• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 1 CPU powers #PlutoFlyBy / NewHorizon probe

Theonik

So we have PS1's dominating space and PS2's dominating the military. I wonder what they will do next with the 3 and 4?
The US Air Force used to run farms of PS3s running Linux. There was also the folding@home project for the PS3!

I doubt that a decade long no-service can't-fail sortie is not the sort of place to go innovating. Better for it to be super reliable and efficient.

They should send a 3DS for the next probe /stability

mintylurb

They were going to run it at full speed, but couldn't find an extension cord for the power outlet that was long enough.

As for 486, I've seen 486-based PCs crash a whole heck of a lot more than I've seen a PSX crash. The PSX CPU is quite a bit simpler and less power hungry, which is important for a long mission away from human hands like this.

That's because risc based chips are supposed to be simpler in design than cisc based chips which is why risc chips are generally used in many low power/embedded systems.
RIP AIM alliance.

c0de

Hey, the Wii also in space:

http://www.cpushack.com/space-craft-cpu.html

"Dual BAE RAD750 @ 400MIPS (up to 200MHz): Radiation Hardened version of the IBM PowerPC 750 (one configured as a backup, that can take over if the other fails (or a software update disables it). The processor is designed to have no more then one single event upset (a problem requiring intervention from Earth) in its 15 year lifespan."

mintylurb

Hey, the Wii also in space:

http://www.cpushack.com/space-craft-cpu.html

"Dual BAE RAD750 @ 400MIPS (up to 200MHz): Radiation Hardened version of the IBM PowerPC 750 (one configured as a backup, that can take over if the other fails (or a software update disables it). The processor is designed to have no more then one single event upset (a problem requiring intervention from Earth) in its 15 year lifespan."

PPC 750 is based on AIM's PPC G3 Apple CPU..so Apple G3 is in space~ I had a G3 and it was a monster....

wsippel

Banned
They were going to run it at full speed, but couldn't find an extension cord for the power outlet that was long enough.

As for 486, I've seen 486-based PCs crash a whole heck of a lot more than I've seen a PSX crash. The PSX CPU is quite a bit simpler and less power hungry, which is important for a long mission away from human hands like this.
Stability doesn't seem to be the issue here. Stuff in LEO (low earth orbit) often uses x86 CPUs. Hubble uses a 486 CPU, the ISS a 386 CPU. I assume those chips require either too much power, or too much shielding (or both) to be useful for deep space stuff.

Mihos

Gold Member
According to the website above the Sony Playstation CPU that's now in New Horizons has been modified for space travel and now costs $20,000 to $40,000

Hardening a microscopic system to survive 20+ years of radiation, use less power than your watch, and less heat than an active lizard with less 1 failure requiring a remote intervention is no joke.

Mihos

Gold Member
Stability doesn't seem to be the issue here. Stuff in LEO (low earth orbit) often uses x86 CPUs. Hubble uses a 486 CPU, the ISS a 386 CPU. I assume those chips require either too much power, or too much shielding (or both) to be useful for deep space stuff.

you can use solar panels near earth, that takes a lot of pressure off power requirements. It also allows you to use active cooling

Xater

See Sony, I told you now was the time for a new Colony Wars on PS4, even NASA helps you out for the marketing!!!1

If the original PSX can fly to Pluto and play Colony Wars just imagine what the PS4 could achieve in Space with a new Colony Wars!

Never stop fighting the good fight Sidewinder. I'm with you brother.

See Sony, I told you now was the time for a new Colony Wars on PS4, even NASA helps you out for the marketing!!!1

If the original PSX can fly to Pluto and play Colony Wars just imagine what the PS4 could achieve in Space with a new Colony Wars!

You have my sword.

EDIT: lol that guy, is he serious?

I think they should have used Pentium.

*gets called out*

I didn't know I needed to actually know what I was talking about to have an opinion fuck you guys.

*gets called out again*

joesiv

486 crashes are probably more to do with the software, and/or the associated system (ram, NB/SB/etc..)

The question of 486 vs MIPS3000, it probably came down to power consumption as you ay, but also performance. the MIPS3000 does about 5x's the performance of a 486 DX 66mhz in floating point. I would assume FP is the types of calculations needed for navigational calculations.

Downclocking would also be about reliability and power consumption.

Mihos

Gold Member
486 crashes are probably more to do with the software, and/or the associated system (ram, NB/SB/etc..)

The question of 486 vs MIPS3000, it probably came down to power consumption as you ay, but also performance. the MIPS3000 does about 5x's the performance of a 486 DX 66mhz in floating point. I would assume FP is the types of calculations needed for navigational calculations.

Downclocking would also be about reliability and power consumption.

course corrections are usually planned from earth months in advance, I would think it's primary focus would be data compression.

cafemomo

that hack Cerny could only wish his console powers rocketships
JWRWJDo.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PPC 750 is based on AIM's PPC G3 Apple CPU..so Apple G3 is in space~ I had a G3 and it was a monster....

Had one as well. It was a beast, until you had to reboot almost daily for running out of virtual memory since they lacked the ability to flush the ram.

RedToad64

What is up with government programs using PlayStation devices for every little thing? I guess it's true...
It only does everything.

Wonder why they didn't just use a 486 or the original Pentium or something...

I have no idea what is the power requirements for pentium or 486, but they said somewhere the whole craft uses 28W to work. Might be that it's a question of energy consumption.

Edit:

Yup
The reason for all this redundancy, and for the relatively anemic hardware in the first place, is power consumption and radiation hardening.

Source: http://mobile.extremetech.com/lates...s-space-probe-powered-by-playstation?origref=

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Can anyone explain why they use this instead of a newer part? It says that they use older parts for reliability, but wouldn't it be possible to make a newer part that's more reliable, more powerful, and more power efficient? Or does it become a matter of cost at that point?

IvorB

Can anyone explain why they use this instead of a newer part? It says that they use older parts for reliability, but wouldn't it be possible to make a newer part that's more reliable, more powerful, and more power efficient? Or does it become a matter of cost at that point?

Well I would guess they want to go for a part that's been tried and tested over the years. How do you demonstrate that a newer part is more reliable than something that's been in use for many years?

c0de

A very crucial part is that old processors are known to work.
This doesn't really apply to new, much more complex cpus. Google for “Intel cpu errata“, Intel is quite open with this. Compilers know often these bugs and create code to circumvent them. Also it is possible to update the microcode for processors since several years.
So it's not only power and power efficiency but also stability and a predictive behavior that makes people choose old hardware.

Designing new parts and testing those parts is a very long process and costs. For this mission they had only 4 years to catch the Jupiter window for much faster approach to pluto.

And when it comes to space exploration, a piece of hardware you know that works and you can rely on, is more than worth it's weight on gold, since the operation costs easily several hundreds of million dollars and possibly decades of work, you really want your vehicle to be as fail safe as possible and to work.

The RAD750 is a 10W board. The Mongoose-V is a really lower power board in comparison. When you're away from the sun relying on an ever lowering output RTG every watt counts.

The R3000 instruction set is tiny. 50 instructions in total IIRC and has a very limited number of addressing modes. A tiny number of instructions compared to the 486 which has hundreds plus four addressing modes. More instructions, larger decodes, more powerful decoder, more microcode, larger chip, more power, more bugs.

R3000 programs are easier to code, easier to debug, easy to step through, easy to know what will happen. You don't exactly get multiple shots at this stuff so its kind of imperative you're able to know with some measure of certainty that what you put there is what's going to happen.

The other thing is that VxWorks doesn't support the 486. This RTOS is legendary for being absolutely fucking bulletproof and it's NASA's go to off the shelf OS for that very reason. It doesn't support any earlier than a Pentium. But its been on MIPS for decades.

Nafai1123

Banned
Because when you thought your PS1 was broke, you can turn it upside down and it will work.
Some of the NASA people probably grew up and knew about the durability of the PS1 with that simple trick, so they decided to use the PS1 CPU.

They knew that since there is no gravity in space, it would work 100% of the time!

infovore

Neo Member

It is a radiation-hardened version of the R3000. So while the basic architecture is old, the part itself is (comparatively) new. The R3000 has the advantage of being comparatively small and simple, requiring little power, and yet delivering decent performance within those constraints.

MIPS is widely used in embedded systems, so there are up-to-date tool chains for development, and it isn't hard to find people who know the architecture.

Why investing billions in a new chip family if you can just buy the spaceproof version of off-the-shelf product family - while knowing that there is a production line avaiable in the near future.

Never stop fighting the good fight Sidewinder. I'm with you brother.

If Shenmue fans can get what they want, then so can we!!

I've read an old article recently about some Psygnosis dudes, who were talking about Colony Wars and one of them said he repeatedly asked Sony to make a new one, but they told him there was no market for space operas anymore... but I'd say that now things have changed!

I'll search the article.

Edit:

Here it is, very interesting stuff, you should read it if you haven't yet and the last comment on the page too:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134865/how_colony_wars_came_to_be.php

This one too:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/IsaiahTaylor/20111001/8562/Colony_Wars_And y_Satterthwhaites_Side.php

mintylurb

The RAD750 is a 10W board. The Mongoose-V is a really lower power board in comparison. When you're away from the sun relying on an ever lowering output RTG every watt counts.

The R3000 instruction set is tiny. 50 instructions in total IIRC and has a very limited number of addressing modes. A tiny number of instructions compared to the 486 which has hundreds plus four addressing modes. More instructions, larger decodes, more powerful decoder, more microcode, larger chip, more power, more bugs.

R3000 programs are easier to code, easier to debug, easy to step through, easy to know what will happen. You don't exactly get multiple shots at this stuff so its kind of imperative you're able to know with some measure of certainty that what you put there is what's going to happen.

The other thing is that VxWorks doesn't support the 486. This RTOS is legendary for being absolutely fucking bulletproof and it's NASA's go to off the shelf OS for that very reason. It doesn't support any earlier than a Pentium. But its been on MIPS for decades.

But p4 lasts a decade! I kid. Should let FZZpure off the hook now.

Gestault

If a component handles the task, "more" isn't necessarily more. And from the sounds of it, the power efficiency wasn't an engineering challenge.

Top Bottom