• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "I honestly don't goal the team on how many units Sony sells"

Steroyd

Look at the Wii U even, it's already got more great games than the Wii, when your system is doing poorly you really need to push out great games

Haha Wut, I may have hated on Nintendo's Wii___ titles, but I can't see this being close to true just based on the third party efforts that's non-existent on the WiiU.

nynt9

Xb1 and ms are trying. They show effort while sony sits on their pile of success and do nothing. No great announcements, only 3rds who were bought for timed exclusivity.
Xb1 has better games or at least games i would love to play in the future, games which will be available only on that platform. No mans sky is not enough me in the future.
I hope ms will do fine in this gen....
On the other hand they completely lost the japanese market. WP isnt doing well over there... Its more 50percent for apple over there....

Posts like this always make me wonder if they're ignorant or trolling. How are Horizon and Last Guardian not exclusives? Microsoft bought Tomb Raider as a timed exclusive. Is this bizarro world?

Scrawnton

tumblr_inline_nryt9jEqd61sx8g04_500.gif

he kind of has a point. ive been a day one owner of all the playstations, and the PS4 feels like sony is barely trying to satisfy customers compared to what xbox is doing. Yeah they have awesome indy and 3rd party deals, but there are things fans want that sony is flat out ignoring.

TBiddy

Hes a grown ass man lol. console wars probably do not matter in the halls of sony and MS. competition is obviously like, talked about and planned for, but if anyone actually thinks phil spencer's job is to "beat sony" youre crazy

This. So much this.

Of course they have targets and numbers they wish to reach. As long as they reach them, they probably don't care too much how many consoles Sony are selling.

It's not like the CEOs from MS and Sony meet up and have their own list wars.

I wouldn't say that. It's unlikely, but remember the PS3 was leagues behind at this point in its lifecycle of its competition. They rebounded, and so can Xbox.

The PS3 never "rebounded", from the moment they launched they outsold the Xbox 360 world-wide, up until fairly recently.

US media was so busy writing clickbait articles about the death of Sony and the PS3 that they convinced a lot of people of a history that did not happen.

Hes a grown ass man lol. console wars probably do not matter in the halls of sony and MS. competition is obviously like, talked about and planned for, but if anyone actually thinks phil spencer's job is to "beat sony" youre crazy

Of course "console wars" matters. No one at Microsoft is okay with that Sony can run circles around them saleswise with basically the same hardware.

Miles X

he kind of has a point. ive been a day one owner of all the playstations, and the PS4 feels like sony is barely trying to satisfy customers compared to what xbox is doing. Yeah they have awesome indy and 3rd party deals, but there are things fans want that sony is flat out ignoring.

PS4 has a lot of indies and a few top tier titles (Bloodbourne arguably being the best exclusive between the two systems) and games like Horizon look like they'll be amazing too.

XB1 has more AAA/AA exclusives by far but none have really been incredible.

I guess they're delivering in different ways, but MS seem to be putting more effort in. As seen by their exclusive holiday line up blowing Sony's out of the water for the 2nd year in a row.

They probably want the game industry to jump onto their cloud solutions.

PS4 has a lot of indies and a few top tier titles (Bloodbourne arguably being the best exclusive between the two systems) and games like Horizon look like they'll be amazing too.

XB1 has more AAA/AA exclusives by far but none have really been incredible.

I guess they're delivering in different ways, but MS seem to be putting more effort in. As seen by their exclusive holiday line up blowing Sony's out of the water for the 2nd year in a row.

That is kinda how i remember Sony line up.
The only thing that really sticked out are Horizon(this will be a system seller if GG doesn't fucks up) and UC4.

Not that indies are unimportant but its not something i would buy a console while having a
capable laptop and desktop. Same could be said with MS win 10/ X1 crossbuy titles.

Which makes complete sense for any company to do.

A console doesn't have to be the best-selling to be successful.

Furthermore, sales aren't exactly the best barometer for success. For instance, while PS3 sold well, it was most certainly a failure (given the astronomical financial and market share losses incurred). You could argue that the PlayStation doesn't need to be profitable if it can act as a loss leader / trojan horse for other Sony content (music, movies etc.), but Sony as a whole aren't doing very well right now and PlayStation is about the only relevant consumer brand they have left so they best not squander it.

The difference between Sony and Microsoft is that Sony has managed to turn a net profit from their video game business LTD. Still, if you compare it to Nintendo (aligned), that profit is comparatively small - even though some people on this very board would surely argue that Sony has been more successful.

I can understand this point of view, but I think the landscape will look a lot different after TGS and Paris Game Week. After these events we will have a clearer picture of what Sony have and how it compares to MS.

I have to say though MS have got me wanting to pick up a Xbox One next year, I was hoping to wait until they announced the Slim before I gave in and bought one.

heringer

The PS3 never "rebounded", from the moment they launched they outsold the Xbox 360 world-wide, up until fairly recently.

US media was so busy writing clickbait articles about the death of Sony and the PS3 that they convinced a lot of people of a history that did not happen.

Wasn't the 360 ahead in software sales for quite some time?

Of course "console wars" matters. No one at Microsoft is okay with that Sony can run circles around them saleswise with basically the same hardware.

This is quote from last year:

"At some level, it is a competition, and I've said before I want to win," Spencer tells us. "At the same time, I want to build a great platform for gamers. If somebody else does that to, and they do really well? Hats off to them, but I can have success in our own space if we're selling a lot of consoles and people are buying games."

It doesn't get any clearer than that. Now his focus is mostly on the latter part of that statement. But to suggest he wants to win is clearly just console warz and nothing he would actually ever think about...

Miles X

They probably want the game industry to jump onto their cloud solutions.

That is kinda how i remember Sony line up.
The only thing that really sticked out are Horizon(this will be a system seller if GG doesn't fucks up) and UC4.

Not that indies are unimportant but its not something i would buy a console while having a
capable laptop and desktop. Same could be said with MS win 10/ X1 crossbuy titles.

Well, they were never this huge thing last gen, I don't see how it's any different now, especially as IMO there are less amazing ones. I've seen nothing that rivals Braid, Castle Crashers ect.

timlot

Banned

While I don't doubt they would like to be ahead of Sony, if you have ever listen to Micrososft earnings call they are more focused on company revenue overall. Even questions from investors are mostly about the commercial business side. Xbox division will probably never make much profit but it is just a revenue generator for the company.

Sony has studios and exclusives that Microsoft just can't match, IMO. That's what helped elevate the PS3 late in its life. It would be tough to say the least for the XB1 to do something similar.

Honestly the Only exclusive studio I see worth buying a ps4 for is Naughty Dog. The others are pretty meh. Guerrilla might get me to buy one of they can nail Horizon right

Cleve

does Microsoft really see every PC Gamer as a xbox consumer?

That depends entirely on if they can spin them to match whatever message they are trying to send. Really though, despite what a small number want to pretend, Microsoft do not see PC gamers as Xbox users. If they did, they wouldn't be afraid to release their top tier games on the platform.

Well, they were never this huge thing last gen, I don't see how it's any different now, especially as IMO there are less amazing ones. I've seen nothing that rivals Braid, Castle Crashers ect.

Games like the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Spelunky, and Rocket League rival those games.

You, personally, may like Braid and Castle Crashers better but it's not objectively true that they are better.

That depends entirely on if they can spin them to match whatever message they are trying to send. Really though, despite what a small number want to pretend, Microsoft do not see PC gamers as Xbox users. If they did, they wouldn't be afraid to release their top tier games on the platform.

Microsoft has an extra money stream on their console platform in the form of live,
they tried it on pc and failed hard.

This is quote from last year:

It doesn't get any clearer than that. Now his focus is mostly on the latter part of that statement. But to suggest he wants to win is clearly just console warz and nothing he would actually ever think about...

That's some defence force nonsense. It's not that Sony is selling the PS4 for a crazy low price but it was even Microsoft who tried to gain market share with all kinds of sales deals. I would bet money that Sony makes more profit with a Ps4 than Microsoft with its Xbox One.

With selling way less hardware and software units than what could be possible (see Sony) they are failing. In many countries outside of the USA they aren't even relevant anymore, so the talk about a healthy business is even plain wrong.

Shinjica

Xb1 and ms are trying. They show effort while sony sits on their pile of success and do nothing. No great announcements, only 3rds who were bought for timed exclusivity.
Xb1 has better games or at least games i would love to play in the future, games which will be available only on that platform. No mans sky is not enough me in the future.
On the other hand they completely lost the japanese market. WP isnt doing well over there... Its more 50percent for apple over there....

yeah...

