• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 1 CPU powers #PlutoFlyBy / NewHorizon probe

Theonik

Interesting... It's a shame MIPS died on video game platforms with the PSP
ARM continues the legacy of MIPS. Development on the MIPS instruction set ceased well before the PSP was out, you can get MIPS based processors for embedded systems still though.

orava

The R3000 is actually a more general purpose processor was used in many, many other devices like servers and workstations and It was not designed for ps1. It was already over six years old when the console was introduced. Also the cpu in the probe is not the original cpu but a heavily modified one.

wsippel

Banned
That's like saying Curiosity and Kepler are powered by Gamecube CPUs...

New Horizons uses a Synova Mongoose-V, a radiation hardened version of the R3000 by MIPS Technologies. It's not a PS1 CPU, it's just based on the same core design.

Man

I miss PSone programming in general (and MIPS).
I'm actually looking into getting a PS1 dev environment up and running on a hobby basis.
One option is to buy a Net Yaroze of EBay but it doesn't have the full feature set of an official dev kit (some hardware debugging features missing etc).
Other option seems to be getting the official SDK tools somehow and run my code in emulators like ePSXe.

Theonik

Yeah, science gadgets are ridiculously overpriced.
Very low production volumes. If the PlayStation MIPS was not mass produced it would cost very similarly albeit without the extra process and binning that goes into making a CPU for space use which makes it even more expensive.

Yeah, SpaceGAF would just put some Raspery Pi platines together and call it a day.

Just send a second satellite if the first one breaks!
That's not a completely stupid idea!

Because when you thought your PS1 was broke, you can turn it upside down and it will work.
Some of the NASA people probably grew up and knew about the durability of the PS1 with that simple trick, so they decided to use the PS1 CPU.

I can't tell if this is a serious post.

Very low production volumes. If the PlayStation MIPS was not mass produced it would cost very similarly albeit without the extra process and binning that goes into making a CPU for space use which makes it even more expensive.

That's not a completely stupid idea!

It is if it means to lose 7 years of time so saving 40k on a subsystem isn't worth the risk.

pic_article_shot_ps_dl_big%2814%29.jpg

"...and conquer worlds"

Looks like the advert came true after all

klier

No shit I am not informed I don't work at NASA, didn't think I would need to do research and form a thesis as to why they should use a Pentium for stating an opinion.

Opinions are like assholes.

It's batshit crazy to even suggest what NASA should use. Who are you again?

Dunkley

I've been wondering, isn't that basically how Nintendo approaches things too? Using hardware that has been tried-and-tested and is widely understood in order to ease development?

Or is the whole Lateral Thinking with Withered Technology philosophy a different type of deal?

Yeah, SpaceGAF would just put some Raspery Pi platines together and call it a day.

Just send a second satellite if the first one breaks!
It's not like that but prices for professional uses are extraordinary high and they can't be compared to normal consumer products.
For instance, I ordered carbon filaments for a scientific setup and it costed about 2000€. Carbon filaments for modern 3d printers or other consumerist products cost in the range of 30€.

Odrion

Banned
The R3000 is actually a more general purpose processor was used in many, many other devices like servers and workstations and It was not designed for ps1. It was already over six years old when the console was introduced. Also the cpu in the probe is not the original cpu but a heavily modified one.

Wasn't that why the PSX was quick and easy to emulate?

Three

Remember when the PS2 was banned from sale to certain countries because it could be used to guide a missile or something. I guess NASA told someone.

Drencrom

How can it accurately navigate without a Z-buffer?

Any other CPU that have a Z-buffer would become self aware under its long and dangerous journey and would eventually malfunction because of performance anxiety and stress.

The PSX CPU's blatant disregard of the Z-plane is the reason it can courageously travel all these years with no fear or remorse.

TheSpoonyBard

Neo Member
Yeah a Pentium would work better imo. My Pentium 4 is still going strong from over a decade of use.

This is kinda silly

I'm willing to bet that a multi-billion dollar agency that has launched multiple spacecraft across our solar system knows more about this stuff than you do.

No shit I am not informed I don't work at NASA, didn't think I would need to do research and form a thesis as to why they should use a Pentium for stating an opinion.

"I didn't know I had to have the faintest bit of knowledge to call NASA's choice silly and propose a random alternative".

Well, you certainly don't, but then don't act surprised when half the internet laughs at you.

This is still amusing, regardless of how modified it might be or its actual cost. For something traveling 3 billion miles in 9 years on a history-writing multi-billion dollar mission that lets the US cheese a claim to every planet in the solar system, a $20-40,000 processor sounds like a bargain!
so Psone cpu can power a open world... game like No Man Sky?
There's a massively lame advertising opportunity in here somewhere. Someone think it up and tell Sony to not use it, please.
Hook dat shit up with an i7 Extreme and two Titans and have liquid nitrogen cooling
Gonna need something a liittle more industrial than that. Temperature in space is a weird thing.

It's not like that but prices for professional uses are extraordinary high and they can't be compared to normal consumer products.
For instance, I ordered carbon filaments for a scientific setup and it costed about 2000€. Carbon filaments for modern 3d printers or other consumerist products cost in the range of 30€.

Nothing could stop you of using the cheap carbon filaments of commercial applications if the material properties are good enough for what you are trying to do with it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Some early PlayStation models had a faulty disc drive. The laser wasn't seated correctly, or something along those lines.

Nothing to do with the CPU, that's for sure.

It actually had plastic seating the laser assembly sat in. So the friction wore the plastic down which caused the laser unit drop and lose its intensity to read. So turning it upside down brought the laser back to its normal position.

It was corrected with poly/nylon pieces that hold up well against friction.

c0de

Exactly. We should applaud MIPS for this, not Sony or the PSX. MIPS powered the PSX, the PSP, the PS2 and the N64.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R3000

I loved fiddling around with IRIX which featured scalable vector icons before Windows 95 launched.

ARM continues the legacy of MIPS. Development on the MIPS instruction set ceased well before the PSP was out, you can get MIPS based processors for embedded systems still though.

MIPS had its latest ISA release (Release 6) just last year. Imagination now owns MIPS.

Top Bottom