• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Squad threatens to take down PSN and Xbox Live this Christmas

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Who do you think ultimately is going to foot the bill for the mitigation services?

End users, obviously because they are where revenue comes from.

Pif

Banned
They are assholes, but so is Sony for not securing their infrastructure, sitting on piles of cas and let random kids with a stupid DdoS attack take down their service just like that.

They are assholes, but so is Sony for not securing their infrastructure, sitting on piles of cas and let random kids with a stupid DdoS attack take down their service just like that.

Didn't they end up getting one of those Lizard Squad turds? I remember reading about that somewhere -- so at least Sony worked with authorities I'm assuming

Straight from mom's basement in Sweden... HACKERMAN!
fev33kelisni.gif

EthanC

Banned
As long as they don't take down whatever servers are housing the Mario Maker levels, Christmas will be fine. I learned last year not to look forward to playing online PS4 games with my nieces and nephews. This year is Mario Kart, Mario Maker, and Super Smash Bros.

Arkam

Turn on firewall. You're welcome Slowny & M$.

That is in no way how it works. Brute force attacks are damn near impossible to stop w/o out throwing ridiculous amounts of hardware at it. XBL & PSN are not set up like FB,amazon, google. They are setup for N number of concurrent connection and requests (plus additional resources live and more that can be spun up for spikes) When you hit them with 10x N they are either going to crash or stop accepting requests. Either way you and I get screwed out of playing during the attack.

Sony is in severe debt. Debt so bad the Japanese government has stepped in. They are not sitting on piles of cash.

That's probably why they don't upgrade. Too expensive for no gain. Very few will choose not to sub because of this.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Xbox live was down for a few hours last year, somehow I doubt it'll be down an entire week this time.

But Dotcom has a point, they've had a year to prepare for these attacks the attacks should be nothing more than a minor inconvenience. If they go down for hours again then that's poor display from Sony & MS.

You can not stop DDoS. No amount of time or effort will fix it. The best you can do is what Microsoft has done, sink billions into infrastructure. But that STILL doesn't stop them.

Dotcom doesn't have a point, he just proved himself totally clueless. Same as everybody who blames the victims.

Incidentally I love how people just "know" that Sony hasn't spent a dime of PSN money on PSN itself. In spite of the fact that if it were true it wouldn't work at all, since the number of users has gone way way up.

I don't know about PSN, but Lizard Scrubs didn't even manage to keep me off Live for a single entire day last year, and Phantom Scrubs won't manage to either. They don't deserve the attention this topic is complicit in giving them.

Uhyve

Sony is in severe debt. Debt so bad the Japanese government has stepped in. They are not sitting on piles of cash.

That's probably why they don't upgrade. Too expensive for no gain. Very few will choose not to sub because of this.
I won't pretend to know anything about the stock market or whatever, but a quick Google search tells me that's not true...:
Sony’s net cash, or cash minus debt, stood at 1.4 trillion yen as of March 31, compared with 826 billion yen in the previous quarter and 500 billion yen a year earlier.

More on topic, I guess I'll just make sure everything's installed and updated before Christmas then. Who plays multiplayer on Christmas day? That's family time.

I won't pretend to know anything about the stock market or whatever, but a quick Google search tells me that's not true...:

More on topic, I guess I'll just make sure everything's installed and updated before Christmas then. Who plays multiplayer on Christmas day? That's family time.

I don't want to sound harsh but your post literally means nothing. Sure they have cash in their bank account, so does every business that's operating. What's their overall debt picture look like? How are their different business segments doing. You can't just say "oh look, they have cash right now, they should upgrade". Sony has been hemorrhaging money up until very recently and some of their segments are still doing it.

What if there aren't really any DDoS "attacks" at Christmas?

What if the number of new consoles across both brands is just such a huge jump that it takes down the servers regardless?

This would be an "ingenious" way to handle that inability to cope with such demand by pointing the finger at someone else.

TP-DK

I love this "Its their fault for not increasing the security" mentality. And if you get killed after being shot, its your fault for not wearing a bulletproof west right..

system11

"It's a security thing", say the trolls.

And media as usual, swallows it and spews it out without understanding that DDoS attacks are not exploiting security flaws, but capacity ones which arise when miserable pieces of shit decide they want to have some fun

The only security problems are the 5 million zombie PCs running Microsofts operating system allowing them to achieve this. It's high time ISPs started some form of default outbound filtering, scanning and automatic disconnection.

Uhyve

I don't want to sound harsh but your post literally means nothing. Sure they have cash in their bank account, so does every business that's operating. What's their overall debt picture look like? How are their different business segments doing. You can't just say "oh look, they have cash right now, they should upgrade". Sony has been hemorrhaging money up until very recently and some of their segments are still doing it.
I was replying to a post saying that they're in severe debt, so I posted an article saying that they seem to have money and are actually increasing their funds. Isn't that their debt picture? Again, no idea what I'm talking about, if you wanna explain it go for it.

Also, I didn't say that they should upgrade, just confused by the debt comment. Last I heard, Sony was actually turning a profit as a whole.

cormack12

Gold Member
To be fair, the issue last time wasn't solely MS and Sony fault. The amplification attacks were taking advantage of inherent security flaws on legitimate servers.

It's nigh on impossible to defend against these if enough requests are used.

NTP Amplification
DNS Amplification
US-CERT

Technically attacking Sony and MS has nothing to do with the actual exploit, as most services will be vulnerable to attacks of this scale. If it was about security then they would just take the open resolvers down instead.

They're doing ti because whatever botnet or hosts they are using is easy to access. That should be the focus of the resolution.

Gives a little insight into the Lizard DDoS near the bottom

At the end of the day it's a gaming network. And we might be pissed because we lose a few days of gaming but it's not worth spending millions of pounds on. In fact I'd urge them not to.

Top Bottom