• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 gets 10/10 in first English version review

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 10/10 game should be at or near perfection. A 5/10 game should be considered a good game still. 6-9 should be the varying levels of how much better it is than just the standard. Anything less than 5 would be going from good to bad. I just dislike how these days it seems that if it doesn't get 8 or above, it's "crap". I know that's not the case here, at all. And I'm not saying BotW deserves crap scores too. But I just feel there should be more distinction in the upper echelon of the scorecards. Similarly on the lower end, 5/10 shouldn't mean a "bad" game, but if someone sees that, they usually stay away like the plague. Lower than that, and watch out.

I know it wont ever happen, and it's just my thoughts. Perhaps I might just be getting older. I *am* a little tired, and could possibly be cranky atm without knowing it.

Edit: Maybe also perhaps, maybe...that games are becoming more and more grandiose. Maybe the same system doesn't quite apply to the new hotness like it did the old and busted.

LotusHD

Banned
No, the real, real question will be which game will have the better OST between Persona 5 and Nier.

Even NiER: Automata managed to top FFXV. Hopefully Square Enix takes some lessons from what PlatinumGames pulled off for their own internal teams.

Meh, if one paid attention to it, there was never any doubts to be had about that.

I am getting caught up in the hype... But, I have never played a Persona game before... will I "understand" the game? Or do you think that it requires a past familiarity to enjoy it?

Persona games are for the most part stand alone entries. Only Persona 1, Persona 2: Innocent Sin & Eternal Punishment have direct correlation with one another (in Persona 2's sake more so with it being a duology). Every main entry since you are perfectly fine having not played a previous entry. All you'll miss out at most is easter egss/references to past games in the series.

FYI ... for anyone pre-ordering... Amazon has the regular and the steelbook edition both listed for the same price at $60 for those interested. I love steelbooks!

AND Prime members get 20% off the first 2 weeks of release!

LotusHD

Banned
A 10/10 game should be at or near perfection. A 5/10 game should be considered a good game still. 6-9 should be the varying levels of how much better it is than just the standard. Anything less than 5 would be going from good to bad. I just dislike how these days it seems that if it doesn't get 8 or above, it's "crap". I know that's not the case here, at all. And I'm not saying BotW deserves crap scores too. But I just feel there should be more distinction in the upper echelon of the scorecards. Similarly on the lower end, 5/10 shouldn't mean a "bad" game, but if someone sees that, they usually stay away like the plague. Lower than that, and watch out.

I know it wont ever happen, and it's just my thoughts. Perhaps I might just be getting older. I *am* a little tired, and could possibly be cranky atm without knowing it.

I can agree with the whole thing about the score basically anything less than 7 now sucks. But it's whatever. I've long adjusted to it.

It's a soundtrack built around acid jazz, so P5.

We shall see...

KodaRuss

I think we all knew this was going to be a stellar game. We just didnt think Nioh, Nier: Automata, Horizon, RE7 and Yakuza 0 were going to knock it out of the park as well.

It is going to be tough to top 2017 and we are only 3 months in.

The real question is if it's better than Nier Automata.
I don't think you can really compare them. Yes, they are both JRPGs but each of them are doing something very different from the other.

You can compare how much each title has managed to achieve what they set out as their goals though. In that regard, I think it'll be a very close race.

Here I am playing Zelda and Horizon, seeing Andromeda oncoming and this, my most anticipated game, is 3 weeks away...2017 is a gamer's equivalent of being in the audience at an Oprah taping.

Man there was a time when people thought this generation is going to be the worst. This generation is shaping up to be the greatest generation of gaming.

bluethree

I liked Persona 3 more than 4. Anyone that already played the Japan version, would you say it's more similar to Persona 3 or 4?

I'd say it follows the formula but it's its own thing. It's still very anime but the characters and situations are more grounded in the real world (comparatively) than the other two, and the game is far better for it.

The game's only real flaws are that it's way too talky and way too long. There are some other minor issues, such as the story not being perfect and some minor things, but really, it's head and shoulders above anything else in the series and it's in my personal top 5 now I think.

