• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "I honestly don't goal the team on how many units Sony sells"

Skii

Being in 2nd place is often good for the consumer, the first 4 years of last gen the PS3 was getting beaten and so they fell back on games, and over the last few years of the gen ended up with a great library of unique games only on PS3

The Xbone started off poorly, and they too have fallen back on games (all but discarding the motion controls, or at least no longer pushing them as a selling point) and low and behold, the system is now building up a great library of unique and interesting games

But it won't be the same at all.

PS3 released a year later and still managed to claw its way back to the same sales as the Xbox 360 in the end after such a horrendous start. That's how committed Sony were to fixing their iconic brand and getting the consumer back on side. They also keep getting a constant stream of Japanese exclusives that localise regularly in Europe and US. Xbox has never had that. They will never have it.

A great library for Western gamers will never be enough to overcome the PS4. It will come out with games as good or even better and will slay in most multiplatform games because of its additional power.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They should focus on creating a healthy profitable install base. 40-50 million is a healthy base that can still make you a lot of money. Given they've been making money on the box from day one, they should stress too much about matching even the 360. That wont happen. Worry about profit now.

Fliesen

Xbox in 2nd place has to be the best thing to happen to Xbox tbh.

to be accurate: the best thing to everyone who bought the Kinectless Xbox.

the early adopters still got _somewhat_ ripped off. (except for those who really enjoy and use their Kinect, of course)

Xb1 and ms are trying. They show effort while sony sits on their pile of success and do nothing. No great announcements, only 3rds who were bought for timed exclusivity.
Xb1 has better games or at least games i would love to play in the future, games which will be available only on that platform. No mans sky is not enough me in the future.
I hope ms will do fine in this gen....
On the other hand they completely lost the japanese market. WP isnt doing well over there... Its more 50percent for apple over there....

How the tables have turned ey, ey?? (Not that I agree though)

Is Windowsphone doing good anywhere in the world?? (I have one actually)

Xb1 and ms are trying. They show effort while sony sits on their pile of success and do nothing. No great announcements, only 3rds who were bought for timed exclusivity.
Xb1 has better games or at least games i would love to play in the future, games which will be available only on that platform. No mans sky is not enough me in the future.
On the other hand they completely lost the japanese market. WP isnt doing well over there... Its more 50percent for apple over there....

This couldn't be further from the truth. The no games announced part is just ridiculous(see 2016 lineup) and PlayStation is not the system with a major 3rd party timed exclusive deal this Fall. Your objectivity is completely gone(if it ever existed)...

s6glAwQ.gif

Fliesen

Well, I believe Windows 10 install base already bigger than all current gen console combine, he won.

totally.

The fact that there's millions of people upgrading their non-Microsoft-built PC with a free Windows license to purchase games on Valve's store really is a win, already.

driver116

Both Sony and Microsoft announced new games and third party agreements. Sony is yet to have their European conference also.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
When someone uses the words "I honestly..." at the start of a sentence I can't help but think the opposite is true.

TheHater

I wouldn't say that. It's unlikely, but remember the PS3 was leagues behind at this point in its lifecycle of its competition. They rebounded, and so can Xbox.
The ps3 released a year later (18 months in Europe) and managed to outsell the xbox 360 every year in the market. PS3 didn't rebound, it was the 1 year head start that made the Xbox 360 seems as if it was "winning"

Steroyd

Playstation, having no games since 2006.

PS3 released a year later and still managed to claw its way back to the same sales as the Xbox 360 in the end after such a horrendous start. That's how committed Sony were to fixing their iconic brand and getting the consumer back on side. They also keep getting a constant stream of Japanese exclusives that localise regularly in Europe and US. Xbox has never had that. They will never have it.

A great library for Western gamers will never be enough to overcome the PS4. It will come out with games as good or even better and will slay in most multiplatform games because of its additional power.

Although Japanese games aren't really that important from a worldwide view but Sony is the only console company that really care about all markets, while Microsoft is so USA centric (lol at the Eurozone disaster) that it hurts and Nintendo proved that they don't care about developers outside of Japan.

TheHater

I guess Sony e3 was too epic to be real. That or you completely missed it. But your a troll so there that

szaromir

Banned
Microsoft and Nintendo have both lost the war. They need to wait it out and design consoles more in line with customers' expectations. MS is still in better position than Nintendo at least where they get decent sales and can also release their games to the PC market.

This is just inviting a list war :) you really think Sony has had no great announcements? Horizon: Zero Dawn not do anything for you.

I agree 'No Man Sky' is not enough for me in the future either, I will solve this by buying more than just that game.

Xbox One line-up does look great for the rest of 2015 & 2016.

timlot

Banned
totally.

The fact that there's millions of people upgrading their non-Microsoft-built PC with a free Windows license to purchase games on Valve's store really is a win, already.

A windows license was purchased some time in the past so it isn't really free. Every modern OS from android, ios, and even MacOS offers free upgrades now.

cyba89

Surprise. Grown business man don't care about childish console wars. Such a thing exists solely among fanboys.
His aim is to be financially successful and create a healthy consumer base.

but I can already see how this thread might go down.

They can't win and he is being realistic. I guess Xbox pushing foward like they are is the only way to go. I still think they will sell 100 million units.

rob305

So many embarassing posts in here. These are the threads where you see who the true console warriors are on this forum

viHuGi

Banned
They cant win because Xbox One was a bad bad bad console at the reveal and people got pissed and bought Ps4, those people have friends, they tell their friends to buy a Ps4 not a Xbox One.

Over here Xbox One has the worse rep i´ve ever witness, so reveal killed any chance of Xbox win this Gen, Ps4 is the new PS2 :)

EDIT: i still hope Xbox sells amazing, over 80m like 360. Competition is good!

DY1GY10.png

DSN2K

to be fair that's likely how he sells it to his boss when he/she asks why the PS4 has sold so much more.

Its a shame his words dont translate into more PC support mind.

Miles X

They cant win because Xbox One was a bad bad bad console at the reveal and people got pissed and bought Ps4, those people have friends, they tell their friends to buy a Ps4 not a Xbox One.

Over here Xbox One has the worse rep i´ve ever witness, so reveal killed any chance of Xbox win this Gen, Ps4 is the new PS2 :)

It's not tho, it's not anywhere near this. And when you look at the libraries it's certainly not the case.

I agree with first part of your posts tho, it doesn't really matter what MS will do they'll never win this gen. And Sony can afford to be less aggressive as they have been.

As long as MS continue what they're doing now tho they'll stand a good chance next gen.

oni-link

I don't think the Xbone will get close to the PS4 in terms of sales, my point was more about as a consumer we're more likely to benefit from MS (or anyone) being in 2nd, as typically the console in 2nd place will need to push as many great games out as possible in order to stake any claim at all, and we can already see this happening, MS have a great line up for 2015 and beyond

Look at the Wii U even, it's already got more great games than the Wii, when your system is doing poorly you really need to push out great games

You feel better now?

Of course not, that's stupid.

You look at your competitor sales, the marketplace, the opportunities, assess all of the internal and external factors of your product environment, and if you're smart, set smart goals that ensure the growth and longevity of your organisation.

Syntsui

It's not tho, it's not anywhere near this. And when you look at the libraries it's certainly not the case.

I agree with first part of your posts tho, it doesn't really matter what MS will do they'll never win this gen. And Sony can afford to be less aggressive as they have been.

As long as MS continue what they're doing now tho they'll stand a good chance next gen.

Isn't it selling more than PS2 at the same period, only losing to Wii?

They can't win and he is being realistic. I guess Xbox pushing foward like they are is the only way to go. I still think they will sell 100 million units.

No way they are getting anywhere near that, the 360 or PS3 never sold that many units. The sales are just not there for MS in Europe or Japan for 100 million to be possible.

pants

That doesn't make sense. They need so many people as possible in their ecosystem for whatever they are doing next gen.

I'd rather they focus on getting first party development, AR and other tech up and running than throwing marketing money at a lost cause.

Quite surprising how the basic spelling and punctuation takes a downturn when everybody's rushing to get their fanboy point across, eh?

Actually remarkable when you compare this to practically any other thread from the last 24 hours.

sora87

But they were second last gen, maybe even third...

I thought they were third in the gamecube/xbox og/ps2 era too, but looks like they beat gamecube by 2 million.
Still, it's strange people expected Xbox One to win this gen easily considering Playstation has always outsold it.

Aceofspades

Banned
People Saying that Sony is setting on their success doing nothing are clearly didn't see E3, or Morpheous. Its mindboggling to see PS4 having the most games released on consoles, most upcoming games and exclusives and yet people ignore that for whatever reasons.

MS is doing alright turning things around but nothing really exceptional.

packy34

I wouldn't say that. It's unlikely, but remember the PS3 was leagues behind at this point in its lifecycle of its competition. They rebounded, and so can Xbox.

Sony has studios and exclusives that Microsoft just can't match, IMO. That's what helped elevate the PS3 late in its life. It would be tough to say the least for the XB1 to do something similar.

RibMan

More at source: Source

I thought it was very interesting contrast to the interview Phil Spencer's interview from almost one year ago to the day when Phil Spencer said "I want to win this generation"

Actually here is the contrasting interview from a year ago where he talks about winning sales: I want to win this generation

What a difference a year makes. He sounds less confident than he did a in the older interview I posted. Perhaps he understands the potential of PS4's eventual "limited edition" Battlefront and BOPS3 bundles in the same season.

Sell me for less if old.

To be fair, a year ago, it was still unclear whether the Xbox One would be able to catch up to the PS4 in sales. Yes, Microsoft has a very well-documented history of changing their PR tune, but I believe that the Xbox team did, at one point, believe that they could catch up to the PS4 in sales.

In a lot of ways they still do, which is why Microsoft are still partnering with retail chains on cut-throat Xbox One deals e.g. GameStop trade-in discount, TV comes with Xbox, swim trunks come with Xbox etc. That last one isn't real yet, but they are absolutely doing all they can do to make up the marketshare gap. The shot clock is running out and they're down by 20 points, but they're still going to see this through.

Will they ever have more marketshare than the PS4? No. The Xbox One can absolutely make a comeback in the US -- and possibly the UK -- but the PS4 will remain the market leader in every other territory. The Xbox One is simply too much of an 'America first' product, so much so that people are surprised when Microsoft announces events for other territories. The PS4 is a global product, and the success Sony has seen on the console is a direct result of the console's worldwide appeal.

It's clear that Microsoft's strategy for the One is nostalgia (e.g. Backwards compatibility, Rare Replay, Gears of War remake), and it's absolutely going to work in the short-term. People are going to replace their negative perceptions about the One with positive perceptions thanks to the Xbox 360 and original Xbox. In the long-term, they will need a different strategy, because there's only so much nostalgia milking you can do before the market asks "Where's the new stuff?". Sony came dangerously close to falling victim to this market sentiment, and if it wasn't for Bloodborne and Rocket League, they would have found themselves to be the recipient of a lot of negative press.

It kinda is, seeing as how it's about Phil Spencer talking about his mindset in regards to Sony numbers.

What he said is fine and makes sense. It's just that he said the exact opposite when asked this question last year. But really it's just a logical shift in expectations and nothing more. Non-story.

Hes a grown ass man lol. console wars probably do not matter in the halls of sony and MS. competition is obviously like, talked about and planned for, but if anyone actually thinks phil spencer's job is to "beat sony" youre crazy

I thought they were third in the gamecube/xbox og/ps2 era too, but looks like they beat gamecube by 2 million.
Still, it's strange people expected Xbox One to win this gen easily considering Playstation has always outsold it.

Americans maybe because Sony outsold the Xbox everywhere except the USA and UK (and maybe in some obscure country). Based on the WW sales and the performance in pretty much all countries Microsoft was in the worst position of all three companies.

Top Bottom