• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

legacyzero

Banned
Proud owner.

it0hJs9yoSWxF.gif

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing how well it's selling considering its lack of good exclusives. Sorry but it's true. From good will established prelaunch, to initial price advantage, hardware advantage, and knowing Sony has many of the best devs so games will in some time come, not to mention MS handing them this gen, that's what's saving them.

The lack of quality first party games is incredible. How can't Sony and MS get this right already at launch to one year? I mean infamous is solid and all, but that's about it. Especially with the firepower Sony has developer wise, it's shocking.

Anyways, business will pick up this year with bloodborne and Uncharted, but hopefully for their sake they have more than that.

You're being disingenuous by mentioning Infamous as the only exclusive when there are others, and also failing to realize that exclusives are not the only system sellers, where arguably nowadays multi platform titles sell consoles considerably more than exclusives.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Can't wait for P5...that's probably one of my most anticipated games of the year. And that's coming direct to PS4.

Its shitty because Sony doesn't have that there in the US PR, but in the Japan PR they do.

WTF? Why not advertise an amazing game with potentially hundreds of hours of gameplay? Just cause it doesn't have realistic gritty shootbangybang?

Seriously, this gen is a wrap. If you had any doubts that ps4 would be the undisputed champ, well now's the time to wake up

I never had doubts, even when the rumors were popping up. Playstation has always been a worldwide juggernaut. A lot of others who thought otherwise looked mostly at N.A.

David___

Banned
Can't wait for P5...that's probably one of my most anticipated games of the year. And that's coming direct to PS4.

Its shitty because Sony doesn't have that there in the US PR, but in the Japan PR they do.

WTF? Why not advertise an amazing game with potentially hundreds of hours of gameplay? Just cause it doesn't have realistic gritty shootbangybang?

No point in advertising when the game is still months out.

Alo0oy

Banned
I never had doubts, even when the rumors were popping up. Playstation has always been a worldwide juggernaut. A lot of others who thought otherwise looked mostly at N.A.

Yeah, PS3 sold like ~60 million outside NA, & that's without the growth in the ME & Asian markets seen this gen.

Some people put too much stock in NA, even if the PS4 sold zero units in NA, the installbase would still be 13+ million, which would still make it the market leader, & still faster than the PS3 & X360 in the same timeframe.

Absolutely.

• Bloodborne: Too hardcore. Doesn't count.
  • MLB 15: Lol sports. Doesn't count
  • Tearaway Unfolded: Just a port of a Vita game. Doesn't count.
  • Until Dawn: Looks like a B-horror movie. Too cinematic. Doesn't count.
  • No Man's Sky: What do I even do in this game? Doesn't count.
  • Persona 5: Niche JRPG. Doesn't count.
  • Uncharted 4: Counts

tbh I look at that and Bloodborne and P5 are the only games that 'count' for me. But they do really, really count.

Okay, just 3 weeks until Bloodborne. I can handle this wait....probably

tbh I look at that and Bloodborne and P5 are the only games that 'count' for me. But they do really, really count.

what do you mean by 'count' then? if you mean blockbuster, system seller, then Uc4 definitely counts whether you are interested in it or not.

quick question: is no man's sky only going to be available digitally?
I don't think we know yet for sure, but I'm nearly positive they've said they want a retail copy on shelves. For the game to be a hit, I think it could really use a retail copy. I'm sure we'll get confirmation on all that release info soon!
In Japan, 4 means death.

So does Uncharted 4 really count?
Holy shit you're right. PS4 confirmed to have absolutely NO games!

I mean that's fair that they only "count" for you since it's all you're interested in. But it IS factually incorrect for anyone to say that the console doesn't have exclusives. It absolutely does.

Nice. Over 20 million already is very good. If there's a good Black Friday bundle this year I'll probably be buying a second PS4 before the year is over.

It was delayed at the last minute.
so there's no word on when it will actually launch there?
I don't think we know yet for sure, but I'm nearly positive they've said they want a retail copy on shelves. For the game to be a hit, I think it could really use a retail copy. I'm sure we'll get confirmation on all that release info soon!
sounds good to me. i wouldn't mind getting the digital version, but i'd get it sooner if it was physical.

It just means the only games he/she is interested.
oh. well all was fair game then.

Why are people confused about sales? There were some crazy hyped 3rd party titles last year. You can complain about the development choices and whether they'll have a lasting legacy but Watchdogs, Destiny, Advanced Warfare and Unity were huge titles.

Bloodborne, MLB The Show, Tearaway Unfolded, Until Dawn, No Man's Sky, Persona 5, Uncharted 4 and probably at least one more unannounced retail game for Fall like LBP3 at last year's E3. Lots of digital games coming too.

Very solid lineup for 2015.

I'll add to that; Ys 8, Dragon Quest Heroes, One Piece Pirate Warriors 3, Toukiden Kiwami, J-Stars Victory Vs, The Tomorrow Children, RIME, Disgaea 5. The PS4 is no slouch this year. Some may say these don't count since they're niche etc, but it's content! Good content at that, regardless of what how relevant it is to the mainstream market.

what do you mean by 'count' then? if you blockbuster, system seller, then Uc4 definitely counts whether you are interested in it or not.

I mean that's fair that they only "count" for you since it's all you're interested in. But it IS factually incorrect for anyone to say that the console doesn't have exclusives. It absolutely does.

Yeah, you're right, just talking about my personal interests as far as making the system feel worthwhile.

Based on what we've heard, I'm sure there are many people who would buy a system to play UC4, though I really wish Naughty Dog was working on another new IP personally. I wouldn't think those other titles are system sellers, but collectively I know deep down they must count for something.

Yeah, you're right, just talking about my personal interests as far as making the system feel worthwhile.

Based on what we've heard, I'm sure there are many people who would buy a system to play UC4, though I really wish Naughty Dog was working on another new IP personally. I wouldn't think those other titles are system sellers, but collectively I know deep down they must count for something.
There's a lot of speculation in this regard, but I really do think this might be ND's last Uncharted. Maybe not, maybe so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oh, I certainly know people who have said themselves that they're holding out on a Ps4 for Uc4.

but anyways, imo, this will be the last uncharted game with nathan drake as the main character and, it's likely ND will move on to new IPs after this, but since sony owns uncharted, they can always get another studio to continue with it, but I don't think nathan drake will be the protagonist. it'll either be spinoffs, or just a new set of characters.

oh, I certainly know people who have said themselves that they're holding out on a Ps4 for Uc4.

but anyways, imo, this will be the last uncharted game with nathan drake as the main character and, it's likely ND will move on to new IPs after this, but since sony owns uncharted, they can always get another studio to continue with it, but I don't think nathan drake will be the protagonist. it'll either be spinoffs, or just a new set of characters.
LittleBigPlanet is a slightly comparable franchise from the PS3 era. They let Media Molecule go do other things instead of doing LBP3. Spinoffs or UC4 sequels will presumably be the same way.

Their last game was a new IP. It's completely unreasonable to expect a new IP from them one after another and expect them to deliver the goods every single time.

I'm enjoying my PS4 for what it is right now, just finished GTA5. Completed The Last Of Us and Infamous SS. Got some good scares out of P.T... but I'm still waiting for that first must-have PS4 game.

Zil33184

Its amazing how many 'analysts' thought these consoles were going to flop. Did they honestly think hardcore gamers (and even casual gamers) would just drop the COD's, Fifa's and Mass Effects etc of this world to go and play Candy Crush Saga on their phones 'full time' ?.

The short answer is yes they did.
Consumer habits are changing. The NPD Group's annual report shows that in the United States, money is shifting away from retail and toward digital as Americans continue to embrace smaller, cheaper digital content. According to a recent report by SuperData, the money spent on microtransactions of free-to-play games in the United States rose 42 percent last year.

LittleBigPlanet is a slightly comparable franchise from the PS3 era. They let Media Molecule go do other things instead of doing LBP3. Spinoffs or UC4 sequels will presumably be the same way.
I
Hopefully they won't let it fall off like LBP3 did. Uncharted is too valuable to cast aside or make a half-ass entry with or without Naughty Dog.

Bloodborne, MLB The Show, Tearaway Unfolded, Until Dawn, No Man's Sky, Persona 5, Uncharted 4 and probably at least one more unannounced retail game for Fall like LBP3 at last year's E3. Lots of digital games coming too.

Very solid lineup for 2015.

It's more the lineup up until now that's the problem.

Knack sucked.
Killzone sucked (from what I've heard, not my thing so haven't played it).
Infamous was decent, though a step down from 2 in many areas.
Driveclub was broken at launch.
LittleBigPlanet 3 was fairly average from what I've heard (yet to play it myself).
The Order has had a very bad reception (again, just from what I've heard as it's not my thing).

So while the future line up looks promising, the games above looked promising at one point too. I have faith Bloodborne and Persona will deliver at least though.

Top Bottom