• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games/Activision announce Legend of Korra downloadable for PC/XB/PS [screen]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolobill

Interesting, I had no idea there was hate out there for Korra. I was a fan of Avatar as well, and I absolutely love Legend of Korra. The show feels like a step up to me.

Nohar

Oh, a new game from Platinum Games?

... Wait, what?! Legend of Korra?

Oh boy. This could be very good, or at least decent. I'm a little worried about the story of this future game though.

A downloadable Korra game published by Activision announced less than half a year before release that takes place in the several day span between the end of season 2 and the start of season 3 with no hint that you will actually get to fight benders outside of the world's restricted sport? Not even Platinum Games can save my excitement.

This. Activision's last few licensed games felt so under-budgeted and under-developed. I wouldn't get excited so fast especially with this being a downloadable-only game.

Tom Nook

Platinum Games + The Legend of Korra?

8662f61e-2341-4548-b0d3-8d1cfbbeed80

BY2K

Membero Americo
The only fear I have it's that:

1. It's an licensed game
2. It's Nickelodeon

I know it's Platinum, we all love them, but there's rules about licensed games and Nickelodeon games. Mainly that they are shit.

I'll give you a hint: Activision's shittyness.

Platinum can only do so much.

While it's true Activision has a spotty track record with licensed games, remember Activision brought up Spider-Man 2 during the PS2-era, and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron last gen. I think it's okay to have hope here, since it's a well-respected developer working on a well-regarded license. I'm skeptical, but less-so than, with, say, Rise of the Dark Spark.

And yes. Let the Rules of Nature Avatar Videos commence.

Jarmel

Banned
Unfortunately Korra is dogshit, would have loved for this to take part in the mythos without being attached to Korra.

This also looks like a quick cash in.

EhoaVash

on one hand, korra is terrible show compared to the original avatar, ...but on the other hand i dreamed of there being Avatar game being made by platinum games <3

but fuck it's a downloadable title so the budget isn't going to be the epic scope i wanted it to be, exploring the whole avatar lore =/

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Yeah, this will be a very short game. Not sure why everyone gets so excited about it.

Seik

Banned
Of all the things I could've expected today...

Welp, it's Platinum, unless a major event happens, it's guaranteed to be good.

Ralemont

not me
That's very generous for season 1 korra

I'd agree, though. Season 1 Korra, especially the second half with the blood-bending, is really good stuff. Season 2 Korra is just a mess, but I have high hopes they've dumped the godawful romance stuff for Season 3.

Thus far Korra Season 1 > Avatar Season 1, but

Avatar Season 2 destroys Korra Season 2.

All in all Korra can be a great character when she isn't bitching, which is why I'm excited for this game.

Trey

I'm not going to do list wars, I'll just say I like LoK in its entirety and that book Earth is the best season of the franchise.

The only fear I have it's that:

1. It's an licensed game
2. It's Nickelodeon

I know it's Platinum, we all love them, but there's rules about licensed games and Nickelodeon games. Mainly that they are shit.

Battle for Bikini Bottom and the SpongeBob Movie game were both good. I'd be less worried about Nickelodeon and more worried about Activision and the 2014 release date.

marvel8797

Neo Member
...I am severely conflicted about this.

on the one hand, new platinum game!

on the other hand, its korra, never was a fan of avatar or korra, so...eh?

we get a licensed game from platinum and its not (insert real anime name here)?

just have to wait and see on this one.

I'd agree, though. Season 1 Korra, especially the second half with the blood-bending, is really good stuff. Season 2 Korra is just a mess, but I have high hopes they've dumped the godawful romance stuff for Season 3.

there were some really cool episodes in season 2

the origin of the avatar episode was so good.

inky

Please be good. Please be good. Please be good.

Please be good.

It should've been Avatar TLAB but I'll take it.

Korra is so bad that I can't see this as anything other than a waste of talent. Fight scenes are okay, though, so Platinum has a lot to work with. They're a great dev team, and it's good to see them get work.

Also, it's hilarious that Platinum's only announced PS4 game is based on a cartoon license. Also sad.

Oh wait, I just noticed downloadable game. Hype a bit deflated, if it is smaller I am expecting a worse combat system.

there were some really cool episodes in season 2

the origin of the avatar episode was so good.

And that was pretty much it though, even when they were two episodes.

In case anyone cares, the 3DS game is being developed by the studio behind the Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku GBA games. It's been about 10 years since the last one, so I dunno how much of the staff is the same.

This makes me really curious to see what the 3DS game will be like.

Definitely didn't think a Korra game made by Platinum Games was ever going to happen.

AJ_Wings

On one hand, I think Korra is kinda of a crappy series especially compared to the first series, on the other this could turn out actually decent. Will see how it turns out.

Fbh

Looking at some comments here, I didn't know Korra got so much hate.

I mean yeah it's worse than the original show but it's still fairly decent, IMO. Season 1 was fairly good and season 2 was a bit worse but had those awesome Avatar Wan episodes to make up for it

That's what worries me about it, Korra is a good concept dragged down by crappy writting.

Well from his "Last Airbender Wiki" site it looks like the guy worked on more Last Airbender episodes than Korra episodes.

Still, I love Platinum games for their gameplay but most of their games have writing that is way worse than anything anyone from the Korra team could do (It only sort of worked in Wonderful 101 because it felt like the writing was intentionally cheesy/Corny").

I mean, if they gave creative freedom to Platinum this would probably end with Korra using a mech to fight a earth sized "Mecha Obama" while her friends fight off an alien invasion in mars

ArjanN

I disliked it so much I stopped watching and have no interest in the new season coming because it just keeps getting worse. Korra is a terrible Avatar, and them putting main focus on the teen romance stuff is is mind numbing.

Hopefully they just do the same thing as with Revengeance, i.e. just use whatever characters/lore suit their game and ignore the rest.

Anyway,

Yay for more from PG on PC :) Looking forward to this.

Yep.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Activision should start farming out all their licensed stuff to platinum.

I want a platinum Spider-Man & Transformers game.

oti

Banned
I don't get the Korra hate. There are definitely some bad episodes and that love triangle was downright torture at times, but it's still a really great show and Korra is really cool. Season 1 was phenomenal though and one of the best TV-series of all time.

Anyway, I hope both games are great.

Mononoke

Banned
not sure if sarcasm

I kinda like season 1 though :(

But honestly, I prefer Avatar's focus on the adventure and well, Aang's development because the focus is on kids rather than Korra which you can see the focus is more on what teens would want (romance, etc.)

I'm not saying Season 1 is bad. I like it too. It has its charms. But I definitely think it's important to point out the change in the show since it's what most people will watch first. And sadly I think people will judge it based on that, when Book 2 and 3 matures substantially (as the main character grows up and has to abandon his youth to fulfill his obligations).

Oh wait, I just noticed downloadable game. Hype a bit deflated, if it is smaller I am expecting a worse combat system.

And that was pretty much it though, even when they were two episodes.

Worse by Platinum standards maybe, but better than anything else out there.

So basically the combat will be fun, instead of their god tier Climatic Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom