• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Battlefield 1 multiplayer is really much smoother with 64 players now. Playing a big match right now. Fire and explosions everywhere and the framerate is really better.
Damn, i love my Pro.

Arttemis

Well, just bought a Firecuda 2TB drive off eBay. I'm holding off for a black friday type deal for the pro, but I'll hold on to my OG PS4 so I can do a direct transfer from my current shitty, noisy seagate 2TB drive to a hopefully-quieter/faster 2TB drive in the Pro.

God, I hope this thing is quieter.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Dumb question : Can I swap the SSD from my old PS4 directly to the Pro ?
Technically, yes. You would need to format it and update firmware, but yes. You will lose all content. The only way to not lose the content is to back it up or transfer contents to that drive when it is installed and functioning with firmware.

BFIB

Will be at GameStop when they open to get my console. Then coming home and setting it up, playing most of the day.

Off Friday as well, but I have a two year old, so my playtime will be minimal.

Djin1979

You could, but it'd wipe the SSD as its encrypted with the PS4 you took it out off.
You'd need to either wipe it and start again, or do a data back up via one of teh few ways they offer.

Technically, yes. You would need to format it and update firmware, but yes. You will lose all content. The only way to not lose the content is to back it up or transfer contents to that drive when it is installed and functioning with firmware.

Thanks guys !

Venom Fox

Banned
Thinking of buying a 4K TV to go with my new Pro. Only thing I'm getting nervous about is the fact that games like BF1 may not have the FPS boost at 4K compared to 1080p.

I don't know what to do GAF.

jobrro

Just got my Pro in Japan from Amazon. Swapped in my 2TB M9T and restoring a 576.5GB backup from a USB3 drive. Started off saying like 14 hours, but quickly went down to 3 hours, from the progress indicator seems to be doing approximately 70MB/s.

mandiller

Just picked up my Pro and BF1. Heading home to set it up.
So do we still have no info on the Pro patch? Some people report improvement already with no new patch but no one can show definitive proof it's rendering native 1080p instead of 900p or whatever. I feel like we just talk around in circles

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Thinking of buying a 4K TV to go with my new Pro. Only thing I'm getting nervous about is the fact that games like BF1 may not have the FPS boost at 4K compared to 1080p.

I don't know what to do GAF.

Hold off on 4KTV until more information is available. -after all Black Friday Deals haven't hit full swing yet and you might score a good deal along with more information.

newsguy

Is there anywhere I can get impressions of nba 2k17 on the pro? I read the patch notes which state native 4k AND 60fps. Color me skeptical. I know it's not as graphically intensive as other games, but I still need impressions. I would love for this to be the case.

Ugh... Everything setup, now waiting for my 700GB backup to restore. Then I have to download patches for Dishonored, Tomb Raider and Deus Ex on my 4mbps ADSL... Still pumped. :p

Just got my Pro here in Japan and I'm doing a data transfer via my wired network from my old PS4. It's only 330GB but it's gonna take 7 hours...FML.

Glassboy

Wait so BF4 is already patched? Lol. Everybody has been waiting around all week wondering when the patch was gonna drop. Wouldn't DICE just say that it's already out?

Wait so BF4 is already patched? Lol. Everybody has been waiting around all week wondering when the patch was gonna drop. Wouldn't DICE just say that it's already out?

People think maybe dice didn't talked about it because Microsoft has the Battlefield 1 marketing deal.

It's stable. Will the graphs show a fully locked 60fps? Hard to tell, but it's night and day compared to the jerky performance offered up by the PS4/X1S in 64 player modes.

Yeah, I mean, in general for all games, not just BF1. I can handle occasional frame drops, but BF1 on PS4 is practically unplayable for me. TF2 and IW are tolerable, but the closer to consistent 60 the better.

[Asmodean]

Can anyone confirm if there is scaling done for regular, unpatched ps4 games to 2160p output?. Like the XB One S. I mean output scaling here, not render scaling.

For a '4k' display, or anything higher than 1080p - currently the existing ps4 only supports an output of 1080p. So when running games, the games are first upscaled to 1080 by the ps4 (where applicable) and then the ps4 is scaled from 1080p to 2160p by the display. Which is obviously not ideal for many reasons.

ps;
I also really don't like the fact they're intentionally gimping the ps4 pro's processing when running existing ps4 games w/o a patch. to exactly match the old ps4 specs. They could have enabled the extra power for more stable frames on existing games, if they wanted to.

Sanke__

So is the system software file for a new hard drive the same for regular PS4 and PS4 Pro?

Really dumb that it doesn't specify on their website.

DBT85

From the screenshots it looks fairly minor. It might just be that they slipped something in at launch.

Metfanant

[Asmodean];223894443 said:
Can anyone confirm if there is scaling done for regular, unpatched ps4 games to 2160p output?. Like the XB One S. I mean output scaling here, not render scaling.

For a '4k' display, or anything higher than 1080p - currently the existing ps4 only supports an output of 1080p. So when running games, the games are first upscaled to 1080 by the ps4 (where applicable) and then the ps4 is scaled from 1080p to 2160p by the display. Which is obviously not ideal for many reasons.

ps;
I also really don't like the fact they're intentionally gimping the ps4 pro's processing when running existing ps4 games w/o a patch. to exactly match the old ps4 specs. They could have enabled the extra power for more stable frames on existing games, if they wanted to.

Yes, the Pro will upscale everything to 4k...and yes THEY certainly COULD have allowed the Pro to operate at higher clocks to give performance increases in unpatched games...

However, Mark Cerny clearly insinuated that he ran across some problems with at least some games when doing this, so Sony opted to play it safe

Abylim

just got home, picked one up!!

I swapped the HDD for my old 2tb, was that a dumb move? I dont know how fast the one that comes with it is >_<

Super excited though!

Top Bottom