• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perry, Zinke & DeVos approved by committee, nominations referred to full Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The Associated Press‏ @AP

BREAKING: Senate committee approves DeVos for education secretary, sends nomination to full Senate

Ed O'Keefe‏ @edatpost
As of noon: Rick Perry (Energy), Ryan Zinke (Interior), Betsy DeVos (Education) referred to full Senate for confirmation votes.

Half the cabinet picks are totally unqualified and the other half are a "fox in the henhouse" situation. They will all be confirmed. This is a nightmare.

Steejee

DeVos was actually nominated? Is there something I'm missing? She doesn't belong there at all. That's fishy as hell.

Dems can't actually stop any of the nominations, only delay.

Someone in the GOP has to put country before party to stop any of these, and it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Ed O'Keefe‏ @edatpost
As of noon: Rick Perry (Energy), Ryan Zinke (Interior), Betsy DeVos (Education) referred to full Senate for confirmation votes.

I don't know Zinke, but these two are a genuine embarrassment to this country. As a public school teacher & someone who wants the DoE to not, ya know, be dissolved... this is just tough to swallow.

Trump is turning me more and more to a libertarian. If these fools can be chosen to run the departments it would be better if they didn't exist.

Steejee

Half the cabinet picks are totally unqualified and the other half are a "fox in the henhouse" situation. They will all be confirmed. This is a nightmare.

At this point I'm just hoping most of these really awful ones are limited in their ability to fuck things up just through their own sheer incompetence.

j-wood

Did anyone just watch that vote? WHAT THE FUCK.

Please someone explain to me the fuckery that just happened on the Devos vote.

manakel

Did anyone just watch that vote? WHAT THE FUCK.

Please someone explain to me the fuckery that just happened on the Devos vote.
I love how the Alaska senator went on and on about how she's weary of her qualifications just to then vote aye. Such a complete and utter joke.

Nerazar

As long as DeVos is not approved, I'm happy. She will throw back the education of millions and millions of children.

And she will mishandle the student loan system, because she has to get her investments back.

Xe4

Banned
Does anyone know the D/R ratio on the nominating committee? If DeVos passed solely on party lines, that suggests there's more republicans there.

br3wnor

Does anyone know the D/R ratio on the nominating committee? If DeVos passed solely on party lines, that suggests there's more republicans there.

My understanding was 12R/11D but I saw it scrolling through Twitter so can't give a source. The tweet said "Along party lines"

manakel

The vote was 12-11 with every democrat voting no, and every republican voting yes. Senator Alexander voted by proxy for the republican senator that was missing.

Our kids are going to suffer so badly. She's going to turn schools into discriminatory businesses with a not-give-a-shit attitude about guns in school. We're so fucked. We're so fucked.

j-wood

Alexander was a piece of shit.

He over ruled debate, and allowed a proxy vote despite objections. Tennessee, get that fucking person out of the senate.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Devos passed down party lines 12-11. Still needs to pass full Senate.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Devos passed down party lines 12-11. Still needs to pass full Senate.

Unfortunately, if the precedent is there on the nomination comittee, going off of all previous precedent, I don't see any R's making waves at this point.

Hoping to be wrong, though.

zethren

Banned
A person barely qualified to watch water boil is now the boss of our educators.

Fantastic.

A person barely qualified to watch water boil is now our President. The man is barely qualified to walk down stairs by himself. President.

People have lost their goddamn minds.

bgbball31

I am watching CSPAN right now over this stuff. Freaking CSPAN. And not even the first one, but the second one! And now even the third because they are, I think, voting on Sessions in the judiciary committee right now.

Really hoping Devos is not passed in the full senate. Sessions is more worrying because he will have a more important roll, but at least he is qualified should be put in.

Betsy DeVos literally bought her way to a nomination.

-Donate big money to Trump's campaign.
-Get a cabinet position.

Total fucking joke.

alternade

This country is going to shit so fast its dizzying. How could these wholly unqualified and ideologically bankrupt people be confirmed much less nominated?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Betsy DeVos literally bought her way to a nomination.

-Donate big money to Trump's campaign.
-Get a cabinet position.

Total fucking joke.

Pay to play folks. It's pay to play - trump

This country is going to shit so fast its dizzying. How could these wholly unqualified and ideologically bankrupt people be confirmed much less nominated?

They had republican next to their name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom