• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Talks Importance of Failure and Adding PC DNA to Microsofts Studios, Explains Why Microsoft Is Sticking with E3; Wants to Do X0 Again.

GMan72

Neo Member
When you contrast the last time XB introduced a new AAA ip VS how many years Phil has been doing the same tired PR...

Seriously ... if you're still thinking like this with all the shit MS has been doing over the last couple of years and not at least mildly excited for Xbox next gen with everything coming down the the pipeline, there's no hope for you. You may as well stick to PC and invest in consoles from other hardware manufacturers. They aren't even done buying studios yet and the ones they have are creating new games as we speak.

And how IN THE HELL does Phil come off as a snake-oil salesman??? Dude.....REALLY????
Who cares about what they're doing now and have been doing for YEARS that's going to bear fruition years from now, what are they doing in the here and now that's going to bolster their platform, result in high quality game releases, appease their existing community of 40+ million NOW?

It's hard to be excited when this generation for Xbox has been nothing but a perpetual state of "just wait a little longer, it will happen". People are getting tired of waiting, now this doesn't mean I hate my Xbox One or that I even dislike it, but there's nothing to be excited about. Studio acquisitions in 2018? Well that's fascinating and all but what has been happening for the last four years? Rinse and repeat, Halo, Gears, Forza with some middle tiers games mixed throughout, it's uninspiring, and unconvincing that they've actually managed to remedy any of this.

Even Matt Booty at X018 said "We have Ori, Gears and Crackdown 3 coming in 2019"... I mean come on man, that's supposed to hold the communities interest in the platform? You're getting way too offended around a bad situation that continually fails to bear fruit. Xbox put themselves into a PlayStation 3 situation this generation but were too stupid to fix it with high quality exclusives. Sony screwed themselves at the beginning of last generation but completely eradicated the problem by pushing out great game, after great game for the second half of the generation, Xbox is not doing that. It's been mediocrity throughout and looks as if it's going to continue on that trend until the Xbox One is replaced.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Who cares about what they're doing now and have been doing for YEARS that's going to bear fruition years from now, what are they doing in the here and now that's going to bolster their platform, result in high quality game releases, appease their existing community of 40+ million?

It's hard to be excited when this generation for Xbox has been nothing but a perpetual state of "just wait a little longer, it will happen". People are getting tired of waiting, now this doesn't mean I hate my Xbox One or that I even dislike it, but there's nothing to be excited about. Studio acquisitions in 2018? Well that's fascinating and all but what has been happening for the last four years? Rinse and repeat, Halo, Gears, Forza with some middle tiers games mixed throughout, it's uninspiring, and unconvincing that they've actually managed to remedy any of this.

Even Matt Booty at X018 said "We have Ori, Gears and Crackdown 3 coming in 2019"... I mean come on man, that's supposed to hold the communities interest in the platform? You're getting way too offended around a bad situation that continually fails to bear fruit.
Actually, I remember (and so do many others) where MS were at the beginning of this gen. It's no secret. But to completely ignore all the things that have been done since Spencer took over; BC GP, Enhancements, the X and studio acquisitions - that's just bad, bad form. Plainly put, you can't bitch about MS not having games and they need to bolster their 1st party output, and then STILL bitch after they've made huge investments in fixing just that. How ignorant and entitled can you be, FFS.

The fact that they've made these huge investments on bringing in 1st party games and studios is the best reason to be excited. They're actually fixing the very problems you just mentioned. How the hell does that work, exactly???? Some of you guys are full of shit AND salt. Jesus!

Actually, I remember (and so do many others) where MS were at the beginning of this gen. It's no secret. But to completely ignore all the things that have been done since Spencer took over; BC GP, Enhancements, the X and studio acquisitions - that's just bad, bad form. Plainly put, you can't bitch about MS not having games and they need to bolster their 1st party output, and then STILL bitch after they've made huge investments in fixing just that. How ignorant and entitled can you be, FFS.

The fact that they've made these huge investments on bringing in 1st party games and studios is the best reason to be excited. They're actually fixing the very problems you just mentioned. How the hell does that work, exactly???? Some of you guys are full of shit AND salt. Jesus!
Real talk.

Gavon West

Phil Spencer should shut the fuck up and walk the walk not just talk the talk. Getting little tired of him by now
200.gif

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Why so many people get angry at Phil? MS is more than obviously setting up for the start of next generation, there's not much they can do anymore for this generation, nor it's worth as it's coming to an end anyway. They aren't even releasing Forza 8 next year, as they're most likely saving in as a launch title for next Xbox. And yet, people act like "they bought so many new studios yesterday, so next week they should show us all those new games! Right? Right?? Phill where are those damn games ffs!?!"... Of course he's gonna talk that talk whenever asked in interviews about what's going on around Xbox, but how much of it will translate into actual actions and results, we will get to see in 2020 at earliest.

People are frustrated that they have to wait until next generation. Phil may not be directly to blame, but people are going to look at him because he's currently the face of the Xbox brand.

I so love the ignore user feature. Sometimes I click the 'show ignored content' and it confirms why I did it in the first place!

EDMIX

When you contrast the last time XB introduced a new AAA ip VS how many years Phil has been doing the same tired PR...

I mean, its not completely his fault. He can only do what MS oks. They had a bad foundation and Phil was likely limited by what he could do for this gen. Think about it like this. Horizon Zero Dawn started development in 2011, comes out in 2017 winning lots of awards and breaking lots of sales records for Sony. Phil can't GO BACK IN TIME to start something like that, he is basically screwed by MS's old plan that basically hurt what they'd have for most of that gen.

So even as much as I don't like MS, my reasons are based on how they've tried to do business, I can't just hate on Phil for something that was basically out of his control and something they just can't really do mid gen. By 2014, it was clear Sony has had some plan for years in the making and Phil can't really do much about that, but what he can do is simply prepare for the next gen.

So I think Phil has done a good a job as MS has allowed and I believe he convince MS higher ups to allow for the bigger budget on those teams so he can actually do the job in the first place. So I can't just cast all the blame on Phil as if he was telling MS in 2011 not to start new AAA IP or something.

That was all MS. Never mind Don or Phil, consider MS was OK with what was happening in the first place.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
We've heard about Microsoft caring about pc gamers from Phil since circa 2014.
I mean, for their first party stuff they've pretty much delivered.

Oh, wait. This is about you wanting them to be on Steam for some stupid reason isn't it?

MUH LIBRARY AND OARGUNIZASHUN!

Last edited:

GMan72

Neo Member
I mean, its not completely his fault. He can only do what MS oks. They had a bad foundation and Phil was likely limited by what he could do for this gen. Think about it like this. Horizon Zero Dawn started development in 2011, comes out in 2017 winning lots of awards and breaking lots of sales records for Sony. Phil can't GO BACK IN TIME to start something like that, he is basically screwed by MS's old plan that basically hurt what they'd have for most of that gen.

So even as much as I don't like MS, my reasons are based on how they've tried to do business, I can't just hate on Phil for something that was basically out of his control and something they just can't really do mid gen. By 2014, it was clear Sony has had some plan for years in the making and Phil can't really do much about that, but what he can do is simply prepare for the next gen.

So I think Phil has done a good a job as MS has allowed and I believe he convince MS higher ups to allow for the bigger budget on those teams so he can actually do the job in the first place. So I can't just cast all the blame on Phil as if he was telling MS in 2011 not to start new AAA IP or something.

That was all MS. Never mind Don or Phil, consider MS was OK with what was happening in the first place.

None of this address what I actually said. I'm tired of the same old spiel from MS irrespective of what CEO is delivering the message.

EDMIX

I mean, for their first party stuff they've pretty much delivered.

Oh, wait. This is about you wanting them to be on Steam for some stupid reason isn't it?

MUH LIBRARY AND OARGUNIZASHUN!

Well I don't think its a stupid reason. Folks wouldn't need to feel that way if they actually took care of their store. I normally don't care how I get the game on PC, but MS has done just such a poor job with their set up that of course many just want those games on Steam.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Well I don't think its a stupid reason. Folks wouldn't need to feel that way if they actually took care of their store. I normally don't care how I get the game on PC, but MS has done just such a poor job with their set up that of course many just want those games on Steam.
I still contend it's a stupid reason. I will agree with you that the MS store has a lot of work to do. Hell, they've been brutal so far.

But here's the thing. The Steam argument is in my opinion stupid. I have Steam, GOG, and Origin installed and I don't care. It doesn't bother me. Just like I have an Xbox, a PS4, and a Switch and I don't care about switching my TV feed.

Hell, Steam even allows you to attach that game to their portal so you can have it in your library. Even a couple clicks is even too much for some of these people and don't understand why perhaps, just perhaps these publishers don't want to give Valve 30%

Last edited:

EDMIX

None of this address what I actually said. I'm tired of the same old spiel from MS irrespective of what CEO is delivering the message.

.Oh it did though. At this point all they can do is give their PR message of what they got planned, they just can't go back in time and have a whole different set up. You expect them to just come out and say "we screwed up, have very little planned outside of Halo, Gears and Forza" ??

They are still a business. Simply don't take so much stock in the PR talk, they still need to market the product.

EDMIX

I still contend it's a stupid reason. I will agree with you that the MS store has a lot of work to do. Hell, they've been brutal so far.

But here's the thing. The Steam argument is in my opinion stupid. I have Steam, GOG, and Origin installed and I don't care. It doesn't bother me. Just like I have an Xbox, a PS4, and a Switch and I don't care about switching my TV feed.

Hell, Steam even allows you to attach that game to their portal so you can have it in your library. Even a couple clicks is even too much for some of these people and don't understand why perhaps, just perhaps these publishers don't want to give Valve 30%

" I have Steam, GOG, and Origin installed and I don't care. " Same. I think its because MS set up is so bad, so I might say Steam would better, but if they just fixed their set up, I would be ok with it. We might say steam now as we've given up on MS trying to fix it.

Gavon West

I'm confused. First you go on a rampage about Microsoft not having exclusives, how they aren't to be trusted for at least a generation until they prove themselves, buying studios is no big deal, basically go ham on the Xbox brand as a whole, even stated that you find nothing to your liking from Xbox, yet, you would be willing to buy their games if they were on Steam? Kinda hypocritical isn't it? Genuine question.

Last edited:
So here's the thing:

Yes, Phil has been the head of xbox since 2014. However, before September 2017, he reported to Terry Myerson, who didnt allocate much funds of the division to Xbox. In September 2017, Phil got promoted, and now he's on the MS board of directors, and reports directly to Nadella. He has more say in the company now more than ever, which is why MS finally opened it's warchest to Xbox.

Now, 14 months later, Microsoft have acquired 7 new studios. Though the fruits of this hard work is still 2 years off at least.

So here's the thing:

Yes, Phil has been the head of xbox since 2014. However, before September 2017, he reported to Terry Myerson, who didnt allocate much funds of the division to Xbox. In September 2017, Phil got promoted, and now he's on the MS board of directors, and reports directly to Nadella. He has more say in the company now more than ever, which is why MS finally opened it's warchest to Xbox.

Now, 14 months later, Microsoft have acquired 7 new studios. Though the fruits of this hard work is still 2 years off at least.

Imagine if Phil had the power he has had in the last year since 2014. They would have been making a serious dent into Playstation & Nintendo now. Oh well, it still will happen but in 2021.

More PC DNA? Keep up that kind of talk and follow through with it. You just might make a fan of me, MS.
Looking forward to the future where I finally own an MS game that I can call a classic.

I like Phil. He seems like a cool guy but I get the salesman thing people mention.

He is really good at coming across like he is committed to Xbox fans but only time will tell.

I am probably never going to buy into that ecosystem again but I really do hope that the brand excels for their fans.

Aintitcool

Banned
With Nintendo and Sony out of E3. I donno how MS can think they should stay. Although they can use this as an opportunity to push PC.

