• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2015 : 1080P 60 FPS on PS4 - 720P 60 FPS on X1

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I know is weaker, but not at this level.
Is the same case of PS3 (not in power, but in technical challenges).
The Xbone has 32MB of eSRAM in which developers store their framebuffer because that's the fastest memory available on that system.

Deferred rendering engines use a lot of memory for their framebuffer channels.

This equals a problem

The architecture just isn't well suited for deferred engines. This isn't even some new thing that was just discovered on September 28th, 2014. This has been discussed since the very first leaks on GAF and predicted by many.

I partially agree but some engines will be designed around certain hardware strengths. 60fps with dynamic lights is something that will continue to be a challenge from the looks of things. At least for the X1.

Josman

720p, PES.

They are lazy or incompetent.

It's also more complicated to develop for, we don't know the way their engine works, it runs very well on PS4 but not on X1, there is clearly something the X1 lacks that is giving them issues, you can call them incompetent sure, but it's their first game, they have a time schedule and optimizing it takes a lot of resources, lazy seems a bit extreme, this is also MS's hardware fault, other developers also had the advantage of MS engineers helping with the code.

Harmen

It has been said many times before, but if a developer is going to push the PS4 to the limit, it will be a significant difference with the One. All games that are equal do not utilize the PS4 hardware fully. Both have a very similar architecture and a clear difference in power. Not a PS3 and 360 scenario.

With that said, I do not think PES is all that well optimized for the One and 720p should not be necessary (I'd prefer some other trade-offs/better optimization and 900p)

EGM1966

It's also more complicated to develop for, we don't know the way their engine works, it runs very well on PS4 but not on X1, there is clearly something the X1 lacks that is giving them issues, you can call them incompetent sure, but it's their first game, they have a time schedule and optimizing it takes a lot of resources, lazy seems a bit extreme, this is also MS's fault.
Pretty sure it'll be the ESRAM that's the issue with Fox Engine: it just doesn't seem to suit using small and fast ESRAM memory with large amount of slower memory vs one pool of fast memory.

I guess 720p to 1080p seems a big gap but to ensure solid 60fps it might be the right option.

If this holds true for MGS V ( which I guess odds are it will ) the threads will be epic.

With PS3 there were certain engines you learnt always seemed to struggle with architecture design, seems Fox Engine just plain doesn't play nice with XB1 architecture.

The Xbone has 32MB of eSRAM in which developers store their framebuffer because that's the fastest memory available on that system.

Deferred rendering engines use a lot of memory for their framebuffer channels.

This equals a problem

The architecture just isn't well suited for deferred engines. This isn't even some new thing that was just discovered on September 28th, 2014. This has been discussed since the very first leaks on GAF and predicted by many.

This is probably the case, they use 8 or 9 32bit render targets for Fox engine, just fits into 32MB.

Can't believe you really think that 720p 60fps is the maximum that Xbox One can hit in this game.

because resolution+framerate aren't just the factors at play here.

if everything else is equal (i assume), it's great that they only compromised resolution.

some games have less resolution, less fps, and then some on xbone.

I don't know how people can convince themselves that games should run the same on consoles with different power and then blame the developers when they can't.

No one is saying they should be the same. But 720p should not being happening on the XB1 at this point. There is a reason we haven't seen many games at that resolution, especially recently.

Chris1

looks pretty impressive to me.

FIFA-vs-PES-look-alike.jpg

Wow, I didn't realize it looked THAT good.

Chobel

Pretty sure it'll be the ESRAM that's the issue with Fox Engine: it just doesn't seem to suit using small and fast ESRAM memory with large amount of slower memory vs one pool of fast memory.

I guess 720p to 1080p seems a big gap but to ensure solid 60fps it might be the right option.

If this holds true for MGS V ( which I guess odds are it will ) the threads will be epic.

With PS3 there were certain engines you learnt always seemed to struggle with architecture design, seems Fox Engine just plain doesn't play nice with XB1 architecture.

MS will probably make sure that won't happen, I guessing they will be sending some of their engineer teams to optimize xbone version.

bombshell

No one is saying they should be the same. But 720p should not being happening on the XB1 at this point. There is a reason we haven't seen many games at that resolution, especially recently.

720p/60 is going to be happening a lot on Xbone for games using deferred rendering targeting 60 fps.

So, I should ignore that a soccer game runs in 1080p 60fps on Xbox One to excuse Konami.

I see...

pes looks to be better visually. being in the same genre doesn't really mean anything. they're both using different engines, and fox engine games look to be more visually-demanding than ea sports engine games.

SerTapTap

Glad to see the majority of this forum understands the exact performance intricacies of Konami's own engine, game and the Xbox One.

At least they're honest about it pre-launch.

LeleSocho

Banned

Do you understand that not every engine taxes the hardware the same way right?

Hasney

It's a cherry picked comparison. Do that for 20 of the best players of the world cup and the results will not look like that.

PES generally looks better player by player, even if the gap isn't that big. It probably helps that FIFA players all look like they've been molded out of PVC.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It wasn't intended to be. My point is that most AAA games will go for parity. This doesn't mean that they are intentionally gimping one system, but putting the extra effort to make sure everyone is happy.

PES is a soccer game that's not relevant when compared to FIFA, that's what I meant.

Are you aware of what parity is? To achieve that, something HAS to be gimped! Otherwise, that's creating parity between an HD 7870 and 7790 and concluding that there is no hardware advantages.

Here's another statement I heard a lot last gen and will reciprocate back to the Xbox crowd: why should devs spend so much extra time and resources on an SKU that will sell the least? This is on the manufacturer not the developer.

Man if all this whining about Xbone 720p is forcing developers to abandon deferred rendering engines in favor of old ass shit I'm going to be so mad.

No chance, especially as time goes on. PES is competing with the juggernaut known as FIFA, their game needs to look as good as possible and they won't downgrade it for the Xbone. That's the beauty of competition.

EGM1966

MS will probably make sure that won't happen, I guessing they will be sending some of their engineer teams to optimize xbone version.
I'm not sure that would be too easy given the engine design. The publisher/developer seem to have to qualms so far (PES and MGS GS) about sticking to 720p/60fps on XB1 not have they been shy about making the resolution clear.

In short I'm not sure they'll agree to further invest even if MS do offer their Optimization team.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
In both games the only player that look remotely like their real life counterpart are in the top 10-15 clubs.
Yeah, doesn't change my point that it's a cherry picked comparison. Not every player looks that much better in PES, many actually look quite a bit worse than their FIFA counter part.

That's why you need to compare across a larger number, not just Neymar and the cover-athlete Goetze.

Top Bottom