• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perry, Zinke & DeVos approved by committee, nominations referred to full Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Didn't DeVos get railed during her questioning? How did she still get approved?

Because Republicans fall in line.

Collins and Murkowski were the only hopes of blocking DeVos' nomination. They're two of the only moderate Senate Republicans left and they're both on the education committee; if either of them voted no on DeVos, she'd be done. The fact that they both voted to move her to a floor vote means there's no hope of any Republican, much less three, siding with Dems on rejecting her.

DeVos is the worst cabinet nominee of the whole bunch and will leave the longest lasting damage (save for, I guess, Pruitt and the EPA). So fucking sad.

On a somewhat brighter note, I'm actually a little less worried about Perry. He may have been bullshitting, of course, but I thought his confirmation hearing was surprisingly reassuring in some areas. Also, I think Zinke and Chao are largely fine, all things considered. Better Zinke than (another) oil tycoon who would prefer selling public lands so they can be ripped up for digging and drilling entirely. Zinke does seem to give some short of shit about national parks and preserving ownership over federal lands.

Jarmel

Banned
Because Republicans fall in line.

Collins and Murkowski were the only hopes of blocking DeVos' nomination. They're two of the only moderate Senate Republicans left and they're both on the education committee; if either of them voted on DeVos, she'd be done. The fact that they both voted to move her to a floor vote means there's no hope of any Republican, much less three, siding with Dems on rejecting her.

DeVos is the worst cabinet nominee of the whole bunch and will leave the longest lasting damage (save for, I guess, Pruitt and the EPA). So fucking sad.

Utterly disgusting. This is really depressing that nobody on the R side is willing to put any brakes on whatsoever.

Mesoian

And I quote.

"The democrats asked her 25 times more questions than president obama's pick in 2008! I mean, what are we doing here!"

Yes, and in doing so, they showed that she has 0 idea how to do this job.

::SHRUG:: No one cares.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

Yup, I watched the grilling DeVos got from Warren and Sanders. She's an absolute moron. Totally unqualified and incompetent.

She got absolutely chewed out by people who do actually know what they're talking about - and the idiot still got the job. This is disgusting. She bought her way in.

bgbball31

Yup, I watched the grilling DeVos got from Warren and Sanders. She's an absolute moron. Totally unqualified and incompetent.

She got absolutely chewed out by people who do actually know what they're talking about - and the idiot still got the job. This is disgusting.

She doesn't have the job yet. She still needs to pass the full senate. Now, that's probably going to happen, but hopefully a few republicans pull their heads out to see she is deeply unqualified. Not holding out too much hope, but I'll hang on to my sliver.

RPGCrazied

I'm going to need the Democrats names that will vote yes for this. Unacceptable. They need to be roasted for this, period.

She doesn't have the job yet. She still needs to pass the full senate. Now, that's probably going to happen, but hopefully a few republicans pull their heads out to see she is deeply unqualified. Not holding out too much hope, but I'll hang on to my sliver.

you're giving the republicans too much credit

they aren't going to do shit

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

True, you are correct. I'll do the same.

Averon

Why do people still get fooled when a GOPer show some slight breakage of the party line?

They always always fall in line at the end.

It is fool's gold.

Tahnit

Banned
All republicans voting yes for her need to be tried for treason imo. They are not listening to their constituents. Fuck this government is corrupted. I can't stand this shit anymore!

Is it ironic that this person is taking over a system that's failed so many Americans that they voted in an administration capable of nominating her?

Or is that the wrong use of ironic

I wouldn't know, I'm a product of public schools

Don't they teach kids how to properly quote and cite other people in research papers in schools anymore?

Guess it doesn't count for Senate confirmation questionnaires, cause you know, that's not important or anything.

they'll teach how to fight off bears with guns though

because you know how important that is

Nerazar

That worked out just ducky for Melania Trump. Why wouldn't DeVos want to work that angle, too?
It's never too early to teach the impressionable minds of tomorrow that plagiarizing things is a skill that can help you get ahead in the world.

I would never have thought that this would become Trump's way to get the US in front of China ;)

LProtag

I have to tell my students that they're not allowed to plagiarize in their writing when the person who is in charge of educational policy in my country got there with plagiarized answers.

She's going to ruin things so much... as if my job wasn't hard enough.

DarkKyo

Does Trump and his admin actually want the US and its next generations to stay competitive on a global scale? Was that just talk? Does he actually believe this is the way to go to achieve that? Can someone spell out what is actually going on in his head for me?

weekev

Banned
Don't republicans realize that this will kill their chances for midterms if they do this?
How will it kill their chances? The folks who voted Trump don't give a shit about education, want big oil for energy and don't know what an interior minister does. Trumpets are fucking loving the past 10 days and I think that makes things a hell of a lot worse.

DarkKyo

Don't republicans realize that this will kill their chances for midterms if they do this?

Don't you realize yet that half this country are mindless zombies who will vote for the republicans regardless of what they do? Look at the past 30 years of Republican activity and they are now at full power because of these people.

NewFresh

Does Trump and his admin actually want the US and its next generations to stay competitive on a global scale? Was that just talk? Does he actually believe this is the way to go to achieve that? Can someone spell out what is actually going on in his head for me?
I believe he said this about Putin but it applies to everyone he has around him. "they said something nice about me I'll say something nice about them"

It's just getting people you like and who like you into these jobs.

Tahnit

Banned
How will it kill their chances? The folks who voted Trump don't give a shit about education, want big oil for energy and don't know what an interior minister does. Trumpets are fucking loving the past 10 days and I think that makes things a hell of a lot worse.

Because only 25% voted. I guaranfuckingtee you that a lot more are going to vote for midterms and next presidential election.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Results won't be immediately evident.

Meanwhile, Trump keeps delivering on his promises like a mofo (so far), so his voters have every right to be content with him.

The only way Republicans will get the boot in the midterms is if enough non-voters decide to show up at the polls this time. I'm not counting on that right now. Even if he's greatly disliked, many voters are just apathetic.

Blader

Results won't be immediately evident.

Meanwhile, Trump keeps delivering on his promises like a mofo (so far), so his voters have every right to be content with him.

The only way Republicans will get the boot in the midterms is if enough non-voters decide to show up at the polls this time. I'm not counting on that right now. Even if he's greatly disliked, many voters are just apathetic.

If Trump keeps delivering on his promises, he is sure to cause a ton of harm for many of his own supporters, which will probably drive some Dem gains in the midterms, too.

daveo42

Banned
All three will eventually get approved. Best news about Devos, she'll have every teacher in the country against her and Trump and those who approved her for the next four years.

DarkKyo

I believe he said this about Putin but it applies to everyone he has around him. "they said something nice about me I'll say something nice about them"

It's just getting people you like and who like you into these jobs.

Is it really that simple? He's as mindless as his supporters? It seems like he cares an awful lot about his reputation and legacy to just drop the ball on all these picks like a complete fool. I'm more willing to believe there is some sinister plan to keep the lower classes and minorities in the bowels of the country by gutting their education and welfare than I am to believe he's just a super dumb person.

DeVos is a perfect pick for Republicans. Encapsulates all of their beliefs and goals towards U.S. education system. Get Charter schools in so you can break public schools financially, end the Teachers Union, end the teaching of evolution, end sex ed, keep black kids out of white schools. There is no way they wont approve her.

Blader

A potential silver lining on DeVos:

Though they sided with the panel, Republican Sens. Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski refused to commit to voting in DeVos' favor on the Senate floor. "[H]er concentration on charter schools and vouchers," said Collins, who represents Maine, "raises the question of whether or not she fully appreciates that the secretary of education's primary focus must be on helping states and communities, parents, teachers, school board members and administrators strengthen our public schools." Collins added she was concerned about DeVos' "lack of familiarity" with the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act.

Murkowski, who represents Alaska, said her office had received thousands of calls from constituents, adding that DeVos "must prove she will work to help the struggling public schools that strive to educate our children."

Murkowski added, "I will vote to report Mrs. DeVos' nomination to the full Senate. But do know she has not yet earned my full support."

I don't understand why Collins and Murkowski would vote for DeVos to move to a floor vote if they still had reservations about her, and if they still weren't lending her their full support. But it means there's maybe still hope. So if you or people you know live in/are from Maine and Alaska, call the fuck out of Collins' and Murkowski's offices to shut down DeVos on the floor.

Erik Prince and friends must be that much more thrilled---to say nothing of the sinister lot she's in with in particular in terms of Dominionist shit heels.

January ending on such a low series of notes it is damn near surreal.

sangreal

A potential silver lining on DeVos:

I don't understand why Collins and Murkowski would vote for DeVos to move to a floor vote if they still had reservations about her, and if they still weren't lending her their full support. But it means there's maybe still hope. So if you or people you know live in/are from Maine and Alaska, call the fuck out of Collins' and Murkowski's offices to shut down DeVos on the floor.

"DeVos "must prove she will work to help the struggling public schools that strive to educate our children.""

If they really wanted her to prove anything they would have held more hearings. There are no more opportunities for her to prove anything except for on the job. So that is most likely what she means. ie, they will vote for her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom