• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza Guy gets 10 dollar tip on $1400 order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mully

Are they not paid by their employers?

I have never understood why tipping is obligatory. You make a poor wage? Take it up with your employer or speak to your government representative to increase minimum wage or find a better job. Don't compel customers to pay more than they have to.

These aren't as easy as one may think. I'm just being curious, but where do you live?

Fuck tipping, it's just a way for resturants to bully employees into getting paid less and dump it on the consumer.

Eh, if they paid them more, they'd dump it on the customer, anyway.

I acknowledge it's a stupid practice, but I don't take that out on the people who depend on tips to survive.

Ponn

Banned
If anyone ever wants an example of why trickle down economics will never work point them to a GAF tipping thread.

surly

Banned
Is the guy not paid to deliver the food? He should get $100-$300 extra for making one delivery of pizzas?

Why are posters continuing to parrot a 20% tip that neither the OP in the reddit thread nor the waiter is confirmed to have demanded, instead of focusing on how paltry a $10 tip is on that much delivered food? Surely there is some happy medium between $10 and $200 that most can agree the driver earned for this delivery?

Anywhere from $100 to $300 would have been expected.

If you have the money to blow on pre-prepared food, you have to factor in service costs.

Yeah it's called paying for the pizza. The 10 dollar tip should pay for the Gas, the delivery body was not a waiter, he just drive the pizzas.

Do you expect people to tip the mailman also?

VALIS

No, I overtip most of the time. I'm a bartender and I know what it feels like to get stiffed on a daily basis. I feel for the guy, but at this point I never expect a tip.

Right. Not directed to you so much, but towards another thread of "I'm not obligated!"

If you get food delivered in America, along with other situations (served food or drink at a table or bar, for instance), you're expected to tip. Not arcane knowledge. Getting food delivered and not tipping is being an asshole. Go pick it up then.

Ferrio

Banned
Is the guy not paid to deliver the food? He should get $100-$300 extra for making one delivery of pizzas?

I'm guessing delivering 1400 worth of pizzas took a lot longer than say delivering $40 dollars worth of pizza. He probably lost out on money doing less deliveries, while doing harder work.

Considering the establishment's profit on $1,400 worth of pizza, I can't fucking believe people are bitching that the customer should've paid him more.

He did not source the ingredients
He did not make the pizza

He carried some boxes to a house. Which he gets paid for, Why the hell should he get a tip for doing his job. If i work in office and deal with customers internet sales and get paid an hourly wage for that and one day I deal with 2 customers and the next day I deal with 70 should i get tipped by each individual customer for helping them?

Tipping culture is ridiculous. Pay a fair wage and do away with that nonsense

FStop7

Banned
Are pizza delivery people paid above minimum wage and compensated for the cost of gas?

If yes: Then I don't really give a shit.

If no: Then that sucks.

Salmonax

If anything, delivery guys should be giving ME money for supporting their ability to have a job. Where's my cut of the total?

GMM

Banned
Eh, if they paid them more, they'd dump it on the customer, anyway.

I acknowledge it's a stupid practice, but I don't take that out on the people who depend on tips to survive.

Yup, but that would atleast make prices 100% comparable between different places since tipping is never expected.

Tom Penny

Tipping makes no sense.

Go to a Bar.

Order 3 sodas. Owe 6 or 7 bucks.
Order 3 beers. Owe 10-15 bucks.

They took the same amount of time to serve me yet I'm supposed to give a bigger tip?

Dunk#7

Why is this even news anyway?

People are dying in Africa and Pizza delivery boys are crying over tips?

You could use that argument for almost everything we talk about on these forums on a daily basis.

Unless your sole focus is the quality of life Africa, and you never have any less important complaints you shouldn't shoot other topics down with this reasoning.

SummitAve

Banned
I would be ashamed of myself or of a friend if they tipped a pizza boy only 10$ after the kid probably had to make more than a few trips back and forth from his car to get it all delivered.

I don't know why so many people on GAF are so tight with their money. Make the dude's day.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
$20-40.

Or if you don't like tipping you can go pick up $1400 worth of pizza yourself.
Isn't that his job, to bring pizza to your home? Why should you pay a set percentage of the order total? He should be glad he got anything at all.

Salvadora

I would be ashamed of myself or of a friend if they tipped a pizza boy only 10$ after the kid probably had to make more than a few trips back and forth from his car to get it all delivered.

I don't know why so many people on GAF are so tight with their money. Make the dude's day.
It's his job.

If he delivered the pizzas balancing in an unicycle maybe, but he probably just did a trip in a truck.

No, I overtip most of the time. I'm a bartender and I know what it feels like to get stiffed on a daily basis. I feel for the guy, but at this point I never expect a tip.

Do you really not get tipped a lot? I've tipped about a dollar a drink for my entire adult life.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The man had to carry 85 pizzas, I'm sorry that's worth way more than $10 for a tip. Dude should have gotten at least $40. If you can blow $1400 on pizza you can afford a decent tip.

TheNatural

My Member!
He did not source the ingredients
He did not make the pizza

He carried some boxes to a house. Which he gets paid for, Why the hell should he get a tip for doing his job. If i work in office and deal with customers internet sales and get paid an hourly wage for that and one day I deal with 2 customers and the next day I deal with 70 should i get tipped by each individual customer for helping them?

Tipping culture is ridiculous. Pay a fair wage and do away with that nonsense

Why the hell can't people get off their lazy asses and pick it up themselves? Maybe there should be a different pay for these people, but not paying them only makes you a dick. Not changing anything.

A couple of things:

A: Those pizzas must have been cold as hell as most pizza places couldn't handle that large of an order.

B: Anyone else find it odd that they didn't get an actual signature for a $1400 pizza order?

Kinyou

Why the hell can't people get off their lazy asses and pick it up themselves? Maybe there should be a different pay for these people, but not paying them only makes you a dick. Not changing anything.
But when everyone picks it up themselves then the delivery guy will lose his job :(

Mully

Do you really not get tipped a lot? I've tipped about a dollar a drink for my entire adult life.

Yeah, it's pretty bad some nights. I'll serve a pretty reasonable crowd with another bartender for six hours and we'll get maybe $60 between us.

I think we did the math on a regular Thursday night and it was an average 45 cent tip per drink. The owner knows this though and takes care of us. We get pretty good hourly wages for a bartender. Plus if we don't get a certain amount in tips he'll pay us the difference in cash on the side. Good guy, really good guy.

thefro

Should be at least $20-40 anyway... that's basically loading up your whole car full of pizza and trying to balance shit so the toppings don't slide off. Probably took 10 minutes to load up and 10 minutes to unload. You can only get 2-3 boxes in each of the little delivery pouches too to keep them hot.

He also probably had to turn down a lot of other deliveries to wait on all those pizzas to be ready. He could have probably made 4-5 deliveries in that time to other houses easy to make more money. 85 pizzas probably backed up the wait times for people so much to get pizza that the drivers probably lost some other delivery business as well.

I hope it was a credit card order or something because $1400 in cash in your pocket would be a big no-no where I worked back in the day.

Polari

I don't really get the grousing over people tipping moderate amounts on large tabs. It's the bar/restaurant/takeaway place that's benefiting, so you'd think they could flick their employees a little extra as a thank you. $10 to a pizza delivery guy is fine.

Tipping makes no sense.

Go to a Bar.

Order 3 sodas. Owe 6 or 7 bucks.
Order 3 beers. Owe 10-15 bucks.

They took the same amount of time to serve me yet I'm supposed to give a bigger tip?

But you're not. You tip about a dollar a drink, you don't have to figure out percentages for a bartender.

trinest

I once tipped once (in Australia---not customary). Let the guy keep the 5c change cause it was to much of a hassle to get it/put the pizzas down etc.

He was all like "are you sure"...and I'm like "its 5c...keep it :/"

Surely once you guys put minimum wage onto the inflation rate you'd be fine.

I delivered pizzas a few years ago. Guess what my hourly wage was 0 dollars. All I made was a 2.50 delivery charge and i also wasn't compensated for gas. I didn't expect a specific percentage based on the total but if you can by $1400 dollars worth of pizza, you can probably pay a little more than $10.

Correct, but you can, and usually are, paid less than minimum wage because if you are receiving tips that is a legal practice.

I made $2.13 an hour when I worked at Outback Steakhouse

I hear this argument a lot but you guys who have done these kind of jobs. Would you rather get 2.13+tip or 10 dollars an hour(give or take)?

Everybody I've know who has done the waiting job would take the low pay + tip any day because they tell me about how they can make. Some make as much or more than me even though I get 18 dollars a hour at my job. And they work less hours. Others will make very good money despite only working 20 hours or so per week. I don't see this as much as a argument. That's the risk they must consider when taking this kind of job. And from what I've seen myself, most of the time it pays off.

but not paying them only makes you a dick. Not changing anything.

I really fail to see how. That person gets paid to deliver pizza. His job is pizza delivery. That's what he is contracted for and that's what he is paid a wage for. If he does that job then he gets the wage allocated. Why should people have to pay him extra?

When mail comes to my house I don't tip the mail man for his service because that is why he is paid a wage.

When I deal with customer support I don't offer to tip the support agent because they are nice. That is what they get paid for.

Tipping exists so that companies can underpay employees to keep profit margins high and expect the consumer to pay the difference and its bullshit.

The delivery guy got $10 extra in his wage he should be happy.

Tom Penny

But you're not. You tip about a dollar a drink, you don't have to figure out percentages for a bartender.

Not relevant. It could be food. The 2 people serving are doing the same amount of work. Why should I tip 2 to 3 times more because one was decent restaurant vs high end and my meal cost more. The chef doesn't get a cut.

Macattk15

Whats the big deal? If anyone deserves the tip its the guy who prepared and cooked all those pizzas.

This was probably a business catering for an event or something?

Dude was probably all excited to deliver all those pizzas and then had his hopes crushed. Should make you not want to be a pizza delivery guy forever which is a pretty good lesson.

Mully

I really fail to see how. That person gets paid to deliver pizza. His job is pizza delivery. That's what he is contracted for and that's what he is paid a wage for. If he does that job then he gets the wage allocated. Why should people have to pay him extra?

When mail comes to my house I don't tip the mail man for his service because that is why he is paid a wage.

When I deal with customer support I don't offer to tip the support agent because they are nice. That is what they get paid for.

Tipping exists so that companies can underpay employees to keep profit margins high and expect the consumer to pay the difference and its bullshit.

The delivery guy got $10 extra in his wage he should be happy.

Most of the time delivery drivers in the US don't get paid a wage. They're paid in tips and maybe $20 from the till if the owner is feeling generous.

mackattk

I usually tip two bucks to the pizza delivery guy, but my order are always under $20 if I get something delivered. Not saying that 10% is the normal, but I would feel cheap giving him a dollar or under.

I wouldn't expect a 10% tip on an order of that size, but something definitely more than $10. Somewhere in the $40-50 range would probably be good... Guy had to have made multiple deliveries, I can't see 85 pizzas fitting inside of a late 90's Honda accord. Not to mention the time of loading, unloading, and walking the pizzas up to the guys business or wherever it is getting delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom