• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

kyser73

okay I don't doubt that, but do you think that the 'lots of people' would equate/amount to hundreds of thousands, or possibly even millions of gamers? I don't think the bad mS publicity would have that much of an effect.

okay. but it's also obviously not going to do nothing at all. at most, what differences will we see with games that will apply it vs those that don't?

unless you're trolling, the post that I quoted above yours kinda contradicts what you're trying to say here.

You know nothing. When MS unleash the power of the DX12 cloud and 3D stacked die, Sony will be eating dirt. MS literally don't want anyone to know this stuff.

Do a search for a website called 'MisterXmedia

Welfare

okay I don't doubt that, but do you think that the 'lots of people' would equate/amount to hundreds of thousands, or possibly even millions of gamers? I don't think the bad mS publicity would have that much of an effect.

MS probably lost a lot of fans thanks to it. I mean look at the US sales in 2013 and all of 2014 besides the holidays. More people were picking up PS4's than Xbox One's in the US.

Not to mention all the ground they lost in Europe.

Don't you remember all the hate going on for that 2 month period? I'd venture yes, some people bought a PS4 because it wasn't the Xbox One.
one of my best friends who had a 360, responded by saying what people were saying about the xbone and its policies were fucked up. particularly the "how to share your Ps4 games" vid. in fact here's the facebook comment he made when I asked him his take on e3 2 years ago
looks pretty good too bad I don't care for littlebigplanet, god of war, or metal gear. smart price tag tho, and I thought it was funny they made a big deal over the fact that it plays used games like its a "feature" or something, I think it was just to say "fuck you" to the xbox1.
so I thought that the hardcore xbox/360 gamers didn't care or fall for the bad mS publicity, and got the xbone anyway.

Alo0oy

Banned
Yes, yes I do.

I doubt people outside the USA would have bought Xbox One anyway, since they never cared about X360 last gen despite launching earlier & vastly cheaper than the PS3, & its those markets that the PS4 is dominating right now. The only markets that Xbone blunders affected are the US & UK, & as I've already mentioned the PS4 would still be the market leader even if it sold zero units in those markets.

Sony was smart in focusing in those markets with the PS3, & the growth in those markets paid off tremendously with the PS4.

Sony was smart in focusing in those markets with the PS3, & the growth in those markets paid off tremendously with the PS4.

Well, I would hope so.

They weren't doing so hot in the US at the start, they would have had to turn their sights somewhere.

MS probably lost a lot of fans thanks to it. I mean look at the US sales in 2013 and all of 2014 besides the holidays. More people were picking up PS4's than Xbox One's in the US.

Did they lose fans or did unbiased gamers just choose to buy the cheaper, more powerful console? A lot of those 360 owners were previously PS2 owners. I would say they have done as well they have so far because of brand loyalty.

Don't get me wrong they did piss a lot of people off, but until this past holiday season's sales PS4 was the better value.

Yes, & that was by far the biggest reason the PS4 is dominating this gen, it certainly wasn't MS's blunders.

Mmm....

I can see where you're coming from, and I do agree Sony's proven territories did help. But I feel MS's blunders more or less drove the stake in for this gen in those territories where some may have been on the fence and wanted to see where the ball landed before making a decision.

It'll just be an SDK update for the console. Improved efficiency, tools, etc.
does the Ps4 have any regularly updated SDKs too?
You know nothing. When MS unleash the power of the DX12 cloud and 3D stacked die, Sony will be eating dirt. MS literally don't want anyone to know this stuff.

Do a search for a website called 'MisterXmedia
you wanna know something funny, last year when I started posting here people were calling me misterxmedia and I had no idea what it meant. here's links to 2 of the posts -->
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=134776996#476
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=134889955#716

lost a lot of fans yes, but enough to tip the scales? I mean obviously the scales are tipped forever more in the Ps4's favor but is a large part of the tipping thanks to all the 360toPs4 converts?

