• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES series - "The Return of the King"

feel

I've been hammering the demo something rotten. This is likely to be my most played demo ever. Absolutely love it
My ps4 and tv haven't been turned off since it came out, I just let the Highlights reel of my latest match run for hours on end until I get back to it, I like glancing at the screen and seeing the awesome animations while I'm on my pc doing something else for example. So addicted.

Conduit

Banned
PS4 1080p/60, Xbone 720p/60.

I don't know, maybe it is a typo, but a football game ( http://www.konami.jp/we/2015/ )???

to1M9FB.jpg

Has anyone found it as cheap to preorder (or close to it) on 360 as the £29 on amazon, I'd rather not order from them if possible. I done googled it and everything and all the usual sites (zavvi, game collection, shopto etc) are all £35 and up.

So I'm assuming you can't save custom files on the ps4 version, right? To replace team names/strips etc.

I want the PC version for that reason, but I want to see how gimped it is before considering buying.

So is this finally PES7? I'm playing the demo and loving it. First PES that's actually good since the PS2 gen?

It still needs some work but I would be inclined to go with a YES. More importantly though this is a great foundation for them to build off moving forward and finally get back to being the KING!!

Returners

It still needs some work but I would be inclined to go with a YES. More importantly though this is a great foundation for them to build off moving forward and finally get back to being the KING!!

I have to say YES as well. Really impressed that they handled the next gen transition this well.

Vol5

I really need this game in my life. I bought FIFA over the weekend and it's night and day. PES plays better, looks better, animation is almost flawless and the player individuality is astonishing. I really hope that the modes shine and the net code is good.

Another thing that I think is missed when a comparison is made, is the defending. FIFA hasn't got a fucking clue what is going on. When I manually select a player I expect another player on my team to fill the hole and to compensate (to a certain degree. PES isn't perfect, but at least it tries). FIFA doesn't understand this concept, and it's an important one if you want to push the opposition in certain directions. If I manually select an off-ball player in an attempt to control someone in a zone or area of the pitch, another teammate just rushes the opposition and makes a meal of the formation. I've even had the game deselect defenders I need. Fucking dumb. One of my mates told me to go full manual, but it still goes full retard most of the time. It's aspects like this that make PES this year an exciting prospect in addition to all the other good stuff it has going on.

I'm happy to conclude that "The King has Returned". Bring on November.

It's great to hear the studio is fully focused making the visuals the top priority in the lead up to launch rather than tinkering and messing with gameplay which, going by the demo, is great so don't mess with it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

s_mirage

I would get this on PC instead if it wasn't for the fact that it's supposedly not a proper current gen version.

Ditto, which is a shame. As it is though I won't support companies that gimp their PC versions for no reason, and the way they have explained this is giving me flashbacks to FIFA on PC prior to 2011. The demo's an issue too: treat me like a second class citizen and strangely I don't feel compelled to buy your product.

atr0cious

Ditto, which is a shame. As it is though I won't support companies that gimp their PC versions for no reason, and the way they have explained this is giving me flashbacks to FIFA on PC prior to 2011. The demo's an issue too: treat me like a second class citizen and strangely I don't feel compelled to buy your product.

I thought the reason was that they didn't want to outspec their community, which is something I wish more developers would think about. Bhatti said the only difference is assets, and they tried to make the gameplay like for like with console otherwise.

s_mirage

I thought the reason was that they didn't want to outspec their community, which is something I wish more developers would think about. Bhatti said the only difference is assets, and they tried to make the gameplay like for like with console otherwise.

And that is why it's giving me flashbacks, it's the same thing EA said for years but their reasoning is flimsier. EA's excuse was regarding CPU specs needed to run the engine (which seemed to be bull shit given how undemanding it turned out to be). Graphics are the easiest part of a game to add scalability options to, so if the gameplay engine is the same and runs acceptably it should be possible to add options to tone down the graphics if GPU specs are their concern.

AwShucks

I tried PES 2014 on PS3 last night and thought it was garbage. Gave the 2015 demo a try after seeing this thread. It's really fun and looks much better. I think I'll end up buying whichever is the consensus better game eventually.

While I really much preferred the PES series to FIFA, I cannot justify buying a game in the next-gen that is 720p (as an X1 owner). I'm the furthest thing from a resolution whore but that is just unmistakingly bad. I'll stick to FIFA until Konami cleans this up.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
It's great to hear the studio is fully focused making the visuals the top priority in the lead up to launch rather than tinkering and messing with gameplay which, going by the demo, is great so don't mess with it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

so this mean the final build is going to look better than the demo?

Also this is my FIRST soccer game, tried the new fifa demo and something about it just felt off, i feel this game has better animations and flow, however i suck at it. Any good tutorials for pes 15 yet?

LAM09

Looks like a stability update was released by Sony to stop the game crashing on PS4. I didn't notice an update. Did anyone else?

jbw

Banned
I really need a training mode. I don't get the RS trick system at all.

Neither do I, though I've only played like three games so far. Thing is it doesn't seem to list the "easy" or "automatic" (or whatever it's called) trick system in the control explanations either. :(

Business

so this mean the final build is going to look better than the demo?

Also this is my FIRST soccer game, tried the new fifa demo and something about it just felt off, i feel this game has better animations and flow, however i suck at it. Any good tutorials for pes 15 yet?

In my opinion the players have the manoeuvrability of a tank and the intertia of a bullet train, going around a pitch that at times feels like glue and at times almost icy. That's besides the players looking like creepy plastic dolls on low framerate scripted scenes. PES 2015 controls much tighter and graphically the light in the whole scene is just so much better. It's far from perfect and I still think we desperately need a third franchise, but as it is this is leaps and bounds ahead of FIFA.

I still prefer FIFA :s

This game is too weighty for me. All the players feel like they are weighed down by something and can't run properly.

Now in FIFA they're probably too light. No real weight on each player and most can run and turn like Ronaldo, but I'd still take that over PES

It's close though. Not to mention I actually like playing online and I have no faith in Konami with the netcode.

If they fixed that and let you use edited players/teams online I'd go for it

codhand

I still prefer FIFA :s

This game is too weighty for me. All the players feel like they are weighed down by something and can't run properly.

Now in FIFA they're probably too light. No real weight on each player and most can run and turn like Ronaldo, but I'd still take that over PES

It's close though. Not to mention I actually like playing online and I have no faith in Konami with the netcode.

If they fixed that and let you use edited players/teams online I'd go for it

this is so true, it's like the ripped eachother off. PES players always felt really light and zippy, FIFA had the more lumbering style. Now they've reversed. haven't played FIFA 15 yet, but PES 15 is really great based solely on the demo, I don't mind the weightier feel.

m@cross

In my opinion the players have the manoeuvrability of a tank and the intertia of a bullet train, going around a pitch that at times feels like glue and at times almost icy. That's besides the players looking like creepy plastic dolls on low framerate scripted scenes. PES 2015 controls much tighter and graphically the light in the whole scene is just so much better. It's far from perfect and I still think we desperately need a third franchise, but as it is this is leaps and bounds ahead of FIFA.

That about sums it up. With FIFA I feel like I am triggering animation sequences; with PES I feel like I am making constant decisions with my controls.

Nice.

Don't know if this was posted but Weedens made a fantastic Messi compilation:

Messi Comp

how did he flick the ball up at the 50 second mark? didn't see that in the command list.

I've always sucked at pes tricks too, mostly when running at a man trying to beat him. I love the little flicks you can do this year to gain space when you recieve the ball but the rest I'm not so good at :(

Marlenus

So I played this demo and I played the Fifa 15 demo and did a few back to back matches and I think I am going PES this year. I found the midfield play in PES to be better than in Fifa, it really did remind me of PES4 so I am glad to be going back. I did enjoy Fifa though but it did feel more of an arcade end to end style game than PES which required more careful build up.

NoTacos

Going to do a digital download preorder soon. Also, any tips for a novice? I recently started playing on superstar but can't get my dribbling/control technique down and at this difficulty, it matters.
So I played this demo and I played the Fifa 15 demo and did a few back to back matches and I think I am going PES this year. I found the midfield play in PES to be better than in Fifa, it really did remind me of PES4 so I am glad to be going back. I did enjoy Fifa though but it did feel more of an arcade end to end style game than PES which required more careful build up.
FIFA is wierd. They fixed the OP cross headers but nothing matters now except for pace and dribbling. PES does a much better job of balancing it out. Even Ronaldo or Bale can't have a breakaway run without dribbling around a defender or 2, which is a good thing.

PS: on a related note, Messi, Iniesta, and Xavier are a nightmare to deal with on superstar level. Good lord do they give me a hard time attacking and defending against. Good AI programming.

Handy Fake

Going to do a digital download preorder soon. Also, any tips for a novice? I recently started playing on superstar but can't get my dribbling/control technique down and at this difficulty, it matters.

FIFA is wierd. They fixed the OP cross headers but nothing matters now except for pace and dribbling. PES does a much better job of balancing it out. Even Ronaldo or Bale can't have a breakaway run without dribbling around a defender or 2, which is a good thing.

PS: on a related note, Messi, Iniesta, and Xavier are a nightmare to deal with on superstar level. Good lord do they give me a hard time attacking and defending against. Good AI programming.

I'm really hoping they get back to the PES of old, I've never been a FIFA fan. They went from 40 yard top corner volleys to, as you say, pace pace pace. "Football" for the Sky Generation. PES was always the king for your football lovers - the joy was always in the build-up, the finely crafted interplay and the unceremonious, yet glorious, finish.

Top Bottom