The Xbox One might have a chance to trail or even slight go ahead of PS4 in US a& UK but taken as a whole globally, i don't think even the most hardcore Xbox fanboy or Phil Spencer himself can lie to themselves that the Xbox One is ever going to catchup.

For the Xbox One to 'win' globally over the PS4 will requires jesus himself to rise from the grave, holding an Xbox and pimping it...and even that won't be a guarantee for Asian countries............LOL

So it make sense to just do whatever the best they can instead of going on a fool's errand.

You underestimate hardcore xbox fanboys, lol.

I generally think that it is a good business idea to stop thinking of business as a business-business competition and more as a space for costumer-business cooperation.

It likely still is, 360 is still ahead in hardware, we've heard nothing to the contrary.

Are you sure about this, plenty of sites reported the PS3 passed the 360 quite some time ago.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/how-the-playstation-3-won-the-console-war-1196215
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...ad-of-xbox-360-with-77-million-consoles-sold/

you would think red ringed consoles must have effected console sales, I bought three 360s during the generation.

Oh, it's you again.

Miles X

Games like the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Spelunky, and Rocket League rival those games.

You, personally, may like Braid and Castle Crashers better but it's not objectively true that they are better.

I, personally, didn't think Braid was amazing and didn't even buy Castle Crashers.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i live in europe and the cheapest xbox one i can buy is 350 euro = 388.96 dollar.

i already have an ps4 with about 20 games.

389 bucks gives me a xboxone with MCC
is this a good deal or should i wait for it to drop ?

super thanks !!

leeh

What is with this thread and title? Why don't you actually call it by the article title and discuss the actual interview rather than extract certain points to fuel a console/list war.

TomShoe

Banned
i live in europe and the cheapest xbox one i can buy is 350 euro = 388.96 dollar.

i already have an ps4 with about 20 games.

389 bucks gives me a xboxone with MCC
is this a good deal or should i wait for it to drop ?

super thanks !!

Depends on how bad you want it. Deals are going to be out in full force about 3 months from now, so I'd suggest you wait.

Miles X

Are you sure about this, plenty of sites reported the PS3 passed the 360 quite some time ago.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/how-the-playstation-3-won-the-console-war-1196215
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...ad-of-xbox-360-with-77-million-consoles-sold/

you would think red ringed consoles must have effected console sales, I bought three 360s during the generation.

They were reporting PS2/PS3 combined sales. Last figures we have is 360 passing 80m a month before PS3 did.

I think holiday before last 360 did 2:1 over PS3 sales as well.

They basically tied, unless we get final figures at the end. MS and Sony are being staying tight lipped.

Trojan

I disagree. Numbers against competitors truly matter. Like in any business, you goal-set to what you think you can achieve and sometimes stretch that a little to push the team. When you realize that isn't obtainable, you rethink those goals to a more realistic scenario. That's exactly what happened here given that Phil is previously on record saying he wanted to win the generation.

He's just doing what most leaders do in these situations. Take it for what you will.

Melchiah

Doing the right thing, they probably can't win this generation but the race to win the next generation has already begun (momentum/mindshare) and that they can win.

Maybe in NA and UK, but most likely not elsewhere, considering Sony's least successful console beat their best in EU and Japan.

allan-bh

Completely inaccurate.

We don't have data for say which console is ahead now, but is kinda irrelevant, both are very close for sure.

Mexen

Interesting. MS has been doing a lot of things right lately.

by 'goal the team' does he mean 'set targets for the team'? Horrible use of language. We have enough verbs, stop making new ones.

I thought this too immediately I saw the title but English isn't my first language so I ignored it.

I get where you're coming from to an extent.

But MS can only blame themselves also for perpetuating console sales competition.

Saying shit during 360 era like "The first to 10 million wins" has only set the precedent by which some people will judge them.

They were reporting PS2/PS3 combined sales. Last figures we have is 360 passing 80m a month before PS3 did.

I think holiday before last 360 did 2:1 over PS3 sales as well.

They basically tied, unless we get final figures at the end. MS and Sony are being staying tight lipped.

Are you talking about US? seems very unlikely worldwide. I agree sales last Gen are very close, lets just agree and say Wii sold the most consoles :)

Top Bottom