I've asked this question before... if the Ps3 was still the strongest brand worldwide last gen, is the reason it took so long for it to catch up in worldwide sales that the 360 was just that strong in the U.S/UK?

MLB 14 The Show remained the best sports sim on the market(from what I've heard)
Resogun is still one of the best games available on next gen
Infamous first light was probably one of the best DLCs of all time
Hohokum was by all accounts a great game.

But do these games not count?

Hohokum and Resogun are great. Those and Rogue Legacy are my three favourite games on PS4. I'm mainly talking about the big, retail games though. The 'system sellers'.

First Light I only just got around to last week, so far I'm pretty disappointed with it. Hasn't really done anything new with the gameplay so far and the story sucks.

And I'm not even sure MLB games release where I live, I've never noticed them at least. Baseball isn't really a thing here.

I think even without all of Microsoft's PR blunders PS4 would have dominated worldwide. Microsoft may have done everything wrong, Sony did everything right from the reveal event. They don't get enough credit for that, and instead people just say its because Microsoft messed up.

When you see that the US only accounts for 30-32% of PS4 sales it shows that Microsoft never stood a chance even if they had gotten like 60% of the market in the US.

kyser73

Mmm....

I can see where you're coming from, and I do agree Sony's proven territories did help. But I feel MS's blunders more or less drove the stake in for this gen in those territories where some may have been on the fence and wanted to see where the ball landed before making a decision.

I think in some EU countries the combination of making a big deal of NFL/TV deals and the timing of the Snowden leaks and the articles about how Kinect2 would be sending info back to MS pretty much screwed them before launch (especially Germany).

Alo0oy

Banned
Mmm....

MS didn't make those mistakes with X360, but people still didn't buy it in those territories, I live in one of those territories, & most people don't even know that there is a console not called Playstation, in the local language, people don't say "I'll play video games", but "I'll play playstation", it was too late for MS.

kyser73

does the Ps4 have any regularly updated SDKs too?

you wanna know something funny, last year when I started posting here people were calling me misterxmedia and I had no idea what it meant. here's links to 2 of the posts -->
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=134776996#476
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=134889955#716

lost a lot of fans yes, but enough to tip the scales? I mean obviously the scales are tipped forever more in the Ps4's favor but is a large part of the tipping thanks to all the 360toPs4 converts?

I've asked this question before... if the Ps3 was still the strongest brand worldwide last gen, is the reason it took so long for it to catch up in worldwide sales that the 360 was just that strong in the U.S/UK?

Haha, ah mate I'd forgotten how much of a kicking you took here in your early days!

Alo0oy

Banned
Hohokum and Resogun are great. Those and Rogue Legacy are my three favourite games on PS4. I'm mainly talking about the big, retail games though. The 'system sellers'.

First Light I only just got around to last week, so far I'm pretty disappointed with it. Hasn't really done anything new with the gameplay so far and the story sucks.

And I'm not even sure MLB games release where I live, I've never noticed them at least. Baseball isn't really a thing here.

MLB The Show doesn't release where I live either, but we're talking about Sony as a publisher, & they published as many games last year as EA has in nearly three years, whether you like those games or not is up to the individual.

Welfare

Xbox 360 in the US sold over 40 million units. UK is over 8 million. Basically those 2 regions accounted for ~50 million units.

I think even without all of Microsoft's PR blunders PS4 would have dominated worldwide. Microsoft may have done everything wrong, Sony did everything right from the reveal event. They don't get enough credit for that, and instead people just say its because Microsoft messed up.

When you see that the US only accounts for 30-32% of PS4 sales it shows that Microsoft never stood a chance even if they had gotten like 60% of the market in the US.

PS4 would still be ahead, yes. But if MS didn't fuck up, I think this "race" would be closer. Not that much closer, but closer.

Did they lose fans or did unbiased gamers just choose to buy the cheaper, more powerful console? A lot of those 360 owners were previously PS2 owners. I would say they have done as well they have so far because of brand loyalty.

Don't get me wrong they did piss a lot of people off, but until this past holiday season's sales PS4 was the better value.

I was an Xbox, then 360 owner. I bought a PS4.

I wouldn't say I was an Xbox fan, but I was a Halo 2/3 fan and didn't even pay attention to Sony.

After the Xbox One keynote and then the Ps4 event at E3, I pre-ordered both. But as the months went on I decided to go with the PS4. Bungie was multiplatform (unfortunately Destiny wasn't that hot) and 343 has not impressed. I console game exclusively and the indie friendliness of the PS4 was appealing as well.

I'm still happy with my decision. Most of my friends did the same thing.

I would say MS turned me from an Xbox fan to a neutral party, with a slight distrust of MS in the future.

MLB The Show doesn't release where I live either, but we're talking about Sony as a publisher, & they published as many games last year as EA has in nearly three years, whether you like those games or not is up to the individual.

Yes, and I'm just saying that I haven't been liking their games.

Alo0oy

Banned
PS4 would still be ahead, yes. But if MS didn't fuck up, I think this "race" would be closer. Not that much closer, but closer.

It would be closer I agree, but insignificantly so, if you reverse the sales in the US & UK between PS4 & Xbox One, the lead would shrink by about ~1.5 million, & those were the only territories MS had any chance in, mainland EU was Sony land & X360 stopped selling in EU as soon as GT5 launched, which was long before the Xbox One reveal.

Haha, ah mate I'd forgotten how much of a kicking you took here in your early days!
I still do, man! hell, I still have a lot to learn. But I'm adapting. It hasn't been a full year since I've joined. I kinda miss how everyone would quote me with my avatar though, lol.
Xbox 360 in the US sold over 40 million units. UK is over 8 million. Basically those 2 regions accounted for ~50 million units.
and that's LTD? What are the Ps3's by comparison? and everywhere else the Ps3 was outselling the 360 year round?

Maybe there's other markets that 360 sold more too,but as a whole Ps3 won everywhere else.
If the Ps3 was winning everywhere else for the most part but still losing in worldwide sales, I think that fact just emphasizes how the U.S is the strongest market for console gaming period.

so if the xbone were to take back the U.S, that would be a pretty big deal.

Alo0oy

Banned
If the Ps3 was winning everywhere else for the most part but still losing in worldwide sales, I think that fact just emphasizes how the U.S is the strongest market for console gaming period.

It was losing Worldwide because it launched a year & half after the X360 in those markets, launch aligned the PS3 was still outselling X360 WW.

Fdkn

But it wasn't losing.

It launched a year later (a little more maybe?) and it sold ~the same, so in reality it was selling more than 360 every year.

Sony is fucking killing it this gen. I still remember the 'feels' from the Feb.2013 reveal. The 'PlayStation Ethos' trailer is even now, incredibly tight.

PlayStation Ethos: http://youtu.be/7fMRYPZ4Jek
I feel like they were taking a jab at xbox @ 2:19.
It was losing Worldwide because it launched a year & half after the X360 in those markets, launch aligned the PS3 was still outselling X360 WW.
launched aligned it was outselling the 360 but once they were on the market together, it was struggling to still beat it or match it in the U.S?
But it wasn't losing.

It launched a year later (a little more maybe?) and it sold ~the same, so in reality it was selling more than 360 every year.
If it wasn't losing, then sony wouldn't find a need to cut the price so quickly. iirc, it was less than a year that they slashed the price yeah?

No?

How do you think the PS3 managed to close a 10 million gap if it wasn't outselling it? China?
I was much younger and naive back then than I am now but everyone around from school to the goddamn gamestop employees made it sound like the Ps3 was failing fucking hard. So I assumed it was not doing very well relatively speaking at all. And I didn't distinguish this region (as the strongest for consoles) from the rest of the world, except for Japan where I knew it was winning most of the time.

joecanada

Absolutely.

• Bloodborne: Too hardcore. Doesn't count.
  • MLB 15: Lol sports. Doesn't count
  • Tearaway Unfolded: Just a port of a Vita game. Doesn't count.
  • Until Dawn: Looks like a B-horror movie. Too cinematic. Doesn't count.
  • No Man's Sky: What do I even do in this game? Doesn't count.
  • Persona 5: Niche JRPG. Doesn't count.
  • Uncharted 4: Counts

I'm buying all of them.

Great list! Now do the previous years games! Lol

Alo0oy

Banned
I was much younger and naive back then than I am now but everyone around from school to the goddamn gamestop employees made it sound like the Ps3 was failing fucking hard. So I assumed it was not doing very well relatively speaking at all. And I didn't distinguish this region (as the strongest for consoles) from the rest of the world, except for Japan where I knew it was winning most of the time.

It was failing pretty hard in the US.

It wasn't only in your school though, in the internet people only cared about NPD for some reason as well.

This is without God of War. God of War 3 sold over 1 million in the first month back in 2010. Also without uncharted, gran turismo, and the biggest one right now would be The sequel for The Last of Us. And what if Sony teams up with Konami to bundle MGS5 with the ps4 worldwide? And a price drop after that!
I've been enjoying the crap out of my ps4 lately thanks to advanced warfare zombies.
Sony you have proven that playstation still the biggest gaming brand to date.

It wasn't only in your school though, in the internet people only cared about NPD for some reason as well.

Its because its the only monthly data we get besides the weekly data from media create. Ofcourse you are going to focus on the data you get monthly, then say the data you get once or twice a year.

Great list! Now do the previous years games! Lol
now, what would be the point of that?

that's what I'm saying. it was failing in the U.S, but winning worldwide and yet, couldn't match the 360 in worldwide sales. I mean, how was it exactly a year after the Ps3 launched? because that's how much of a headstart the 360 had
This is without God of War. God of War 3 sold over 1 million in the first month back in 2010. Also without uncharted, gran turismo, and the biggest one right now would be The sequel for The Last of Us. And what if Sony teams up with Konami to bundle MGS5 with the ps4 worldwide? And a price drop after that!
I've been enjoying the crap out of my ps4 lately thanks to advanced warfare zombies.
some guy in an uncharted thread told me Uc3 sold 5 million the first month, I think. so that's that.

Alo0oy

Banned

God of War 3 sold over 5 million worldwide
Gran Turismo 5 sold ~16 million combined with prologue
Uncharted 3 sold ~9 million
The Last of Us PS3 version sold 7 million

Yup, once any sequel to those games hit, it's going to be a massacre. Although Microsoft has Halo & Gears coming up as well. Halo 3 sold 10-11 million & Gears 3 sold 6+ million.

now, what would be the point of that?

that's what I'm saying. it was failing in the U.S, but winning worldwide and yet, couldn't match the 360 in worldwide sales. I mean, how was it exactly a year after the Ps3 launched? because that's how much of a headstart the 360 had

some guy in an uncharted thread told me Uc3 sold 5 million the first month, I think. so that's that.

There's no way uncharted 3 sold 5 million in its first month. God of War 3 sold over a million on the U.S. alone he first month. Uncharted 3 didn't crack a million in the US alone the first month.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Seriously, this gen is a wrap. If you had any doubts that ps4 would be the undisputed champ, well now's the time to wake up

But but but its a marathon, not a sprint!

Seriously, anyone with half a brain (or who wasn't a blind fanboy) knew this Gen had been decided the moment Sony's 2013 E3 conference ended...

There's no way uncharted 3 sold 5 million in its first month. God of War 3 sold over a million on the U.S. alone he first month. Uncharted 3 didn't crack a million in the US alone the first month.

There is a whole world outside the US, as evidenced by this thread. But yeah, I'm pretty sure it wasn't 5 million, more like 3.something million

i'm pretty sure gow3 sold a million in the first week. as for Uc3
First week would be hard, but Uncharted 3 sold 5 million in its first month, 1 extra million in a similar timeframe is very achievable.

Top Bottom