• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro Reviews

onQ123

If you're being serious:
1. The PS4 Pro's GPU is approximately 2.5x as powerful as the standard PS4s. The CPU, bus, etc. are still major limits, but GPU is the primary factor in resolution so it's a decent sized upgrade.
2. I don't know of any games that are native 4K on PS4 Pro that were 900p on PS4. I think all of the games that are native 4K on PS4 Pro were 1080p in PS4. This is only a small list of games though.
3. Most games are using special techniques to reach higher resolutions. The most common of them is checkerboard rendering. You can find a general explanation of it starting on slide 44 here though exact implementations vary. To put it simply, its a way to render half the pixels and approximate the rest based upon previous frames, but for 4K many outlets have said that it's very difficult to differentiate from native 4K.

The Witness but that's because it has a 30fps mode now but it went from 900P on PS4 to native 4K on PS4 Pro

Gator86

Haha this thread has turned to complete shit. Why is anyone discussing the Xbone S at all? It's completely irrelevant.

OmahaG8

Seriously. Sony is robbing people blind. $399 for what Xbox One S does for $299 with 4K bluray. And u don't even need patches.

The Scorpio is going to take Xbox One S's 4K to Native uncompressed 4K pixels man it's going to very amazingly.

A year later and at what price?

Humdinger

Gold Member
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ps4-pro/3

"But there’s one last area that we wanted to cover here, and that’s how PS4 Pro enhances the PlayStation VR experience. Ever since its announcement, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Andrew House has touted the PS4 Pro’s ability to enhance PSVR games. We're happy to report that he’s absolutely right – games run noticeably better on this machine. PS4 Pro Mode titles feel like they’re not only better looking with more detailed textures, but they also feel a hair faster in terms of framerate on the new system.

The bottom line? If you’re new to the Sony ecosystem and plan on buying a PlayStation VR alongside a console, you should definitely shell out for the PlayStation 4 Pro."

That's good news.

So is "native 4K" a bunch of lies? I realise it outputs at 4K, but is it no different than how the Xbox One outputs 1080p by scaling?

I assume there will be true 4k games released on it at some point.

Re: scaling, I think it was confirmed a while ago it uses checkerboard rendering which is a type of dynamic scaling. If you're of the belief that, "You're either upscaling or you're not", then, yes, it's upscaling.

I will absolutely get one of these at some point. I know that because the few times I play my PS4 I think, "I wish this game was on PC so I could have higher resolution, better textures and performance." I will also be grabbing a PSVR along with it because RE7:VR is, right now, my most anticipated game as far out as I can think. It may even make me pull the trigger a lot faster but even then it'll be a while. My PC is a beast and I plan to upgrade in ~6 months; it'll hold me over until that stuff drops in price.

ghibli99

Wait, there are folks who actually think what the XB1S and PS4P are outputting are identical? OK, now I think I've seen everything...

Cancelled Amazon pre order today. Got a gaming PC earlier this year it's allowing me to play games in native 4K. I guess when there's some exclusives I need to get I'll rethink.

This is the first time in years I haven't bought a new gaming machine just because it's new, guess I'm getting older ha ha

coopolon

Do any of the reviews mention impressions on ratchet and clank? Looked through a few and didn't see any, thinking that will be the only patched game I get when getting it on Thursday.

BigEmil

They don't care. Their games sell like crazy already. Why put in effort? It's not like they were punished for Skyrim on PS3 which was literally broken if you played it long enough.
Its why I never support Bethesda, if I really have to buy that game I'll buy it preowned

Wait, there are folks who actually think what the XB1S and PS4P are outputting are identical? OK, now I think I've seen everything...

Well, when you've got the biggest PlayStation podcast in the world making that point, I could see how people may be confused...

DOWN

Banned
Really disappointed with what DF found out about the PS4 pro. I just hope that it's underwhelming because it's at launch, but games like Uncharted 4 should have had checkerboarding to 4k instead to 1440p increase. Same with other games. The issue here is that 1080p users have less reasons to upgrade. I think I would spend the extra money for the pro if I am shopping for a PS4, but since I am not it's not worth it, especially now. The embarrassing thing is that I have already sold my PS4 and bought the pro from Amazon. It's too late to reconsider getting the pro at this point for me, but I just hope I don't regret it.
In fairness, future titles like Horizon and Days Gone are doing checkerboard. Uncharted 4 was a completed game already before checkerboard was a consideration.

jaypah

Thread got super weird. Expected I suppose.

Anyway this seems like a nice upgrade if you can get a decent price for your OG PS4. If you're coming in fresh it's a hell of a value to go from no PS4 to a Pro for $400. Good job Sony! 👍

specdot

Cancelled Amazon pre order today. Got a gaming PC earlier this year it's allowing me to play games in native 4K. I guess when there's some exclusives I need to get I'll rethink.

This is the first time in years I haven't bought a new gaming machine just because it's new, guess I'm getting older ha ha
Nah, I just think you've been on Gaf too long. =p

anddo0

People expecting anything more from Bethesda on a PlayStation platform hasn't been paying attention to Bethesda games on a PlayStation platform for the last decade.

Skyrim is the first game I've heard about all day to actually run worse.. Something doesn't sound right, will wait for DF.

I'm worried about Dishonored 2.. Might just get it on PC. if the definitive version couldn't run at 60fps, part 2 is going to be a mess.. Hope not.

Sorry to pop in without reading the entire thread, but did any of the reviewers cover hard drive speeds?

Hoping the stock hard drive is better than OG PS4 since it's Sata3. I have 1GB traveler I can throw in there.. Too many games coming to burn another $100 on a hard drive.

ValeYard

Slim quiet level come on now your being too unrealistic consider the power and hardware inside this, its an impressive feat they achieved. I'm surprised its not much higher as I was expecting tbh

It was hope, not realistic? Probably. However, the 55 dB Digital Foundry measured during Infamous is a bit loud and they mention noticeable pitch of the fan changing speeds.

Also, I was answering to posts quoting a website saying that the Pro was the quietest PS4 yet, ergo quieter than a slim.

truth411

Seriously. Sony is robbing people blind. $399 for what Xbox One S does for $299 with 4K bluray. And u don't even need patches.

The Scorpio is going to take Xbox One S's 4K to Native uncompressed 4K pixels man it's going to very amazingly.
Joke post? Xbox One S is weaker than the OG PS4. Pro is scaling from a much higher native resolution than 792p-900p from Xbox.

anddo0

wait shadow of mordor has a 60fps mode??

Nope.. I went back to look at Gamespots video and they posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUyMJvrfnhI
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is a 4K/30fps game. This gameplay was captured at 4K/60fps from the PS4 Pro console which currently only outputs at 4K/60fps. GameSpot did not encode this footage from 4K/30 to 4K/60. It is presented on YouTube at 4K/60 in some browsers, including Google's Chrome browser. If this resolution and frame rate are not available to you, your browser may not support the video format.

very misleading..

oatmeal

Banned
Definitely in for this, but am going to wait a month or so for all of the games getting patches to have them in so the experience is fluid.

Occam

Shouldn't all newly released games (eg all PSVR titles) have PS4 Pro modes already? Didn't PS4 Pro support become mandatory in October?

Top Bottom