EDMIX

Imagine if Phil had the power he has had in the last year since 2014. They would have been making a serious dent into Playstation & Nintendo now. Oh well, it still will happen but in 2021.

Agreed. It wouldn't be as bad as it is now. Maybe MS will see Phil is on to something with actually having teams make games to get better sales

Gavon West

So here's the thing:

Not so. There are at least two new IP's coming next year that we know about. No telling how many we haven't heard about yet. We'll see new games well before gen 9 comes 'round.

Aintitcool

Banned
How they think they can stay? How do you mean?
They will be the only console manufacturer still working with the E3 association. I think the reason Nintendo and Sony left is because once they became open to the public, and started charging crazy amounts for tickets, they pocketed most of it, and still expected manufacturers to continue paying the same amount they used too. While adding the huge costs of having to deal with way more unprofessional people. Just very corrupt. Japanese companies hate these those sort of practices.

Last edited:

Barakov

I think they need to hit it out of the park at E3 in 2019. Phil does the talk very well but now he needs to walk the walk. We know Gears 5 is coming (probably) next year. They need to show Battletoads, Halo Infinite and whatever else they're cooking up. And they better do something with 3rd party as well. They'd be foolish to not have the next COD on stage next year. This would be their E3 to lose if they fucked up this golden opportunity.

EDMIX

They will be the only console manufacturer still working with the E3 association. I think the reason Nintendo and Sony left is because once they became open to the public, and started charging crazy amounts for tickets, they pocketed most of it, and still expected manufacturers to continue paying the same amount they used too. While adding the huge costs of having to deal with way more unprofessional people. Just very corrupt. Japanese companies hate these those sort of practices.

Agreed. With youtube basically being able to broadcast to billions, its easier and cheaper for them to do that instead of have a whole event. Look at Cyberpunk with its gameplay vid. Over 11 million views and didn't need to be on some big stage.

Who here is buying that game based on being on a stage? lol

We all buying it based on ANY footage we can find, so I think Nintendo and Sony are on to something and maybe these big events yearly are coming to an end. We might start getting them only a few times a gen.

I like Phil Spencer, he is candid, come across as genuine, a goober even and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Don Mattrick and the "suits" over at MS did great harm to the Xbox brand in 2013 because their goal was to get a MS box to be the center of the living room. Games were obviously not a priority.

Spencer has slowly turned it around and he done just yet. Mutiple, complete reworks of the UI, the Elite controller, the adaptive controller, the focus and investment on BC, the investment in Xbox One X (which imo will serve as a springboard for what their next console will be) Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Play Anywhere, and lastly MS' massive investment in new studios is a firm signal to gamers and fans of the Xbox brand that they are here to stay and to "win".

Spencer has been a wily general manager, trading players, signing players from free agency etc all to make a championship run when the next generation begins.

Moreover, one fact that many of us are missing is that MS & by extension Xbox is trying to upend the industry and change it how it works, or at the very least change how it traditionally works. MS is finally leveraging all the trades it is good at & using its giant warchest to finally make a run at the crown. They know that the future is streaming and they're chasing that Netflix model. But they realize that it starts and ends with content. It's not just about buying studios but about having an infrastructure and pipeline in place that has a light touch, a supportive touch that lets these developers flourish.

I honestly think people are afraid of a world where MS is leading and controlling the video game industry. So when Phil makes another power move it scares people into thinking MS is one step closer to domination, but what the hell do I know? :)

HeresJohnny

I honestly think people are afraid of a world where MS is leading and controlling the video game industry. So when Phil makes another power move it scares people into thinking MS is one step closer to domination, but what the hell do I know? :)
Well right now they’re about 35 million steps away from domination so those fears seem pretty unfounded.

Gavon West

I honestly think you may be right - especially if this generation is anything to go by.

Three

So here's the thing:

I don't think Terry was some gatekeeper to the 'warchest'. In 2014 MS dumped f*cking $2.5 Billion into Mojang with Terry there. The small studio acquisitions are chump change compared to that. There is no excuses. The only reason it didn't happen before is because it didn't strategically and financially make sense.

