• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 1 CPU powers #PlutoFlyBy / NewHorizon probe

c0de

I've been wondering, isn't that basically how Nintendo approaches things too? Using hardware that has been tried-and-tested and is widely understood in order to ease development?

Thinking of the N64, Nintendo didn't do that exactly. Nowadays, with the third incarnation of the Gamecube, one could say yes.

Theonik

MIPS had its latest ISA release (Release 6) just last year. Imagination now owns MIPS.
Yes, there are still small improvements being made to MIPS but they are mostly used in the embedded market. You are right that there is active development in that branch.

Hyoukokun

Yeah a Pentium would work better imo. My Pentium 4 is still going strong from over a decade of use.

This is kinda silly

Your Pentium 4 does not have to deal with the kinds of radiation that a typical spacecraft is exposed to. Reliability in this case probably translates to shielding / redundancy / radiation hardening. Low power consumption is also hugely important, and most Pentiums were *really* not designed with that in mind.

For those advocating an x86 solution, I believe that AMD Geode chips were sometimes used in satellites. That may still be true, though AMD stopped updating the line in 2009.

killatopak

All these people saying a pentium or something else is much better think they are smarter than NASA guys of all people.

PS1 the GOAT.

The most amazing thing is that the version which had gone to Pluto is actually considerably slower than the one we've got on the PSOne.

PSOne: 33 MHz
New Horizons: 12 MHz

The most amazing thing is that the version which had gone to Pluto is actually considerably slower than the one we've got on the PSOne.

PSOne: 33 MHz
New Horizons: 12 MHz
They were going to run it at full speed, but couldn't find an extension cord for the power outlet that was long enough.

As for 486, I've seen 486-based PCs crash a whole heck of a lot more than I've seen a PSX crash. The PSX CPU is quite a bit simpler and less power hungry, which is important for a long mission away from human hands like this.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Yeah a Pentium would work better imo. My Pentium 4 is still going strong from over a decade of use.

This is kinda silly

Seems you know more about CPU technology in space probes than the scientists at NASA. Shame you weren't working for them at the time.

Anustart

Fun fact, voyager was a modified nes and the reason its been able to operate so long is the cartridge slot was left open, allowing for space dust to continually blow into the compartment to ensure normal operation.

daveo42

Banned

This is kinda silly

Less about horsepower and more about power consumption. Plus, it's NASA. I think they have an idea about how to build something to last within insane constraints.

IvorB

So wait... PlayStation 3 cured cancer, PlayStation 2 was a missile guidance system and PlayStation got us to Pluto...

BouncyFrag

Hype for No Mans Sky intensifies.
*waits for NASA to be peppered with questions of what do you do when exploring outer space only then to have those answers ignored before another salvo of the same question commenses*

mmg0ZBl.jpg

Orbis

The simpler the better when it comes to space, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with 20+ year old CPU architectures. The probe isn't actually doing much that's computationally expensive, it's receiving raw data from sensors, sending and receiving radio and occasionally firing thrusters. Worst case it's calculating its correct orientation.

Also consider the data connection from the probe is 1kbit/s, there's no hurry to do much in a hurry.

cRIPticon

This is kinda silly

Ummm...heat, size, power consumption...take your pick. For the specific things needed, why would NASA choose such overkill with a more general purpose platform like Pentium.

Not to mention the packaging required to make it suitable for space travel, and the fact that the Sony processor is still manufactured for embedded systems while the Pentium 4 is, most assuredly, not.

Ashler

Sony clearly broadening its customer base to the rest of the solar system. Just wait until the Aliens get their hands on those sweet, sweet PS1 exclusives.

shandy706

This explains why the textures on Pluto were warping and shimmering as I watched it fly by in the live simulation on the Nasa's Eyes App.

I wonder if it has to fly upside down to work properly

yes I realize there is no right-side-up in space!

Watching the satellite turn and spin to take data and then "broadcast" towards earth is really neat actually. :)

matmanx1

Fun fact, voyager was a modified nes and the reason its been able to operate so long is the cartridge slot was left open, allowing for space dust to continually blow into the compartment to ensure normal operation.

I laughed out loud at this, I admit it.

Three

Sony clearly broadening its customer base to the rest of the solar system. Just wait until the Aliens get their hands on those sweet, sweet PS1 exclusives.

Could you imagine if it sold to just 1% of another planet? They would outsell the iphone.

This is kinda silly

I'm pretty sure Pentium line is considered one of the worst mainstream CPUs made. To the point where it can return wrong results on floating point calculations (in addition to P4 having worse performance/clock than the P3)

Ty4on

Wonder why they didn't just use a 486 or the original Pentium or something...
RISC over CISC. I would imagine it is much easier to debug which needs to be easy when the machine is 4 billion km away and communicating with the backup computer.

Intel and AMD PC CPU's won't be the most efficient because they always have to be backwards compatible with old PC CPU's. They convert old CISC instructions to RISC instructions internally. A real RISC chip would be much more efficient.

Also, if you don't need more speed, why waste precious energy and reliability on it.

Herne

Piffle! Long before this, the MOS 6502 processor (and variants) found on all these machines (in no particular order) was installed as a part of the Hubble Space Telescope, giving us beautiful images for decades -

C64c_system.jpg

commodore.png

apple.png

appleii-system.jpg

P6010002.jpg

_44506676_micro2-poster.jpg

$_32.JPG

NES-01.jpg

...and loads more that I couldn't be bothered to find images for. I can't actually find anything about it online but I remember C64 magazines going on about it at some point back in the day, with one claiming that the "C64's serial bus" is also on the Hubble.

They were going to run it at full speed, but couldn't find an extension cord for the power outlet that was long enough.

As for 486, I've seen 486-based PCs crash a whole heck of a lot more than I've seen a PSX crash. The PSX CPU is quite a bit simpler and less power hungry, which is important for a long mission away from human hands like this.

Exactly. Reliability and small power footprint are key to understand this.

And let's not forget that the chip have to be able to withstand some nasty space radiations.

Plus, it performs some mundane tasks, like managing communications and guidance. It's not out there to analyze stuff, so it doesn't need to be all that powerful and complex.

This is the job of the NASA guys here, on Earth.

DedValve

Banned
Crazy Ken is an intergalactic boss.

Little did anyone (but Nasa) knew was that Crazy Ken was building space probes that happened to play video games rather than a console that happened to be a space probe. Being rejected at Nasa he now has the final laugh.

PS4 ruined everything.

SpecX

So we have PS1's dominating space and PS2's dominating the military. I wonder what they will do next with the 3 and 4?

Top Bottom