• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 gets 10/10 in first English version review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Consider a typical well designed dungeon level, and now add persona style flair on top of that. There, you now have P5 dungeons. Gone are the repetitive linear hallways of P4.
This is really reductive, haha.

They have level designs that wrap around on themselves, unlocking shortcuts for when you revisit them, and then each dungeon has its own unique mechanics that come in the form of puzzles. They're constantly interesting and original, and miles above everything else that I've personally seen in the genre.

Christ so many gems, now i wait with bated breath for mass effect, im excited for persona but im a mass effect fan in the same way that some are big persona fans here

This truly is going to be another year of legends, spoken in the same was as 1998...

I think whether it can hang with 98 or 01 will depend on how the second half of the year shakes out. Right now it's a big question mark. There are a lot of generic 2017 dates, but very few locked in for that part of the year.

C6WDPvKUsAEzpyV.jpg

This picture makes me happy.

squall23

I'm new to the whole Persona thing, I just started playing 4G a month ago, but I've gotten obsessed. The anime is on Hulu, and if they got the same person for the show as they did for the game, it makes a bit more sense.

They didn't hide it well in the American VO, though. I didn't actually realize they were trying to hide it until everyone was all weird about Kanji going out with a boy.
The Golden anime is boring. The original P4 anime is much more fun, not to mention the 2nd opening song is one of the best Persona songs.

I agree. I don't think either anime is particularly good, but the P4A has some decent and humorous moments. The P4G anime just kinda, exists. It tries to imply a lot of greater things about certain characters that weren't really present in the game and it just kinda gets ridiculous. Also the characters, like with most of the spin offs of P4, lose a lot of depth and charm and kinda just become goofy caricatures of the tropes they wore on the surface.

The additional music we get from them, from the OPs and EDs to some of the original tracks that play during it's runtime are really fantastic, as to be expected.

I can't wait for the soundtrack. I know it's amazing.

Played the first 3 hours of my Japanese copy back when it came out and it's hard to say in full scope how it compares to past games because I've only heard some of the music. I feel there were more general vocal tracks in Persona 4? But from what I've heard it seems the strongest vocal tracks in P5 play in later sections of the game. Either way from what I heard in my short time with it, it's super fantastic right out the gate. Though I can't think of one Shoji Meguro composed game OST that I dislike, personally haha.

Zolo

I think whether it can hang with 98 or 01 will depend on how the second half of the year shakes out. Right now it's a big question mark. There are a lot of generic 2017 dates, but very few locked in for that part of the year.

Red Dead Redemption 2 needs to confirm one of those dates at the end of 2017.

Zolo

Who is the woman in the top right corner? Everyone else I got.

Edit: For the score it should be above 90 but there is no chance it's going to get close to Zelda. I am thinking between 91-94.

Velvet from ToB. Generally agreed on it seems that it's one of the better 'Tales' since Vesperia.

Personally, I'd like a big compliation pic featuring characters from all the great games from this year at the end of '17.

StereoVsn

Velvet from ToB. Generally agreed on it seems that it's one of the better 'Tales' since Vesperia.

Personally, I'd like a big compliation pic featuring characters from all the great games from this year at the end of '17.
Ahh, that's right. More rage is needed!

It is going to be a rather great year especially if God of War and RDR2 hit.

StereoVsn

The theme you get for preordering from PSN is very, very nice.
Is it available for sale separately? Haven't seen it in the PSN store and have he SE coming from Amazon (although I am debating getting a digital version and leaving SE unopened).

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Is it available for sale separately? Haven't seen it in the PSN store and have he SE coming from Amazon (although I am debating getting a digital version and leaving SE unopened).

Not that I know of. But I haven't been paying attention to bonuses from other places. Kinda an impulse purchase for me today.

Never forget:

tumblr_mwrncnVzXN1rzfq4ao1_1280.png

Man, it's been a long journey. I've stayed up till like 5-6AM PST for every Nico Nico livestream they've done since this very first one. Pretty much trying not to scream at the top of my longs and annoy my neighbors every time. Can't believe it's actually almost here. It's been actual suffering stopping myself from playing the Japanese version all these months.

Man, it's been a long journey. I've stayed up till like 5-6AM PST for every Nico Nico livestream they've done since this very first one. Pretty much trying not to scream at the top of my longs and annoy my neighbors every time. Can't believe it's actually almost here. It's been actually suffering stopping myself from playing the Japanese version all these months.

I told myself that if there was another delay till like July or so, I'd buy and play through the Japanese version. Only problem is that I don't speak or read Japanese, so it probably would've been pointless lol. Another delay would've been the breaking point though.

I told myself that if there was another delay till like July or so, I'd buy and play through the Japanese version. Only problem is that I don't speak or read Japanese, so it probably would've been pointless lol. Another delay would've been the breaking point though.

Yeah the last one almost certainly was for me. At the time there were guides that translated all the dialogue in the game except maybe socials links or minor things? Was pretty dang tempting. I've dipped my toes into Japanese when I was in college, but the level required to understand Persona's script is pretty damn advanced. I think it's pretty much set in stone to come out in April at this point, though. I don't think they can afford another delay, the April one hurt a lot already.

Man, it's been a long journey. I've stayed up till like 5-6AM PST for every Nico Nico livestream they've done since this very first one. Pretty much trying not to scream at the top of my longs and annoy my neighbors every time. Can't believe it's actually almost here. It's been actual suffering stopping myself from playing the Japanese version all these months.
That first livestream with GAF was hilarious stuff. From Persona Q being announced, people getting ready to burn Atlus down for Persona 4 Dancing All Night, to finally the P5 teaser reveal. Good stuff, can't believe its been almost 4 years.

Jamaro85

Never played a Persona game and have hardly followed this but I have it on pre-order. I have a feeling I am in for a treat.

That first livestream with GAF was hilarious stuff. From Persona Q being announced, people getting ready to burn Atlus down for Persona 4 Dancing All Night, to finally the P5 teaser reveal. Good stuff, can't believe its been almost 4 years.

It's insane to think it's been that long. Wish I could have been involved in a group watching like that. As a fan of rhythm games, I accept that I am garbage as I was hyped for and thoroughly enjoyed P4D. I just remember freaking out about how close Winter 2014 and thinking we'd get the game in 2015 stateside. And still, even after all this time I'm excited to play it just as much, if not more than when it was revealed.

squall23

So glad I beat P4G last month. $25 for used PSTV and memory card, borrowed the game from a friend, installed undub patch.

Such a fun game. Money well spent.

does the game have the same day format

school for the morning

something for mid-day

something for night

go to sleep/study or dungeon roaming

Strings

Better than FFXV?

I dunno if that story can be topped man. The pathos. The thrills! Deep, rewarding character Luna!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom