• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2015 : 1080P 60 FPS on PS4 - 720P 60 FPS on X1

I wish MS would send their engineers to Konami to fix the FOX Engine on XB1 like they did for Diablo 3. I'd like for MGS:V and Silent Hills to reach at least 900p. 720p for early titles was one thing, but the console has been out for almost a year now.

Maybe it can't be fixed. FOX engine has been designed to be scalable, maybe that's where the scaling ends due to the hardware design.

alterno69

Banned
Nope i can confirm it looks blurry on ps4 as well. I cant explain its sort of like how NHL looks.
I have the demo, i don't think it lools blurry at all, the players have some aliasing in the standard view tho. I also have the full version of Fifa 15 and PES looks better to me.

Vashetti

Banned
Please explain to me how putting extra effort into the xbox is bad? Making sure the xbox version is 1080p is bad for the playstation how??? I wasn't aware PS4 games can achieve higher than 1080p.

Child of Light renders between 2304 and 2112x1440.
The Lego Movie renders at 1920x1280.
Lego The Hobbit renders at 1920x1280.

Have you got any post-processing on your TV or anything? It really doesn't look blurry here. Then again, neither did NHL 15's demo.

No post processing at all. Replays look much better than actual game. Actual game it has a weird blurry look. Also grass looks like those old zelda grass pics.

A multiplatform engine with multiple gens taken into consideration. Supposedly futureproof as well as backwards compatible.

If they can reach 1080p on PS4 and 720p on XB1 nd it's the same for two games, maybe that's all the engine can achieve with those hardware configurations.

TheCloser

Banned
Nope i can confirm it looks blurry on ps4 as well. I cant explain its sort of like how NHL looks.
I can confirm that you need to calibrate your tv or put on some glasses. I'm playing it right now and it doesn't look blurry like nhl at all. It's pretty clear.
It's not just the resolution. BF4 is 720 and doesn't look like that.
Vaseline filter sounds like FXAA to me. If that's the case, I'd rather have no aa on the xb1 version.

omonimo

Banned
I can confirm that you need to calibrate your tv or put on some glasses. I'm playing it right now and it doesn't look blurry like nhl at all. It's pretty clear.

Vaseline filter sounds like FXAA to me. If that's the case, I'd rather have no aa on the xb1 version.
At 720p? Jaggies will be everywhere.

Kevyt

Could it be that there's an optimization issue for the Xbox One and the Fox Engine? This is the second title that runs at 720p and perhaps a third one from Konami using the Fox Engine (MGSV).

I think a few cuts here and there would help the Xbox version reach 1080p and mantain 60 FPS. Not to mention that MS sends its engineers to help studios. It would be interesting to see know why the Xbox One version runs at 720p. I can't wait for Digital Foundry to investigate. I also think that an interview with someone from Konami about the Fox Engine and the games would be interesting. In the same fashion that Digital Foundry interviewed 4A Games' chief technical officer Oles Shishkovstov about Metro Redux about the Xbox One and PS4 version of Metro Redux.

Come on Digital Foundry make it happen.

Chobel

It's not just the resolution. BF4 is 720 and doesn't look like that.

Far objects looks much worse in lower resolution. In BF4, big part of screen is for objects near the camera (player). In PES, the camera is far from the players, i.e. everything is far object.

Alright, so does the XB1 have a lot of trouble reaching 1080p with deferred rendered games? How many games that are on par(same res/fps) with the PS4 version use deferred rendering?

If MS chose an architecture that sucks with deferred, why blame the developer?

I think it should be pointed out that so far, there have only been three games with a 1080p/720p resolution split on PS4/XB1, and two of the games have been Konami games running on Fox Engine. Is it a problem with the engine itself or does Konami really not care at all about the Xbox One version?

I think it should be pointed out that so far, there have only been three games with a 1080p/720p resolution split on PS4/XB1, and two of the games have been Konami games running on Fox Engine. Is it a problem with the engine itself or does Konami really not care at all about the Xbox One version?

I think it's the engine, but not because there's a problem with it, just that it's not designed to take the ESRAM and, thus, runs at the lower resolution.... but this is pure speculation on my part.

LeleSocho

Banned
Why would they do that?

Because that's how parity works, you always have to throttle the most powerful/best performing thing in order to reach the other's results.
If you have basket that can contain 30 pounds of fruit before it breaks and another that can contain only 25 pounds and you want for some reason parity what do you do? Add 5 pounds of fruit to the weaker basket? Of course not because it would break, obviously you remove 5 pounds to the most resistant one to reach parity.

Xbone is always pushed to the last piece of math it can handle while PS4 has always more room for optimization when games looks the same.

Come on guys it's a thing of basic logic not of semantics or point of views...

Vestax

Banned
Wow, I didn't expect another 720p game to be released this far into the gen. That's a sizable gap. I'm getting this game, I need a sports game, and I won't support EA Sports for their licensing practices.

Hmm, I guess MS didn't send any engineers with magic powers to assist Konami on this....

Patroclos

Banned
Did a developer (or someone else working on the game) confirm 900p just a little while ago?

Not that I have heard. The silence on XB1 version has been deafening. No XB1 review copies were not sent. That rumor seems too outrageous to be true. One or the other possibly but not both.

Piggus

The Fox engine is probably based on deferred rendering which, if the ESRAM is used solely as a cache, would likely be totally filled up at 720p and 60 fps. It takes a lot of extra work to get around the limitations of the ESRAM/shitty GPU. The Bone GPU was not designed for 1080p gaming which was a huge misjudgment by MS. I guess they just figured most people wouldn't care. Oops.

Kinda shocked they didn't even try 900p, I am sure the Xbone is perfectly capable of it.

Yeah, they totally just forgot to try it. Come on.

Ishida

Banned
The Fox engine is probably based on deferred rendering which, if the ESRAM is used solely as a cache, would likely be totally filled up at 720p and 60 fps. The PS4 has no such issue due to its architecture and GPU that's designed for 1080p. The Bone GPU was not designed for 1080p gaming which was a huge misjudgment by MS. I guess they just figured most people wouldn't care.

What? I'm no tech expert, but I'm pretty sure that's not true. I believed the XBone's limitation was related to the ESRAM thing instead of the GPU?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The fact that FIFA is 1080/60 on Xbox tells me the architecture is what's causing most of the problems in all these cases. Or it's a shitty unoptimised engine.

I doubt it. They've probably spent more time on the Xbox One than PS4. The final result shouldn't look/run the same. Just like 360 vs. PS3 most of the time.

Shin-Ra

That was a launch title. We already know the gap will be much closer this time around.

Most AAA games are the same. Destiny, NBA, Wolfenstein, Alien Isolation, etc.
NBA had no or ineffective AA on Xbone and Wolfenstein drops to lower resolutions. Not sure what you're judging Alien off.

bombshell

What? I'm no tech expert, but I'm pretty sure that's not true. I believed the XBone's limitation was related to the ESRAM thing instead of the GPU?

The inferior specs of the Xbone GPU is a culprit too.

Xbone: 1.31 TF GPU (12 CUs) for games
Xbone: 768 Shaders
Xbone: 48 Texture units
Xbone: 16 ROPS
Xbone: 2 ACE/ 16 queues

PS4: 1.84TF GPU ( 18 CUs) for games + 56%
PS4: 1152 Shaders +50%
PS4: 72 Texture units +50%
PS4: 32 ROPS + 100%
PS4: 8 ACE/64 queues +300%

The Fox engine is probably based on deferred rendering which, if the ESRAM is used solely as a cache, would likely be totally filled up at 720p and 60 fps. It takes a lot of extra work to get around the limitations of the ESRAM/shitty GPU. The Bone GPU was not designed for 1080p gaming which was a huge misjudgment by MS. I guess they just figured most people wouldn't care. Oops.

You really think they couldn't have pushed 900p60 if they didn't try? Sniper Elite 3 pushes way more than PES does and it's 900p60 on Xbox One (1080p60 on PS4).

NBA had no or ineffective AA on Xbone and Wolfenstein drops to lower resolutions. Not sure what you're judging Alien off.

Wolfenstein drops resolution on PS4 as well, but not to the extent of Xbox One:

Digital Foundry said:
Having now completed our analysis, it's clear that the PS4 gains an advantage with smaller drops in resolution that occur less frequently than they do on Xbox One. Metrics in the area of 1760x1080 are found on PS4, while on the Xbox One this can drop to an extreme of 960x1080 in some scenes. This is usually identifiable by an increase in the amount of jaggies on screen, along with a slightly fuzzier appearance to the already gritty aesthetic that Machine Games employs throughout the game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Give it some time.

StuBurns

Banned
The GPU has exclusive access to the eSRAM, it's conceivable he was just including it in the GPU, although that's not strictly accurate.

Piggus

It's both.

The ESRAM is a necessity due to the slow DDR3 and lack of dedicated VRAM, but it's also a major hurdle when used as a cache. Games like this that use a deferred renderer fill it up really quickly even at 720p. It's nowhere near big enough for efficient 1080p.

Which wasn't an issue for MS because....

... they completely ignored AMD's own recommendation for for the number of raster units (ROPs) required for 1080. It has HALF the number of ROPs that AMD recommends, making it much less efficient at 1080 than it would be if it had the right number of ROPs. Of course that doesn't mean it can't reach 1080p, it just means it does so very inefficiently. That doesn't even take into account the reduced number of shader units (CUs) and other GPU features where it's at a major disadvantage. The GPU essentially has the same specs as a low-mid range Radeon from late 2011 or early 2012. That's the problem here. It's a console that was designed to have 8 gbs of DDR3 and everything else suffered as a result.

The GPU has exclusive access to the eSRAM, it's conceivable he was just including it in the GPU, although that's not strictly accurate.

I realize that the ESRAM is not necessarily part of the GPU. But it's the reason that the GPU is as weak as it is due to how much space it takes up on the APU.

bombshell

You really think they couldn't have pushed 900p60 if they didn't try? Sniper Elite 3 pushes way more than PES does and it's 900p60 on Xbox One (1080p60 on PS4).

You really want to bring Sniper Elite into this discussion?

ibdQcnoJeFZrMS.gif

Not designed for 1080p, but most games are 1080p. Got it.

Top Bottom