Elenchus

Banned
What happened to Louis, did anyone take a cap of that post, must have been something really fierce if it was removed.....Bummer!

As for Phil and MS, I feel they're going about things the wrong way, they seem to be reactionary more than anything to gain momentum for their brand.....and it's clearly not working....It's like this; Sony said they're not doing PSX and E3, sudenly Phil pretends to be a marketing agent for E3 and how important it is for the industry, no PSX from Sony so he goes full throttle on X018, but I watched that show and it was really bad, forced hype, no new games to show for current gen, nothing.....Current Xbox owners are pretending they're living for the future, no, current xbox owners deserve quality content now, not next gen, they didn't buy an XBOX-ONE, with the hopes that things will get better next round, where they still have to buy another box.........It's like Phil is insulting the intelligence of current Xbox owners.....

Prior to the whole E3 thing, there was Crossplay, MS pushed that hard and had teams like Bethesda push that hard, even though Sony had more CP games and have been pushing that since PS2.....They only did so because Sony refused CP with them, not because they're were genuinely invested, the same way Bethesda was all talk about crossplay.....You see, it bites hard when you're being disingenuous about things, that's why we have Fallout 76 in the state it is. Just because the competitor is not doing something, (E3, PSX, CP with MS fullboard) does not mean that you should pony up on these things and double down on twitter and in interviews, as if that will give you favor.......The competiton is thriving on great games now, not the hope of great games next gen, we're dealing with the current gen and not the next....we're dealing with the current investment, the base there has to be satified......So if they did not deliver this gen, how confident are people going to be in the next.....Again, hype for current acquisitions does not make XBTWO a seller, it really does not because nextgen, it will still be about great games....

Another mistake people make about this whole XBOX generation, they feel XBOX failed only because it had less power.....Yet, it's all MS's decisions at fault......So MS killed Kinect and re-deployed all of it's hardware rsources to devs, so they would be closer in DF faceoffs, they put in UHD in the slim and sang the praises of UHD when few people buying a xbox-slim console "which barely does 1080p" would have a 4k set for UHD, even now that console is seeing lots of 720p games towards the bitter end......Why would you have a 4k set with such a console, just to watch movies? Instead, MS should have focused on exclusive games from the time XBOX-ONE vanilla was shown to be underpowered, that's what would have helped them, so their games going from 720p at launch to 900p did nothing really on how that console was perceived.......Better games would have been a bigger differentiator........Just an example, last gen the PS3 lost pretty much 90% of faceoffs for multi's, it still shipped more units than MS coming 1 year later, why? because it had lots of great games exclusive to it.....

MS still believes that power is everything whilst they keep procrastinating on delivering the games this gen....They doubled down from Slim XBOX-ONE and did XBONEX, more power, but at $500.00? but yet PS4/PRO is in more demand, there's a clear reason, it's the compelling exclsuive content there and most people ar content with PS4 Slim, because it hit the right power mark this gen, most people have 1080p Tv's and most PS4 games are 1080p, they win on all fronts + games......Again, MS was again reacting to Sony's more powerful hardware all along, so they ultimately delivered a more powerful box, but the market is not going to gravitate to a $500 box when later in the gen people are looking for much lower prices to jump in. MS did not do their homework yet again, they got that wrong. The market is not going to run to XBONEX, when it's the same 30fps multi games at higher resolutions and DR, sometimes with worse fps than the competition too, and again most people have 1080p tv's......and without much in quality exclusives...

So what happened there is that since MS is not moving a tonne of XBONEX's at $500.00, they have to eat lots of revenue/profit, because the more powerful box was pretty much on sale the entire year to keep moving inventory and even then it could not eclispe PS4, so yes, power is not all.....

Which brings me to the main point.........I think the biggest mistake people are making, is thinking that just buying a tonne of studios solves MS's game output problem.....MS's problem is not about how many games, but the type of games they focus on and the quality of the games they push out....It's not so much the quantity, but the quality....It's also about gross mismanagement of their current dev/ip portfolio........For e.g.......Why didnt Rare work on a new Wizards and Warriors, a new Golden Eye Game, a new Kameo or more importantly a brand new "from the ground up" platformer?......Crash has been selling like hotcakes, Rare could have definitely done a new IP there and do it justice.....How about 343i, why couldn't they work on a brand new IP, a brand new shooter instead of Halo, their own baby which would bring more passion to the project, how about if they did a Third Person Shooter game? Perhaps they could do a great job there and put out a quality game with new ideas and more creative thinking.....How about the Coalition, couldn't they do something that's not Gears? A brand new IP, ground up, new mechanics, new characters, new environment etc.....

The truth is, you never know the games/genres/camera perspectives your team can really excel at, if you don't make them mix it up and try new things..........So yes, buying new studios does not mean better games, it may expand on the law of averages in getting another decently reviewed game from the new "acquires", but it's not guaranteed, because none of these studios have a pedigree for 90+ rated games from before, throwing more money at them won't solve that....In some cases, more money have caused certain studios to make worse games....

So Phil is all about lots of promises from where I'm sitting, he said this gen, there would be lots of great games and now that has shifted to nextgen......He felt a more powerful box would get him a better foot-in, this gen, it didn't work....He spoke of more focus on PC gaming and better integration with XBOX, but the PC store is awful, lots of limitations to traditional PC gaming there.......He hyped so many titles and features that has not surfaced or under-delivered, like Crackdown, cancelled games and games which did not deliver on the hype like SOT, SOD2 etc.....Phil talks a good game year round, he has many hypnotized on the "promise ring", but when you do a time-lapse, years have gone by and there's not much new you have experienced. Phil in my opinion is more PR and bluffing than delivery....

Who exactly do you think is actually reading all of that? Your delusions regarding the importance of your opinion are unreal.

FranXico

And why would people worry about that? Could it have anything to do with MS track record spanning over a period of 20 years?
The youngest may be easily swayed by PR actions (not just words) now, but some of us still remember what EEE means and recognize history repeating.

Foxbat

Banned
And why would people worry about that? Could it have anything to do with MS track record spanning over a period of 20 years?
The youngest may be easily swayed by PR actions (not just words) now, but some of us still remember what EEE means and recognize history repeating.

Even more of the youngest may be swayed by PR and posts on gaming forums now, but some of us remember what ROOTKIT means, and recognize history repeating.

Holster your pistol there cowboy.

Aintitcool

Banned
Agreed. With youtube basically being able to broadcast to billions, its easier and cheaper for them to do that instead of have a whole event. Look at Cyberpunk with its gameplay vid. Over 11 million views and didn't need to be on some big stage.

Who here is buying that game based on being on a stage? lol

We all buying it based on ANY footage we can find, so I think Nintendo and Sony are on to something and maybe these big events yearly are coming to an end. We might start getting them only a few times a gen.
Yeah and nintendo figured it out before Sony.

Aintitcool

Banned
.... well if you think of PC as a microsoft gaming system they are dominating, just not xbox and probably never gonna be xbox.

FranXico

Even more of the youngest may be swayed by PR and posts on gaming forums now, but some of us remember what ROOTKIT means, and recognize history repeating.

Holster your pistol there cowboy.
LOL. Easy there. Just because someone obviously doesn't trust Microsoft, that doesn't mean they like Sony.
Repeat ROOTKIT all you like, I won't argue.

This isn't about choosing a side, you know?

Last edited:
As long as UWP restricts PC users from doing the things PC are able to do with x86 and they're using that awful store, they may as well not even bother.

EDMIX

Yeah and nintendo figured it out before Sony.
.... well if you think of PC as a microsoft gaming system they are dominating, just not xbox and probably never gonna be xbox.

Agreed, Nintendo saw the waste of funds on such events and did something about it before Sony and MS.

oh XB is likely never going to see those type numbers again. With them going towards multiplatform, its great for MS, but XB officially has less reasons to own it. I think its a strange place, but over all its the best for MS and even its own fans. Software is where the real money is and I think MS made the right choice for their situation.

Top Bottom