• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza Guy gets 10 dollar tip on $1400 order

Status
Not open for further replies.
The service costs are included in the price of the pizza.

Not the delivery costs. That's why the tip is expected.

Should be at least $20-40 anyway... that's basically loading up your whole car full of pizza and trying to balance shit so the toppings don't slide off. Probably took 10 minutes to load up and 10 minutes to unload. You can only get 2-3 boxes in each of the little delivery pouches too to keep them hot.

He also probably had to turn down a lot of other deliveries to wait on all those pizzas to be ready. He could have probably made 4-5 deliveries in that time to other houses easy to make more money. 85 pizzas probably backed up the wait times for people so much to get pizza that the drivers probably lost some other delivery business as well.

I hope it was a credit card order or something because $1400 in cash in your pocket would be a big no-no where I worked back in the day.

Precisely.

I'm seeing the same dichotomy between people who worked in the service industries and those who didn't. If you don't like tipping, by the way, stiffing the employees only hurts the employee.

for $1400 worth of pizza the guy likely used a debit card. Cheap bastard should have put at least $30 for 75+ Pizzas. Just remember that pizza boys dont make much, and its often in industry's where tips are common to get a much, much lower wage than average.

Was the person who ordered the pizzas charged more for such a large order? If so I can kind of understand why he wouldn't tip, although leaving $10 seems kind of cheap either way.

TheNatural

My Member!
I really fail to see how. That person gets paid to deliver pizza. His job is pizza delivery. That's what he is contracted for and that's what he is paid a wage for. If he does that job then he gets the wage allocated. Why should people have to pay him extra?

When mail comes to my house I don't tip the mail man for his service because that is why he is paid a wage.

When I deal with customer support I don't offer to tip the support agent because they are nice. That is what they get paid for.

Tipping exists so that companies can underpay employees to keep profit margins high and expect the consumer to pay the difference and its bullshit.

The delivery guy got $10 extra in his wage he should be happy.

I delivered pizzas a few years ago. Guess what my hourly wage was 0 dollars. All I made was a 2.50 delivery charge and i also wasn't compensated for gas. I didn't expect a specific percentage based on the total but if you can by $1400 dollars worth of pizza, you can probably pay a little more than $10.

Pretty much explains this. Tips costs a lot of time, and go by a different wage standard. It's not like they get comped the same as a mailman or customer service.

And if you want to "hurt" the company, then buy something else. Paying for it, then punishing the worker isn't hurting the company at all.

FourMyle

$20-40.

Or if you don't like tipping you can go pick up $1400 worth of pizza yourself.

If they offer delivery then I am going to order however many Pizzas I like and tip however little I want . They are the ones who want my money, and if they won't take it because I don't tip to their standards then I'll just take my business to one of the dozens of other pizza places within a 10 mile radius :)

Einbroch

Banned
No signature for an order? Phone? I mean, how can you verify ID over the phone?

And since when do you get receipts for a pizza delivery? I've never gotten a receipt from a delivery.

So he/she must have ordered ahead of time and paid ahead of time, too. That means that the tip was likely ahead of time too, since he/she gave an amount and not cash.

But yeah, it sucks.

coldvein

Banned
No, I overtip most of the time. I'm a bartender and I know what it feels like to get stiffed on a daily basis. I feel for the guy, but at this point I never expect a tip.

why dont you expect a tip anymore? because the world is becoming more and more cunty?

Kammie

I don't know why so many people on GAF are so tight with their money.
Steam sales, man! We need to hit 500 unplayed games or our collections are meaningless.

Seriously, I don't understand it either. They're probably people who have just never had to work in the food service industry. And as far as delivery drivers are concerned, apart from lousy wages, I think it's just a common courtesy.

Dunk#7

I hear this argument a lot but you guys who have done these kind of jobs. Would you rather get 2.13+tip or 10 dollars an hour(give or take)?

Everybody I've know who has done the waiting job would take the low pay + tip any day because they tell me about how they can make. Some make as much or more than me even though I get 18 dollars a hour at my job. And they work less hours. Others will make very good money despite only working 20 hours or so per week. I don't see this as much as a argument. That's the risk they must consider when taking this kind of job. And from what I've seen myself, most of the time it pays off.

I will admit that I made a good wage, but that is the most demanding job I have ever had. It is much tougher than most assume.

I agree that the system is flawed and food prices should be higher in order to pay the employees a normal wage. Tipping should be an additional bonus for something over and above, but that is not the topic at hand and it is irrelevant.

You don't punish the individual for something they cannot control. Take that up with the government or the businesses themselves.

If they offer delivery then I am going to order however many Pizzas I like and tip however little I want . They are the ones who want my money, and if they won't take it because I don't tip to their standards then I'll just take my business to one of the dozens of other pizza places within a 10 mile radius :)

Free-riding off of the poor. Nice.

DrSlek

Most of the time delivery drivers in the US don't get paid a wage. They're paid in tips and maybe $20 from the till if the owner is feeling generous.

Um....aren't business owners legally obligated to pay the difference up to minimum wage if the tips a person makes for their shift does not add up to at least minimum wage?

I imagine those pizzas were ordered under circumstances such as a company providing pizza for employees. In which case, a company may be able to justify writing off a $1400 expense to feed everybody, but it's unrealistic to expect them to be willing to write off a $100+ tip. That $10 likely came from the pocket of the person/people who accepted the delivery.

Providing he did it in one trip in his car I see no problem, he doesn't deserve more because the food is worth more if he's just doing the one trip

Maybe the guys went to the car to help get the pizzas out anyway

High chance he got help packing and unpacking the pizza's.

$20 would have been better. $40+ would have been generous. I assume this was a business thing, maybe a intern handled the transaction?

coldvein

Banned
these threads are always shocking. where did all of you non tippers come from? are you young, or something? or adults who were raised by rude parents?

A $300 tip sounds ludicrous, even though $1400 of pizza was delivered.

these threads are always shocking. where did all of you non tippers come from? are you young, or something? or adults who were raised by rude parents?

Last time I ordered pizza for delivery was maybe 2008. I paid with plastic, and because the online tracker said "delivery charge" was included. I didn't tip. The poor sap delivering the pizza didn't say a word, and I haven't ordered delivery since then.

I honestly do not carry cash unless I'm going over a bridge so I avoid such situations. Thankfully, the last resturant/bar I went to allowed the tip to be added to the bill, so that's what I did.

Well if it's just the delivery guy it's not a 85x harder task than with one pizza. On the other hand I know tips are usually pooled by staff and more pizzas mean more work. So dick move.

Cue whining about whether 20% is fair, we just don't deserve a good thread.

It's not 85x harder but it is harder. The pizza place usually has a few oversized bags for large orders, but those might only hold ten pizzas. I'm sure he ran out of those and had to use regular bags which would only hold two or three. And then he had to stack them all in his car, making sure not to stack them too high so the ones on the bottom don't get crushed. Then he got to do the reverse once he reached the delivery location, probably with a much longer walk, and that's after he hunted down the person with the money, which is never easy in the inevitable group that produces an order that large. A lot of pizza delivery is repeat customers and it sucks to spend an hour on one oversized order like that when another driver is taking a single pizza to the guaranteed tipper a mile away.

That being said, I'm sure the driver expected it. Those large orders almost always stiff you.

Eh. I think there's a middle ground in a situation like this. Unless he was hauling all the pizzas up several flights of stairs, I don't know that a 20% tip is appropriate. But moving 85 pizzas still warrants a lot more than $10, I agree. Sometimes I don't think it boils down to an issue of whether a person has the means to afford a higher tip, but rather whether the service warrants it. A waiter delivering one plate of food that's worth $100 doesn't necessarily deserve a better tip than a waiter that brings out 3 plates that total $30.

rezuth

Eh, I'm not sure its that big of a deal. He just delivers pizzas, thats kinda his job. However I would have given more than ten bucks for the extra effort but 20%? Fuck that!

JordanN

Banned
What's disgusting is someone actually tipped for that.

Consider all those pizzas are going to make the restaurant wealthy which in turn keeps the delivery guy employed.

If you don't like delivering pizzas you can always quit. It's a choice, not a right.

redbourne

Neo Member
When I found out they charged $2.5 for delivery I said fuck your tip anyway.

Ok no just kidding. But pizza delivery isn't a restaurant. Calm down people, you get so worked up about everything you can just to make your day more enjoyable. Like I'm doing right now.

Moving on to the next thread. Thank you.

SummitAve

Banned

Consider all those pizzas are going to make the restaurant wealthy which in turn keeps the delivery guy employed.

If you don't like delivering pizzas you can always quit. It's a choice, not a right.

How old are you, where are you from, and what do you do for a living? I just can't believe an adult would ever think like this.

lexi

Banned
Most of the time delivery drivers in the US don't get paid a wage. They're paid in tips and maybe $20 from the till if the owner is feeling generous.

Sounds like a problem with the retarded American tipping culture.

Spongebob

Banned
Eh. I think there's a middle ground in a situation like this. Unless he was hauling all the pizzas up several flights of stairs, I don't know that a 20% tip is appropriate. But moving 85 pizzas still warrants a lot more than $10, I agree.
Doing his job warrants the consumer to tip him money?

This about sums it up.
I agree 100%.

Um....aren't business owners legally obligated to pay the difference up to minimum wage if the tips a person makes for their shift does not add up to at least minimum wage?

Yes. And then they fire the workers who they have to cover with any kind of regularity. The business are run and food/drink is priced based on the assumption that they will not have to pay minimum wage.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Australia, where the minimum wage is more than fair, and nobody tips unless the service was monumentally spectacular.

Yea, I really wish we had that type of culture here. I really dislike the fact that some occupations have an expectation of tipping and it's actually built into our laws instead of it being actual gratuity.

Overseas mostly. This notion of paying certain service workers (the line seems somewhat arbitrary) nothing and having their entire income be from the charity of customers is a peculiar notion that is pretty much unique to America.

jakncoke

Banned
Ordering 85 pizzas is dumb, some those pizzas going to get cold cause they wont have enough heat bags. Also on topic. 10 bucks is really low but expecting a standard tip of 20% is cray as well. I probably would of just made it a even 1500. 36.07 tip on top the other tips would of been a pretty damn good night.

Chris R

I wouldn't want to eat the food from a restaurant that knows you are a known non-tipper.

It's why I hate going out to eat with a certain group of friends and always ask for my meal to be on my own ticket. Their tipping of 3 or 4 dollars on a $60 dollar bill is almost worse than not tipping at all.

All the nontippers are right tipping is optional, just like being a good person is optional. If they want to be bad people that is their prerogative

tak

I'm guessing this was for some type of business function and someone didn't factor for a tip or want to tip on the company dime.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I wonder if those who protest tipping on the internet (provided they're Americans) are pretending to take a stand about it; while still tipping in real life situations so as not to come off as a jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom