• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

Monster numbers. It will definitely be interesting to see what developers think of the gap in sales between PS4 and Xbox One. What's the point of going exclusive to MS when the competition has twice the install base? No amount of dumptrucks with money can compensate for that.

Lara Croft is weeping breh.

Seriously though, if MS offer some studios enough cash to go exclusive, I'm sure some would take it despite the gap in install base.

Upfront
money talks.

I wonder if they will have a slimmer PSFOUR ready for the price drop and FFXV this year

Tn4T5rg.gif

Seriously though, if MS offer some studios enough cash to go exclusive, I'm sure some would take it despite the gap in install base.

Upfront
money talks.

As the distance between the two consoles widens, such deals will become more expensive and risky for MS. MS are in the business to make money, not to throw cash away at timed exclusives.

OT incredible numbers, even without the launch in China. March is going to be a big month and we could be looking at 24 million sold through for E3. Welcome back to the PS2 style generation of gaming renaissance (#believe)

Probably a little much considering that this is a traditionally slow time of year. Bloodborne will move some consoles, but not that many consoles- similar to a lot of other big exclusives, its audience is predominately people who probably already own the console.

Bloodborne will move units as well as MLB the Show...moves hardware every year and being the only baseball game out there will also help.

Upfront
money talks.

Yeah I imagine Square might be looking at their agreement with MS to see just how fast they can release a PS4 version of TR and any loopholes they can exploit.

As far as money goes, I don't think the investors at MS or the higher ups would want to dump too much money to secure a few games. Devs and publishers might start demanding more than MS is willing to pay. MS might be wary, especially when the results *cough Titanfall- haven't exactly helped console sales.

Yeah, it's a 52/48 split. That's pretty close - too close, I would say, if I were in charge of it. Sony should have responded to Microsoft's big holiday push and kept a commanding lead.

The lead will probably grow again until the Fall. They just can't make the same choice again to not be aggressive. I'm sure they are aware of this.

Freeman

Banned
2015 is going to be a beastly year for PS4, they have significant games coming out pretty much every month from now until the end of the year.

Jburton

Banned
Well there you have it, must be almost exactly 2:1 worldwide compared to its nearest competitor.

Hell of a job.

MS is in a tough spot. Spend money and secure exclusives for the foreseeable future and risk driving up the asking price or do nothing and quite possibly watch their market share slip further away.

It's an unenviable position to be in that's for sure.

2015 is going to be a beastly year for PS4, they have significant games coming out pretty much every month from now until the end of the year.

It's also a well rounded lineup with huge games coming from NA/Europe/Japan, im glad Japan is going to have a great year on consoles.

I'm always amused at how different the titles they list are between the English and Japanese release:

Persona 5, Street Fighter 5, MGS5, FFXV, Bloodborne, etc.

Somehow, I don't think they're going to list games that the Japanese market doesn't care about in a Japanese press release.

I dont mean to derail the thread, but whats the wii u at now? Lol. Congrats to sony though, im shocked at how well this thing is selling.

Monster numbers. It will definitely be interesting to see what developers think of the gap in sales between PS4 and Xbox One. What's the point of going exclusive to MS when the competition has twice the install base? No amount of dumptrucks with money can compensate for that.
What about the unprecedented partnership? Doesn't that count anymore?

PS4 selling 20 million is hugely impressive to me for the simple fact that the majority of 3rd party games released have been cross generation. A game like Batman is going to be a big deal for both the PS4 and XB1, games like that and eventually COD going current generation only will help drive sales further. There's little doubt PS4 will pass 30 million this year but the question is by how much.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
PS4 selling 20 million is hugely impressive to me for the simple fact that the majority of 3rd party games released have been cross generation. A game like Batman is going to be a big deal for both the PS4 and XB1, games like that and even eventually COD goes current generation only will help drive sales further. There's little doubt PS4 will pass 30 million this year but the question is by how many.
Comarketing for Arkham being on PS4 is a big deal. I think Sony will push it as hard as they did Destiny.

MGSV will move units too, even being cross gen.

PS4 selling 20 million is hugely impressive to me for the simple fact that the majority of 3rd party games released have been cross generation. A game like Batman is going to be a big deal for both the PS4 and XB1, games like that and eventually COD going current generation only will help drive sales further. There's little doubt PS4 will pass 30 million this year but the question is by how much.

Last gen sales dropped off the cliff in a lot of cases. Dragon Ball Xenoverse on the PS4 debuted at #4 in the UK while the PS3 version didn't even make the top 40. Xenoverse across all platforms also outperformed the last three DB games combined in their first week.

Josh5890

I bought mine day 1. I haven't used it as much yet but the best days are ahead for the system. No doubt in my mind.

spwolf

Given Sony hasn't exactly released their highest quality games quite yet on the first party front, this is quite impressive. It just goes to show you that having the best games and a platform that was built for the right reasons pretty much from the beginning, will get you this result and this is with a 400 dollar price tag. You could consider the Wii an anomaly in this because not only did it really not have the software but it was much cheaper than the ps4 was during the same time frame. This is much more impressive to me given the current landscape and the fact that the ps4 hasn't taken off quite yet in markets like Japan and the soon to be launched China market.

*Google voice putting in that work for me

i dont think it can really sell any faster overall... as time passes, more games and lower pricing will lure in those who are undecided and who might not be heavy gamers but rate of sales wont be faster than in past 1.5 years...

Upfront
money talks.

Why would Microsoft even do that at this point? Its pretty clear that unless they're moneyhatting Cod or GTA, the exclusive they're getting aren't going to affect sales much.

They don't really need to respond though. Unlike MS sony is playing the WW game and unless ps4 fails to reach their sales targets for the US they're gonna take profit over market share. Especially since the US market is only 30-35% of their overall sales.
Sony is not Apple. More to the point: they can't afford to be Apple just yet.

I know that goes into the "lol Sony broke" trolling but I assure you I was born human. Simple fact is, if they cut the price they'll sell many more units and more than make up for the reduced price by simply having more subs and attach rates.

....I think....

Percy

Banned
Wow... not bad at all. I predicted 20 million by end of march back just after Christmas I think, but it seems I was underestimating a bit.

PS4 must be killing in Europe, because in USA apparently is not so hot.

Does 'bh' stand for 'butt hurt' by any chance? :p

Seriously though, this does seem an odd statement all things considered.

Bgamer90

Banned
This shows how little PS4 depends on the U.S. because the January NPD was less than 200K. Think about that.

Yep. MS needs U.S. far more than Sony does. PS4 would more than likely be doing similarly even if the Xbox One was in the top spot in America.

Both consoles releasing during the same year pretty much set everything up in terms of what console would get the top spot worldwide.

But does resolution really matter? Don't read too much into it.

More like "Does completely alienating your future fanbase matter during the biggest press video game press conference matter?"

While I'm sure specs matter and factor in to all this, Microsoft lost when they were $100 more expensive and had one of the worst PR disasters ever recorded for a console launch.

Top Bottom