I can agree with the whole thing about the score basically anything less than 7 now sucks. But it's whatever. I've long adjusted to it.
You're right, and that is pretty much what I will do as well. But darnit! I don't have bigtime videogaming friends irl so I gotta spout this stuff off to people who might actually feel similar! I'll drown out my sorrows by playing these phenominal games that we have these days.

Nier, Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5, hold me...

LotusHD

Banned
True 10 incoming. Not a "we like Big N so we are going to ignore performance issues" 10.

Zelda salt is always so hilarious lol

Man there was a time when people thought this generation is going to be the worst. This generation is shaping up to be the greatest generation of gaming.

I bought a PS4 at the perfect time. A couple of gems already lined up for me. Then this year just takes it to the next level.

Played the JP version. I like this game a lot. But no way is it a 10.

To put it in perspective I would say P4 is a 10. P5 is not. Maybe a 9 at best.

Aren't reviews subjective though and based on a variety of factors? You may disagree, but it doesn't mean that it's not a ten to someone else.

I am getting caught up in the hype... But, I have never played a Persona game before... will I "understand" the game? Or do you think that it requires a past familiarity to enjoy it?

For instance, I played Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 without ever having played the first one and loved it. But, conversely, had I not played the first 3 Uncharted games first, I can't imagine getting as much out of Uncharted 4. People that tried missed out on some of the story beats and references... So, how about Persona?

Thanks for the feedback!

The games are standalone, so you can jump in anywhere in the series and be fine. The only thing you could miss is minor Easter eggs or you may not recognize recurring characters.

Yay great start. So fucking hyped for this. Can't believe it's finally so close.

True 10 incoming. Not a "we like Big N so we are going to ignore performance issues" 10.

Plz no. Let's not get the Nintendo fans in here and turn another thread into a BOTW circle jerk.

PS4 is the only console I've ever bought day one and yeah that first year I was one of those people bitching about how terrible this gen is lol. Amazing to see where it is now

This year. Can't stop. Won't stop.
Ud6mmMO.gif

Boke1879

Mass Effect needs to review well and the start of this year is really strong. I really think 2017 is going to go down as one of the BEST years in gaming ever.

It just takes time for everything to get going. The same applied to last gen. I'm glad we've finally reached this point though!

UberTag

I've played 25+ hours for review, and it's looking like a 10/10 for me too.

Expect lots of high scores for this one my friends.
The bar is clearly Persona 4. Metacritic for that game stands at 90. Persona 4 Golden is at a 93.
I'm going to wager Persona 5 winds up somewhere in the middle with a 91 or 92.

Mass Effect needs to review well and the start of this year is really strong. I really think 2017 is going to go down as one of the BEST years in gaming ever.
It's going to really slow down after Persona 5 ships. Next few months just have an MK8 port, Prey and some high-profile fighting games (Tekken 7 and Injustice 2).

Played the JP version. I like this game a lot. But no way is it a 10.

To put it in perspective I would say P4 is a 10. P5 is not. Maybe a 9 at best.

Well it's your opinion . For me , I've played a 10/10 game.
P5 has a much more intresting story ( main story ) than P4 . it has better mecanics, it has a better visual design.
And it has a much better last 15 hours. The last 15 hours of P5 are perfection , IMO.

Goddamn is this year going strong.

Also this has increased my hype for Persona 5 even more. This final stretch to April 4th is gonna hurt real bad.

Xbro

The bar is clearly Persona 4. Metacritic for that game stands at 90. Persona 4 Golden is at a 93.
I'm going to wager Persona 5 winds up somewhere in the middle with a 91 or 92.

It's going to really slow down after Persona 5 ships. Next few months just have an MK8 port, Prey and some fighting games.

95 here we come.

george_us

I don't think you can really compare them. Yes, they are both JRPGs but each of them are doing something very different from the other.

You can compare how much each title has managed to achieve what they set out as their goals though. In that regard, I think it'll be a very close race.
Law of message boards says you must choose a side regardless.

CHOOSE A SIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom