• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 1 CPU powers #PlutoFlyBy / NewHorizon probe

NolbertoS

Didn't know rhere were alot of comp science geeks on GAF, my faith in humanity is confirmed and GAF isn't just about games :p. I can only imagine the day mankind flys into space, it'll be powered by the PS6, Xbox three or Nintendo Galaxtic System console

Edit: yes, I knoe there non-existant consoles, but the tech chip is getting smaller and more powerful per year.

Kevyt

This is the first thing that came to mind when reading OP:

playstation-it-only-does-everything.jpg

Surprised no one posted that image before. It would be awesome if someone could photoshop a PS1 into this image

HTupolev

Yeah, science gadgets are ridiculously overpriced.
Designing a chip and setting up a silicon run is extraordinarily costly even for basic logic devices with no special requirements, and rad-hardened microprocessors suitable for prolonged space missions are about as low-demand as it gets. A couple tens of thousands per unit doesn't really seem unreasonable to me.

I imagine that the electronics for this spacecraft would have to hardened against radiation. You couldn't just take an Intel processor and slap it inside the spacecraft. Power saving would be absolutely essential to the success of the mission as it has to survive in space for years. So I bet they use custom ICs designed within rigorous power limitations. Hence the old PlayStation processor.

Koren

I imagine that the electronics for this spacecraft would have to hardened against radiation.
The Mangoose (the CPU inside the spacecraft) is indeed radiation-hardened.

The R3000 happens to be used in the original Playstation, but it's first and foremost a CPU used in many early-90 devices (the CPU itself is half a dozen years older than Playstation).

Saying that "it runs with the Playstation CPU" is the same as saying anything that use a Z80 "it runs with the Gameboy CPU". Yes, that's true, but it's mostly a coincidence.

Koren

Amazing to see people online saying NASA picked the wrong processor lol.
They probably picked an available solution that was working and they "enjoyed" to use... That's a way to define "the best solution".

That's not to say researchers always go for the "best" solution... I've seen far to much researchers using Fortran 77 and even reluctant to use the 90 version just because they're at ease with the older compiler. Why change if it's working? I'm actually fine with that as long as I don't have to work with them too much on their code (code that still inherits margins from perforated cards really feel dated).

They had processors that had been redesigned for space issues, thoroughly checked and tested in space condition, why look for something else, especially when you don't need much power? Mangoose V, RAD6000 and 386 fit the job perfectly...

Mihos

Gold Member
The Mangoose (the CPU inside the spacecraft) is indeed radiation-hardened.

The R3000 happens to be used in the original Playstation, but it's first and foremost a CPU used in many early-90 devices (the CPU itself is half a dozen years older than Playstation).

Saying that "it runs with the Playstation CPU" is the same as saying anything that use a Z80 "it runs with the Gameboy CPU". Yes, that's true, but it's mostly a coincidence.

I started my engineering career on a z80 ... that chip is still going strong, just like me

They probably picked an available solution that was working and they "enjoyed" to use... That's a way to define "the best solution".

That's not to say researchers always go for the "best" solution... I've seen far to much researchers using Fortran 77 and even reluctant to use the 90 version just because they're at ease with the older compiler. Why change if it's working? I'm actually fine with that as long as I don't have to work with them too much on their code (code that still inherits margins from perforated cards really feel dated).

They had processors that had been redesigned for space issues, thoroughly checked and tested in space condition, why look for something else, especially when you don't need much power? Mangoose V, RAD6000 and 386 fit the job perfectly...

In the engineering field is good enough and cheap the best solution, yo.

Mihos

Gold Member

you forgot 'can be executed and qualified within the projected time line'. I honestly couldn't imagine the effort needed to get my custom embedded system qualified on an i5 for a space applications. That shit would take years. I wouldn't think they would even attempt to harden a chip manufactured in 22nm. I would want my junctions the size of a midgets fist and downclocked to about 20 Mhz for some of those radiation levels.

Theonik

Smaller lithographies are pretty susceptible to ionising radiation, which isn't really a problem for terrestrial use but for space application it's quite big. That's also a big reason why they would choose an older processor on an old node.

How can it accurately navigate without a Z-buffer?

Any other CPU that have a Z-buffer would become self aware under its long and dangerous journey and would eventually malfunction because of performance anxiety and stress.

The PSX CPU's blatant disregard of the Z-plane is the reason it can courageously travel all these years with no fear or remorse.

that hack Cerny could only wish his console powers rocketships
JWRWJDo.gif

Fun fact, voyager was a modified nes and the reason its been able to operate so long is the cartridge slot was left open, allowing for space dust to continually blow into the compartment to ensure normal operation.

does that mean psx sales are now officially stellar?

Unleash Cell on a foreign planet? Has DBZ taught us nothing!?

slayed

This guy gets it

Top Bottom