• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

BouncyFrag

Got caught spying on Nintendo before PS1 and using deflated specs vs Xbox during the PS2 era. Sony's legacy and this 20 million is tainted.
untitled-25-250x140.png

That's really impressive.

There's simply no way the Xbox can catch up, specially bring successful in the US only. The PS4 is a worldwide juggernaut.

Congrats to Sony.

Ye it seems like the US only accounts for 30-32% of the PS4's sales if we go by MPL90's calculations.

Piggus

To be fair to him, 600Kish difference in the US is much closer to the what, 8-9 million difference worldwide.

The Bone costs $50 less, MS gives away over a $100 in extra stuff, and it's still being outsold in the US. To me that indicates that it really isn't that close. What is MS going to do when Sony drops the price of the PS4? MS built a weaker, less appealing system and they're probably literally paying the price for it.

The Bone costs $50 less, MS gives away over a $100 in extra stuff, and it's still being outsold in the US. To me that indicates that it really isn't that close. What is MS going to do when Sony drops the price of the PS4? MS built a weaker, less appealing system and they're probably literally paying the price for it.

Maybe they can bundle a PS4 with the X1s

DSN2K

Really good numbers for Sony, but I do wonder how much of its success is down to them but the trainwreck XB1 has been for the most part. MS really dropped the ball after making massive strides with the 360 in US and Europe. Its allowed Sony to pretty much steamroll with little software.

JordanN

Banned
The thing that blows my mind is that it's hitting these worldwide sales with very little help from Japan.
If it was last gen, this would have been shocking.

But Japan's decline in the game industry has been documented for quite some time now. North America and the rest of the world are bigger markets for plug and play console gaming.

Massa

Really good numbers for Sony, but I do wonder how much of its success is down to them but the trainwreck XB1 has been for the most part. MS really dropped the ball after making massive strides with the 360 in US and Europe. Its allowed Sony to pretty much steamroll with little software.

The PS4 has killer software. Today alone both Helldivers and OlliOlli 2 came out, insanely good line-up.

With the witcher, batman, until dawn and MGS all releasing in the May - September period i think they'll continue with the 750k - 1 million per month pace.

Ah I forgot that Batman is a June release and maybe MGS will hit then as well. Wow might actually not lose too much momentum through those months then

The PS4 has killer software. Today alone both Helldivers and OlliOlli 2 came out, insanely good line-up.

Not retail exclusives so therefore they cannot count.

Remember the rule of 3.

I anticipate 24-25 million by E3. Too many games are on the way.

It happens in every thread. One person wonders why the other 20 million people can't have the same opinion of every piece of software that they do.

The sales speak for themselves. Let the opinions be.

Jomjom

Banned
20.2 million people bought a console solely for Bloodborne.
And I can't blame them

My PS4 will finally get some use.

It's like 20.2 million people ignore all of the biggest selling games and only care about exclusives. Of those 20.2 million people, I wonder what people do if they don't own a capable PC or an Xbone and want to play games like Assassin's Creed or Destiny or CoD.

Monster numbers. It will definitely be interesting to see what developers think of the gap in sales between PS4 and Xbox One. What's the point of going exclusive to MS when the competition has twice the install base? No amount of dumptrucks with money can compensate for that.

Koobion

Feels like the PS2 madness back then, which is so exciting to see happen again. The positive momentum of the PS4 ever since its unveiling has been absolutely incredible - and deservedly so.

They don't really need to respond though. Unlike MS sony is playing the WW game and unless ps4 fails to reach their sales targets for the US they're gonna take profit over market share. Especially since the US market is only 30-35% of their overall sales.

No, they certainly don't need to. And yes, they do have the luxury of being able to take a global view. But a global view is lazy; they should look at each region on its own. Why not be more aggressive in your competition's strongest market?

"Taking the profit" is short-sighted, because it's profit now vs. (more) profit later. A console sold now equals games sold over the course of the entire generation. Why give up those game sales to your competition for the sake of $50? Why concede Q4 when that's literally conceding half the year, sales-wise, in that market?

Sony knew how to press their advantage in the past.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening

Strike

Great numbers. Wondering how many units they can sell by E3 or through the holidays. Maybe we should start a pool.

Macka

Amazing.

Plus there's probably a huge number of people like myself who are just waiting for a few more exclusives to drop before buying one. PS4 is going to have a huge generation, and after all of Microsoft's bullshit both before and after launching the Xbone...it's well deserved.

sphinx

the piano man
I am happy,but now watch third parties ignore the fact and devote resources to fucking moblle phone games.

Top Bottom