• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Aspiring

So i took mine home and all is good. Looks incredible. It seems my TV only supports 2160p YUV though. The RGB option is greyed out and says not available. I know it didnt do HDR but no idea if thats a bad thing or not. But it still looks great regardless.

I dont understand why not though considering it says that my HDMI Port that its plugged in is HDMI 2.0 Isnt thats what is required for RGB?

Cool OT. I should be getting mine tomorrow, but I probably won't really get to play it until early next week due to work, UFC, and having to download some games as I tend to go digital. Still excited to open it though!!

MrMatt555

Just picked mine up from Gamestop and my ex-manager (former coworker) hooked me up with a pre-owned copy of Cod IW with a fresh cod4 code intact. Will beat campaigns and return it

DOWN

Banned
Wait so even if the game isn't patched it will upscale all games to 4K?? Did I read that right?
Don't get excited. It's no different than how all games technically output at 1080p to your tv when played on base PS4, even if the game runs at 900p or whatever. It just is normal upscaling for people who have 4K TVs.

[Asmodean]

This is for everyone, not just you but I am quoting your post.

If you set the Pro to output to 4k, the system will do the upscaling. If you don't have 4k set in the settings and your are using a 4k TV, your TV will do the upscaling of the image to the TV's native resolution which would be 4k. Some TV's can do scaling better than a console does, but with others the console could do a better job. You should test to see how it handles both.

The outstanding question I have is if you set it to 1080p, which then the TV will upscale the image to 4k, if you have a game that does 4k natively will you be able to select 4k in the games menu and the system will send the pure 4k source to the TV or would it send a down sampled image and then the TV will upscale to 4k?

This is something we cannot answer with the Xbox One S since no games are native 4k or above 1080p at all. Even though the "S" has 4k output options, no games are above 1080p, whereas on the Pro we do have native 4k games, so knowing what options are within the game and how the system settings treat these will tell us what the best set up will be.

This is only speculation in terms of the PS4 Pro, specifically. But from what I know about scaling in general. It would be determined by the system setting (PS4) and read by the game. The game in itself has no communication with your display to resolve what resolution it is. So it would only read what the PS4 flag is 'telling it'.

I expect that If the Pro was set to 1080p, regardless of what your display's resolution actually is. The game will read it as 1080p, and behave in whatever manner it has set for the 1080p 'mode' of downsampling, etc.

You would end up with similar behavior to the issue I raised with the current PS4. Where you have two 'layers' of scaling going on. One done initially by the PS4 to bring the game from whatever rendering resolution it is resolved at to the max PS4 output (1080p). Then the display would take over and scale up the whole PS4's image from the example 1080p res.

Don't get excited. It's no different than how all games technically output at 1080p to your tv when played on base PS4, even if the game runs at 900p or whatever. It just is normal upscaling for people who have 4K TVs.

While I get what you mean. That's not entirely true. As I mention above, at resolutions other than your display's native (higher than 1080p). You have effectively got two 'layers' of scaling going on. One from the console itself, and a second from the display. Which will result in worse IQ, versus only using one scaling source. not to mention worse interpolation from each frame going trough two different scaling techniques.

jobrro

Well my restore from USB drive is just about finished. A little less than 2.5 hours for a 576.5GB restore.

leng jai

hpC7D8n.jpg

Definitely not as nice looking as the Xbox S or OG PS4, but it's not ugly.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
If I have a 1080p tv, do I set the pro to output to 1080 or 4K?

In regards to getting supersampling at 1080p.

I really shot myself in the foot by going straight into a data transfer from my old PS4 right away...It's still gonna take another 5 hours until it finishes. I should've just signed in, made it my main PS4 and re-downloaded the games I wanted to. Sigh...can't give up now though I'm halfway there.

Haines

Banned
If I have a 1080p tv, do I set the pro to output to 1080 or 4K?

In regards to getting supersampling at 1080p.

1080p

A lot of people get hung up on this. Its very simple. Put it to your tvs res. everyone is overthinking supersampling.

Just got back from Gamestop with a new Pro, very excited to set it up and check out some games.

Can anyone tell me if I can just set it up and start playing, or do I need to wipe my account info off of my old PS4 first?

nikos

On my way home from Sony's NYC launch event. Ended up winning a raffle for a PSVR bundle + games! They also gave away some swag. Great night, overall.

leng jai

The details in-game on Pro enhanced back log titles is pretty vague. TLOU for example doesn't say anything about it aside from having 30FPS on/off. I assume off means 60fps 1800p and 30fps is 4K with high end shadows. Infamous just has an option for higher resolution or higher frame rate. Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank don't mention it at so I assume they just have one mode.

IQ in every title I've tried is absolutely insane on my 1080p plasma, especially Ratchet.

j-wood

So if I only have a 1080p set, I know I set the pro to 1080p res. But what about game settings? Should I set those to 4K mode?

The details in-game on Pro enhanced back log titles is pretty vague. TLOU for example doesn't say anything about it aside from having 30FPS on/off. I assume off means 60fps 1800p and 30fps is 4K with high end shadows. Infamous just has an option for higher resolution or higher frame rate. Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank don't mention it at so I assume they just have one mode.

IQ in every title I've tried is absolutely insane on my 1080p plasma, especially Ratchet.

Second Son has downsampled 4K on 1080p mode and 60fps and 4K, correct me if i am wrong. I am going by Push Square's video of the game!

Malcolm9

I think it's a great looking console, especially in person. I prefer the round edges compared to my OG PS4, which also had the shiny HDD cover plate, all matte is so much better.

Why do people keep calling the XONE S sexy, is it? It's just just a shrunk version of the original, which wasn't an amazing design anyway.

Hawk269

Wait so even if the game isn't patched it will upscale all games to 4K?? Did I read that right?

From my understanding the way it works is if you have your PS4 Pro in the settings set to 4k, then everything will be up scaled to 4k by the PS4 Pro and then passed to the TV as a 4k signal. If you have the Pro set to 1080p and hooked up to a 4k TV, then the TV will receive the signal at 1080p, but then the TV would process it and upscale it to it's native resolution of 4k.

No matter which way you go, if you have a 4k set, the image will be scaled to 4k. It just comes down to if you want the system doing the scalling or your TV. If your TV is shitty at upscaling then have the Pro do it...if you have a top of the line 4k set, perhaps the TV can scale the image better.

Regardless, a 1080p signal scaled to 4k will look very close to a 1080p image in the end. Some say things look a little cleaner and in my experience with the Xbox One S, it does look a little cleaner versus running the same game on a 1080p set, but that also could just come down to the 4k screen being better at processing the image etc.

It will not make all your 1080p PS4 games even without a patch magically better and be 4k though. The TV will display it in 4k, but it is taking a 1080p or lower source and scaling it and that is it. Games that do native 4k will look a lot better or checkerboard 4k will look better than standard 1080p. I am still downloading updates and patches on my Pro, even though I should be in bed due to work in the morning.

icespide

Banned
I think it's a great looking console, especially in person. I prefer the round edges compared to my OG PS4, which also had the shiny HDD cover plate, all matte is so much better.

Why do people keep calling the XONE S sexy, is it? It's just just a shrunk version of the original, which wasn't an amazing design anyway.
you're short changing the XB1S a bit. It is a very nice looking console.

Aspiring

Can someone help.

Ok so i kept my OG PS4 and moved into my other room for my sons. I made my ps4 pro the primary. Now whe they try and play minecraft they either lock me out or cannot play.

Is there not a way they can play on the other ps4 the same time as me?

finalflame

Is the patch for The Witness out yet? It's kind of hard to know if something is outputting 4K or not, and I thought The Witness was gonna have multiple modes.

Hawk269

you're short changing the XB1S a bit. It is a very nice looking console.

If he things the Xbox One S is just a smaller Xbox One and that is it, he clearly has not seen a Xbox One S. It was a total redesign of the system and anyone who has seen one would never conclude that it looks the same as an OG Xbox One, just smaller.

harz-marz

I am really looking forward to playing through Tomb Raider again. It's disappointing that Uncharted 4 hasn't had the same TLC, considering its such a flagship game.

Can someone help.

Ok so i kept my OG PS4 and moved into my other room for my sons. I made my ps4 pro the primary. Now whe they try and play minecraft they either lock me out or cannot play.

Is there not a way they can play on the other ps4 the same time as me?

If you want to share your games you have to make the old playstation your primary. Then they can play on their own accounts.

[Asmodean]

From my understanding the way it works is if you have your PS4 Pro in the settings set to 4k, then everything will be up scaled to 4k by the PS4 Pro and then passed to the TV as a 4k signal. If you have the Pro set to 1080p and hooked up to a 4k TV, then the TV will receive the signal at 1080p, but then the TV would process it and upscale it to it's native resolution of 4k.

No matter which way you go, if you have a 4k set, the image will be scaled to 4k. It just comes down to if you want the system doing the scalling or your TV. If your TV is shitty at upscaling then have the Pro do it...if you have a top of the line 4k set, perhaps the TV can scale the image better.

Regardless, a 1080p signal scaled to 4k will look very close to a 1080p image in the end. Some say things look a little cleaner and in my experience with the Xbox One S, it does look a little cleaner versus running the same game on a 1080p set, but that also could just come down to the 4k screen being better at processing the image etc.

It will not make all your 1080p PS4 games even without a patch magically better and be 4k though. The TV will display it in 4k, but it is taking a 1080p or lower source and scaling it and that is it. Games that do native 4k will look a lot better or checkerboard 4k will look better than standard 1080p. I am still downloading updates and patches on my Pro, even though I should be in bed due to work in the morning.

This isn't as straightforward as it is on PC. Where you can have either the display, OR the gpu doing the scaling. (see this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=223904529&postcount=865)

If you're not outputting at your display's native resolution (during gameplay). you're going to have double upscaling from two different sources, which will definitely have a negative affect on IQ versus a single scaling source.

Top Bottom