead of actually protecting his employees. He forced the company to make COD yearly to make more money.

MS solved zenimax money issues. And once Activision/Blizzard deal is done, kotick will leave the company. And everyone there will abide MS policies.

Dolodolo

People do leave all the the time, even before the game has shipped.

At least the studio head, Darrell Gallagher is still there.

No doubt there is fierce competition for talent, these companies will be poaching each other all the time for talent.

It's like if Neil Druckman left any of his latest projects, but Naughty Dog's president, Evan Wells, remained at Naughty Dog. Isn't it funny for you to constantly downplay things?) It's literally a game director. Damn, I hope Hideo Kojima doesn't quit his next project because it might not be a Kojima game anymore :)

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
People do leave all the the time, even before the game has shipped.

At least the studio head, Darrell Gallagher is still there.

No doubt there is fierce competition for talent, these companies will be poaching each other all the time for talent.

Yeah, I was thinking this meant Gallagher left. I don't know who this guy is, but it's nice his leaving gives the Sony fans something to celebrate.

Hezekiah

Banned
No they are that small because they aren't a true development studio, there was confusion before about what they were supposed to be. They wouldn't be this small 4 years after opening with MS's financing, they are in an area where Activision employees could easily leave and join them as well as Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica studio etc.

They were never meant to be a true development studio, I believe they are supposed to lead the creative and the leadership type of role but the actual grunt work will be done by studios they contract with.
Why describe them as a AAAA studio then?

You use terminology like that and it creates the impression that they are looking to set up an industry powerhouse. As it is, as I had suspected, Crystal Dynamics are developing this game with their oversight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom