• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Yeah I just used to latest version of the full fresh install file which is about 850MB.

Out of curiosity, did you got with FAT32 or ExFAT for the file structure on the USB stick?
Or if anyone can give me some indication.
I cant remember which one it is and the PS4 site doesnt actually state what it should be, unless I've missed it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Out of curiosity, did you got with FAT32 or ExFAT for the file structure on the USB stick?
I cant remember which one it is and the PS4 site doesnt actually state what it should be, unless I've missed it.

Last time I did it it was FAT32, so I know that works. I'd think exFAT works as well, but I wouldn't know.
Edit: seems both work.

I go exFAT ever since I ran into an install loop on a FAT32 drive a while back where it refused to install the FW at all for some reason.

Not sure if the two are even related but that was my experience at the time.

torontoml

Got mine hooked up, marantz receiver to 1080p TV, but when I went to use Netflix I get a popup saying the content cant be displayed as my TV doesn't support HDCP 2.2, which obviously it wouldn't since its not 4K. What is going on?

EDIT: So just figured out its a message from my reciever not the PS4, as I can hear the menu when I push the PS Button (it was displaying without issue before, and did come back the first time I pushed the PS Button.

So obviously the PS4 is sending a 4k signal to the receiver which can't be displayed to the TV. Is there a way to set the PS4 to max 1080p output?

Got mine hooked up, marantz receiver to 1080p TV, but when I went to use Netflix I get a popup saying the content cant be displayed as my TV doesn't support HDCP 2.2, which obviously it wouldn't since its not 4K. What is going on?

Try turning off HDCP in console video settings.

jobrro

Like DeadlyVirus said, exFat. It's on the same external HDD as my restore file, but a stick would be fine too.

Last time I did it it was FAT32, so I know that works. I'd think exFAT works as well, but I wouldn't know.
Edit: seems both work.

I go exFAT ever since I ran into an install loop on a FAT32 drive a while back where it refused to install the FW at all for some reason.

Not sure if the two are even related but that was my experience at the time.

Awesome, ta.

I'll use ExFAT.
Does the allocation size need to change from 32 kilobytes to anything, or just simply change the file system to ExFAT and click Start?

[Asmodean]

Yes, the Pro will upscale everything to 4k...and yes THEY certainly COULD have allowed the Pro to operate at higher clocks to give performance increases in unpatched games...

However, Mark Cerny clearly insinuated that he ran across some problems with at least some games when doing this, so Sony opted to play it safe

Thanks for the info.

Hawk269

Thinking of buying a 4K TV to go with my new Pro. Only thing I'm getting nervous about is the fact that games like BF1 may not have the FPS boost at 4K compared to 1080p.

I don't know what to do GAF.

Expecting a game like BF1 to have a FPS boost at 4k is really asking a hell of a lot from the Pro.

I would temper my expectations on what it can do.

Fisty

Anyone can answer this? I am getting mine tonight at 9pm PST, but won't be able to use until tomorrow evening due to having to be at work very early in the AM.

Pretty sure Cerny said they were using 512MB extra ram for 4K rendered dashboard

Glassboy

From the screenshots it looks fairly minor. It might just be that they slipped something in at launch.
I'm just surprised that no website has mentioned multiplayer running smoother. It's what so many people have been clamoring to know more about.

DBT85

I'm just surprised that no website has mentioned multiplayer running smoother. It's what so many people have been clamoring to know more about.

Most I don't think it had any improvements since there's been no information about it. Since PS4 games run in base mode, if you don't think there's a patch you won't bother testing it.

DOWN

Banned

Hawk269

[Asmodean];223894443 said:
Can anyone confirm if there is scaling done for regular, unpatched ps4 games to 2160p output?. Like the XB One S. I mean output scaling here, not render scaling.

For a '4k' display, or anything higher than 1080p - currently the existing ps4 only supports an output of 1080p. So when running games, the games are first upscaled to 1080 by the ps4 (where applicable) and then the ps4 is scaled from 1080p to 2160p by the display. Which is obviously not ideal for many reasons.

ps;
I also really don't like the fact they're intentionally gimping the ps4 pro's processing when running existing ps4 games w/o a patch. to exactly match the old ps4 specs. They could have enabled the extra power for more stable frames on existing games, if they wanted to.

This is for everyone, not just you but I am quoting your post.

If you set the Pro to output to 4k, the system will do the upscaling. If you don't have 4k set in the settings and your are using a 4k TV, your TV will do the upscaling of the image to the TV's native resolution which would be 4k. Some TV's can do scaling better than a console does, but with others the console could do a better job. You should test to see how it handles both.

The outstanding question I have is if you set it to 1080p, which then the TV will upscale the image to 4k, if you have a game that does 4k natively will you be able to select 4k in the games menu and the system will send the pure 4k source to the TV or would it send a down sampled image and then the TV will upscale to 4k?

This is something we cannot answer with the Xbox One S since no games are native 4k or above 1080p at all. Even though the "S" has 4k output options, no games are above 1080p, whereas on the Pro we do have native 4k games, so knowing what options are within the game and how the system settings treat these will tell us what the best set up will be.

just got home, picked one up!!

I swapped the HDD for my old 2tb, was that a dumb move? I dont know how fast the one that comes with it is >_<

Super excited though!

I swapped mine with the 2TB I had in my other PS4 too, and both drives were 5400RPM.

The trick is you have to make sure you format with Master Boot Record instead of GUID.

Hawk269

I have the following games that support the Pro:

Uncharted 4
Last of Us
Elder Scrolls Online
Ratchet & Clank

What newer game that takes advantage of the Pro should I pick up with my system? I want something more new, but something that really takes advantage of the system. Gamestop had a listing of games that have Pro support and Mafia 3 stood out, but I have not heard what enhancements the Pro version of Mafia 3 does.

Any suggestions for Pro Enhanced games do you recommend?

Peterthumpa

I have the following games that support the Pro:

Uncharted 4
Last of Us
Elder Scrolls Online
Ratchet & Clank

What newer game that takes advantage of the Pro should I pick up with my system? I want something more new, but something that really takes advantage of the system. Gamestop had a listing of games that have Pro support and Mafia 3 stood out, but I have not heard what enhancements the Pro version of Mafia 3 does.

Any suggestions for Pro Enhanced games do you recommend?

Dishonored 2, NBA 2K7, Titanfall 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, to name a few.
EDIT: Also, The Last of Us, while not exactly new, has a native 4K/30 FPS mode.

Padinn

Looks like my PS4 Pro is in Ocala already, it might arrive tomorrow instead of Monday as originally indicated :) (I'm near Tampa)

Saberus

anyone that has theirs yet and only have a 1080p TV willing to try the netlfix app and see if it works?

I got the dreaded,, HDCP 2.2 error.. think you need to use a different input for your pro on the amp? I'm going to try it, because the input I was using is the 2.2 one

I need to use that to format a USB stick to ExFAT inorder to use it on the PS4 to install the firmware instead of just using the default GUI built into Windows?

Seems a bit excessive? lol

No, it's a part of the formatting process. Does not have to do with the GUI.

Im not sure how evident this is on Windows, but on a Mac, you specifically have to choose Master Boot Record. This is after choosing exFAT or Fat32.

1Dbey.jpg

I was hoping mine would arrive today, but apparently JB-HI-FI's 'ship one day before release' policy actually means pick the stock and scan it on that day at 8:30 and not ship it until the following day.

Yes in the US. I physically walked in, asked if they are doing any specials with the PS4 Pro and he said "yeah we are doing $200 trade in for original PS4's".

Hopefully he was true on his world when I come in tomorrow morning to pick it up.
What retailer is doing this?

Top Bottom