• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Really good numbers for Sony, but I do wonder how much of its success is down to them but the trainwreck XB1 has been for the most part. MS really dropped the ball after making massive strides with the 360 in US and Europe. Its allowed Sony to pretty much steamroll with little software.

They would have still been steamrolled WW. The gains Sony is making in the Middle East and Asia were never on the table for Microsoft. As for Europe, even a 15 month head start at a lower price point, at a time when MS were doing and saying the right things, still didn't matter at the end. With the PS4 and X1 launching at the same time and the Sony console being the cheaper one, I doubt MS would have seen any substantial increase in market share. Now the US might have been a little different, but still I don't think it would have made all too much of a difference in WW sales.

Comarketing for Arkham being on PS4 is a big deal. I think Sony will push it as hard as they did Destiny.

MGSV will move units too, even being cross gen.

I expect Sony to really push hard on MGSV as well. That series has been so closely associated with PlayStation for so long that there are people I know who are surprised to find out The Phantom Pain is even coming out on Xbox consoles. Mortal Kombat X should get some attention as well.

Bgamer90

Banned
More like "Does completely alienating your future fanbase matter during the biggest press video game press conference matter?"

While I'm sure specs matter and factor in to all this, Microsoft lost when they were $100 more expensive and had one of the worst PR disasters ever recorded for a console launch.

They would have lost even if the system was the same price out of the gate and didn't have a bad pre-launch period.

Playstation brand is simply more popular worldwide and both consoles released at the same time. Only thing that would probabaly be different is the system's position in the US and UK.

360 did many things right alongside the mistakes of the PS3, had a head start, but yet the PS3 still caught up in worldwide sales.

Shin-Ra

Not relevant but it's a GAF reference. From one of the devs at Q-Games -

B_Nu04oUQAEVCNG.jpg:large
The eyes are amazing.

SM3_Sweet.gif

First off the wiiu had descent third-party in the beginning of its life cycle, getting most of the major third-party franchises. It's released all of its major franchises and still can't break 10 million after 2 years, still behind the dreamcast that clearly tells me exclusives don't matter.
Mediocre would be a better term. It had some 3rd party support and lot of them being half assed. It lost that support during the first year. The Wii U's library has generally been absolutely pitiful bar the killer 1st party titles during 6 months of each year. Look at Wii U's overall library the first 6 months of 2014. It's garbage. It did release some of its major franchises and that's the only time you can see a beating heart in terms of sales from that machine. Without that, I doubt it would have sold half as much by now.

The Wii U's problem unfortunately is also some of the worst marketing ever done for a console. Especially since some people still don't know that Wii U is a console by itself not some addition to their Wii. Whichever marketing team decided to name it Wii U deserves to be thrown out of the building.

RetroStu

Banned
Its amazing how many 'analysts' thought these consoles were going to flop. Did they honestly think hardcore gamers (and even casual gamers) would just drop the COD's, Fifa's and Mass Effects etc of this world to go and play Candy Crush Saga on their phones 'full time' ?.

CoG

Really good numbers for Sony, but I do wonder how much of its success is down to them but the trainwreck XB1 has been for the most part. MS really dropped the ball after making massive strides with the 360 in US and Europe. Its allowed Sony to pretty much steamroll with little software.

I don't think anyone remembers E3 2013 outside of hardcore gamers. MS has turned it around as best they can. At the end of the day their console does not have the same mindshare that PS4 does. MS didn't do a good job of bolstering their 1st party at the second leg of the 360's life and they are paying the price now. If the Xbox One can't outsell the PS4 at a $50 price delta in the US as we found out in January and will confirm for sure in February, there's not much it can do other than drastically undercutting Sony.

J-Rzez

Amazing how well it's selling considering its lack of good exclusives. Sorry but it's true. From good will established prelaunch, to initial price advantage, hardware advantage, and knowing Sony has many of the best devs so games will in some time come, not to mention MS handing them this gen, that's what's saving them.

The lack of quality first party games is incredible. How can't Sony and MS get this right already at launch to one year? I mean infamous is solid and all, but that's about it. Especially with the firepower Sony has developer wise, it's shocking.

Anyways, business will pick up this year with bloodborne and Uncharted, but hopefully for their sake they have more than that.

Seriously, this gen is a wrap. If you had any doubts that ps4 would be the undisputed champ, well now's the time to wake up

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
PS4 must be killing in Europe, because in USA apparently is not so hot.

I know its an old post but...

That doesn't make any sense. Out of 1.8 million in the last 2 months, about 400 thousand were sold in the US in the slowest months of the year. That's not an insignificant portion even though its dwarfed by WW sales. If one looks at the PS4 console statistic sales by region, the US also has a pretty big portion too

Amazing how well it's selling considering its lack of good exclusives. Sorry but it's true. From good will established prelaunch, to initial price advantage, hardware advantage, and knowing Sony has many of the best devs so games will in some time come, not to mention MS handing them this gen, that's what's saving them.

The lack of quality first party games is incredible. How can't Sony and MS get this right already at launch to one year? I mean infamous is solid and all, but that's about it. Especially with the firepower Sony has developer wise, it's shocking.

Anyways, business will pick up this year with bloodborne and Uncharted, but hopefully for their sake they have more than that.

Bloodborne, MLB The Show, Tearaway Unfolded, Until Dawn, No Man's Sky, Persona 5, Uncharted 4 and probably at least one more unannounced retail game for Fall like LBP3 at last year's E3. Lots of digital games coming too.

Very solid lineup for 2015.

Bloodborne, MLB The Show, Tearaway Unfolded, Until Dawn, No Man's Sky, Persona 5, Uncharted 4 and probably at least one more unannounced retail game for Fall like LBP3 at last year's E3. Lots of digital games coming too.

Very solid lineup for 2015.

Most of those don't count for reasons though. The PS4 literally has nothing

Nice numbers.

Still haven't bit the bullet yet, but when my brother decides to sell me his (because he almost never uses it, surprisingly), that'll be the day.

Most of those don't count for reasons though. The PS4 literally has nothing
Absolutely.

• Bloodborne: Too hardcore. Doesn't count.
  • MLB 15: Lol sports. Doesn't count
  • Tearaway Unfolded: Just a port of a Vita game. Doesn't count.
  • Until Dawn: Looks like a B-horror movie. Too cinematic. Doesn't count.
  • No Man's Sky: What do I even do in this game? Doesn't count.
  • Persona 5: Niche JRPG. Doesn't count.
  • Uncharted 4: Counts

I'm buying all of them.

Pimpwerx

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and yours is terrible. PEACE.

DavidDesu

Imagine if it was doing well in Japan too

Bloodborne, MGSV, Persona 5. Also, surely the Monster Hunter publisher will need to address the PS4 market, but I have no idea about their deals with Nintendo.

I think, when Morpheus hits, with schoolgirl VR shenanigans we might see a purely coincidental spike in PS4 sales in Japan... :p

I do hope it starts selling over there eventually, gaming isn't quite the same without Japan at the core, but Japanese devs do need to catch up, although MGSV, Bloodborne and FFXV all show promising signs of Japanese devs making comparably well realised games as their Western counterparts, but with Japanese sensibilities.

Sony's success with the PS4 is staggering and shows just how far that goodwill created by them has gone, along with of course the far more important matter of better specs AND lower price compared to the XB1 has been what "won the war". Microsoft did indeed massively derail their highly successful Xbox brand, surely a lesson for the future of letting corporate asshats run the show and try to arrogantly extort money from their customer base (no second hand sales etc is effectively that). Sony did everything right by their customer that they could reasonably have been expected to and sales success is a sweet result. Also, I think their VR could genuinely take PS4 success to beyond Wii levels. Base system that's affordable and an affordable VR headset that is comfortable and does the job very well will get PS4's in many more living rooms around the world.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Its amazing how many 'analysts' thought these consoles were going to flop. Did they honestly think hardcore gamers (and even casual gamers) would just drop the COD's, Fifa's and Mass Effects etc of this world to go and play Candy Crush Saga on their phones 'full time' ?.

You mean the "analysts" on GAF, or real analysts?

Absolutely.

I'm buying all of them.
quick question: is no man's sky only going to be available digitally?

Mikey Jr.

Absolutely.

I'm buying all of them.

In Japan, 4 means death.

So does Uncharted 4 really count?

Top Bottom